Cheese Curds - News Around the League 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

musclestang wrote:
22 May 2024 13:55
oh, I remember. and I don't think replay has really fixed anything in this game. Just like I don't think this will either.
Really, replay did not fix "anything" in football? :|

You say this like if a system is not perfect, then it is not an improvement at all, when we can all clearly see how the ability to review plays by replay allows us to correct calls that are pretty clearly erroneous. Sure, it does not always shake out that way, but it has allowed it to happen where it would not otherwise have happened. How is that not a fix? LOL musclestang...
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

What really got me was the arbitrary nature of when they would call for a measurement, sometimes during 2-minute situations with the game on the line. It was like a free time out. Sometimes they would measure out a full yard short. Sometimes they would not measure for a few inches. This absolutely has to be better than the archaic way they have been doing it.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Soccer was mentioned and I find it difficult to believe that being familiar with the offsides technology that is frequently utilized in high level soccer competition leaves questions about it being a game of inches. That stuff is precise and at least as fast as our replay system

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Labrev wrote:
23 May 2024 11:56
musclestang wrote:
22 May 2024 13:55
oh, I remember. and I don't think replay has really fixed anything in this game. Just like I don't think this will either.
Really, replay did not fix "anything" in football? :|

You say this like if a system is not perfect, then it is not an improvement at all, when we can all clearly see how the ability to review plays by replay allows us to correct calls that are pretty clearly erroneous. Sure, it does not always shake out that way, but it has allowed it to happen where it would not otherwise have happened. How is that not a fix? LOL musclestang...
because it seems with at least half of the replays there is still controversy over whether it's the right call or not. and I think it's overcomplicated the game. When I grew up, people knew what a catch was when they saw it. and it was called as such, or not. Now it's dissected and it's not just hyperbole, but sometimes, I don't know what a catch is anymore.

Substituting one version of imperfect for another isn't really an improvement in my eyes and at some point it becomes a detriment. I think at this point the refs have been taught to ignore their eyes and call certain situations in deferment to a replay that sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't. In the end we're left with more refs built to defer rather than watch and call. Can't really measure it in terms of improvement or detriment, but I know how I feel about it.

The game is called differently today than when I was younger.
Last edited by musclestang on 23 May 2024 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 May 2024 13:20
Soccer was mentioned and I find it difficult to believe that being familiar with the offsides technology that is frequently utilized in high level soccer competition leaves questions about it being a game of inches. That stuff is precise and at least as fast as our replay system
I'm not familiar with high level soccer, never watched it. Just saying I read some of the articles talking about how they used it for tracking player data and ball movement. but soccer is not american football. How does it visually track movement if it's buried in a bunch of bodies for instance? can you tell me? or just that I should trust it?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I think the point is that one imperfect system is clearly a lot less flawed than the other, notwithstanding whatever criticisms you can validly make of it. Hence, improvement.
—Magneto

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Labrev wrote:
23 May 2024 14:13
I think the point is that one imperfect system is clearly a lot less flawed than the other, notwithstanding whatever criticisms you can validly make of it. Hence, improvement.
I added to my original post and I don't think it's a lot less flawed. I think they call games differently and overtime it has and will continue to suffer from it. Just like I think our passive nature of our DC caused our defense to be flawed all over. Survive the down mentality bled into every part of the defense and good attacking players turned into passive, 2nd guessing, wait for someone else to make the play and we suffered for it.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Another example of how Rodgers grew apathetic and didn't give us his best, as highlighted by how much more effort he's putting into his NYJ stint:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... leted/amp/
—Magneto

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Labrev wrote:
23 May 2024 16:06
Another example of how Rodgers grew apathetic and didn't give us his best, as highlighted by how much more effort he's putting into his NYJ stint:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... leted/amp/
Oh cry me a river Amari. This just a guy who was awful, not wanting to take responsibility for the fact that he sucked. Yes it's Aaron Rodgers' fault that I couldn't catch a punt. BS!
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Amari didn't make it because Amari wasn't good. Then Amari blew up at being accountable despite the team giving him opportunity after opportunity. He didn't offer the team anything then and I don't think he's offering any insight now other than continuing to blame others because it's convenient.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I knew this was going to be the response by some, but what success Amari would or would not have had is not really the issue here (yet I also fully expect that people are going to respond to this post by continuing to make it about Amari). I notably didn't share the article saying "wow imagine what a player he would have been if he got this attention from Rodgers."

