General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Nov 2020 14:26
lupedafiasco wrote:
02 Nov 2020 12:17
NCF wrote:
02 Nov 2020 12:00

Barnes and Martin have impressed me with their physicality. Unfortunately, they also filled the wrong gaps about 200 times yesterday.
Yup agreed. Or they were late getting there. Barnes in particular was really bad yesterday.

But blame the coaches! Shame on them for not having an undrafted rookie and a 5th round rookie ready to play with no real training camp. Blame the outside linebackers! Roar!
Ya, don't blame the coach who schemes an OLB man up on a TE who is split wide. MULTIPLE TIMES.

Ya, don't the OLBs who continually up field or don't set the edge or don't squeeze the B/C gap.

Martin was good yesterday. Barnes wasn't bad. The blame isn't there.
I think you are both right. I have plenty of blame to go around.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I see some of the media guys talking about this and I completely agree. One simple way to make our defense better would be to give up on Savage as a true FS and use him as the Big Nickel where he is actually effective. Seems there is always a semi-competent FS on the street. If we can get one cheap, I would be all for trying that. Unfortunately, we don't have a guy on the roster that can step in to replace Savage's current role unless you want to go super inexperienced with Scott or Black.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
03 Nov 2020 09:11
I see some of the media guys talking about this and I completely agree. One simple way to make our defense better would be to give up on Savage as a true FS and use him as the Big Nickel where he is actually effective. Seems there is always a semi-competent FS on the street. If we can get one cheap, I would be all for trying that. Unfortunately, we don't have a guy on the roster that can step in to replace Savage's current role unless you want to go super inexperienced with Scott or Black.
I don’t think Savage has a role on this defense. You just can’t play him on the backend as a true safety. He can’t tackle at all. I mean he’s really bad. Anytime he’s one on one he’s blowing that tackle. He’s just too small.

You aren’t going to play him over Sullivan in the slot.

Maybe make him the dime CB for however often we play that? I don’t think you can put him in the big nickel role over Greene because Greene can actually handle the physicality being in the box but Savage isn’t going to cut it there unless it’s on passing downs only and even then he’s over the middle of the field in zones having to stop people before the sticks or he’s matched up on the back or TE and is going to have to tackle them one on one when teams scheme up to get that matchup.

Savage is just a bad player because he can’t tackle. The attempt to tackle on the Cook screen was awful and I’ve seen him do this &%$@ over and over. He doesn’t have it.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
31 Oct 2020 14:18
Cdragon wrote:
30 Oct 2020 19:26
Simplified the D so guys can come in and pick it up quick but the more talent he's got, the less aggressive he's become.
I'm not so sure about that. Same with the idea that GB has all the required talent - but Pettine isn't getting it out of them.
Back in 2010, when the Packers had the great fortune of having Tramon Williams make the leap and Sam Shields balling out - it allowed Capers to be more aggressive, move his chess pieces around and take chances. Turnovers resulted. He could trust them on an island and that was the key

Fast forward to 2020, Pettine has Josh Jackson matched up on the outside - Pettine really can't afford to be too aggressive,quite the opposite. He has to babysit. Even when King is in the lineup - he too has his limitations and that limits what Pettine can do.

In my view,the Packers defense does not currently have all of the personnel needed to be a Top 10 defense. They have many of the pieces and parts, but the holes that have been discussed at great length here ( CB depth, DL, ILB) limit what a coach can scheme up and how aggressive he can be. We've also had a revolving door at ILB, the QB of the defense. 6 weeks into 2020, Ty Summers has played more snaps on defense than Kirksey. That's not good.

We're also in an unprecedented season in terms of offensive production across the league. Packers offense lit up Zimmer, Patricia, Dennis Allen, Quinn and Crennel. All of those guys are considered talented defensive minds and they all gave up big points to GB.
Did everybody forget how to coach defense or is 2020 just a weird season ?
great post, I agree, we've had a revolving door situation at ILB and safety for like forever, lack of experience amongst the players leads to the mistakes and poor play that we see, couple that with marginal talent level to boot and this is about what we can expect, we are good enough to play against marginal offenses however the good ones exploit our weakness.

It's so easy to blame coaching, and sometimes that is the problem, but I'am not so sure this time, when Prestin Smith is stymied by a TE, thats not exactly a coaching issue.

