Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
17 May 2023 07:06
Labrev wrote:
16 May 2023 16:57
Adams explains why he wanted his trade from GB:
https://clutchpoints.com/packers-news-d ... -green-bay
From the article:
He wanted to be closer to his hometown of East Palo Alto, California. He says his quality of life has improved since moving back west. “It’s done a lot for me mentally.” He can go out with his family after a tough loss, or even play a round of golf, unencumbered by the cold as he would be in Green Bay. He can visit with his mom, enjoy her home-cooked meatloaf, one of his favorites.”
Palo Alto is an 8 hour drive from Vegas. Just sayin'.

Yeah, it's a lot closer than Green Bay but it's not like he can just swing by after practice for some meatloaf. That is, unless he's chartering a direct flight every time he gets a hankering for it.
Probably just as likely his family comes to visit him.

1:40 direct flight for <$100, not saying just saying

https://www.google.com/travel/flights/f ... vegas.html

Last I checked, no direct flights from Palo Alto GRB or ATW

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

obviously when he said there wasn't enough money to keep both he and Rodgers he new he would draw the short straw, so he bought a house in Vegas and asked the FO to trade him there, in reality he became to expensive, wanted top dollar and had to leave to get it.

he isn't the only player we've had that added in the weather with there reasons for leaving, obviously the weather wasn't/isn't a deal breaker, just one of the reason we hear a lot.

the closer to home stuff doesn't really add up to me.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
Labrev wrote:
From the article:
He wanted to be closer to his hometown of East Palo Alto, California. He says his quality of life has improved since moving back west. “It’s done a lot for me mentally.” He can go out with his family after a tough loss, or even play a round of golf, unencumbered by the cold as he would be in Green Bay. He can visit with his mom, enjoy her home-cooked meatloaf, one of his favorites.”

Yeah, it's a lot closer than Green Bay but it's not like he can just swing by after practice for some meatloaf. That is, unless he's chartering a direct flight every time he gets a hankering for it.
This is why not a lot of athletes talk to the media. Guy tells what he wasn’t happy about somewhere, and why he is happier now, and people look up drive times between cities to vet if what he says is legit or not.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
17 May 2023 10:12
APB wrote:
Labrev wrote:
From the article:

This is why not a lot of athletes talk to the media. Guy tells what he wasn’t happy about somewhere, and why he is happier now, and people look up drive times between cities to vet if what he says is legit or not.
:lol:

Sorry, but what was said about home cooking and family being readily available doesn't make a whole lot of sense at face value.

And I have no problem with celebrity's speaking less publicly. I actually encourage it. :aok:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Now that I work from home, I'd be a horrible NFL player because I would ask if I could work remote every day.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Who drives?

He went from a flight with connections to quick direct flights.

He didn’t say he sings by after practice, just that he sees his family more than he used to.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

he also just said he likes being able to go outside. He likes to be able to play golf all year around. That its good for his mental health.

He is saying why we miss out on alot of FAs, but hey, he was speaking his truth.

The value in hearing that is that now we know for sure that there were more reasons than the packers not dealing with his contract until they handled the rodgers situation.

I always liked Davante.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Acrobat wrote:
17 May 2023 10:55
Now that I work from home, I'd be a horrible NFL player because I would ask if I could work remote every day.
"Hello Acrobat, what's happening? Umm, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday and do some long snapping. So if you could be here around 9 that would be great, mmmk... oh oh! and I almost forgot ahh, I'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Thursday night too, kay."

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

APB wrote:
Labrev wrote:
From the article:

Wow nothing like Davante being decidedly proven wrong immediately after making those comments:

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/ra ... es-to-live

^ new list just dropped

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

texas wrote:
17 May 2023 15:33

Wow nothing like Davante being decidedly proven wrong immediately after making those comments:

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/ra ... es-to-live

^ new list just dropped
The only thing bad Adams said aboutcGB was the weather. He wanted to be closer to family.

But I don't but that YS News ranking. The mayor is a crook who accomplished nothing (except being sued for spying on citizens in City Hall hallways, and illegally handing over the city's running of the 2020 election to a Zuckerbucks funded former Clinton operative that caused the well respected long-time city clerk to resign in protest). He narrowly won reelection (i.e., had more counted ballots with him selected) and 8 of the 12 city council members openly favored his opponent.