What I said was, Rodgers is yet again showing us he could have been a better teammate than he was here. And the implications of this are not limited to Amari, they also relate to Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, others with whom he could have done more to get ready sooner. No wonder Doubs sounded so much happier to work with Jordan Love than another year of $%@# Rodgers.

Besides, this Jets rookie could be a hopeless bust too for all Rodgers knows, yet that isn't stopping him from trying to help him succeed, nor should it. He had no more way of knowing that Amari would be a bust than he does now with this Corley kid.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
23 May 2024 13:14
What really got me was the arbitrary nature of when they would call for a measurement, sometimes during 2-minute situations with the game on the line. It was like a free time out. Sometimes they would measure out a full yard short. Sometimes they would not measure for a few inches. This absolutely has to be better than the archaic way they have been doing it.
yep, almost seemed choreographed at times to me too, I know no one wants to think the fix is in, but the way some of these games end, the timing of penalties give that appearance.

I'am not a betting guy, so I wouldn't know all the benefits of controlling the outcome, and just can't accept that people involved in the sport I've loved all my life would cheapen the game that way, course back in the 60's I thought Dupont was a great chemical company and would never do anything to hurt people :thwap:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
23 May 2024 17:09
I knew this was going to be the response by some, but what success Amari would or would not have had is not really the issue here (yet I also fully expect that people are going to respond to this post by continuing to make it about Amari). I notably didn't share the article saying "wow imagine what a player he would have been if he got this attention from Rodgers."

What I said was, Rodgers is yet again showing us he could have been a better teammate than he was here. And the implications of this are not limited to Amari, they also relate to Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, others with whom he could have done more to get ready sooner. No wonder Doubs sounded so much happier to work with Jordan Love than another year of $%@# Rodgers.

Besides, this Jets rookie could be a hopeless bust too for all Rodgers knows, yet that isn't stopping him from trying to help him succeed, nor should it. He had no more way of knowing that Amari would be a bust than he does now with this Corley kid.
Rodgers prefers receivers drafted in the 2nd round, once he found out Amari was a 3rd round pick, well, it's no wonder he banished the kid to well, ok, if everyone else is covered. :rotf:

Rodgers goal is to win, once he realizes the team can't, you can guess the rest, and I can see through some of his comments, he says what ever will get fan or FO approval, he hates Gute with a passion, his motivation is not only to win, but rub it in Gutes face.

but who cares, how did this stuff even get brought up again, are you lonely and dangling a hook :rotf:

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

The worst thing any of those receivers ever said about Rodgers was he didn’t hang out outside of practice. I don’t hang out with 20 year olds either from work and it has nothing to do with anything work related .

I specifically remember Doubs saying how available Rodgers was his rookie year to answer any and all questions.

The fact of the matter is, Amari is the only reason Amari had a tough time. He didn’t jive with players or coaches in multiple teams now. Let’s move on.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Labrev wrote:
23 May 2024 17:09

Amari was a rookie in 2021. Gee, what was happening during the spring of 2021 that would give someone pause at inviting someone to spend the night at their house?

Rodgers isn't "showing us" anything. This is about some whiny pussy crying that he has to play in the Siberian leagues now and it's all Rodgers' fault. Total BS.

And I was the originator of the opinion that Rodgers is not fully committed to football. Been talking about it since 2015.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Y'all woke up the Papa Bear now. Better be ready cuz my old ass gonna be bringing the heat up in here. Smack you up with some truth.
- Bill Parcells

