Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Dan Snyder got bored of hiding away on his yacht, set to testify on Thursday. :munch:

PFT:
With the deposition of Commanders owner Daniel Snyder set to commence on Thursday at 8:00 a.m. ET, a deal has been reached between Snyder and the House Oversight Committee for Snyder to testify.

Via Ben Standig of TheAthletic.com, the Committee has announced that Snyder will participate in the deposition, and that he has “committed to providing full and complete testimony” regarding “his knowledge of and contributions to the Commanders’ toxic work environment.”

Snyder will testify remotely, and the deposition won’t be televised. Eventually, all or part of the testimony could be released publicly.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

DK Metcalf got himself an extension: three-year, $72 million extension with $58.2 million guaranteed.

Including his last rookie contract year, that's 76.4M and 58.6M guaranteed for the 4 years.

Surprised it's only 3 years, and that's a big % guaranteed... Win for the receiver.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Speaking of FA WR signings:

^^#didntmakethelist^^

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

The Cards ditch the "Homework Clause" from Kyler Murray's extension.

I mean... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!???? :messedup: :messedup: :messedup:

:rotf:

The clause required Murray to put in at least four hours per week of in-season independent study... What were they honestly gonna do if he didn't do that? Take away his phone and PlayStation privileges and ground him in the team hotel for a week?

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

salmar80 wrote:
28 Jul 2022 23:47
The Cards ditch the "Homework Clause" from Kyler Murray's extension.

I mean... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!???? :messedup: :messedup: :messedup:

:rotf:

The clause required Murray to put in at least four hours per week of in-season independent study... What were they honestly gonna do if he didn't do that? Take away his phone and PlayStation privileges and ground him in the team hotel for a week?

The fact that they put such a clause in the contract doesn't say much for Murray. They have to hope he becomes more professional in the future after paying him such big bucks.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Micah Hyde carried off on cart, that would really suck for him and Buffalo.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

So I get this text from my wife the other day.

"Who's the Las Vegas Raiders?" She doesn't follow football at all. So I respond with this.

"Used to be the Oakland Raiders. They moved. NFL team."

"I'm flying them on Wed."

So apparently my wife it flying the Raiders from Oakland to Canton for the Hall of Fame game. She has just finished flying "Team America Mexico", a big soccer team from Mexico around. They gave the crew one of their jerseys. Yeah, not real expensive. About $20 bucks. So I tell her the raiders are flying to Canton for the HOF games. This is her response.

"Maybe I'll get a jersey from them too."

Me: "I doubt it".

Anyway, this will be her first time flying an NFL team. I can't wait to hear her talk about how big some of the guys are. She has no idea.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Deshaun Watson gets a 6-week suspension.

Since that suspension only affects base salary, Watson only forfeits a total of $345,000.

Per PFT:
Before the trade to the Browns, Watson’s contract called for him to make a $35 million salary in 2022. A six-game suspension under those terms would have cost him $11.6 million.

Watson’s $44.965 million signing bonus is not impacted by the suspension and he has fully guaranteed salaries of $46 million for each of the next four seasons, so the financial blow dealt by the suspension will be a minimal one if Robinson’s decision holds.
---

So, the league sort of deems Watson guilty of something, even if he has settled all but one of his cases....

But his contract is built in a way to make the punishment utterly toothless, except for the team missing his services on the field.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

salmar80 wrote:
01 Aug 2022 09:05

Since that suspension only affects base salary, Watson only forfeits a total of $345,000.

Per PFT:
Before the trade to the Browns, Watson’s contract called for him to make a $35 million salary in 2022. A six-game suspension under those terms would have cost him $11.6 million.

Watson’s $44.965 million signing bonus is not impacted by the suspension and he has fully guaranteed salaries of $46 million for each of the next four seasons, so the financial blow dealt by the suspension will be a minimal one if Robinson’s decision holds.
---

So, the league sort of deems Watson guilty, even if he has settled all but one of his cases....

But his contract is built in a way to make any punishment moot, except for the team missing his services on the field.

Seems like justice in the US...
??
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

salmar80 wrote:

Per PFT:

---

So, the league sort of deems Watson guilty, even if he has settled all but one of his cases....

But his contract is built in a way to make any punishment moot, except for the team missing his services on the field.

I'd wager those settlements cost him a heckuva lot more than $345k. Not that they had much impact on his overall financial status but if the plaintiff's accepted the settlement offer then I'd assume their sense of "justice" has been fulfilled.

I am now curious, though - what would your idea of justice look like?

For reference, here is a summary article detailing all of Watson's alleged transgressions and law enforcement's reaction to the complaints.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

APB wrote:
01 Aug 2022 09:20
salmar80 wrote:

Per PFT:

---

I'd wager those settlements cost him a heckuva lot more than $345k. Not that they had much impact on his overall financial status but if the plaintiff's accepted the settlement offer then I'd assume their sense of "justice" has been fulfilled.

For reference, here is a summary article detailing all of Watson's alleged transgressions and law enforcement's reaction to the complaints.
It's not a thing for this forum, that's why I edited my stupid post.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

salmar80 wrote:
01 Aug 2022 09:35
APB wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

Per PFT:

---

Good decision
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

salmar80 wrote:
APB wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

Per PFT:

---

Unfortunately ur opinion is duely noted.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Aug 2022 10:31
salmar80 wrote:
APB wrote:

Good decision
yes, this is a segregated forum, all stupid post need to be brought up in the podium, this room is for smart post :rotf:

Watson should have gotten a 2 yr suspension and probably jail time, getting to be common practice now to buy peoples silence, it corrupts our judicial system, Justice gets a black eye

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Not all of them, apparently...

Sorry, too easy to pass up...#set'mupknock'mdown #wink

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

BF004 wrote:
01 Aug 2022 13:25
What's up with these 3-year extensions? Especially with large bonuses. You can spread a signing bonus' cap hit over 5 years, and convert other bonuses into a signing bonus to spread them out, too. By doing shorter deals, teams are ending up with higher cap hits than they could. Just seems like sub-optimal cap management.

Good deal for Deebo, tho. The one year makes a difference for him. He'll be 30 instead of 31 when deal ends, could make a big difference for his potential last contract...

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

So is Derek Carr a Hall of Famer? I don't think so.