Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
11 Aug 2022 01:36
lupedafiasco wrote:
10 Aug 2022 21:47
Both the Buccs and Rams felt they needed that one piece on offense, signed a FA WR, and both scored TDs in the Super Bowl to help their team win a SB.

Meanwhile Packers fans rationalize trading up for an awful QB.
There were some, but not many that liked the Love pick (especially trading up).
never bought in for a second that we couldn't have moved up further for Jefferson, or ayiok, Gute and Rodgers where butting heads back then and Gute showed Rodgers who was the boss, I'am pulling for LOve to be worth that decision, but it never made any sense to me at the time.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

wallyuwl wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
Both the Buccs and Rams felt they needed that one piece on offense, signed a FA WR, and both scored TDs in the Super Bowl to help their team win a SB.

This.

There's a difference between liking it, rationalizing it, and just simply accepting it. Most of us whined for a bit and then accepted it.

But I'm hesitant to even post this because we don't need to ride around this circle any more than we already have.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Aug 2022 22:24
Do you think it was the WR additions, or adding Stafford and Brady that put them over the top?
I think 2 years in a row you have an arms race leading into the playoffs between teams that thought they were close and the team that stacked weapons won.

Like I posted in my original post you can either run the course with what you should know is a weakness and hope it miraculously changes cone playoffs or you can do something about it.

Position is irrelevant. It’s the mindset of a winner.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

image.png
image.png (52.87 KiB) Viewed 506 times
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Aug 2022 12:21
Like I posted in my original post you can either run the course with what you should know is a weakness and hope it miraculously changes cone playoffs or you can do something about it.

Ok, so what about the teams who have that mentality but failed? The Saints have had it for years. The Titans went big and added Julio. The Browns a couple years back made the playoffs and went all in.

Several teams have tried to do the "swing big to improve a weakness." It worked for the Rams (after doing it for 5 years) and the Bucs the years they got their QBs--Stafford and Brady.

"Position doesn't matter" is the dumbest thing you've ever said on this board. Those teams won the Super Bowl because they were good teams who needed an answer at QB and they went and found it. Not because they signed Antonio Brown and Odell Beckham.

You can't only look at success stories and say "see? It works!" The hit rate isn't any better for this method than it is for any other method. The only thing that continually bumps the odds is having an elite QB playing on a way-below-market contract. Stafford cost the Rams like $20 M last year and none before that--no accounting gimmicks. Brady cost the Bucs $12M against the cap. We had to restructure Rodgers to get his hit down from the 40s to the high 20s.

We can go around and round again on this, but your stupid "it's a mentality" thing completely ignores the number of teams who tried to use that arms race winners' mentality for years and never succeeded. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But when the two-year sample size you choose also includes teams that added Brady and Stafford, you can bet I'm gonna call out how obvious it is that the QBs are the issue here, not the random spending sprees that countless teams engage in annually and fall flat.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I didn’t mean position is irrelevant as in QB doesn’t matter. I am talking about the quote itself. You can sit there and hope your weakness improves by the grace of god or you can get up and $%@# do something about it.

This team sits in its hands way too often but as I’ve said for year. This management team is ok with just being good enough and not the best.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Aug 2022 12:21
YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Aug 2022 22:24
Do you think it was the WR additions, or adding Stafford and Brady that put them over the top?
I think 2 years in a row you have an arms race leading into the playoffs between teams that thought they were close and the team that stacked weapons won.

You could say 3 years in a row. Chiefs weren’t satisfied with their team in 2019 and added Frank Clark and honey badger en route to their Súper bowl.

You have to remember, many fans also own “stock” in the packers so they feel like “owners” and this makes them afraid to criticize or be honest about the team they feel apart of.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Yoop wrote:
11 Aug 2022 06:27
wallyuwl wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

never bought in for a second that we couldn't have moved up further for Jefferson, or ayiok, Gute and Rodgers where butting heads back then and Gute showed Rodgers who was the boss, I'am pulling for LOve to be worth that decision, but it never made any sense to me at the time.
Well stated.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Why do other team's free agent signings count, but the Packers' free agent signings do not?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Aug 2022 19:49
Why do other team's free agent signings count, but the Packers' free agent signings do not?
I mean sure we could have traded for stephon Gilmore to have the mindset of a winner. But was there a bigger mid season signing than Rasul? Maybe OBJ, maybe a push there.

Although i have been adamant we win the super bowl if we did get OBJ. However short of breaking the bank with money we didn’t have, he seemed to be totally set on LA.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
11 Aug 2022 19:55
Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Aug 2022 19:49
I mean sure we could have traded for stephon Gilmore to have the mindset of a winner. But was there a bigger mid season signing than Rasul? Maybe OBJ, maybe a push there.

