Random stuff

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

APB wrote:
20 May 2020 12:35
Drj820 wrote:
20 May 2020 10:40
I live in tennessee now. Love the fall here, the mild winters, the evenings, the scenery..all of it. But for the past few years every late spring and summer my sinuses have just been a wreck. The heat seems to be a factor, certainly the pollen, something in the air. Late summer through early spring i feel great, and then like clock work i live in some sort of hell for a few months. I just broke up with my GF so besides my dog, while furloughed i literally have nothing preventing me from using the time to go off the grid for a bit and consider whats next.
Can't contribute much to your inquiry but I can tell you when I was living in Clarksville, TN in the early 90's, I had the worst sinus allergy issues I've ever had. Would hit mid-spring and last about 3 weeks. I was a mouth breathing fool and miserable.

Never had allergy issues before moving there, have had only minor allergy issues since. Whatever it was for those 3 weeks every spring - spent 3 years there - it wreaked havoc with me and to this day I still have no idea what it was.
Well, you may or may not believe this. Our bodies change every 7 years. (for women it's 8) I would ask you when you started having problems with allergies? When you moved or turned a certain age? Now, if you moved at a certain age, you are screwed. I never had a problem with pollen of any kind until I turned 56. Then all of a sudden after being in FL for 20 years I have a reaction to citrus pollen and Live oak pollen. My acupuncturist took care of it, but for many that's just to mumbo jumbo to consider.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Raptorman wrote:
26 May 2020 23:22
APB wrote:
20 May 2020 12:35
Drj820 wrote:
I live in tennessee now. Love the fall here, the mild winters, the evenings, the scenery..all of it. But for the past few years every late spring and summer my sinuses have just been a wreck. The heat seems to be a factor, certainly the pollen, something in the air. Late summer through early spring i feel great, and then like clock work i live in some sort of hell for a few months. I just broke up with my GF so besides my dog, while furloughed i literally have nothing preventing me from using the time to go off the grid for a bit and consider whats next.
Can't contribute much to your inquiry but I can tell you when I was living in Clarksville, TN in the early 90's, I had the worst sinus allergy issues I've ever had. Would hit mid-spring and last about 3 weeks. I was a mouth breathing fool and miserable.

Never had allergy issues before moving there, have had only minor allergy issues since. Whatever it was for those 3 weeks every spring - spent 3 years there - it wreaked havoc with me and to this day I still have no idea what it was.
Well, you may or may not believe this. Our bodies change every 7 years. (for women it's 8) I would ask you when you started having problems with allergies? When you moved or turned a certain age? Now, if you moved at a certain age, you are screwed. I never had a problem with pollen of any kind until I turned 56. Then all of a sudden after being in FL for 20 years I have a reaction to citrus pollen and Live oak pollen. My acupuncturist took care of it, but for many that's just to mumbo jumbo to consider.
Thanks for the input. i certainly could be just experiencing a new normal after a body change. This is about the fourth year of this for me. im 29 now. Not sure what the specific thing is that is bothering me, but it comes about every mid march and lasts through about june. Ive been doing a nasal rinse, flonase, and allegra all spring and it has actually helped alot. Still bothersome for sure, but last year i took nothing and it was near torturous. If it was to worsen i probably would consider alternative steps like acupuncture or shots. Its become a true burden on what used to be my favorite time of year to golf and have fun outside. Maybe if the body changes every 7 years then i only have about 3 more seasons of this ;)
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

I became allergic to lake water about 5 years ago. If my head goes under water it is misery I get stuffed up and sinus draining sitting in a boat on the water. Not a fan but hopefully only 2 years left.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
27 May 2020 15:58
I became allergic to lake water about 5 years ago. If my head goes under water it is misery I get stuffed up and sinus draining sitting in a boat on the water. Not a fan but hopefully only 2 years left.
Well, it doesn't necessarily go away after 7 years. I may stay.............. and just add something else.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Been absent a couple of weeks, I've been too busy welcoming our fist baby girl into the world!

She was born on May 19th at 9:37 pm. We were supposed to only stay one night in the hospital due to Covid, but ended up staying four nights due to her jaundice levels. It was a difference experience in labor and delivery, when only one person can be in the hospital as your support. My wife and baby are doing well!

RIP JustJeff

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Congrats, enjoy every moment. I always tell every new parent the kid will be grown up and gone before you know it, time flies so enjoy it as much as you can.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Took you 11 days to tell us?? :shock: :swear:

Congrats!! :)

Our first had to spend a couple of extra nights in the hospital as well for jaundice. Still sounds like a made treatment for it. We'll shine your kids with lights for a few hours and they'll poop out the illness.

