Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Horrendous call from Zimmer not to take the FG and go up 8. I don't care if you are "Going for it", that is the other team scoring and two with a minute left, which isn't as likely as scoring once to win which the Seahawks did. Hoping the Queens win some games, I do not want them having a top 10 pick.

If they go 4-12 with a bunch of coaching errors, does Zim get the axe even though they just gave him a new deal or are they tied to him?
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Packfntk wrote:
12 Oct 2020 08:09
Horrendous call from Zimmer not to take the FG and go up 8. I don't care if you are "Going for it", that is the other team scoring and two with a minute left, which isn't as likely as scoring once to win which the Seahawks did. Hoping the Queens win some games, I do not want them having a top 10 pick.

If they go 4-12 with a bunch of coaching errors, does Zim get the axe even though they just gave him a new deal or are they tied to him?
I would have kicked the field goal too. But Mattison had a hole. It was also a poor run by him.

I really, really wanted MN to win that damn game. Because as you said. I want them having an 8-8 record.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Per analytics Zimmer made the right decision to go for it but the wrong play call. You gotta QB sneak that. That was an actual inch to go to get the first.

Really it came down to that 4th and 10 and the CB Dantzler thought the past would be overthrown and looked like he was trying to get in position for a pick... on 4th down... and DK went up and snatched it in front of him. Dantzler never even contested the catch.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Oct 2020 08:18
Per analytics Zimmer made the right decision to go for it but the wrong play call. You gotta QB sneak that. That was an actual inch to go to get the first.

Really it came down to that 4th and 10 and the CB Dantzler thought the past would be overthrown and looked like he was trying to get in position for a pick... on 4th down... and DK went up and snatched it in front of him. Dantzler never even contested the catch.
There was only a 2% difference between kicking a FG. Either way should have worked.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I am 100% kicking the field goal to go up by 8.

Not only do they need the TD, but then 2, and then still at worst 50% chance in OT.

pack power
Reactions:

Post by pack power »

I wanted the Vikings to lose last night till I thought about it and decided a loss by Seattle could have been the better result for our Packers, but it didn't happen.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Packfntk wrote:
12 Oct 2020 08:09

I saw a photo from above during that play it appeared the seachickens had a lot of guys in MN's backfield. If you have defenders in your backfield on a play like that your chances of success are poor. That darn Wilson has made a living out of pulling wins out of his keister in the final seconds of a game. If you make it an 8 point game even if Russell does it again the worst that can happen is OT.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
12 Oct 2020 08:58

Not only do they need the TD, but then 2, and then still at worst 50% chance in OT.
That's all true, but there's something really nice about "if we gain an inch, the game is over and Russell Wilson has no say in it."

Also, as someone mentioned, the hole outside of the FB was massive. Mattison went inside the FB. Maybe that's how it was called and designed (and the FB's leverage indicated as much), but that's still a miss by Mattison. And the way the team had been running the ball throughout the game... going for it was definitely tempting and appealing.

As others have mentioned, the analytics were close, so honestly, it's a judgment call. I'll never fault a coach for saying "we pick up an inch and we win the game? Let's go get the inch."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

pack power wrote:
12 Oct 2020 09:02
I wanted the Vikings to lose last night till I thought about it and decided a loss by Seattle could have been the better result for our Packers, but it didn't happen.
That was tough for me cuz I didn't want either team to win. :lol:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pugger wrote:
12 Oct 2020 09:05
pack power wrote:
12 Oct 2020 09:02
That was tough for me cuz I didn't want either team to win. :lol:
Haha, the Seahawks are always tricky for me. We have such a pained and competitive on-field relationship with them, be it the Fail Mary, the blown NFC Championship game, but also some wins on our ide like knocking them out of the playoffs last year. And they do keep over-achieving a bit and I like to knock teams like that down a peg.

But they also have such a good off-field relationship with the Packers and with me. Like John Schnieder was super nice to me at the 2005 combine. He's tight with the whole Packers organization. TT and Dorsey, before that, had both worked for each organization. Obviously there's the Holmgren connection.

Plus, I genuinely like Pete Carroll from our time at USC together. He's a good dude even though he reads as obnoxious and whiny publicly and I get that. And I genuinely like Russell Wilson even though he's a little coockoo with some of his public persona; and he's good.

So it's a team I'd normally root for. If they were still an AFC team, they'd probably be my AFC alternative. But they're an NFC competitor who takes us to the ropes. So I always want them to lose more than they do.

The Vikings? I can just hate them.

Football interest? I wanted the Seahawks to lose. Personal interest? I can never want the Vikings to win.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Zimmer is an overrated coach. He’s had a great roster most of his time in MN, and parlayed that Into average results. That’s because he’s an average coach.

You kick the fg and go up 8. If you don’t do that, with dalvin out you qb sneak it and tell Kirk to get 6 inches.

