Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Nov 2023 08:42
You can clearly see when he's in rhythm, he's very comfortable delivering the ball. He wasn't seeing the plays develop early on and was hesitant to let it fly which was throwing everything off. That, and his receivers weren't consistently where they were supposed to be on schedule, either. Now you can tell in the past 3-4 weeks he/they have gotten much more comfortable with routes/reads and the LaFleur scheme is delivering. Love's comp% reflects that, too.

As far as off schedule, I think Love's gotten better as the season has progressed but it's obviously still a work in progress. I wouldn't be disappointed to see him take off running more when plays don't develop on schedule. He seems to have taken on a bit of Rodgers' trait of not giving up on a play and waiting out the receivers to get open. He's taken some unnecessary sacks as a result. Being more judicious in that regard could go a long way in staying on play schedule and gaining that next set of downs.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

The only real problem I see is the rainbow shots. He's got to get those out long before he sees an open man. Let them run under them rather than slowing down for the ball and letting the DBs get there in a better position to make a play on the ball. Other wise he's got to flatten the trajectory on them.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Cdragon wrote:
30 Nov 2023 11:03
The only real problem I see is the rainbow shots. He's got to get those out long before he sees an open man. Let them run under them rather than slowing down for the ball and letting the DBs get there in a better position to make a play on the ball. Other wise he's got to flatten the trajectory on them.
Someone needs to give him the "If hes even hes leaving" talk and tell him to throw it up and let his guy get under it. These short balls down the field have been really bad looking and Watson as of late is saving him.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Cdragon wrote:
And it's very correctable. Much better to be in the position of "he can throw it...he just needs to throw after the first hitch" rather than "he can't throw beyond 40 yards"
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

REEN BAY, Wis. – The Green Bay Packers’ passing game has been painful to watch, with inaccurate throws, shoddy pass protection and dropped passes providing the stubbed toes, hammered thumbs and skinned knees to a disappointing start to the season.

In data provided to Packer Central by Pro Football Focus, Jordan Love has given his pass-catchers 47 opportunities in contested-catch situations. They’ve caught 10.

That contested-catch rate of 21.3 percent is by far the worst in the NFL. The only other teams at less than 30 percent are the Tennessee Titans (28.6 percent) and Kansas City Chiefs (29.7 percent

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/gameday/ ... no-contest

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

4 week old article.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
30 Nov 2023 12:26
Cdragon wrote:
And it's very correctable. Much better to be in the position of "he can throw it...he just needs to throw after the first hitch" rather than "he can't throw beyond 40 yards"
Watch CJ Stroud here and how he transfers all his weight to his front foot and gets his body into it:

Love is still leaning back on his deep throws:

Looking through all his deep balls in the NFL and college, it seems to be a learned habit. Gotta get him out of it.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
30 Nov 2023 12:26
Cdragon wrote:
this is his 4th season, the tech we see, the passes we see him throw is what we should expect, sure there might be slight improvement, but I don't expect it.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Nov 2023 12:34
4 week old article.
so, the point is the blocking sucked to start the season, just as I said it did, and the receivers didn't catch the passes Love had time to throw.

I had more to add but got a phone call.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

You guys are getting into "how" Jordan is throwing it

We have already established he can throw 55+ yards. Love's problems on many of his underthrows is because he simply throws too late or willingly underthrows his guys because of timing/accuracy. And that is the piece that is very, very correctable.

Especially the fast guys. Rodgers had issues connecting with MVS and Watson all the time because their speed isn't "ordinary"
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
30 Nov 2023 12:46

We have already established he can throw 55+ yards. Love's problems on many of his underthrows is because he simply throws too late or willingly underthrows his guys because of timing/accuracy. And that is the piece that is very, very correctable.

Especially the fast guys. Rodgers had issues connecting with MVS and Watson all the time because their speed isn't "ordinary"
Love has about the same tech as Rodgers, he needs to be more aware of footwork, however I don't expect much of anything to change

I said everything you just said months ago, Love needs to trigger sooner, he takes to much time setting up, that he can improve,

ordinary? so are you saying Love needs slower receivers? it's just just a matter of a faster release and building chemistry with his receivers.

and that was a 70yrd air ball from Stroud.

also once Rodgers developed some chemistry with Watson he was hitting him just fine.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
30 Nov 2023 12:45
Pckfn23 wrote:
4 week old article.
so, the point is the blocking sucked to start the season, just as I said it did, and the receivers didn't catch the passes Love had time to throw.

Except the pass blocking didn't suck to start the year. Both the Atlanta and Bears game were very good giving up 3 and 5 pressures respectively (not exclusive to the OL). The next 4 games were not the best. The last 5 have been pretty good.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 30 Nov 2023 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
30 Nov 2023 12:46

100% that part of it as well. The pass to Watson was a hitch late for sure. 100% correctable even in season.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Nov 2023 13:03
Yoop wrote:
30 Nov 2023 12:45
Pckfn23 wrote:
4 week old article.

Except the pass blocking didn't suck to start the year. Both the Atlanta and Bears game were very good giving up 3 and 5 pressures respectively (not exclusive to the OL). The next 4 games were not the best. The last 5 have been pretty good.
whatever, he still dealt with pressure and had to avoid it, but compared to the next 4 or 5 games, your right it declined a lot.

my point has always been, pressure played a equal part in dropped passes for Loves struggles, along with crap run blocking and Jones injury, it made Loves start harder then we expected.

Over the Packers’ four-game losing streak, Love has the fourth-most drop backs when under pressure, according to PFF, and consistent pressure on the quarterback is not a recipe for success for an inexperienced offense.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/1 ... around-qb/

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Nov 2023 12:22
Cdragon wrote:
Someone needs to give him the "If hes even hes leaving" talk and tell him to throw it up and let his guy get under it. These short balls down the field have been really bad looking and Watson as of late is saving him.
Absolutely. He's waiting too long to let it loose and the ball is late as a result. As has been pointed out, he only makes it more difficult on the receivers by hesitating. Like you said, "if he's even he's leaving" is a football truism and something Love needs to get comfortable with.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

My thought is that Love has done more than well enough. He's shown the skills where he needed to. But the other working parts of the offense haven't put him or kept him in the ideal conditions. The OLine started much of the year playing sub-par, for sure. Now, as things are beginning to play more cohesive ball, Love's skills (which were on display the first two months) are now bearing more fruit as the other guys (i.e. Watson, Doubs, etc.) do more.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Jordan Love was the best football player on the field tonight.

He was going against 2-time SB winner/MVP Patrick Mahomes.

He is breaking out in a big, big way with his last 2 performances.