Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
09 May 2023 12:25
Yoop wrote:
09 May 2023 12:02
Love has been in this same offense for 3 years, why would anyone think Lafleur would change that very much?
scheme changes is what kills young players, it's what makes college ball to pro ball take a year of coaching up for young players to adapt
I don't think MLF will change the offense a lot, but I'm pretty convinced we'll see more similarities to 2019 than 2020-2022. Based on last preseason, I think we'll see more read-option plays for Love, too.
truthfully I didn't see a lot of change from 019 to 020, maybe a bit more running and 2 TE sets, read option exposes the QB and I just can't see Matt wanting to do that with Love, we groomed him up to do the same stuff Rodgers excelled at, to be a pocket Passer and to scramble when protection breaks down, Love now has a young formidable receiving group, and now a couple of close to ready to play TE's, he shouldn't need to run the ball even though he could.

we'll see, it should be interesting. :mrgreen:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Jack Coco released; Grant DuBose and three UDFAs (one a long-snapper) have signed:
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sport ... 197132007/

Funnily enough, DuBose also has long-snapper experience.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Love has been in this same offense for 3 years, why would anyone think Lafleur would change that very much?
scheme changes is what kills young players, it's what makes college ball to pro ball take a year of coaching up for young players to adapt
I don't think MLF will change the offense a lot, but I'm pretty convinced we'll see more similarities to 2019 than 2020-2022. Based on last preseason, I think we'll see more read-option plays for Love, too.
I expect a lot more pre-snap movement. LaFleur likes it, Rodgers didn't care for it as much.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
09 May 2023 17:13

great example of why it's important to draft a high floor receiver every couple years as Ted did, get max production on rookie contract, if they wont resign for a fair contract rinse and repeat, that way ya never get to the point we did with Adams.
Last edited by Yoop on 10 May 2023 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
09 May 2023 14:30
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Yoop wrote:
I expect a lot more pre-snap movement. LaFleur likes it, Rodgers didn't care for it as much.
Old Dog, new tricks thing, he grew to embrace it, eventually

and you have to have players that can do it mistake free, this article from the athletic is a pretty informative read

At age 36, Rodgers has experienced a renaissance during his second year in LaFleur’s motion-heavy offense. The two-time MVP ranks fourth among QBs in Expected Points Added per play, and all the moving parts of the Packers’ scheme have played a significant role in that resurgence. Thirteen years into his career, Rodgers has fully embraced the benefits of pre-snap motion, and the marriage between his unlimited talent and LaFleur’s complex scheme has once again turned the Packers into one of the most dangerous units in the NFL.

https://theathletic.com/2179546/2020/11 ... ap-motion/

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
10 May 2023 08:05
Madcity_matt wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

lol no he didn't. We had to do it less and less bc of him.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
10 May 2023 08:12
Yoop wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:

don't be so ignorant, in order to do Jet sweeps and motion, first thing needed is to have players experienced and capable for that stuff to succeed, once Watson and Doubs and others could, then Lafleur called more of it, just maybe if you weren't polarized with blaming Rodgers for everything, or focused on tagging every comment I make you'd read a freaking article

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

in order to do Jet sweeps and motion, first thing needed is to have players experienced and capable for that stuff to succeed
No. That's a very basic football concept. Experience tends to be the fall back excuse, but things like motion are not new or foreign concepts to any receiver.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 May 2023 09:00
in order to do Jet sweeps and motion, first thing needed is to have players experienced and capable for that stuff to succeed
No. That's a very basic football concept. Experience tends to be the fall back excuse, but things like motion are not new or foreign concepts to any receiver.
maybe not once proven they wont screw it up, so who did we have to start last year that had already proven that they could do it right? who had you seen on our roster with experience in Lafleurs schemes, cause none come to mind for me.