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Papa John wrote:
24 May 2024 09:19
Rodgers isn't "showing us" anything. This is about some whiny pussy crying that he has to play in the Siberian leagues now and it's all Rodgers' fault. Total BS.
No no, AARON Rodgers is showing us... with his actions since arriving in NY... that he was not fully committed, not Amari Rodgers's say so.
And I was the originator of the opinion that Rodgers is not fully committed to football. Been talking about it since 2015.
Okay, then we are not disagreeing on anything. I am not out here claiming Amari would have really been something if Aaron helped him more (but we will never know), just that we see Rodgers going above-and-beyond as he is with this Corley kid (who he has no more reason to think will not be a bust than he did when Amari was a rookie) where he did not similarly do so here. 'Glad we are in agreement on the bigger point.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
24 May 2024 10:09
Papa John wrote:
24 May 2024 09:19
No no, AARON Rodgers is showing us... with his actions since arriving in NY... that he was not fully committed, not Amari Rodgers's say so.
Okay, then we are not disagreeing on anything. I am not out here claiming Amari would have really been something if Aaron helped him more (but we will never know), just that we see Rodgers going above-and-beyond as he is with this Corley kid (who he has no more reason to think will not be a bust than he did when Amari was a rookie) where he did not similarly do so here. 'Glad we are in agreement on the bigger point.
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Rodgers had the FO on notice since 2017, get some skill position talent, they didn't and he got pissed off, people are upset with Rodgers, or use to be, what should have really riled the fans is the ineptitude of spending all the resources on defense, and missing on 2/3rds of the draft picks, some of which would have, could have actually helped the QB.

Labrev you are obviously to young (not intending to insult you, well maybe just a smidge :lol:) to understand what goes through the mind of uber talented pro on the cusp of retiring, all they care about is, what can you do to make me more productive right freaking now, thats been true of all the great ones, Brady, Elway, Montana etc. so it's basically the norm for these types to become irrational when they don't get those toys, think back to Xmas morn when ya didn't get the peddle bike when you where 5, same thing :rotf: :rotf:

all players on new teams revert back to rookie excitement, it's new, with new faces, new coaches and schemes to learn, why you or anyone over look these realities when you know damn well they exist boggles the mind and gives me a headache :rotf:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
24 May 2024 10:38
Labrev you are obviously to young (not intending to insult you, well maybe just a smidge :lol:) to understand what goes through the mind of uber talented pro on the cusp of retiring, all they care about is, what can you do to make me more productive right freaking now, thats been true of all the great ones, Brady, Elway, Montana etc. so it's basically the norm for these types to become irrational when they don't get those toys, think back to Xmas morn when ya didn't get the peddle bike when you where 5, same thing :rotf: :rotf:
Just stop, yoop. Brady and Brees are two examples off the top of my head that prove you completely wrong.

More pertinently, Rodgers never echoed what you say. At his most angry, he didn't demand we get him some elite receiver for him to come back, he demanded an aging Randall Cobb, and didn't say anything about WR quality after that. Randall Cobb. :| Then you act like Rodgers doesn't say what you claim because he just acts PC to say what will play well with the crowd but that you can see through it. Meanwhile, back out here in the world of REALITY, Rodgers talks to people like Tucker Carlson and goes out actively inviting controversy and backlash left and right.

You don't even like Rodgers at all, you just write this pulp fan-fiction about poor victim Rodgers because it is just an extension of your pet topic about muh reeseebers. So you make &%$@ up about how he was unhappy about the WR situation because if he wasn’t a victim of bad WRs then you don't have standing to complain about it endlessly like you do. So you write trite fan-fic because there is no evidence in reality for your ideas.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
24 May 2024 11:58
Just stop, yoop. Brady and Brees are two examples off the top of my head that prove you completely wrong.
I shouldn't have bothered to even respond to your blind rage for the guy, Brady, Bree's and every other QB I mentioned, and hundreds more act like victims when they don't get receivers, and there isn't a freaking sports announcer that doesn't agree with me, so obvious when Jordy and Cobb where hurt that Rodgers wanted improvement at the position, he hinted it in comments during the off season.

your problem Labrev is you can't separate the delusional narrow minded ego maniac Rodgers who now more then ever has become defiant to rational thought, then Rodgers the nfl soon to be HOF QB, but then I have trouble doing so too, your right, personally I've disliked him as a human being more lately, however I've known which side of the toast the butter is spread on, so I accepted the warts along with the great QB, just a bit more then you :idn:

question, periodically I get this pop up which states, teach me how to write, is that something I should take personally :rotf: :rotf:
even my PC is a condescending mf :rotf: