Packers DC Search

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

I'll keep resetting poll as we interview more.

Brandon Staley
8%
Bobby Babich
8%
Aden Durde
No votes
Christian Parker
8%
Chris Harris
17%
Zach Orr
8%
Denard Wilson
50%

Total votes: 12

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

really, he asked Leonard, Leonard turned him down, he asked another who's name slips my mind, he turned Matt down too, I heard, he then asked Barry, and Joe said hell ya I'll take it.

seems to me that Matt interviews his top choice first, if Staley leaves today minus a contract I will be mildly surprised

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
26 Jan 2024 10:13
really, he asked Leonard, Leonard turned him down, he asked another who's name slips my mind, he turned Matt down too, I heard, he then asked Barry, and Joe said hell ya I'll take it.

seems to me that Matt interviews his top choice first, if Staley leaves today minus a contract I will be mildly surprised
Idk about that. When we interviewed Leonard he was the top choice but there were 3 finalists according to some podcast I listened to. It was Leonard, Barry, and Evero. Leonard declined and we chose Barry like idiots. I would imagine there will again be a top 3 list and Lafleur will pick whichever guy he feels like would be a nice friend and good shoulder to cry on when times get tough.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 09:27

This, plus our loss, plus bucks hiring most overrated coach in history…this is worst week of my life
At least we can say when he had the chance, he’s been successful, #1 D in yards and points. Unlike Barry.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Is Leonhard formally being offered the job and turning it down just one of those things that repeated itself into accepted fact, like the Joe Barry was unsigned after this past year?

Or was it actually verified?

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Drj820 wrote:

This, plus our loss, plus bucks hiring most overrated coach in history…this is worst week of my life
I really don't have a strong opinion about too many candidates one way or another, but Brandon F'in Staley?

Please tell me this is just a joke. Please, please, please.

The Chargers DVOA rankings in 2023 26th (one ahead of Barry and the Packers), 2022 21st (4 spots better than Joe B and the boys), and 26th in 2021 (when Joe B had the Packers at 12).

Unless he is bringing Aaron Donald along with him, I want nothing to do with this guy who failed so miserably with the Chargers and who employs Vic Fangio's system that seems to have been figured out.

Can Murphy or Gutey please step in and save MLF from himself?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:

Just got back from a beautiful, unseasonably warm hike on the trails with the dogs and found myself in a great mood.

Then I saw this post.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 10:19
Drj820 wrote:

At least we can say when he had the chance, he’s been successful, #1 D in yards and points. Unlike Barry.

took 2 HOF players to do it, look what happened with average talent, never topped top 20 with Chargers, to me he seems like Joe Barry in that regard.

he'll be a wait and see what happens hire to me, hard to be excited for another Fangio clone.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 10:20
Or was it actually verified?
I don't think it was ever clearly confirmed or denied.

What we do know is Leonhard interviewed for the position, made it to the second round with Barry and Evero, and then Leonhard decided that he was going to stay at UW before we announced our new DC, then (after a gap of time) we hire Joe Barry.

It is possible that Leonhard withdrew himself before any decision was made, but the timeline makes it seem like we offered the job to Leonhard, only for him to decide he'd rather stay at UW, and then after he withdrew, we needed a bit of time to figure out to go with Barry or Evero.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Is it fair to assume Brandon Staley was the indubitable DC and play-caller on defense for the Chargers? Or did he hand off those duties as HC? I didn't follow the Chargers closely during his HC tenure so don't want to just assume it was him. I do know his defense was NOT good during his tenure and it's not for lack of talent.

If he did, indeed, keep DC and play-calling responsibilities as the HC, then I have no idea why he's even being considered.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
26 Jan 2024 10:56
Is it fair to assume Brandon Staley was the indubitable DC and play-caller on defense for the Chargers? Or did he hand off those duties as HC? I didn't follow the Chargers closely during his HC tenure so don't want to just assume it was him. I do know his defense was NOT good during his tenure and it's not for lack of talent.

If he did, indeed, keep DC and play-calling responsibilities as the HC, then I have no idea why he's even being considered.
He handed the defense off at first, but then he took over when it struggled....and then it got worse...

there was a famous presser where he was asked if he was going to give up play calling duties and he got triggered by the question. He never gave it up.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Barry interviewing with Eagles I just read, it's a recycle league, if only the coach had this if only he had Aaron Donald, if only he had Jaire Alexander :lol:

doesn't matter if ya have great players, ya have to be able to scheme em up for success

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

In addition to having HOF talents on his top-rated Rams squad, one should also add that he got incredibly lucky that they did not play Green Bay in the playoffs, because we totally exposed their defense earlier that year.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I hate the Fangio tree because the Shannahan tree over and over has proven they know how to beat it.

So why keep throwing it out there? The Shannahan/McVay tree practices against it every day because their teams' defenses run it. Go a different direction.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

APB wrote:
26 Jan 2024 10:56

Yes it is.

Living in So. Cal., I can attest that Staley's work with the Chargers's defense was worse than most Packer fans can imagine.

"Chargers' Brandon Staley to remain defensive play caller"

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2023/ ... laycaller/

TB4
Reactions:

Post by TB4 »

Brandon Staley is also rumored to be interviewing for the Miami Dolphins and La Rams Defensive Coordinator position. So he has interest elsewhere, hopefully he will go to obe if those places.

Edited: Washington Commanders to Miami Dolphins. Sorry for the confusion
Last edited by TB4 on 26 Jan 2024 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TB4 wrote:
26 Jan 2024 11:23
Brandon Staley is also rumored to be interviewing for the Washington Commanders and La Rams Defensive Coordinator position. So he has interest elsewhere, hopefully he will go to obe if those places
If offered, I'd think he would choose the Rams. He wouldn't have to uproot his family, it's a familiar locker room and there's still Aaron Donald for him to lean on to save his sorry scheme.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
26 Jan 2024 11:30
TB4 wrote:
Brandon Staley is also rumored to be interviewing for the Washington Commanders and La Rams Defensive Coordinator position. So he has interest elsewhere, hopefully he will go to obe if those places
If offered, I'd think he would choose the Rams. He wouldn't have to uproot his family, it's a familiar locker room and there's still Aaron Donald for him to lean on to save his sorry scheme.
that would make sense, now I'am almost certain he signs with us :rotf: Kidding

Has anyone heard of other prospects Matt will interview? I havn't seen any.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TB4 wrote:
Count the Dolphins among those rumored to be interested, as well.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Any correlation shown with HC's being fired and going back to coordinator level the next year, level of success/lack thereof?

Just kind of picturing Hackett being fired and the Jets having one of the worst offenses in the league.

We had Dom, but he had bad results in Jacksonville after being released by Carolina. Then before us he HC again in Houston, then after firing he was DC of Miami first and it what a complete disaster. We sure do love giving DC's their third chance, lol.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Hmmm. Hadn't really considered him but...?