I brought a article that actually states that Rodgers embraced it once he learned more about it.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
10 May 2023 08:52
Labrev wrote:
Yoop wrote:

don't be so ignorant, in order to do Jet sweeps and motion, first thing needed is to have players experienced and capable for that stuff to succeed, once Watson and Doubs and others could, then Lafleur called more of it, just maybe if you weren't polarized with blaming Rodgers for everything, or focused on tagging every comment I make you'd read a freaking article
If anyone else had typed this, I'd be wondering how many branches they hit on the tree on the way down. There wasn't a blaming of Rodgers, yet of course, as always, you feel the need to instantly go on the attack and defend Rodgers and spew this BS. you don't ever even realize you are a much worse version of what you continue to criticize, day in and day out.

"It also might finally allow LaFleur to run his version of the offense -- something that never quite happened under Rodgers with his well-known penchant for going off script and his distaste for the pre-snap motion that LaFleur believes in." Rob Demovsky

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
10 May 2023 09:14
Pckfn23 wrote:
maybe not once proven they wont screw it up, so who did we have to start last year that had already proven that they could do it right? who had you seen on our roster with experience in Lafleurs schemes, cause none come to mind for me.

I brought a article that actually states that Rodgers embraced it once he learned more about it.
There is practice where players can prove they "won't screw it up." Motion and jet sweeps are basic football concepts not exclusive to LaFleur's schemes. There is no reason to believe that special experience is needed to perform them other than to push a narrative.

Your last sentence is nonsensical to my statement.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 May 2023 09:20
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

There is practice where players can prove they "won't screw it up." Motion and jet sweeps are basic football concepts not exclusive to LaFleur's schemes. There is no reason to believe that special experience is needed to perform them other than to push a narrative.

if ya don't know the blocking assignments or how to read them then what good is it to use them, again as soon as WAtson and others picked that stuff up Lafleur called more of those plays

I remember Rodgers saying he would rather not use it as much, this is just another attempt to pain Rodgers as a mal content, and that BS.

and DEmovsky can slant his opinions any way he wants, thats what he's paid to do, doesn't mean what he spouts is 100 % balls accurate

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
10 May 2023 10:26
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

if ya don't know the blocking assignments or how to read them then what good is it to use them, again as soon as WAtson and others picked that stuff up Lafleur called more of those plays

I remember Rodgers saying he would rather not use it as much, this is just another attempt to pain Rodgers as a mal content, and that BS.

and DEmovsky can slant his opinions any way he wants, thats what he's paid to do, doesn't mean what he spouts is 100 % balls accurate
Again running motion or Jet Sweeps is not something that is foreign or new to ANY receiver and it is not special to a LaFleur scheme. You just completely made the bolded part up. Christian Watson ran a jet sweep in week 1. More lying to support an old, tired, and erroneous narrative.

I didn't mention Rodgers AT ALL. What is BS is your continued weaseling of your narrative into EVERY $%@# CONVERSATION.

I didn't bring Demovsky, I didn't even comment on Demovsky.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 10 May 2023 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
Yoop wrote:
10 May 2023 08:52
Labrev wrote:

If anyone else had typed this, I'd be wondering how many branches they hit on the tree on the way down. There wasn't a blaming of Rodgers, yet of course, as always, you feel the need to instantly go on the attack and defend Rodgers and spew this BS. you don't ever even realize you are a much worse version of what you continue to criticize, day in and day out.

"It also might finally allow LaFleur to run his version of the offense -- something that never quite happened under Rodgers with his well-known penchant for going off script and his distaste for the pre-snap motion that LaFleur believes in." Rob Demovsky
more stupid sarcasm
of course Labrev blamed Rodgers for not using more motion, read the posts :thwap:

heres more from the Athletic a source more neutral then Demovsky, the old dog new tricks fit Rodgers evolving to Matt Lafleur and the motion and also last seasons lack of jet sweep talent to start the season is balls on accurate comments from me, and your retort as some sarcastic BS.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 May 2023 10:30
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Again running motion or Jet Sweeps is not something that is foreign or new to ANY receiver and it is not special to a LaFleur scheme. You just completely made the bolded part up.

