Let The Hirings Begin!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Just can’t imagine this going well

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

It's not a slam-dunk but I think Quinn is a solid hire. I have heard that he is a good culture-change guy; I believe Wahle said it but can't remember for sure. There are few teams that need that more than Washington.

Yeah, we shredded his defense, but when your offense turns the ball over and scores no points, there's only so much a D can do. Not to mention the fact that they were decimated by injuries on D, and that Love grades in the positive against every type of coverage.

They really need a QB above all else. Then we can really see what Bieniemy can do, and if he's any good, Quinn's unit just needs to hold up their end. This is Washington, just being above 500 for a few seasons will be a huge achievement for them.

Not to mention, he's got intimate knowledge of a rival team.

I wonder if Aden Durde moves up the ranks either in Dallas or following Quinn to Washington.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
01 Feb 2024 10:42

Now THAT'S an uninspiring hire.

I'd absolutely hate being a Redski...er, Commanders diehard fan.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

My Commanders fan friends feel like it's just Rivera all over again in too many ways: he's a defensive-minded former HC who comes into the room with some level of respect, but not likely to take the org to the next level

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
01 Feb 2024 09:55
Todd Monken (SP) was in the final group to if memory serves, I remember we interviewed a bunch of prospects prior to the Lafleur hiring, It was the same with McCarthy, we don't seem to suffer from lack of do diligence, our HC coaching hires have almost always been pretty good ( Rhodes, ouch).
Well it couldn't have been Monken as a first choice since they could have hired him if he was. Gase and Flores each got hired that cycle (Jets and Dolphins). And MLF definitely is the best result from that group, so first choice or second choice, who cares; we found the right fit. Nailed it.

I'm hoping in a few years we can say the same about Hafley.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I'd think any coach hired by Washington would come with billfold wide open, I bet Washington had to ainty up big to get Quinn to come, gonna take a lot to turn that team around.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Feb 2024 11:46
Yoop wrote:
01 Feb 2024 09:55
Todd Monken (SP) was in the final group to if memory serves, I remember we interviewed a bunch of prospects prior to the Lafleur hiring, It was the same with McCarthy, we don't seem to suffer from lack of do diligence, our HC coaching hires have almost always been pretty good ( Rhodes, ouch).
Well it couldn't have been Monken as a first choice since they could have hired him if he was. Gase and Flores each got hired that cycle (Jets and Dolphins). And MLF definitely is the best result from that group, so first choice or second choice, who cares; we found the right fit. Nailed it.

I'm hoping in a few years we can say the same about Hafley.
good point, for some reason Monkens name popped up, then looked and He, Gase and Flores seemed like the finalist, mostly just remember we interviewed quite a few prospects, which is how it should be.

I know it's a chicken, egg thing, but imo it takes talent to make a coach, Haf will need a few studs to become a household name in the coaching circles and for us to have a top defense, need a better FS fo sure, probably lber replacement for Campbell, back 7 has to be able to cover if ya intend to play man,

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that MLF was the first HC hiring in that cycle.

So unless there was another candidate we wanted more that withdrew himself from the mix for us, I can only assume that MLF was our first choice. It sure sounded that way from what I remember Murphy's words in the press conference.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
01 Feb 2024 11:59
Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that MLF was the first HC hiring in that cycle.

So unless there was another candidate we wanted more that withdrew himself from the mix for us, I can only assume that MLF was our first choice. It sure sounded that way from what I remember Murphy's words in the press conference.
the advantages of firing a coach in season, ya get to start looking sooner, I read it took us 5 weeks of interviewing a dozen prospects before we settled on Lafleur, awesome diligence :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Al Harris is trending a bit on twitter after Tre Diggs tweeted his support for Harris as DC, as have other Cowboys fans. :o WAS fans also want Quinn to bring him on in that role.
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Feb 2024 11:44
My Commanders fan friends feel like it's just Rivera all over again in too many ways: he's a defensive-minded former HC who comes into the room with some level of respect, but not likely to take the org to the next level
Easy for me to say on the outside looking in, but this feels kind of like a hire to fire. I will be surprised if he makes it to Year 3.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
02 Feb 2024 08:32
YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Feb 2024 11:44
Easy for me to say on the outside looking in, but this feels kind of like a hire to fire. I will be surprised if he makes it to Year 3.
obviously Quinn needs the best OC Washington can buy, I havn't payed attention maybe he already has, plenty of defensive coaches have succeeded in the NFL, but mostly because they had a sharp up to date OC. and of course talented players for him.
sorta like we have here, our offense just reaps now of players that know how to win, and have the skills to back that up, and our DC is inheriting a formidable front 7 rotation, a all pro CB, and up and comer in Valentine, possibly Stokes as well, get a couple more studs and the sky is the limit, great times to be a Packer fan :aok:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
01 Feb 2024 15:52
Al Harris is trending a bit on twitter after Tre Diggs tweeted his support for Harris as DC, as have other Cowboys fans. :o WAS fans also want Quinn to bring him on in that role.
I saw some posts that Joe Whitt is favored to take over as DC in Dallas. Then again, I'm also seeing he's going to Washington in the same role. :idn:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

This is pretty telling about how the league regarded the Ravens defensive coaching staff. Interviews and hires abound. It also makes me wonder why Chris Hewitt didn’t even get a sniff for a HC or DC position…?

From [mention]Yoop[/mention]’s article posted earlier:
The Baltimore Ravens defensive staff caught the attention of NFL circles in this cycle. Besides coordinator Mike Macdonald who went on to be the Seahawks head coach, several position coaches got interviews.

Associate head coach/defensive line coach Anthony Weaver got a head coaching interview with the Washington Commanders and is still running for the Miami Dolphins DC job. Moreover, former Ravens defensive backs coach Dennard Wilson, who was also interviewed by the Packers, was hired as a defensive coordinator by the Tennessee Titans.
There is also the Orr interviews and eventual promotion to DC.

What is so obvious to the rest of the league that schmucks like me/us don’t see? Hewitt checks the success, experience, and step-stone position grooming blocks. I’d have thought he’d also be a hot commodity…?

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Joe Barry hired by the Phins. LBs coach/run game coordinator. He definitely know how to facilitate the run game.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
01 Feb 2024 10:42

I'm in Maryland (just outside of DC) this week. All the fans around here I've spoken with hardly seem to know that a coach got hired. hahaha. More of them here are Raven fans anyhow.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!