Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Mar 2023 09:28
After that deal, he did alot of foolishness like not show up for spring, or OTAs or spend any time with the rookies whatsoever etc etc

And "allegedly" this whole time Love was making great strides and improving day by day.

I think a report said the Packers were even "done" with Rodgers basically as soon as he "checked out" going back into the early parts of the season.

That said, if they knew they wanted to move on. And they knew they were "done", why didnt Love play when the thumb broke? Would have been a perfect excuse to actually see what he can do. It would have given us clarity for how the QB would perform without Rodgers in 2023, would have given clarity on the 5th year option, and we could see how much we really need Rodgers, Love, or someone else.

Point being, if true they knew they were moving on...they had the perfect opportunity to play Love and they should have.

Not playing Love makes me think they still wanted to hide him and the reports of how great he is now could be propaganda.

This coaching staff has a bad track-record of sitting players they should have played and playing/starting players they should sit. That seems like the more likely reason they stuck with Rodgers to me, and if I had any doubt that was the case, the Eagles game (limited though it may have been) allays that doubt.

I don't see why reports of Love's progress coinciding with Rodgers checking out can't be coincidental. We knew Love was a project who needed a couple seasons of development, so his strides/improvement fit the timeline, whatever is going on with Rodgers.

You also have to consider that among the few people out there who would know if Love can play or not is Rodgers himself.

If Rodgers saw behind the scenes that Love can't play, we are not letting him go talk to the Jets. We are shopping Love and begging Rodgers to return.

Rodgers's uncertainty immediately after the Lions game tells me everything. If he knew he wants to play (and we know he does), he wants to stay (retiring a Packer was what he wanted), and if he knows Love can't play, then there is nothing to be uncertain about.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Does the availability of Jackson affect our compensation? Like Jackson is 13 years younger, a former MVP, and a mega-star. He can be had for 2 first-round picks. That definitely puts a ceiling on the Rodgers compensation; I mean, I don't think we were looking at 2 firsts, anyway (unless there's a conditional 2024 pick and Rodgers is an all pro on a Jets AFC Championship team)

Both will have absurd financial demands. Both have drawbacks. It just seems weird that Jets and Jackson haven't been linked since he actually became available (it was all over the internet in, like, January/February) if nothing more than for leverage in negotiations with the Packers.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I think Rodgers maximum value is a 1st and 2nd this year and a conditional 3rd next year with the possibility of being a first with a championship appearance, 2nd if they just make the playoffs.

I’d be shocked if they’re more than that especially considering the Jets have the 13th pick which has solid value. I think the most likely scenario is we get the same deal as the Adams trade just with better pick value.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Mar 2023 11:54
Does the availability of Jackson affect our compensation? Like Jackson is 13 years younger, a former MVP, and a mega-star. He can be had for 2 first-round picks. That definitely puts a ceiling on the Rodgers compensation; I mean, I don't think we were looking at 2 firsts, anyway (unless there's a conditional 2024 pick and Rodgers is an all pro on a Jets AFC Championship team)

Both will have absurd financial demands. Both have drawbacks. It just seems weird that Jets and Jackson haven't been linked since he actually became available (it was all over the internet in, like, January/February) if nothing more than for leverage in negotiations with the Packers.
In addition to your points, Jackson's lack of an agent is hurting him, I think.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:

My guess is if reports are really true about concern with paying Aaron 'so much', they aren't going to be super interested in handing out a 5 year guaranteed contract.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I mean with Lamar he’s missed significant time in back to back years and plays in a manner that is going to get him hurt even more. He’s a bad QB. If you make him play from within the pocket he’s bad. As he gets older and loses his athleticism or gets more dinged up what makes him special is going to fade. We already saw in the 2021 season the teams that just pressed his receivers and sent 7 or 8 guys at him he sucked. The Dolphins did it and every team copied it and he fell off the face of the earth as a passer.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

YoHoChecko wrote:

I would assume the Raven's are going to match whatever somebody else will give. So if you think you've worked something out with Jackson and the rug gets pulled, you're out Jackson and maybe you've screwed a possible deal with AR.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2023 12:08
My guess is if reports are really true about concern with paying Aaron 'so much', they aren't going to be super interested in handing out a 5 year guaranteed contract.
I don't think anyone is interested ina 5-year guaranteed contract, but aside from that, I think it's completely different.