I didn't mention Rodgers AT ALL. What is BS is your continued weaseling of your narrative into EVERY $%@# CONVERSATION.

there is no such thing as not foreign at the pro level, Mistakes happen when players are not sure of there assignments.

again you come out with making stuff up, nothing is made up with anything concerning this, why do you think rookies are slow to see action? again list the ready to do what your asking Players on our roster last year, who where all these jet sweepers, ffs even Dequara was penalized in a game for improper alignment and he's been here 3 freaking years.

again, short conversation because your a A H

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
10 May 2023 10:40
Pckfn23 wrote:
10 May 2023 10:30
Yoop wrote:

Again running motion or Jet Sweeps is not something that is foreign or new to ANY receiver and it is not special to a LaFleur scheme. You just completely made the bolded part up.

there is no such thing as not foreign at the pro level, Mistakes happen when players are not sure of there assignments.
So the game completely changes when a player is draft. Nothing done before equates to what is done in the NFL? Yet another example of you making things up...
again you come out with making stuff up, nothing is made up with anything concerning this, why do you think rookies are slow to see action? again list the ready to do what your asking Players on our roster last year, who where all these jet sweepers, ffs even Dequara was penalized in a game for improper alignment and he's been here 3 freaking years.
Ya, you did completely make up the bolded part from above. CHRISTIAN WATSON RAN A JET SWEEP IN HIS VERY FIRST GAME AS A PRO. Motion and Jet sweeps just are not hard concepts that receivers have never or rarely encountered before. This is not a reason why we would not run them as much.

The rest of this paragraph is completely nonsensical.
again, short conversation because your a A H
Bye!

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

You are missing the point. The conversation was that we will likely run more pre-snap motion as LaFluer (our still coach) likes it and Rodgers (our former QB) didn't like it as much. You agreed with this statement above. At no point did anyone say that Rodgers not liking presnap makes him a bad QB, or that anything was all his fault, or even somewhat his fault. You take any conversation and hijack into that, and it is so incredibly tiresome.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
10 May 2023 12:20
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

You are missing the point. The conversation was that we will likely run more pre-snap motion as LaFluer (our still coach) likes it and Rodgers (our former QB) didn't like it as much. You agreed with this statement above. At no point did anyone say that Rodgers not liking presnap makes him a bad QB, or that anything was all his fault, or even somewhat his fault. You take any conversation and hijack into that, and it is so incredibly tiresome.
guilty, but then so many and this one included is to blame Rodgers, or insinuate that he is/was the reason Lafleur couldn't operate his schemes, and thats not accurate, this article and the prior one shows Rodgers simply wanted a better balance of Pass, run and motion.

We needed WAtson more as a receiver then a runner, again we lacked players Lafleur liked to use in jet sweeps

Watson, whom the Packers spent two second-round picks on, was the only major addition to a wideout room that had just lost Davante Adams. His combination of size and speed got him all the attention he needed coming from an FCS school in NDSU. It felt like he could grow up fast, sparking Green Bay’s downfield attack and to some extent replacing departed deep-threat Marquez Valdes-Scantling. On the first play of the season — the first play of his professional career — he had one of the worst drops you will ever see.

But once we could get our hands off our heads, it’s easy to see how, rookie moment aside, the play was encouraging. He burned Patrick Peterson on a great route. Since he did end up making it to the NFL, I’m going to assume he makes that play a lot more often than not – he sure thinks so. The problem is, he hasn’t gotten more big opportunities since, having ostensibly been relegated to the role that Tyler Ervin previously held: pretty much exclusively running jet sweeps.

https://zonecoverage.com/2022/packers/c ... -all-year/

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We needed WAtson more as a receiver then a runner, again we lacked players Lafleur liked to use in jet sweeps
Look at you continue to make things up. First it was inexperience, now we just needed Watson as a receiver and we didn't have the players to run the Jet Sweep. It's hilarious how the article you brought COMPLETELY invalidates your previous argument so in true yoop fashion you bring new and completely fabricated ones instead of admitting fault and moving on.