She looks beautiful! :aok:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Congrats
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Congrats, [mention]TheGreenMan[/mention]!!

I had two jaundice girls, as well. Seems to be a very frequent thing. Very serious, but hopefully you are not worrying too much about it. She'll be fine!!

:aok:

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Thanks gents!

She's our third (two boys) and we didn't have to do the lights until her. It was a bit of a pain in the butt making sure her "goggles" weren't sliding off her eyes. I think I stood at the bassinet and stared at her under the lights all night, just making sure they didn't fall off. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
28 May 2020 13:07
Took you 11 days to tell us??
Yeah, I should have pulled out my phone to log on while they were pulling out the placenta. That would have went over well. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Congrats my man! Amazing!
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Congratulations and all the best to TheGreenBaby!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Congratulations, [mention]TheGreenMan[/mention]! You're gonna find out, in a few years, anyway, that girls bring some different parental challenges for us dads than those two brothers of hers. Good luck! :lol:

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

People that are inconsiderent because they are stupid. Put the old boat in the lake yesterday to do a quick run to make sure it runs well. I knew it would run well because I maintain and inspect the motor and use fuel treatment every tank. I make sure the motor starts before I leave the driveway. I put the boat in and did a quick 15 minute ride it ran perfectly. I go to take the boat out but I can't dock because there is one boat at the dock and one on the ramp. Two chuckle heads that can't get their motors started. I ended up circling for 20 minutes waiting for them to get their crap sorted out.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

APB wrote:
29 May 2020 07:56
Congratulations, @TheGreenMan! You're gonna find out, in a few years, anyway, that girls bring some different parental challenges for us dads than those two brothers of hers. Good luck! :lol:
Oh man, have I been hearing that. I'm constantly being told it's a completely different world.

Well, I'm up for the challenge.

I also need to learn to braid some hair. :mrgreen:
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
03 Jun 2020 14:57
APB wrote:
29 May 2020 07:56
Congratulations, @TheGreenMan! You're gonna find out, in a few years, anyway, that girls bring some different parental challenges for us dads than those two brothers of hers. Good luck! :lol:
Oh man, have I been hearing that. I'm constantly being told it's a completely different world.

Well, I'm up for the challenge.

I also need to learn to braid some hair. :mrgreen:
I went girl, girl, boy, the boy is so different than the girls, so there is some truth to that, but each kid is their own, so might not be like that.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Congrats [mention]TheGreenMan[/mention] !!
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Trudge wrote:
03 Jun 2020 23:55
Congrats @TheGreenMan !!
Thanks Trudge!
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Drj820 wrote:
I suppose "random Stuff" might be the place to inquire about this. There is a pretty good chance i am going to get furloughed for about 6 weeks from mid June through July. I have been verbally told i will be one of the few people to be able to return in august because i do alot of fundraising projects and that season will hopefully be revamping in the fall.

I am wanting to conduct an experiment to see if it is the climate that is causing this, or something else. I want to take 3? maybe even 4 weeks and take a pot, some can food, a fishing pole, hammock, my honda accord, my dog, guitar, french press coffee maker, and really just the bare essentials and head north. I love the great outdoors and camping and have fished for food many times. The discussion in the other thread got me thinking about the upper peninsula of michigan, before that i was considering northern Wisconsin.

For the near locals of those areas, or people familiar: Anything i should know about that im probably not considering? Is it super crowded in the summer months, or plenty of space for everyone? are there places where camping that long term reasonably priced, or are they going to drain me because its tourist season? Any camping locations to reccommend? Ive heard the mosquitos are as big as bats, any thing to know about them?

All these kind of questions are things im trying to research, and the convo in the where are you from thread got me thinking some of you guys might have some great info.

Thanks for the help!
Well I just returned from 9 days in the north woods of Wisconsin. Started the trip by driving 13 hours to GB and doing the packers HOF tour. Really cool you can sit in lombardis old desk chair. Was happy to see that was open. Then went up around Florence, Wi and camped for 2 nights. Then 2 nights near eagle river, Wi. Then 2 nights near Drummond. Then visited the apostle islands and finally came back south and stayed at the brunet island state park.

I can report that northern Wisconsin outside of Bayfield is not aware of Corona, the fishing was great, the area is absolutely gorgeous, the air is clean and my sinuses seemed magically healed while I was there. Also the food was great. I loved the north woods! Hope to return someday. Wisconsin is a beautiful state.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23