Round 1 - Pick #28, Devonte Wyatt, DL Georgia

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
31 May 2022 07:22
Wyatt has already crossed 1 to 96 many many times. He crossed 97 three times, apparently. Unless there is a major change in his life, an intervention, a born again conversion, a commitment to a mental hospital or prison, he is going to cross 98, maybe more. It is not just possible, it is almost certain.

We as fans have to hope and trust that the Packers brass know what they are doing. If they do, the Packers just got a 10-15 pick at 28
so typical of you to create doubt when you have very little reason too, it was one incidence where 3 charges where brought, then dropped because he didn't strike anyone, anyone other then a well known college player and there may not have been charges in the first place

you've painted Wyatt as a thug based off some bloviated statement from a retired Steeler player who supports thuggery, unless you have some sort of concrete evidence to prove your comments concerning Wyatt, then your last sentence is all you should have said, everything else is crap.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
31 May 2022 09:35
BF004 wrote:
31 May 2022 09:17
go pak go wrote:
30 May 2022 17:20
The Seattle Seahawks confirmed that they were going to trade with Green Bay at #28. But then Gute called off the trade.

Undoubtedly the deal was off when Wyatt was still available and they felt they had to take him.
Where did you see this?
Isn't my word enough? :lol:

Sounds like this dude got it from a Seattle Seahawks website from "John Boyle" at Seahawks.com (likely their version of a Mike Spofford or Wes Hod). I couldn't find the actual source. But yet again I don't care enough to be this skeptical and find it.
I don't buy it GPG, heres why, if Wyatt would have been picked we would have just used it on Watson, and kept our own two 2nd rounders.

beware there are people just like this guy that make a living on the internet, they spread a ton of unsubstantiated rumors which never have to be proved, it's gotten soooo bad it hard to believe anyone unless you know there reputable. just saying :dunno:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i dont buy it either. "we tried to move up but it just didnt work out" or "we had a deal and they backed out!" is GM speak as old as time to help pacify fans and media who demanded the team move up and be more aggressive.

Our own GM wants us all to know he "was interested" or "sniffed around" at the idea of bringing in pretty much every FA thats available that the fans want. Its just propaganda.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Oh good lord people. Get out of your own way.

It's coming from the freaking Seattle Seahawks official website.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/inside-th ... -nfl-draft
image.png
image.png (42.96 KiB) Viewed 446 times
image.png
image.png (27.28 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I wonder what Seattle would have been targeting. Karlaftis?

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
31 May 2022 10:18

image.png

image.png
this is still second hand stuff, I quit reading GPG as soon as he said it's common for scouts and coaches to jump up on tables in draft room yelling for the picks they want to happen, please inform me of when you last heard of a scout jumping up on a table in a draft room?

sure Schnieder my have called Guty, that part I could believe.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
31 May 2022 10:21
I wonder what Seattle would have been targeting. Karlaftis?
It's a great question and a good and likely guess at their target. Sounds like Seattle is pretty open to showing off their draft room. Much different than GB.
image.png
image.png (116.88 KiB) Viewed 436 times
image.png
image.png (210.82 KiB) Viewed 436 times
image.png
image.png (41.64 KiB) Viewed 436 times
image.png
image.png (104.88 KiB) Viewed 436 times
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
31 May 2022 10:28
go pak go wrote:

image.png

image.png
this is still second hand stuff, I quit reading GPG as soon as he said it's common for scouts and coaches to jump up on tables in draft room yelling for the picks they want to happen, please inform me of when you last heard of a scout jumping up on a table in a draft room?

:?: :?: :?:

Scouts jumping on tables? What the heck are you talking about? You are the supreme leader on taking an extreme tangent to sway a point.

The article is a timeline recap of the Seahawk's War room by the Hawk's official Media reporter John Boyle. It's their version of the Rock, Wes Hod or Mike Spoff. The only difference is the Packers don't allow our guys to be in the war room. They only allow some specifically timed photos and video. But the Hawks don't.

I honest to goodness can't find any reason to be skeptical of the initial point I made up that the Hawks and Packers had a tentative deal in place for the Hawks to trade up to #28 until the Packers didn't and selected Wyatt instead.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
31 May 2022 10:41
Yoop wrote:
31 May 2022 10:28
go pak go wrote:

image.png

image.png

:?: :?: :?:

Scouts jumping on tables? What the heck are you talking about? You are the supreme leader on taking an extreme tangent to sway a point.

The article is a timeline recap of the Seahawk's War room by the Hawk's official Media reporter John Boyle. It's their version of the Rock, Wes Hod or Mike Spoff. The only difference is the Packers don't allow our guys to be in the war room. They only allow some specifically timed photos and video. But the Hawks don't.