Although i have been adamant we win the super bowl if we did get OBJ. However short of breaking the bank with money we didn’t have, he seemed to be totally set on LA.
Thankfully we didn't sign Gilmore. He was definitely not worth it last year.

I believe it was reported, with the likely to be earned incentives, the Packers did not have the cap space to sign OBJ.

Like honestly, why isn't a guy like Campbell an example of doing all we can to get better?
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 11 Aug 2022 23:45, edited 2 times in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Captain_Ben wrote:
11 Aug 2022 18:08
Yoop wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

Well stated.
Yoop is the forums Big Papi of baseball. The classic swing for the fences hitter. Lots of strike outs, tons...but wow he hits some upper deck bombs. Lets face facts, Yoop hits bombs.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Aug 2022 20:22
Captain_Ben wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Well stated.
Yoop is the forums Big Papi of baseball. The classic swing for the fences hitter. Lots of strike outs, tons...but wow he hits some upper deck bombs. Lets face facts, Yoop hits bombs.
If Yoop is Big Papi ............ then what are rest of these characters? Starting with Go Pak, 23, Yoho, APB, Sal, Pugger, Skeptic, Lupe, Half Empty, Ringo, DrJ, BF, Captain, Wally, Tex, CrazyLegs, Paco, SeaDragon, Raptor, NCF, Labrev, Bud, Bogey, Lu, etc. :dunno:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Well stated.
Yoop jas come a long way. I remember 2010 yoop.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Aug 2022 17:11
You have to remember, many fans also own “stock” in the packers so they feel like “owners” and this makes them afraid to criticize or be honest about the team they feel apart of.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Well stated.
well I know one thing I'am not, and that is gullible enough to listen to Guty say he couldn't find a trade partner, he had no trouble finding one when he traded around and took Alexander or Savage or one to move up for Love.

the pissing match with Rodgers started as soon as he became GM, I doubt he had any intentions of moving up for a receiver in that draft, he still wanted Rodgers to make receivers out of the guys he drafted in 2018.

his last receiver taken this year ( Toure) already looks better then all 3 of those guys, the consolation is that he seems to have improved scouting WR talent, at least this years group has made it appear that way.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Aug 2022 16:39
I didn’t mean position is irrelevant as in QB doesn’t matter. I am talking about the quote itself. You can sit there and hope your weakness improves by the grace of god or you can get up and $%@# do something about it.

This team sits in its hands way too often but as I’ve said for year. This management team is ok with just being good enough and not the best.
I think we used to but I don't see that much any longer.

If you look at the weaknesses the team had in 2018, they were aplenty.

Safety
Edge Rush
Inside Linebacker
Defensive Line
Running attack
Tight End
Cornerback

Our team sucked. It was plain as day our team sucked.

I give Gute a ton of credit of turnings weaknesses into strengths very quickly. I also give credit based on how he prioritized these weaknesses.

1. First he attacked the CB position by double dipping. One is an All pro and the other sucked.
2. Next he fired our Edge rushers and signed to FA's and drafted a high ceiling guy in 2019. All three ended up being great moves and this will be a long term strength.
3. Then he signs a safety to bring stability and drafts an uber athlete to cover half the field. One worked out brilliantly and the other is decent.
4. Then he doubles down on CB again to make it a decent position into absolute strength.

After all this on defense, he finally addresses the lesser positions of ILB and DL and appears to be building a better defense than what the Bucs had in 2020.

On offense, he brings in a new coach with a new philosophy. They focus on running the ball and making players open through design rather than winning one on ones. He also signed FA's on the Oline constantly ensuring we don't have a major weakness there. He did overpay but he didn't want huge weaknesses if he could avoid it.

The one spot he did ignore was WR but he did go after Allen Robinson. He did sign Graham and after everything else got taken care of, he did finally pull the trigger on WR. He also drafted bigger offensive players like Dillon and Deguara and the coaching philosophy changed to "big football" which should do better in the winter.

I think the Packers have been incredibly aggressive in developing strengths and even more aggressive in addressing weaknesses. Not everything can be taken care of at once but I think the current regime has done much more about "not ignoring" a position compared to prior days where we didn't address Safety or ILB for a decade.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Zach Wilson comes up limping after trying to cut and slide in the open field. Doesn't look good for him.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
12 Aug 2022 19:35
Zach Wilson comes up limping after trying to cut and slide in the open field. Doesn't look good for him.
Haven't seen the play but knee injuries while cutting are 80%+ ACL.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Im gonna laugh very hard when Mitch biscuit becomes very good for the Steelers after nagy tried to ruin the young chap