Buccaneers @ Packers - NFCC Playoff GDT - 1/24 - 2:05 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Jan 2021 04:46
salmar80 wrote:
25 Jan 2021 04:18
German_Panzer wrote:
25 Jan 2021 03:51
I could see Rodgers deepthinking his situation. Love/SB/faithfulness will be the key points. It very much depends what he wants his legacy to be and what he thinks MLF & Gute are really up to. There needs to be some honest talk ASAP. If he wants to chase the GOAT and still make 3+ titles he needs to push for NE or 49ers or whatever team he likes. If he wants to be remembered as a faithful Packer he needs to make sure that he can still play 4 years without Love interfering.

If I was in #12's shoes I'd go to better equipped teams and chase titles. The NFL is a mercenary business and we see with Favre how honorless fans/franchises are; they let him have his #4 retired despite treason (= the Vikings move), so not much benefit of staying faithful. I also think that drafting Love at #1 signals Gute/MLF not thinking that Rodgers is able to carry this team for more than 1-2 years (it only matters here what they think, not what is the reality), so his next crisis might see him benched and from there it can go downhill.

So in short: I see a real chance of 30% that Rodgers does not come back.
I think your grass is greener on other teams -thinking is on a whole another level. :messedup: NE and 49ers combined to have as many wins as us in the regular season, both missed the playoffs. The Green Bay Packers LITERALLY gave AR the best shot at getting to the SB this season. He's in a well-working, exciting scheme with a young offensive-minded HC with a phenomenal 28-8 record as HC.

AR will go home and deepthink this for the duration of a whiskey and a cigar, and then he's back to chasing SBs as our QB.

The real discussion will be how we extend/restructure his contract to bring his 2021 cap hit down. We will have some roster turnover, as always, but there are plenty of ways to get cap space to seek reinforcements in an offseason where there may be actual bargains available.
You can’t say they gave Rodgers his best shot when they took a QB with the first pick. You just can’t.

You also can’t get Rodgers to restructure. If I was him I’d tell the team to go to hell and to pay me my money. If they want to get a guy to replace me why should I be looking to help a team that doesn’t have the best interest for my future?
Yes I can. Despite that pick, Gutey built a Packers roster that offered AR the best chance at the SB. But I do understand I'm in a minority with this.

Restructuring doesn't mean paying less, it means paying sooner. An extension would mean even more guaranteed money. Both routes would make trading him in 2022 harder, giving him more security.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
24 Jan 2021 23:04
Trade Rodgers? No way. Although you sort of do need a QB who can scramble for the playoffs. Had he scrambled when we got near the goal line instead of throwing to Davante, different game entirely. But I was hoping to draft a QB going into the 2020 draft, not to actually replace Rodgers, but to light a fire under him. Mission accomplished. No part of me actually wants to move on from him. As far as I'm concerned, we spent a 1st on 4 years of peak Rodgers.

This team seems like the same old playoff chokers as we were under MM, but I just have to think MLF won't stand for that like MM did. And the first thing he should do is fire Pettine. We've seen this already with Dom, and I think part of the complacency that became our identity stems from MM absolutely refusing to hold anyone accountable. So even if you think Pettine has done an acceptable job, which I guess he has, what happened today was not acceptable and someone needs to be held accountable. So fire Pettine, absolutely do not bring King back (even if I think he's probably a slightly above average #2 CB), and bring in Wade Phillips, who always seems to field #1 defenses.

We also could really use a top ILB or another DL. I think we're pretty much forced to cut Preston Smith (and honestly some have mentioned Zadarius, which I would try hard not to do but this cap is going to be unforgiving). I would love to keep Jones, and maybe after today his price will be cheaper, but it's just a fact you don't overpay for RB, so maybe if we could figure out a way to give him a 2-year deal that could work, if we could fit him in under the cap somehow. But if he leaves, I have to assume MLF is trying to build a RB corps like Shanahan's, and if that's the case, the individual RBs shouldn't really matter that much.
you keep spouting this crap that drafting Love in some way helped Rodgers, what Rodgers and our offense needed last night other then better blocking from the OL was a receiver that could get open quick, besides Devonte, who was bracketed the whole game, we had none.

15 freaking years and he's not had a first round pick at WR to work with, and all the other 2nd rounders have retired other then Adams., and for all this time Rodgers has carried this team, from the sound of his post game comments he's tired of it

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Guys (and ladies),

Please take this as a loving rebuke or a gentle encouragement, whichever works best for you.