Beyond that, you don’t blitz Russ Wilson twice on 4th down on the final drive. He will use his eyes to punish you. It’s not going to rattle him, he isn’t Daniel Jones. You are very unlikely to actually get to him before he starts to buy time and look down field for a WR in a 1v1 matchup.

Thought the loss could be pinned solely on Zimmer.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Oct 2020 09:27
Beyond that, you don’t blitz Russ Wilson twice on 4th down on the final drive. He will use his eyes to punish you. It’s not going to rattle him, he isn’t Daniel Jones. You are very unlikely to actually get to him before he starts to buy time and look down field for a WR in a 1v1 matchup.
I dunno, I disagree. They sacked him 4 times in the first half. He's a high-sack QB. Maybe you're right in 2-minute drills where he goes other-worldly with regularity, but Wilson looked lost for stretches of this game when there was pressure and his initial read wasn't available. Like I said before, Wilson has taken at least 40 sacks every year as a starter except as a rookie. Plus, in a 2-minute drill forcing a scramble that doesn't et out of bounds isn't a bad result.

Obviously, the outcome didn't work out, but I don't think the decisions were doomed. And as I said before, if I had the chance to end the game without giving Wilson a chance at late-game heroics, I find that incredibly appealing. The Vikings lost the game because they don't have the horses in the secondary and because they didn't punish the Seahawks enough when things weren't working (2 FGs instead of TDs in the first half when the team looked inept; coming up short at the goalline with 2 minutes, etc.)

I agree that Zimmer is an overrated coach, but I'm not ready to pile on after this loss. They were in position to beat a much better team. The execution fell through. Things happen.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

So does Flores have that Miami trending in the right direction? Like, are they good? Other than the opener against New England, they have played pretty well in every game against some pretty good competition and hung in there with Buffalo and Seattle before beating the &%$@ out of the 49ers.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
12 Oct 2020 10:24
So does Flores have that Miami trending in the right direction? Like, are they good? Other than the opener against New England, they have played pretty well in every game against some pretty good competition and hung in there with Buffalo and Seattle before beating the &%$@ out of the 49ers.
He's definitely a coach I like--was among my top choices for us last year. I think they're on schedule. They managed to suck enough to get Tua last year while still showing promise. Lots of their players are flashing this year, but there is still a need for some consistency and better line play. If they can solidify the OL and find themselves a top notch pass rusher this year, then they successfully open their window for the Tua rookie contract phase next year by building the team around him before inserting him into the fire.

They hired Flores with more of a 3-5 year plan than a 2-year plan, and it seems to be working out that way by my view.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

NCF wrote:
12 Oct 2020 10:24
They aren't a bad team, and Flores is a good coach. And it helps that they are on the good end of the cycle.
image.png
image.png (324.71 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i like Flores alot. He seems to have a great mindset that the players feed off of and respond to. Im sure they still have missing pieces, but they put in the effort. I think he was a very good hire.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Your way too early NFC Playoff Picture

1) 5-0
:seahawks:

Bye

2) 4-0 (losing to Seattle by Strength of Victory)
:packers:

Vs

7) 3-2 (Over AZ to Head to Head)
:panthers:

3) 3-2 (Over Panthers to Head to Head)
:buccaneers:

Vs

6) 4-1
:bears:

4) 2-3
:cowboys:

Vs

5) 4-1 (Over Bears to SoV)
:rams:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Oct 2020 09:04
BF004 wrote:
12 Oct 2020 08:58

That's all true, but there's something really nice about "if we gain an inch, the game is over and Russell Wilson has no say in it."

Also, as someone mentioned, the hole outside of the FB was massive. Mattison went inside the FB. Maybe that's how it was called and designed (and the FB's leverage indicated as much), but that's still a miss by Mattison. And the way the team had been running the ball throughout the game... going for it was definitely tempting and appealing.

As others have mentioned, the analytics were close, so honestly, it's a judgment call. I'll never fault a coach for saying "we pick up an inch and we win the game? Let's go get the inch."
The problem with the hole on the outside is if he hits it, he's in the endzone. I wonder if Cook would have seen it? An how many people are second-guessing the other two 4th and short calls that ended up with 10 points? Maybe they should have punted on those two.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

The Rams are interesting. 4-0 against the NFC East. 0-1 against everyone else (Buffalo). Are they good or not? SF and Seattle should definitely beat a couple of games out of them and the Cards could, too. AFC East games tougher than most would have thought and Bears and Bucs. We'll see, but this looks like an easy early play-off team that will fall out of the picture as the season goes on.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Regarding Zimmer's decision to go for the kill shot, I have no problem with it. As Yoho said, it was a decision to completely eliminate the Wilson miracle effect. In that circumstance with that field position and distance, I make that call 10 of 10 times.

What I will blame him for, tho, is the play call. They were mere inches from a first down. QB sneak that all the way.