Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

APB wrote:
01 Aug 2022 09:20
salmar80 wrote:
01 Aug 2022 09:05
Deshaun Watson gets a 6-week suspension.

Since that suspension only affects base salary, Watson only forfeits a total of $345,000.

Per PFT:
Before the trade to the Browns, Watson’s contract called for him to make a $35 million salary in 2022. A six-game suspension under those terms would have cost him $11.6 million.

Watson’s $44.965 million signing bonus is not impacted by the suspension and he has fully guaranteed salaries of $46 million for each of the next four seasons, so the financial blow dealt by the suspension will be a minimal one if Robinson’s decision holds.
---

So, the league sort of deems Watson guilty, even if he has settled all but one of his cases....

But his contract is built in a way to make any punishment moot, except for the team missing his services on the field.

Seems like justice in the US...
I'd wager those settlements cost him a heckuva lot more than $345k. Not that they had much impact on his overall financial status but if the plaintiff's accepted the settlement offer then I'd assume their sense of "justice" has been fulfilled.

I am now curious, though - what would your idea of justice look like?

For reference, here is a summary article detailing all of Watson's alleged transgressions and law enforcement's reaction to the complaints.
For those that want to read the Judge's decision on the 6 game suspension here it is. Very interesting how she came to 6 games.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.espn.com/pdf/2022/0801/watson.pdf

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

6 games seems pretty weak

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

wallyuwl wrote:
02 Aug 2022 00:43
6 games seems pretty weak
Read the judge's reasoning. It will make sense.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, kinda light punishment, but reasonable given the present CBA guidelines for discipline. I do think they still could have justifiably given him a tougher penalty even so, an unprecedented penalty to fit unprecedented wrongdoing as per the agreement, but the judge's reasoning is sound.

I will agree with some of the public outcry that the severe punishment on guys like Ridley and Bryant looks a lot less justifiable now.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

unprecedented none violent sex? he intimidated 20 woman to have sex or he would do everything he could to ruin there career, reputation, and lord knows what else, and gets a slap on the wrist 6 game suspension, I bet it cost him a lot to buy this judge.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
02 Aug 2022 07:25
unprecedented none violent sex? he intimidated 20 woman to have sex or he would do everything he could to ruin there career, reputation, and lord knows what else, and gets a slap on the wrist 6 game suspension, I bet it cost him a lot to buy this judge.
Haven’t heard some of those details
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yikes

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pretty sad that I read that punishment imposed on the Dolphins and wasn't sure for which transgression it was for...

Tanking?
Tampering?
Unfair employment practices?

Read More. Post Less.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
02 Aug 2022 02:01
Yeah, kinda light punishment, but reasonable given the present CBA guidelines for discipline. I do think they still could have justifiably given him a tougher penalty even so, an unprecedented penalty to fit unprecedented wrongdoing as per the agreement, but the judge's reasoning is sound.

I will agree with some of the public outcry that the severe punishment on guys like Ridley and Bryant looks a lot less justifiable now.
I was listening to the radio and it sounds like this is just a third party recommendation and the league can do what it wants. Sounds like the league is going to be tougher.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
02 Aug 2022 12:13
Labrev wrote:
02 Aug 2022 02:01

I was listening to the radio and it sounds like this is just a third party recommendation and the league can do what it wants. Sounds like the league is going to be tougher.
Nah. The league CAN do what it wants...because it CAN appeal, and that appeal would go to Goodell (lol).

But the NFLPA and the NFL agreed on this new process where a neutral arbitrator decides. The league did allow itself the out under “emergency” situations where the league could appeal and trump the arbitrator basically.

But this is the first case under this system. It would be a very bad look to punt on the cba agreement and claim emergency on first case. It would compromise the agreement and the judge right off rip.

So..yes...the league CAN do what it wants, but this is more than a recommendation and it is supposed to be final, unless the league claims emergency harm basically

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Aug 2022 07:55
Yoop wrote:

The lawsuits say that Watson sexually harassed and assaulted a number of massage therapists. The specific accusations are wide-ranging but include descriptions of him exposing himself without consent, forcing women into sexual acts and making veiled threats.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/26/desha ... ts-summary

I admit to expounding concerning veiled threats :lol: but why would he pay off all these woman if he didn't make threats, the reason he's only getting a 6 game suspension is because he silenced the woman. :idn:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
02 Aug 2022 13:46
Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

The lawsuits say that Watson sexually harassed and assaulted a number of massage therapists. The specific accusations are wide-ranging but include descriptions of him exposing himself without consent, forcing women into sexual acts and making veiled threats.

I admit to expounding concerning veiled threats :lol: but why would he pay off all these woman if he didn't make threats, the reason he's only getting a 6 game suspension is because he silenced the woman. :idn:
Yeah, No. You really should read the judge's reasoning before making off-the-wall comments like this.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

The league didn't get the Dolphins for tanking, but they did catch them tampering...

For blatant tampering with Brady and Sean Payton, the Dolphins lose 2 draft picks and the owner and vice chairman get basically meaningless suspensions and some fines.

PFT:
The NFL stripped Miami of the team’s first-run pick in 2023, and its third-round selection in 2024. Ross is barred from the team’s facility through October 17, and he cannot represent the club at any team or league event. He is barred from any league meetings before March 2023, and he has been fined $1.5 million.

Beal, the vice chairman and limited partner of the Dolphins, has been barred from all league meetings through the end of the year and fined $500,000.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
02 Aug 2022 18:30
Yoop wrote:
02 Aug 2022 13:46
Drj820 wrote:

Yeah, No. You really should read the judge's reasoning before making off-the-wall comments like this.
get serious, the judge was restricted because of lack of testimony, even so she admits to believing the people that investigated and even explains in detail the accusations against Watson likely happened, however without the woman actually testifying it amounts to a back and forth argument, legally she couldn't do more.

I new all this without reading everything on her ruling, so did you, why do you continue to act so dumbfounded, why is it that everything has to be spelled out black and white for you, or it can't possibly be true, you always take the side of the villain, just because according to our law a person is innocent till PROVEN guilty doesn't mean they didn't do the crime, just means they figured out a way to block the truth from being PROVEN. and that seems obvious in this case.

maybe you should go read her transcript, Watson sought out therapist he could pull this crap with, and here you are defending it, figures.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
03 Aug 2022 01:07
The league didn't get the Dolphins for tanking, but they did catch them tampering...

For blatant tampering with Brady and Sean Payton, the Dolphins lose 2 draft picks and the owner and vice chairman get basically meaningless suspensions and some fines.
Given how harsh the penalty is, they got ‘em for taking, too. The tampering in this case was Al Capone’s tax evasion.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Aug 2022 07:16
salmar80 wrote:
03 Aug 2022 01:07

Given how harsh the penalty is, they got ‘em for taking, too. The tampering in this case was Al Capone’s tax evasion.
Yeah, I suppose this ruling came with a message: "if you tank, we'll get you for something..."

I had a feeling the league would start taking tanking more seriously due to all the new gambling money. Interesting to see where this path leads...

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I’m surprised Kevin king isn’t at camp somewhere. Maybe not someone you want as a starter, but pretty good depth piece.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
03 Aug 2022 10:41
I’m surprised Kevin king isn’t at camp somewhere.
I'm not. And to think Watt was available instead.