If I hear one more person talk about how the Green Bay Packers are destined to not be as good next year, I'm gonna hurl. I understand that is a natural reaction to a heart-breaking loss. We all feel it. Some of us even lost sleep last night about it.

But I'm looking at two consecutive seasons of 13-3 with marked improvement in a number of ways. And I'm thinking this Packer squad will be BETTER next year than this year. And that's even if we lose Linsely, Aaron Jones, and three other starters.

Guty and MLF have already made a great record for two seasons that shows that they are making good decisions regarding staff, player personnel, and tactics. The 26 wins and two NFCCG appearances did not happen by accident. This team deserved it.

Unless a crazy amount of injuries occurs next season, I'm calling for a BETTER team. And Aaron Rogers will be at least as good as he was this year.

So there. I said it. Please continue with the regularly scheduled lamenting. We'll all cheer again soon enough!
I love Packer Nation!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Jan 2021 04:46
You can’t say they gave Rodgers his best shot when they took a QB with the first pick. You just can’t.

You also can’t get Rodgers to restructure. If I was him I’d tell the team to go to hell and to pay me my money. If they want to get a guy to replace me why should I be looking to help a team that doesn’t have the best interest for my future?
That's an Home Run against our Fin! :) With drafting Love they gave away to pick a difference maker for this or at least next season and such one was missing last night. It was a clear signal against Rodgers. It's like if you tell your 40y. old dating partner that from now on you also date a 20y. old. Any sane 40y. old will connect the dots. Therefore I also doubt - as lupedafiasco - that Rodgers wants to sacrifice money. Without the Love pick he'd probably do it.

Still I think the chances of Rodgers playing at least one more year with us are significantly higher than vice versa. He's still relatively young and of course he's smart, so he knows that a new team also always means new challenges and risks. Also - and here I agree with Salmar - does he know that the Packers have all the ingredients to be successful next year as well. If he plays next season like he played this one I can see him stay and Love get traded.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Jan 2021 06:15
If I hear one more person talk about how the Green Bay Packers are destined to not be as good next year, I'm gonna hurl.
I agree with you. We have all the ingredients plus maybe a good draft and some drafties from last season beginning to shine. I think the bitching point is that it won't be that easy anymore. This year we didn't have something like the 2012 Giants, 2013 49ers or 2019 49ers in our conference. We had a relatively easy path to SB and if we played normal we'd have won against ol' Tom and his gang. (That said I doubt that we'd have won against KC though, imagine King vs. Hill :messedup: ).

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Look I know this is the annual, "time for lupe and budfox to complain about the front office and how this team doesn't have any talent after a title game loss" but I really want that to be spared this year. I know this hurts. I mean I am down guys. Like I am really...really down. B*tching about the front office is a way for guys like yoop, lupe, and budfox to cope with the pain. I get it. But that narrative just is not true this year.

We did not lose this game because of lack of talent. I don't think we even lost this game due to poor coaching or poor scheme and that is why this one hurts so much. Our usual scapegoats. Our usual "reasons" of why we lost and why the Packers are inadequate just don't exist here.

Literally everything I said we needed to we did a great of job for the exception of one thing and that ultimately isn't even my reason for losing.

I said we needed to win the turnover battle. CHECK
I said we needed to stop them in the redzone. They were 1 for 1.
We said we needed to force Brady to not dink and dunk and put them in 3rd and long. CHECK.
We said the most important player to show up on defense would be Kenny Clark. CHECK.

On offense, we needed to at least be effective at running the ball. CHECK.
We said one of either Rodgers, Jones or Adams needed a big game. Rodgers checked that box.

I mean we had em where we wanted them. We forced them to 3rd and 7+ MULTIPLE times. We ran the ball well. We drove on them well enough to get into the redzone/endzone 5 times. We did everything we were supposed to do.

We didn't lose the game due to lack of talent. We didn't lose the game because of poor coaching or scheme. We beat them. We were the superior team. We forced Brady to throw punter balls all game.

9 out of 10 times Godwin does not come up with that ball.
19 out of 20 times Adams catches that ball in the endzone.
9 out of 10 times even Will Redmond intercepts that floater.
And I am not one to complain about the refs but damnit you can't let them play but then not let us play on a ball that is not catchable on the decision that decides a game.

If those 4 plays above go the way the normally go, we win this game 31 to 17. If those plays above go the way they normally woul we are raving how our defense picked Brady 4 times and the only reason the Bucs scored was a prayer on a 3rd and long on their first drive and a fumble by Jones.

I'm mad. I'm really, really mad. I'm sad. I'm really, really sad. I'm pissed because this a$$hole Brady always gets things to go his way. These things are supposed to be hard and yet it is just never hard for him. I don't know what he did to get the karma he has but it is really, really frustrating.

