General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
16 Aug 2021 07:46
The fact the Packers didn't suit up Lazard last Saturday should tell people he is a lock for this roster.
I don't know how that was ever a question.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
16 Aug 2021 09:13
go pak go wrote:
The fact the Packers didn't suit up Lazard last Saturday should tell people he is a lock for this roster.
It wasn't.

I don't remember anyone suggesting Lazard wouldn't make the team, I commented that he could be trade bait, and possibly bring a player at a position we could be thin at, there is a difference.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
16 Aug 2021 09:32
paco wrote:
go pak go wrote:
It wasn't.

I don't remember anyone suggesting Lazard wouldn't make the team, I commented that he could be trade bait, and possibly bring a player at a position we could be thin at, there is a difference.
That wasn't realistic either Yoop. You don't trade players like Lazard. He's good, he offers something no one else does in the WR room (his blocking ability), and he's cheap.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I think it would be fair to interpret some of my comments as suggestive that Lazard was something less than a lock.... not LIKELY to miss the team, but by suggesting that he was in competition with Funchess for a role, knowing Funchess was thought of as less than a lock, does through the transitive property imply that Lazard has an outside chance of missing the roster.

So I can own that I said something which would carry that perception and admit that based on how they handled the roster for preseason1, I appear to be incorrect.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Aug 2021 09:37
I think it would be fair to interpret some of my comments as suggestive that Lazard was something less than a lock.... not LIKELY to miss the team, but by suggesting that he was in competition with Funchess for a role, knowing Funchess was thought of as less than a lock, does through the transitive property imply that Lazard has an outside chance of missing the roster.

So I can own that I said something which would carry that perception and admit that based on how they handled the roster for preseason1, I appear to be incorrect.
It was not you. Pretty sure it was lupe that outright said that Funchess would make the roster and Lazard would not. fyi, that catch Funchess made was outstanding. Maybe he has fixed the problem with his hands. At any rate, he now looks like the best option for WR#6

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
go pak go wrote:
It's been circulated on this forum.
lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Aug 2021 09:06
I'm starting to think Lazard's roster spot is in jeopardy. Adams, Cobb, MVS, and Rodgers are all safe locks. I dont think you trade for Cobb to make Rodgers happy and cut him. Rodgers obviously a rookie. Adams obviously a god. MVS is the only guy on the team to legitimately stretch a D.

I'm not a Funchess supporter at all. I think he is a waste of height and talent who doesnt try hard to maximize his abilities. That said he does have god given, natural talent. Neither one can excel at STs. Lazard has some history on teams. Funchess has recently said hes willing to contribute.

I think the Packers carry 6 but only one of Funchess and Lazard make it and I think Lazard ends up the odd man out.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:
go pak go wrote:
It wasn't.

I think it is possible Lazard is a surprise cut.

I clarified that a few posts later in what was quoted above that I think he will make the roster but if I was to choose someone who may be cut that was seen as being safe it would be Lazard.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Aug 2021 10:36
Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:

It wasn't.

I clarified that a few posts later in what was quoted above that I think he will make the roster but if I was to choose someone who may be cut that was seen as being safe it would be Lazard.
Did Saturday shift your stance on Funchess at all?

What I do respect tremendously is you do own your statements and feelings. I thought a about you a lot when I saw #11 clearly being the best player on the field Saturday.

But I will admit we should take that performance with a grain of salt. I don't know how many starters of Houston was playing (my guess is far more than ours) but HOU is the worst team in the league.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:

It wasn't.

well that just can't be, he didn't suit up, so accordingly he is a lock to make the team, these are the rules formulated by the Packer news . net Peanut gallery :rotf:

Funchess showed more receiver ability in one PS game then Lazard has shown in 3 years, from memory of last year I'd rank Funchess our #3 or 4 right now

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Yoop wrote:
16 Aug 2021 11:18
lupedafiasco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

It wasn't.

well that just can't be, he didn't suit up, so accordingly he is a lock to make the team, these are the rules formulated by the Packer news . net Peanut gallery :rotf:

Funchess showed more receiver ability in one PS game then Lazard has shown in 3 years, from memory of last year I'd rank Funchess our #3 or 4 right now
Really? You take more from one preseason game than for two plus seasons of pretty solid regular and post season games? I'm really glad you are not the Packer's GM!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
16 Aug 2021 10:45
lupedafiasco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

It wasn't.

What I do respect tremendously is you do own your statements and feelings. I thought a about you a lot when I saw #11 clearly being the best player on the field Saturday.

But I will admit we should take that performance with a grain of salt. I don't know how many starters of Houston was playing (my guess is far more than ours) but HOU is the worst team in the league.
I do not like Funchess the person at all. I think hes a lazy turd burglar but he is talented. I get Jarrett Boykin vibes from Lazard. Hes just a big bodied jag who tries hard. When a receivers best attribute is his blocking, he isnt a good receiver.

Funchess has been a legitimate #2 receiver in a high powered offense with the Panthers. Lazard has barely been a #2 and even when Adams was out MVS was drawing the double teams. To me Lazard was the worst player on the offense in the NFCC costing the team 4 when he screwed up a pick play, 4 when he ducked a TD on the last drive, and got out muscled by a significantly smaller DB for a pick. Gotta be better.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Aug 2021 11:44
go pak go wrote:
16 Aug 2021 10:45
lupedafiasco wrote:

I do not like Funchess the person at all. I think hes a lazy turd burglar but he is talented. I get Jarrett Boykin vibes from Lazard. Hes just a big bodied jag who tries hard. When a receivers best attribute is his blocking, he isnt a good receiver.

Funchess has been a legitimate #2 receiver in a high powered offense with the Panthers. Lazard has barely been a #2 and even when Adams was out MVS was drawing the double teams. To me Lazard was the worst player on the offense in the NFCC costing the team 4 when he screwed up a pick play, 4 when he ducked a TD on the last drive, and got out muscled by a significantly smaller DB for a pick. Gotta be better.
Yeah Lazard is a try hard (slow) JAG that cant seperate well, but he does bring toughness and effort and fits pretty well in this offense. He is a lock to make the team, i now fully admit...but the further down the WR depth chart he goes...the better our WR room must be. If he is WR2, that says more about the talent in the WR room than it does Lazard.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

williewasgreat wrote:
16 Aug 2021 11:32
Yoop wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Really? You take more from one preseason game than for two plus seasons of pretty solid regular and post season games? I'm really glad you are not the Packer's GM!
when healthy Funchess has produced in one season what it has taken Lazard two season to match, I think Packers fans are real high on guys like Lazard and even MVS because after Adams there is not much to get excited about.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
16 Aug 2021 12:29
williewasgreat wrote:
Yoop wrote:

when healthy Funchess has produced in one season what it has taken Lazard two season to match, I think Packers fans are real high on guys like Lazard and even MVS because after Adams there is not much to get excited about.
Well for starters, Lazard has barely even had what you could qualify as a half season any of his years.

So I wouldn't make any assertions based on raw stats. But I also don't consider Lazard being a #2 or #3 WR for us this year. I believe his days as a "starter" are over.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
16 Aug 2021 12:34
Yoop wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:

Well for starters, Lazard has barely even had what you could qualify as a half season any of his years.

So I wouldn't make any assertions based on raw stats. But I also don't consider Lazard being a #2 or #3 WR for us this year. I believe his days as a "starter" are over.
another reason why I could care less if we bring him back, seriously, just because he didn't robe up the other night does not mean he is a lock for this team, that and the fact that he has to slow down to a walk to make a cut translates to not being Jarrod Loves best friend, Love needs separation artist, guys that get in and out of breaks quick, Lazard is the type of receiver that doesn't make a QB better, do you get what I'am talking about?

also the reason I'd like to see some young guys beat him out is that Lazard is do a contract, and I sure don't want to pay a guy I think is at his ceiling and a low one at that big money, I'd like to see some young talent take his place on the cheaper side for the next 4 years, as I said a GM should always be trying to improve his depth talent.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
16 Aug 2021 12:46
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

another reason why I could care less if we bring him back, seriously, just because he didn't robe up the other night does not mean he is a lock for this team, that and the fact that he has to slow down to a walk to make a cut translates to not being Jarrod Loves best friend, Love needs separation artist, guys that get in and out of breaks quick, Lazard is the type of receiver that doesn't make a QB better, do you get what I'am talking about?

also the reason I'd like to see some young guys beat him out is that Lazard is do a contract, and I sure don't want to pay a guy I think is at his ceiling and a low one at that big money, I'd like to see some young talent take his place on the cheaper side for the next 4 years, as I said a GM should always be trying to improve his depth talent.
I think you are wrong on everything in red and bold.

Also looks like you flipped your stance pretty quick on this topic. Lot different tune the 2nd post on this page.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
16 Aug 2021 12:51
Yoop wrote:
16 Aug 2021 12:46
go pak go wrote:

I think you are wrong on everything in bold.
sacks, hits, and hurries = TOTAL PRESSURES, I wasn't wrong about that, and don't think I'am about Lazard either.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
16 Aug 2021 13:01
sacks, hits, and hurries = TOTAL PRESSURES, I wasn't wrong about that
You weren't 100% correct, either. You said you can just add them up. You can't.

10 sacks, 10 hits and 10 hurries can equal 30 total pressures or all the way up to 40 total pressures. You need the half-sack breakdown to get to total pressures because 0.5 sacks = 1 pressure.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
16 Aug 2021 13:31
Yoop wrote:
16 Aug 2021 13:01
sacks, hits, and hurries = TOTAL PRESSURES, I wasn't wrong about that
You weren't 100% correct, either. You said you can just add them up. You can't.

10 sacks, 10 hits and 10 hurries can equal 30 total pressures or all the way up to 40 total pressures. You need the half-sack breakdown to get to total pressures because 0.5 sacks = 1 pressure.
We're doing this again? :messedup:

I think on Lazard, it is safe to say that the players who did not suit up week one and who are not injured (EQ, Winfree, for instance) are as close as you can get to roster locks. The team is evaluating the players who they need to make decisions on. If they are choosing to excuse you from that evaluation, that means the decision is as close to being made as it can be at this point.

I am totally fine with the 5 guys who sat out without injury purposes to be our WR group, and then add a 6th (Funchess now seems the most likely, but keep in mind that he did have to play in this game). I hope that we can retain a guy like Winfree who flashes because he could be a useful developmental and continuity piece moving forward into 2022.

Gutey does sound dead set on retaining Adams, which would likely mean no MVS, likely no Cobb, and Lazard back on a RFA tender. We'll need some youth and continuity there to fill out the roster, and the PS is the best place to go for that. Even if we lose Adams, then we're still going to need some of that. Also a high draft pick. I can't wait for "they never spent a first on a WR for Rodgers but did it immediately for Love" 2022.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Aug 2021 13:38
We're doing this again?
We say lots of things 5 times here. Just being thorough.

Read More. Post Less.