Two other things, the schools suck now and crime is out of control.

So I don't buy that ranking at all.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

I don't hold it against him for wanting to be closer to his family and in a milder climate. I was born and raised in GB but the climate up there blows except in the summertime. I suspect he can also go shopping, etc., in Vegas and not really be recognized by folks there. In GB almost everybody knew who he was. Now he can go about his business anonymously.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I didn't see this mentioned before. A competition at center would be interesting.

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
19 May 2023 14:10
I didn't see this mentioned before. A competition at center would be interesting.

I've seen that referenced by a bunch of reporters and I think it's actually getting a teensy bit overhyped. "And possibly even at center" contains both a caveat and a lack of specificity--for instance, we have no clear BACKUP center. If you look at his full comments, he never says anything about starting lineups. He just says that there will be competition all across the right side of the OL and "possibly at C, too."

Also, that interpretation squares a little more directly with OL coach Luke Butkus saying he had no issues with Meyers and he thinks that the sophomore slump was a normal part of the development process for a guy who will be around for a while.

So I like to think that Meyers will at least be pushed--that they understand he needs to play better. But they certainly aren't declaring open season on his job, even as many guys will likely get some center snaps this offseason. It would be nice to have a more solid/stable backup option there than Hansen, anyway.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Starting Oline is going to be Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, JRJ and Tom. Bank on it. The major Oline question is whether Yosh was so bad in that last Lions game that he does not make the 53. Yosh literally could do nothing with that Lions rookie pass rusher except wave him by.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yosh is definitely going to make the 53. No question. He’s backup LT.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Doesn’t sound like they plan on giving a 5th round pick to get rid of savage :roll: :messedup:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
19 May 2023 19:00
Starting Oline is going to be Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, JRJ and Tom. Bank on it. The major Oline question is whether Yosh was so bad in that last Lions game that he does not make the 53. Yosh literally could do nothing with that Lions rookie pass rusher except wave him by.
He didn't have trouble with speed rushers near as much when he played LT, switching is a mechanical 180, meaning when a player goes from one side to the other all footwork is the complete opposite, to me Nijman struggled with that at RT last year, he might get better or he may be a left side guy only

https://www.pff.com/news/switching-sides

thought I brought this for you yesterday Skeptic, it's a informative little article

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
19 May 2023 22:29
Doesn’t sound like they plan on giving a 5th round pick to get rid of savage
when Savage was allowed to do that he was one of the best safety's in the league, so it would seem some sort of 2 high safety or cover 2 is his best fit, just as our CB also seem best in some sort of man coverage, zone requires that everyone know the terminology and reads perfectly, to have to think about what your assignment is equates to being late to make a play, don't we see a lot of that?

with coach Barry we've seen him force players to adjust to his schemes, instead of he adjusting his schemes to the talent we have, this isn't one player not fitting in, last year the whole secondary struggled to adapt to his cover 3 format for over half a season, if it starts that way again don't wait, fire him early and let Williams or someone else run the D

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
20 May 2023 08:40
Drj820 wrote:
19 May 2023 22:29
Doesn’t sound like they plan on giving a 5th round pick to get rid of savage
when Savage was allowed to do that he was one of the best safety's in the league, so it would seem some sort of 2 high safety or cover 2 is his best fit, just as our CB also seem best in some sort of man coverage, zone requires that everyone know the terminology and reads perfectly, to have to think about what your assignment is equates to being late to make a play, don't we see a lot of that?

with coach Barry we've seen him force players to adjust to his schemes, instead of he adjusting his schemes to the talent we have, this isn't one player not fitting in, last year the whole secondary struggled to adapt to his cover 3 format for over half a season, if it starts that way again don't wait, fire him early and let Williams or someone else run the D
I'm also generally blaming Barry for the performance of the D last year, but as fans we don't have the knowledge much of the time of what the correct call and coverage is. Sometimes it only takes one player not being assignment sound to blow the whole thing.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Serious question: How do you improve tackling performance for a unit of NFL players with so many limits on practice and camp contact, and without risking more injury damage than it's worth?

We keep having tackling issues, including and not limited to Savage, and we talk about working on it... but how does that improve? Do the best tackling teams do things differently? Or do they draft players who come out of college as sure tacklers?

Evidence/reason only. I'm not interested in platitudes about being tougher or whatever.