My outlook for Rodgers and the Packers getting a ring now is a lot lower because this was our year. This was our shot. It's low because if we couldn't do it this year....when will we be able to? This game does suck because you, as an organization, can do all the right things but then have a sh*thole organization and group and players decide to "give it a shot" and 4/5 unlikely plays go their way and they set history by hosting the Super Bowl.

I lost a lot of respect for the game I love. It just feels incredibly unjust.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
24 Jan 2021 22:48
Yoop wrote:
24 Jan 2021 22:37
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
24 Jan 2021 20:44
If Rodgers wants out of GB trade him to the Texans for Watson.

I was a GB fan before AR and will be when Rodgers is gone.

Yeah, the team &%$@ the bed today. Rodgers played well but isn't blameless in the loss. There is enough blame to go around.
time to peddle Rodgers, but we've already got our future QB, we chose Rodgers successor rather then get help for Rodgers, peddle him for the draft picks, time for a over haul, might as well get on with it.
You've looked at the salary cap numbers, right?
heat of the moment comment Paco, I don't see any way the Packers would trade Rodgers this off season,( 31m dead cap) however they almost have to do something after next season when they have to pay Love.

As the Green Bay Packers’ first-round pick, Jordan Love will receive the standard four-year contract with a fifth-year team option. That fifth-year option must be triggered after his third season, or after the 2022 season. That option isn’t cheap. For reference, in 2019, Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota played under fifth-year options worth $20.9 million – the average of the league’s 10 highest-paid quarterbacks.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/rod ... wo-seasons

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jan 2021 06:37
We did not lose this game because of lack of talent. I don't think we even lost this game due to poor coaching or poor scheme and that is why this one hurts so much. Our usual scapegoats. Our usual "reasons" of why we lost and why the Packers are inadequate just don't exist here.
sure we did, or at least the talent didn't play well enough, we could not get pressure on Brady fast enough to support our pass coverage, and our receivers could not get open fast enough to stall there pass rush, none of all your other if this, or if that matters, we all new if we didn't get the aforementioned stuff done it would be tougher to win.

your all upset even after I tried to point this out to you for months now, you laughed at me, your pissed off, how do you think a old man like me feels, you have years and years of hope to see another SB, I don't have that luxury.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

This is going to be Gute and Matt's most challenging offseason. We are tight on cap resources and will have a lot of hoes. We also likely will have a lot of changes that need to be made.

Players who are gone: Lowry, Preston Smith, Kirksey are all gone as cap casualties. We need to save money and these players are easy savings with limited upside of keeping them.

Player who will walk: Kevin King. He cost the entire team a chance at the SB. It's one thing to screw up once or twice. But he got torched at least 5 times (Brady threw some bad balls).

Try and Resign: I think we can get either 1 of Linsley or Jones. Either one honestly would be a good signing.

I think we also need to move on from Pettine and Menninga. You could tell Matt LeFluer was PISSED about the defensive call with 8 seconds to go. I mean it was bad. How you don't have both safeties playing over top is beyond insane and honestly he just didn't reap the talent out this roster that he should have. If MLF is a cutting edge coach....he needs to find his cutting edge D Coordinator. I'm sure his buddy Saleh knows someone.

As far as holes: We will a playmaker on offense regardless. The caliber of playmaker gets less important if we keep Jones but we still need a playmaker. We are one short. We also need a CB2, ILB and big defensive lineman.

Honestly it's a lot changes that need to happen or get filled. Best of luck to Matt and Gute to do it.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Jan 2021 07:11
go pak go wrote:
sure we did, or at least the talent didn't play well enough, we could not get pressure on Brady fast enough to support our pass coverage, and our receivers could not get open fast enough to stall there pass rush, none of all your other if this, or if that matters, we all new if we didn't get the aforementioned stuff done it would be tougher to win.

your all upset even after I tried to point this out to you for months now, you laughed at me, your pissed off, how do you think a old man like me feels, you have years and years of hope to see another SB, I don't have that luxury.
Spare it. Not this week.

We do need another playmaker this offseason and we can talk about that in the future. But I'm not going to read or listen about "separation" or any of that bullsh*t this week that had no impact on the game. Adams catches the TD we aren't talking about this. Kevin King and Will Redmond aren't a complete colassal failure we aren't talking about this.

Nope. Not hearing that stuff this week.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

But yes I agree. We really should look at the WR position and upgrade there. We have an All Pro. We have MVS who gives us reason to be excited and we have Lazard who is a good possessional WR who can bock. So we have 3 players who are justified players to take a roster spot.

