Let The Firings Begin

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

APB wrote:
20 Jan 2024 22:30
He’s not going anywhere. He pulled his own head off the chopping block with very good defensive games against very good offenses to close the season.
I agree. I'd like to see him gone as I am sure the roller coaster of his unit will continue. Best case is he is kept on as more of an advisor.

Matt has a hard time firing coaches.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

We do not need to "fire" Barry, his contract is likely up.

I think we should hold open interviews for DC, but as it stands, it's very hard for me to argue against bringing Barry back. I wouldn't, but none of our season-ending losses have been his fault, in fact his unit has played pretty well in all of them.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
20 Jan 2024 22:52

I think we should hold open interviews for DC, but as it stands, it's very hard for me to argue against bringing Barry back. I wouldn't, but none of our season-ending losses have been his fault, in fact his unit has played pretty well in all of them.
I agree. He was not the reason the Packers lost yesterday, but that does not mean he can't be upgraded. Problem is that there are no obvious replacements that would be a likely improvement.

Just a fyi, though. The Packers would likely have won that game with Rasul. I hope MLF and the front office realize how badly they screwed up.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

TheSkeptic wrote:
21 Jan 2024 04:23
Labrev wrote:

I agree. He was not the reason the Packers lost yesterday, but that does not mean he can't be upgraded. Problem is that there are no obvious replacements that would be a likely improvement.

Just a fyi, though. The Packers would likely have won that game with Rasul. I hope MLF and the front office realize how badly they screwed up.
The only difference keeping Rasul would have made is if they had put him at safety. Our safeties are the major problem on defense.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

williewasgreat wrote:
21 Jan 2024 05:10
TheSkeptic wrote:
21 Jan 2024 04:23
Labrev wrote:

The only difference keeping Rasul would have made is if they had put him at safety. Our safeties are the major problem on defense.
Yeah, I'm really struggling to think of a game where Rasul, a strictly outside corner, would have made an obvious difference. Yes, there was the one game we started Stokes, but that was a bad decision, not something forced by the lack of Rasul; Ballentine and Valentine were both healthy.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I agree. Barry has saved his job.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

texas wrote:
21 Jan 2024 12:15
I agree. Barry has saved his job.
Knowing this regime, I would be shocked if Carlson is NOT back without real competition. He needs to be cut and his replacement drafted even if it takes a day 2 pick

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Sandbagger Joe needs to go. He isn't as aggressive as I'd like to see. He doesn't hide his scheme as much as I'd like either. But I don't have a say. If he gets a new contract, then I fully expect to cry about our defense in September and October again. But this year, I'll be optimistic that our offense can score >30 most weeks.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Jan 2024 17:09
Sandbagger Joe needs to go. He isn't as aggressive as I'd like to see. He doesn't hide his scheme as much as I'd like either. But I don't have a say. If he gets a new contract, then I fully expect to cry about our defense in September and October again. But this year, I'll be optimistic that our offense can score >30 most weeks.
I really hated how he played that final drive. When you are up 4....PLAY AGGRESSIVE.

Get off the field. Whether it is with the score not changing or giving the ball back to your offense with time left.

The way we played was the worst way to play it. The 9ers get a TD AND only gives us a minute left. And that is why I feel like we need to move on.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jan 2024 17:56
Scott4Pack wrote:
I really hated how he played that final drive. When you are up 4....PLAY AGGRESSIVE.

Get off the field. Whether it is with the score not changing or giving the ball back to your offense with time left.

The way we played was the worst way to play it. The 9ers get a TD AND only gives us a minute left. And that is why I feel like we need to move on.
This all day! Good post!

NFL playoff games are not ever going to be won by playing it safe. Never, ever. To win in January, teams need to always be the aggressor. And that is not Joe Barry.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

Also, you have a guy who stinks under pressure and is pinpoint with time. So DOUBLY play aggressive.

Prevent D is how you play when you're up multiple scores and need to burn clock and make them go the length of the field in as many plays as possible.

It's not what you play when you're up a TD or less

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:05
go pak go wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

Also, you have a guy who stinks under pressure and is pinpoint with time. So DOUBLY play aggressive.

Prevent D is how you play when you're up multiple scores and need to burn clock and make them go the length of the field in as many plays as possible.

It's not what you play when you're up a TD or less
Right. Can't play to not lose. Must play to win. If you play to win and you still yield a big play drive for a TD, then so be it. That's a lot better than getting beat because you're so soft that you can't stop anything. Give me that 100% of the time.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I hate bend but don't break defenses. We just never seem to play downhill. Barry's defense played better because our offense controlled the clock so well the last 5 games. His performance against the Giants, Bucs, and Panthers were not outliers. Barry was lucky Purdy can't play when it's raining.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

packman114 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 21:02
I hate bend but don't break defenses. We just never seem to play downhill. Barry's defense played better because our offense controlled the clock so well the last 5 games. His performance against the Giants, Bucs, and Panthers were not outliers. Barry was lucky Purdy can't play when it's raining.
For that matter, compare Joe's defense against the Niners in the first 55 minutes of the game to Joe's defense in the last five minutes of the game. Different? Different result? Didn't he put them in a shell on that last drive, like he does most of the time? And look at the result.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Barry's contract isn't up this year. LaFleur admitted today that Barry is likely to return next year. Mother $%@#.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Trudge wrote:
22 Jan 2024 16:39
Barry's contract isn't up this year. LaFleur admitted today that Barry is likely to return next year. Mother $%@#.
So it seems

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

packman114 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 21:02
right , I understand the necessity to play coverage like that at times, specially if you have pass rush issues or poor secondary, but we have one of the best imho DL rotations in the league, every thing we do on defense should imo revolve around that, yet Barry is content sooo often to just rush 4 whether they get pressure or not and rely on deep shell prevent, while teams march down the field, use up clock, and score, we watched to often this season sub par talented QB's carve Joe Barry up.

they did it when we had Douglas, Alexander, Nixon, Savage, Ford, or all these puppy's, it doesn't seem to matter as others have said who is playing back there for Barry, whats strange, is that stuff really seems to make a difference on other defenses, studs stand out, that showed in the way we played the last 2 games in the first 3 quarter, got ta do that for all 60 minutes, I just don't have faith that Barry's capable of that. :aok:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I am sorry, but Barry did not lose that game. Dropped interceptions and that bad pass by Love that was tipped and the failed sneak lost that game and none of those failures had anything to do with Barry.

As for the bad pass by Love, that was after Tom got hurt and Love had no protection.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I would be in favor of moving on from Barry if a bonafide stud wanted to come to green bay.

Like say Vrabel as DC (he wont) or Selah becomes available.

But other than a homerun hire, there isnt much reason to move on. Barry coached well when his job was on the line. He coached well enough to win both playoff games too.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
22 Jan 2024 17:00
Trudge wrote:
22 Jan 2024 16:39
So it seems

so what made everyone think it was up?

Hes def coming back, which is fine with me
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23