2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
03 Feb 2022 08:31
go pak go wrote:
03 Feb 2022 08:09
Definitely not an immediate need but first round isn't much of a "needs round" from my standpoint.

Value would have to be really, really good though.

I would say safety, CB, Oline and RB are probably safer bets of not being picked in the first round unless the value is just amazing.
Hell, I'd be fine with a safety. We are in unknown territory on the futures of both Amos and Savage. Plus its not unusual to have a 3rd safety on the field. Either playing a lb role, dime cb, something. Find someone to fit that mold and I'm good.
I agree. I have a feeling Savage is going to be one of those guys that you don't want to see go, but you are not going to pay him what it will take to keep him, either.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
03 Feb 2022 08:31
go pak go wrote:
03 Feb 2022 08:09
Definitely not an immediate need but first round isn't much of a "needs round" from my standpoint.

Value would have to be really, really good though.

I would say safety, CB, Oline and RB are probably safer bets of not being picked in the first round unless the value is just amazing.
Hell, I'd be fine with a safety. We are in unknown territory on the futures of both Amos and Savage. Plus its not unusual to have a 3rd safety on the field. Either playing a lb role, dime cb, something. Find someone to fit that mold and I'm good.
Yeah the "Jeremy Chinn" style player or Budah Baker style player is one I have been craving for years. I don't know if there is that this year or not. I haven't really looked at the draft yet.

The kid from Michigan is definitely someone that will pique my interest if he' sitting there in Round 2. Though he is a little small I think.

honestly a player who I am really excited to look into more is Jaquan Brisker out of Penn State.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Random hypothetical that may not actually make sense.....

Packers get #9 from the Broncos. One of the top LTs is still there (assume they aren't fits at RT for some reason). Top pass rushers and dbs are gone.

Do you take the LT? Yes, your pick of WRs are there. Assume they still won't pick an ilb either.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

If "my pick" of WR is there as you've stipulated, and I indeed felt like the WR is of equal or greater value as a player as the LT, I am definitely more inclined to take the WR.

That said, I will grudgingly acknowledge that an LTO (if highly talented) is a justifiable pick, if an anticlimactic one. Bakh may have either FUBAR'd his leg, or will recover but is nonetheless nearing the age when OTs begin to fall off. Unless the pick is a bust, he'll probably be playing by Year 3 at the latest, and the value of a good LT is very hard to argue with.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
18 Feb 2022 18:18

Packers get #9 from the Broncos. One of the top LTs is still there (assume they aren't fits at RT for some reason). Top pass rushers and dbs are gone.

Do you take the LT? Yes, your pick of WRs are there. Assume they still won't pick an ilb either.
I really like the top 3 WRs in this class. So I would say no on the LT just because I think there are simply more players that I like more.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

go pak go wrote:
18 Feb 2022 19:10
paco wrote:

I really like the top 3 WRs in this class. So I would say no on the LT just because I think there are simply more players that I like more.
Who do you have as your top 3 wrs?

Mine are
Williams
Burks
Dotson. He's going to be a game changer.

With
Wilson
London
Olave . These 3 are close

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
19 Feb 2022 13:10
go pak go wrote:
paco wrote:

Mine are
Williams
Burks

With
Wilson
London
My top two are Olave and Williams. I love them both. I love them both so much. Those are the two I'd take top 20. I haven't watched much of Wilson yet but he always seems to be in that top 3 conversation on Mock boards.

I do really like London and would take him in the 1st round but I agree about Dotson. I looooooooove Dotson in the back of the 1st or early 2nd.

I'm actually in love with a lot of Penn State players.

So far the players I have "draft crushes" (doesn't necessarily have to be 1st rounder) on are:

Olave - WR OSU
Williams - WR Bama
Jermaine Johnson - Edge FSU
Jaquan Brisker - Safety Penn State
Jahan Dotson - WR Penn State
Arnold Ebiketie - Edge Penn State
Wan'Dale Robinson - WR Kentucky

All these guys just have heart when I watch them.

Can't say I have really found my Dlineman guy yet. But it's still early.
Yoop wrote:

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Jalen Pitre is my safety crush. He does it all....esp get guys to the ground. He can play nickle cb and a move piece in the box. A damn good football player.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
19 Feb 2022 13:10
go pak go wrote:
paco wrote:

Mine are
Williams
Burks

With
Wilson
London
Right now it’s Burks and then everyone else, but I’m not set on that ranking yet, just where I am now in my very early research.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Seems WR rankings are all over the board. Top 6 or so all over the place. Will have to see if the combine helps the media with some sort of consensus.
RIP JustJeff

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

There is a lot to like about Burks. Big physical beast. His speed even looks good running away from SEC comp. I was watching Twitter clips on his blocking. Wow. Lazard has another dude on his level.