That gives us two roster spots that can be filled. I'm totally fine moving on from Q. He just hasn't done enough to show he isn't a JAG and his drops have cost us potentially two games this year and Taylor is absolutely replaceable. I think the patented 2nd round WR is absolutely in store this year.

Where we are going to have trouble is we also need a CB2, DL2 (to take over Dean/Lancaster) and an ILB. So we have quite a bit of holes to address before even looking at Center and RB1/RB2.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jan 2021 07:17
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Spare it. Not this week.

We do need another playmaker this offseason and we can talk about that in the future. But I'm not going to read or listen about "separation" or any of that bullsh*t this week that had no impact on the game. Adams catches the TD we aren't talking about this. Kevin King and Will Redmond aren't a complete colassal failure we aren't talking about this.

you don't want to deal with reality, Brady had all day to throw the ball, and Rodgers didn't, receivers drop balls, and do so in every game, you over come issues like that by having more receivers that are able to get open so the QB has a chance to throw them the balls.

SPARE ME YOUR BROKEN HEART, if ya don't want to hear the truth then log out.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Yoop wrote:
25 Jan 2021 06:59
paco wrote:
24 Jan 2021 22:48
Yoop wrote:
24 Jan 2021 22:37

time to peddle Rodgers, but we've already got our future QB, we chose Rodgers successor rather then get help for Rodgers, peddle him for the draft picks, time for a over haul, might as well get on with it.
You've looked at the salary cap numbers, right?
heat of the moment comment Paco, I don't see any way the Packers would trade Rodgers this off season,( 31m dead cap) however they almost have to do something after next season when they have to pay Love.

As the Green Bay Packers’ first-round pick, Jordan Love will receive the standard four-year contract with a fifth-year team option. That fifth-year option must be triggered after his third season, or after the 2022 season. That option isn’t cheap. For reference, in 2019, Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota played under fifth-year options worth $20.9 million – the average of the league’s 10 highest-paid quarterbacks.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/rod ... wo-seasons
The 5th year option changed with the new CBA. Since he is probably not getting any snaps in the near future he'd be at level one which is the 4th year average salary of the 3-25 highest paid QBs. Whatever that is going to be. Love's 4th year salary is 2.3 million. If other teams do the same structure for their QBs they could really make the 5 year option cheap. But since he hasn't been active at all I wouldn't worry about what to do with him until he actually plays a snap.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jan 2021 07:29
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

But yes I agree. We really should look at the WR position and upgrade there. We have an All Pro. We have MVS who gives us reason to be excited and we have Lazard who is a good possessional WR who can bock. So we have 3 players who are justified players to take a roster spot.

That gives us two roster spots that can be filled. I'm totally fine moving on from Q. He just hasn't done enough to show he isn't a JAG and his drops have cost us potentially two games this year and Taylor is absolutely replaceable. I think the patented 2nd round WR is absolutely in store this year.

Where we are going to have trouble is we also need a CB2, DL2 (to take over Dean/Lancaster) and an ILB. So we have quite a bit of holes to address before even looking at Center and RB1/RB2.
well thanks for at least being reasonable, Lazard, Brown, Taylor and even scantling are fine as #3 or 4 receiver options, we absolutely could have benefited yesterday have a quality slot receiver, and we do need improvement on the OL, DL and still ILB.

of course we can point to our mistakes, thing is players screw up in every game, I'am far more concerned with root issues, blocking, tackling, pass protection and the ability of receivers to get open fast, our innability to do those things is what imho cost us the game.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

texas wrote:
24 Jan 2021 23:04
Trade Rodgers? No way. Although you sort of do need a QB who can scramble for the playoffs. Had he scrambled when we got near the goal line instead of throwing to Davante, different game entirely. But I was hoping to draft a QB going into the 2020 draft, not to actually replace Rodgers, but to light a fire under him. Mission accomplished. No part of me actually wants to move on from him. As far as I'm concerned, we spent a 1st on 4 years of peak Rodgers.

This team seems like the same old playoff chokers as we were under MM, but I just have to think MLF won't stand for that like MM did. And the first thing he should do is fire Pettine. We've seen this already with Dom, and I think part of the complacency that became our identity stems from MM absolutely refusing to hold anyone accountable. So even if you think Pettine has done an acceptable job, which I guess he has, what happened today was not acceptable and someone needs to be held accountable. So fire Pettine, absolutely do not bring King back (even if I think he's probably a slightly above average #2 CB), and bring in Wade Phillips, who always seems to field #1 defenses.