I'd bet our pass rush has a less then 10% pressure rate, pretty easy to expose a defense under those conditions, I'd blitz a little more to see if that helps.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
03 Nov 2020 09:20
NCF wrote:
03 Nov 2020 09:11
I don’t think Savage has a role on this defense. You just can’t play him on the backend as a true safety. He can’t tackle at all. I mean he’s really bad. Anytime he’s one on one he’s blowing that tackle. He’s just too small.

You aren’t going to play him over Sullivan in the slot.

Maybe make him the dime CB for however often we play that? I don’t think you can put him in the big nickel role over Greene because Greene can actually handle the physicality being in the box but Savage isn’t going to cut it there unless it’s on passing downs only and even then he’s over the middle of the field in zones having to stop people before the sticks or he’s matched up on the back or TE and is going to have to tackle them one on one when teams scheme up to get that matchup.

Savage is just a bad player because he can’t tackle. The attempt to tackle on the Cook screen was awful and I’ve seen him do this &%$@ over and over. He doesn’t have it.
well neither could Josh Jackson, now he's one of our better tacklers, imo we should have turned Jackson into a FS, doing so would maybe have negated the need to draft Savage, and we could have used that pick on a ILB or even a slot WR which we are in dire need of both now.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Stupid election and trade deadline. Just sitting here refreshing twitter every 11 seconds getting nothing done.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

It's Lafluer's birthday. Give him a gift Gutey!

He'll probably send him a savings bond that matures in 20 years.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I had no idea the Giants and Bucs game was that close.

Really wish NYG could have helped us out there.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

go pak go wrote:
03 Nov 2020 11:31

Yeah, they had the lead for most of the game too. Unreal. Was praying for that 2 point conversion to happen at the end. Stupid lucky Brady. :lol:
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Packfntk wrote:
03 Nov 2020 11:32
go pak go wrote:

Yeah, they had the lead for most of the game too. Unreal. Was praying for that 2 point conversion to happen at the end. Stupid lucky Brady. :lol:
They picked up the PI flag just like they did with us.

The announcers were acting like it going to go against Tampa, until the call came and then they justified everything. It looked like PI to me, WR was run into before head was turned around.
RIP JustJeff

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

BF004 wrote:
03 Nov 2020 11:12

Stupid tweets election and trade deadline. Just sitting here refreshing twitter every 11 seconds getting nothing done.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

TheGreenMan wrote:
03 Nov 2020 11:42
Packfntk wrote:
03 Nov 2020 11:32
go pak go wrote:

They picked up the PI flag just like they did with us.

The announcers were acting like it going to go against Tampa, until the call came and then they justified everything. It looked like PI to me, WR was run into before head was turned around.
Oh and the "He just wins" referring to Tom Brady on the bench looking like a child. :suicide:

No, it was his defense that got the stop, not Brady.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

MLF wants WR, Gutey does not.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Packfntk wrote:
03 Nov 2020 12:39
Gutey doesn't want to spend a 2nd on a rental. I don't think they are looking at Fuller as an extension candidate.
RIP JustJeff

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Packfntk wrote:
Gute was a finalist for the GM job in Houston before the Packers snatched him during his dinner with the Texans owner(s)
So they know each other
IT. IS. TIME

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
03 Nov 2020 12:43
Packfntk wrote:
Gutey doesn't want to spend a 2nd on a rental. I don't think they are looking at Fuller as an extension candidate.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
03 Nov 2020 12:37
Fuller transforms the offense. It would be hard for teams to stack the box with that speed over top and Adams working everything underneath.

That said if this deal were to get done anything more than a 4th is lunacy. You have to consider that Fuller is gone in FA. We can’t afford him. So you figure he leave in the offseason and if you don’t sign any FAs you get maybe a compensatory 4th although I think more likely it’s probably a 5th. So you’re trading a late 2021 pick for an even later 2022 pick.

If you trade a 3rd for him I don’t think that’s worth it.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BSA wrote:
03 Nov 2020 12:44
Packfntk wrote:
Gute was a finalist for the GM job in Houston before the Packers snatched him during his dinner with the Texans owner(s)
So they know each other
Should have let them have him.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

paco wrote:
03 Nov 2020 12:43
I don't think they are looking at Fuller as an extension candidate.
the only way it makes sense is if Fuller and his agent are concerned about 2021 cap space issues due to COVID and accepted a 1 yr extension, hitting FA in 2022. There's a lot of uncertainty about 2021, so maybe Fuller takes the bird in the hand
IT. IS. TIME