The concern about paying Rodgers is that he might be a 1-year rental and you don't want him making a multi-year cap issue out of that one year. They're hoping for a 2-year commitment, but even then, they'll likely put void years in a deal that will create cap space early and dead money in year 3.

With a 5-year deal, they can structure it how they want to and create cap flexibility. Paying Rodgers $50M/year for 2 years has a much bigger cap impact in the 3-year window than paying Lamar Jackson $50M/year over 5 years.

Just a totally different kind of "$50 million deal" for each of these guys.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Lamar’s MVP was years ago. He should have started asking for a new dew immediately after that. A good agent would have told him to do so. Nobody giving a fully guaranteed deal to a guy who can’t finish the season unless it’s an awful desperate team. Ie: look out for Atlanta.

That’s about it
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Mar 2023 12:04
I think Rodgers maximum value is a 1st and 2nd this year and a conditional 3rd next year with the possibility of being a first with a championship appearance, 2nd if they just make the playoffs.

I’d be shocked if they’re more than that especially considering the Jets have the 13th pick which has solid value. I think the most likely scenario is we get the same deal as the Adams trade just with better pick value.
No way we get an unconditional 1 and 2, not happening

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Mar 2023 12:56
Lamar’s MVP was years ago. He should have started asking for a new dew immediately after that. A good agent would have told him to do so. Nobody giving a fully guaranteed deal to a guy who can’t finish the season unless it’s an awful desperate team. Ie: look out for Atlanta.

That’s about it
I mean he's 26 and his MVP season was 2019 (just before Rodgers' back-to-back)

I agree that his injury history is a big detriment to HIM being the guaranteed contract standard bearer, but no one is opting out on Lamar because "his MVP was years ago." He's like 18 months older than Hendon Hooker and Stetson Bennett

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Hard to gauge all the possibilities and conditional.

But I would expect very similar value to what we got for Davante.

Which would be a little bit more than simply just pick 13.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Mar 2023 12:59
Drj820 wrote:
08 Mar 2023 12:56

That’s about it
I mean he's 26 and his MVP season was 2019 (just before Rodgers' back-to-back)

I agree that his injury history is a big detriment to HIM being the guaranteed contract standard bearer, but no one is opting out on Lamar because "his MVP was years ago." He's like 18 months older than Hendon Hooker and Stetson Bennett
No one is opting in because of that MVP is my point. Two basic boy seasons since, in which he didn’t finish the seasons two years in a row, have jettisoned the mvp and guaranteed contract possibilities into the rear view.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I honestly think if gutey gets offered the 13 straight up and rodgers agrees to go to the Jets, he just has to take it and be thankful. Rodgers can complicate too much too play too many games.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

For discussion, IF Rodgers gets traded, will Packers also trade Bahktiari?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
08 Mar 2023 13:07
I want them to but I don't think they will.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
08 Mar 2023 13:14
Scott4Pack wrote:
Love could use a good LT too

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
08 Mar 2023 13:14
Scott4Pack wrote:
Same here.

But I DO think there's a reason that all the other restructures are done and Bakhtiari's hasn't.

He has a bonus due March 17th. That bonus either gets converted to a signing bonus to spread the hit out or something happens before then. The Jets NEED an OT. Rodgers and Bakh are best friends.

Multiple local reporters came away from the talks (public and private) at the combine saying Bakh is staying in Green Bay. But if the Jets and Rodgers really want it to make this deal work??

I'm still holding out hope that it happens, honestly. I think we have the tools to replace him and I think taking the cap hit on Rodgers creates a need to open up more space. Bakhtiari saves another $5.5 mil this year and big money next year.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ha.

Just saw this

Been on that tarin for weeks, if not months. Hope it isn't truly just a thought from a guy who has been reporting from the inside on this seemingly accurately, but it probably is just a thought.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i kind of felt like broke knee bakh turned the corner a little at the end of last year, and it would be great to have a solid LT for Love. Especially when I could see us losing Yosh.

But if the Jets really wanted to make it a haul and we really wanted to rebuild, i suppose id be down. Bakh seems pretty happy in his own right here. And he kind of owes us consider all he has stolen from us last couple years. But if the Jets wanna give about 3 1s and a 2, i suppose we should dance.