We also could really use a top ILB or another DL. I think we're pretty much forced to cut Preston Smith (and honestly some have mentioned Zadarius, which I would try hard not to do but this cap is going to be unforgiving). I would love to keep Jones, and maybe after today his price will be cheaper, but it's just a fact you don't overpay for RB, so maybe if we could figure out a way to give him a 2-year deal that could work, if we could fit him in under the cap somehow. But if he leaves, I have to assume MLF is trying to build a RB corps like Shanahan's, and if that's the case, the individual RBs shouldn't really matter that much.
How big of a cap hit is Preston? He is fine rushing the passer. He struggled when that stupid Pettine had him covering TEs.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

texas wrote:
24 Jan 2021 23:46
Also it was painfully obvious what the GOAT thought of our roster. He repeatedly targeted Chandon Sullivan and Kevin King so that tells us that they are the weak spots.
We missed Raven Greene back there.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Jan 2021 07:29
go pak go wrote:
25 Jan 2021 07:17
Yoop wrote:

Spare it. Not this week.

you don't want to deal with reality, Brady had all day to throw the ball, and Rodgers didn't, receivers drop balls, and do so in every game, you over come issues like that by having more receivers that are able to get open so the QB has a chance to throw them the balls.

SPARE ME YOUR BROKEN HEART, if ya don't want to hear the truth then log out.
Brady had an INT because Godwin couldn't catch it.

Brady and WRs didn't get open. That's why they were in 3rd and long so much. They had 4 plays. 4 unlikely plays. Brady and his offense yesterday was like Rodgers in Arizona in 2015. Sure the long ball is cool and fun. But it's a novelty and hardly ever works.

The Packers did not lose yesterday because they did not have another WR. What they had yesterday was plenty fine.

The only thing from an ordinary play standpoint I can get on board with was I think we really missed Bak yesterday.

Our offense was more than fine. Adams dropped a ball. Q dropped a ball. The refs blew two calls of holding/PI on Lazard and Jones fumbled it. There is 20 points right there.

Kevin King was an absolute moron on two plays. Will Redmond drops the easiest INT of his life. That is 14 points right there.

The Packers played better. We are just literally talking 4 to 6 plays that were uncommon outcomes. But it had nothing to do with route running or WR separation. Yeah my heart hurts. But that has nothing to do with your narrative which is trashing on WR2 - WR4. Only WR4 let us down yesterday with one drop....which albiet was a huge drop and likely cost him a job.
Last edited by go pak go on 25 Jan 2021 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Jan 2021 01:00
texas wrote:
Also it was painfully obvious what the GOAT thought of our roster. He repeatedly targeted Chandon Sullivan and Kevin King so that tells us that they are the weak spots.
You cant expect him to target Jaire. So hes gonna go at the other guys. I thought Chadon did ok. I havent seen a Packers CB be that bad since Ahmad Carroll. Somehow King outsucked Dumbarious.
You gotta laugh or else you cry. :lol: :cry:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

German_Panzer wrote:
25 Jan 2021 03:51
I could see Rodgers deepthinking his situation. Love/SB/faithfulness will be the key points. It very much depends what he wants his legacy to be and what he thinks MLF & Gute are really up to. There needs to be some honest talk ASAP. If he wants to chase the GOAT and still make 3+ titles he needs to push for NE or 49ers or whatever team he likes. If he wants to be remembered as a faithful Packer he needs to make sure that he can still play 4 years without Love interfering.

If I was in #12's shoes I'd go to better equipped teams and chase titles. The NFL is a mercenary business and we see with Favre how honorless fans/franchises are; they let him have his #4 retired despite treason (= the Vikings move), so not much benefit of staying faithful. I also think that drafting Love at #1 signals Gute/MLF not thinking that Rodgers is able to carry this team for more than 1-2 years (it only matters here what they think, not what is the reality), so his next crisis might see him benched and from there it can go downhill.

So in short: I see a real chance of 30% that Rodgers does not come back.
The only way Rodgers is leaving is if we trade him. He can't pull a Favre and "retire" because Love is an unknown.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
25 Jan 2021 07:49
texas wrote:
We missed Raven Greene back there.
Pugger Green is a safety, we would not line him up on the edge, everyone calls for Press man, last night King showed ya why Pettine shy's away from press man, he was beaten on the first series for a TD, King does not transition well, tight hips.

Green I think is our best 3rd safety, I think he plays bigger then either of Amos or Savage and matches up better on TE's, in that sense yes we've missed Green.