His knocks will be is route running and separation at the next level. If GB is cool with a Boldin type so am I.

Why I love Dotson so much is kinda the other end. He's small but plays bigger. (Hope he weighs in over 190). He is always open. I mean from the snap he's got a step. Dude is fiesty like Steve Smith. I've always loved the bigger wr but this year Dotson just has that dog imo.

I wouldn't be upset with any of the 6 in the 1st. All bring a skill this O could use to take the passing game up a level.

Olave is my least of the 6. He is a great route runner but doesn't have that edge the others do. I'm not going to say he isn't tough but just seems to be more silky smooth then a fighter if that makes sense. Nothing wrong with that at all just like some other game better.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

go pak go wrote:
19 Feb 2022 13:31

My top two are Olave and Williams. I love them both. I love them both so much. Those are the two I'd take top 20. I haven't watched much of Wilson yet but he always seems to be in that top 3 conversation on Mock boards.

I do really like London and would take him in the 1st round but I agree about Dotson. I looooooooove Dotson in the back of the 1st or early 2nd.

I'm actually in love with a lot of Penn State players.

So far the players I have "draft crushes" (doesn't necessarily have to be 1st rounder) on are:

Olave - WR OSU
Williams - WR Bama
Jermaine Johnson - Edge FSU
Jaquan Brisker - Safety Penn State
Jahan Dotson - WR Penn State
Arnold Ebiketie - Edge Penn State
Wan'Dale Robinson - WR Kentucky

All these guys just have heart when I watch them.

Can't say I have really found my Dlineman guy yet. But it's still early.
Sounds like you need a woman. :lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I keep waiting for some separation between the QB's. I would expect some pushback, by now, as to the 1st-round status of these guys. I get there is no clear #1, but there are plenty of opinions on one vs the others. I would expect some strong opinions against guys being worthy of a high pick, at all, though, and I am not really seeing those.

Is it possible this QB class is stronger than it was given credit for even though there is no clear first or second option?

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-two ... st-overall

Mock draft that has Rodgers getting traded to Denver and we have pick 9 and 41 in addition to our own.

9 Drake London, WR
28 Nakobe Dean, LB
41 Demarvin Neal, Edge
60 Chad Muma, LB

Guessing he forgot he already gave the Packers an LB in the first, but fun to look more at the names around 9 and 41.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
22 Feb 2022 09:19
I keep waiting for some separation between the QB's. I would expect some pushback, by now, as to the 1st-round status of these guys. I get there is no clear #1, but there are plenty of opinions on one vs the others. I would expect some strong opinions against guys being worthy of a high pick, at all, though, and I am not really seeing those.

Is it possible this QB class is stronger than it was given credit for even though there is no clear first or second option?
I can't say because I don't know. But I've seen a lot of mocks with no QB taken until #9. Is that a reflection on need, the strength of other positions, or that this class isn't that strong? :idn:
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:

Yeah, I never buy too much into the hype too early.

The Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen draft was supposed to be so good.

Granted Josh Allen was in there, Lamar Jackson was a later hit and was never really in the hype.

Then the Mitch Trubisky draft was one that was so bad, yet you had Mahomes and Watson, both went earlier then I think most media analysts were expecting.

Still a goofy time with COVID last year and college campuses are notorious for being over the top COVID cautious (not the point of the topic), so I don't think a lot of these guys had the fair shot to develop and produce like they maybe could have under normal circumstances.

I've been partial to Pickett the whole process so far I feel like, but I really haven't dug in too much.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
22 Feb 2022 09:39
NCF wrote:

I can't say because I don't know. But I've seen a lot of mocks with no QB taken until #9. Is that a reflection on need, the strength of other positions, or that this class isn't that strong? :idn:
Yeah, then this one has them going 3, 9, 10, 11 and 5 total in the first round.

https://www.nfl.com/news/three-round-20 ... in-round-1

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
22 Feb 2022 09:39
NCF wrote:

I think that is fairly common, though. I would expect that given the lack of a true #1. What these same mocks have, though, is the other 5 still going somewhere in the next 30-40 picks. That seems surprising to me in a "weak" class.

I want someone that knows what they are talking about (no one does, but at least someone I normally listen to) telling me that a few of these guys are 3rd or 4th rounders and not Top-50 picks.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Also, any recommendations and Twitter accounts to follow, new web sites, analysts to read, videos to watch, podcasts, other?