I honest to goodness can't find any reason to be skeptical of the initial point I made up that the Hawks and Packers had a tentative deal in place for the Hawks to trade up to #28 until the Packers didn't and selected Wyatt instead.
none of it even makes sense from Packers, why would we trade out of slot 28 when we had two players with that grade, Wyatt, and Watson, it was rumored elsewhere that we tried to trade back into round one to get Watson, so it makes no sense that we would have interest in trading slot 28.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Could just be we had a, or several, tentative trades back options in place all ready to go if we didn’t like the board.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
31 May 2022 11:28
Could just be we had a, or several, tentative trades back options in place all ready to go if we didn’t like the board.
bingo.

I doubt the packers backed out of a firm deal, and its advantageous for the seahawks to say "they tried to move up and its someone else fault they couldnt" to pacify their fans and website audience. This is a nothing burger to me.

I do believe we had a tentative deal in place in case that option turned out to be best for us. I dont think it was anything concrete or even newsworthy. These types of deals are probably tentatively in place as back up options all throughout the first round at every pick
Last edited by Drj820 on 31 May 2022 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

compared to the seachicks, our draft room must be really boring, maybe we should get our scouts to jump on tables, screaming out the name of there heart throbs, plus we need to increase the size of the war room, add more tables so our coaches have tables too, ( I would have loved to watch Mike Smith doing double back flips screaming for Rashan Gary a few years back on one of the tables, priceless :rotf: )

I expect I'am old fashion so it's hard for me to visualize such a open war room as it seems the Hawks operate, most of my life the war room resembled a nuclear arms control center

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Not gonna lie. I didn't expect this amount of tangent discussion on this topic. There really isn't a whole to discuss or disect.

The meat of the matter is from my original post:

1. Packers and Seahawks had a tentative deal in place for Seattle to jump up to #28 after the Packers selected Walker. The Seahawks had #40 and #41.

2. Devonte Wyatt is still available when the Packers are on the clock.

3. The Packers turn down the trade and instead make the selection for Wyatt.

So really this means the Packers were looking to trade down to gain value until they saw a player fall to their pick they saw too good to pass up and instead made the selection.

That's it folks. It's a compliment to our picked player that the Packers seemed to like him more than getting additional 2nd rounders. The Packers loved the value. It makes me excited as a fan that they loved the pick.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
31 May 2022 12:10
Not gonna lie. I didn't expect this amount of tangent discussion on this topic. There really isn't a whole to discuss or disect.

1. Packers and Seahawks had a tentative deal in place for Seattle to jump up to #28 after the Packers selected Walker. The Seahawks had #40 and #41.

So really this means the Packers were looking to trade down to gain value until they saw a player fall to their pick they saw too good to pass up and instead made the selection.

That's it folks. It's a compliment to our picked player that the Packers seemed to like him more than getting additional 2nd rounders. The Packers loved the value. It makes me excited as a fan that they loved the pick.
because our GM and FO people treat our war room like a nuclear control room we don't know what the packers where contemplating concerning Wyatt, it's possible we even made some calls ourselves to try and trade up for Wyatt worried that he wouldn't drop to us, but couldn't find a trade partner, one thing for sure, Wyatt was ranked very high on Gutes draft board.

once I looked up and saw how trivial the legal complaints where I was sold on Wyatt, easily has the upside to be the best pass rushing DT we've had in over a decade.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

t also jibes with what Gutey did say immediately after the draft--that when they picked Walker at 22, they thought they had missed their chance to get Wyatt. Now that could be generic GM speak, certainly, but we now have two pieces of evidence that after the pick at 22, the Packers were thinking Wyatt wasn't an option for them at 28, then when he was there, they happily selected him.

Obviously, what happened with the 2nds and 32/34 can yield some confusion, but the notion that the team had worked out at least one tentative deal to move back if the board fell a certain way, then decided to make their pick when the board fell a different way, is very common practice by all accounts of draft war rooms I've ever read.

The calls and the checking with which teams might be moving up or might be moving down and what sort of picks might be available in those moves actually start before the draft and continue during it. It is definitely not worthy of all the back and forth and consternation here. It's just a little insight into draft rooms; some teams give that from time to time. Peter King has sat in on team draft rooms several times and written about it afterwards. Even Bellichick let Michael Holley trail the team for a whole year with unparalleled access on the condition that he reveal nothing until the full book came out (The Patriot Way). All accounts have indicated there are several discussions about trades that may or may not ever actually occur.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
31 May 2022 13:20
go pak go wrote:
31 May 2022 12:10

because our GM and FO people treat our war room like a nuclear control room we don't know what the packers where contemplating concerning Wyatt, it's possible we even made some calls ourselves to try and trade up for Wyatt worried that he wouldn't drop to us, but couldn't find a trade partner, one thing for sure, Wyatt was ranked very high on Gutes draft board.

once I looked up and saw how trivial the legal complaints where I was sold on Wyatt, easily has the upside to be the best pass rushing DT we've had in over a decade.
Yoop wrote: