General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

The Lazard thing, to me, is beyond obvious that he is in the picture this year and he is in the picture next year because of team control. Furthermore, this #6 WR argument, I also find dumb, because look no further than last year by Week 3 we were down to 2 or 3 healthy bodies. Do we need Funchess as our #6 WR? No. Do I want a more established veteran ready to go when injuries hit so we are not in the same situation that we were last year when injuries invariably hit? Absolutely. When the drop-off due to ST is a Funchess to a Malik Taylor or whoever, then ST cannot always be the deciding factor in some of these decisions.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Cut down to 85 today.

First ones getting the boot: P Ryan Winslow and OL Jon Dietzen

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Just going to throw this out there, Funchess played so much on Saturday so the Packers could shop him...?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
16 Aug 2021 14:01
Cut down to 85 today.

First ones getting the boot: P Ryan Winslow and OL Jon Dietzen
JK GETS A FREE RIDE :mrgreen: :lol:

On that note, I didn't see who did which punts, but MLF did say that the punt placement issues last night had a lot to do with protection breakdowns impacting the kicks than the punters just missing.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
16 Aug 2021 13:31
Yoop wrote:
16 Aug 2021 13:01
sacks, hits, and hurries = TOTAL PRESSURES, I wasn't wrong about that
You weren't 100% correct, either. You said you can just add them up. You can't.

10 sacks, 10 hits and 10 hurries can equal 30 total pressures or all the way up to 40 total pressures. You need the half-sack breakdown to get to total pressures because 0.5 sacks = 1 pressure.
OK, I was confused with the way PFR tabulates the totals, I get it, a half sack equals 1 pressure, the same as a full sack, or a hit

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Aug 2021 14:03
Just going to throw this out there, Funchess played so much on Saturday so the Packers could shop him...?
Maybe the joint practices will land him a spot with the Jets, haha

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
There is that.

But then because he played SO well you gotta be like, "we can't let this guy play for another team"
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
16 Aug 2021 14:27
Pckfn23 wrote:
There is that.

But then because he played SO well you gotta be like, "we can't let this guy play for another team"
Ya, I totally get that thought process. I am not holding my breath that he will be healthy for 16 games and produce as a true #2 after being in the league for 6 years (7 if you count the COVID year).
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

no way I'd ever keep Lazard over Funchess and I doubt this staff would either except to save a buck, and this has nothing to do with Lazard the person, or Lazard the blocker, or any of that type stuff, simply put my name isn't Stevie Wonder, I have 20/35 vision, true not exactly perfect, but just good enough to see the diff. between these two receivers :lol:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
16 Aug 2021 12:46
go pak go wrote:
16 Aug 2021 12:34
Yoop wrote:
16 Aug 2021 12:29

when healthy Funchess has produced in one season what it has taken Lazard two season to match, I think Packers fans are real high on guys like Lazard and even MVS because after Adams there is not much to get excited about.
Well for starters, Lazard has barely even had what you could qualify as a half season any of his years.

So I wouldn't make any assertions based on raw stats. But I also don't consider Lazard being a #2 or #3 WR for us this year. I believe his days as a "starter" are over.
another reason why I could care less if we bring him back, seriously, just because he didn't robe up the other night does not mean he is a lock for this team, that and the fact that he has to slow down to a walk to make a cut translates to not being Jarrod Loves best friend, Love needs separation artist, guys that get in and out of breaks quick, Lazard is the type of receiver that doesn't make a QB better, do you get what I'am talking about?

also the reason I'd like to see some young guys beat him out is that Lazard is do a contract, and I sure don't want to pay a guy I think is at his ceiling and a low one at that big money, I'd like to see some young talent take his place on the cheaper side for the next 4 years, as I said a GM should always be trying to improve his depth talent.
I think Lazard didn’t suit up because we know what we have in him which is a mediocre receiver and good blocker.

Funchess we had no idea what he had to offer. Rodgers was a rookie. Malik Taylor we hadn’t seen much and need to see if he offers anything as a receiver because we know he’s the best on STs of the position.

I don’t see Lazard not suiting up making him an automatic lock although I do think chances are he stays in the team. Depends on their plan for STs. IMO Funchess is far superior to Lazard as a receiver.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Packers asked Funchess to take a paycut and he did. If they weren't planning on keeping him, they probably wouldn't have gone through that difficult process and he would have sought opportunities elsewhere. He certainly wasn't given any guarantee of a roster spot, but a guarantee of a fair chance to win a spot. Funchess bet on himself and there's very good chance he makes the team and makes a significant contribution in 2021.

Personally, I think many of you get too hung up on this #2 WR concept. MLF really doesn't look at it that way and he's said as much on several occasions. He wants a variety of player-types and sizes that allow him to mix and match by personnel groupings and to make his runs/passes all look the same to keep the defense guessing.

If you think about the intrinsic value of a TE - its that the defense doesn't know for certain if they are going out to catch a pass or staying in to block. That uncertainty is a big part of their value to an offense. In some ways, MLF has brought that same level of uncertainty to the WR position, by having them be such an integral part of the run game. A perfect example of this was vs the Rams- the DB was sitting on Lazard, expecting him to block , when instead Lazard ran right by him for a big play. MLF really knows how to use those guys to maximum effect and that's why Funchess chose GB and why GB chose Funchess.
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

IMO Funchess is far superior to Lazard as a receiver.
I adamantly disagree with this. This is a case of shiny new toy compared to injured player from last year not meeting expectations.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Aug 2021 15:46
I adamantly disagree with this. This is a case of shiny new toy compared to injured player from last year not meeting expectations.
Nah. Funchess is a super-high pedigree talent. Lazard is cerebral, big-bodied try-hard. The thing is, a lot of the knocks and excuses against Funchess, if you could pull those traits from Lazard, you'd have a hell of a WR. There just isn't anything, talent-wise, that Lazard brings that you can't easily find. It's why Funchess goes in Round 2 and Lazard is a UDFA. There is a God-given talent gap, but Lazard, to his credit, does all the little things he possibly can to minimize that gap.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
16 Aug 2021 16:24
Pckfn23 wrote:
Nah. Funchess is a super-high pedigree talent. Lazard is cerebral, big-bodied try-hard. The thing is, a lot of the knocks and excuses against Funchess, if you could pull those traits from Lazard, you'd have a hell of a WR. There just isn't anything, talent-wise, that Lazard brings that you can't easily find. It's why Funchess goes in Round 2 and Lazard is a UDFA. There is a God-given talent gap, but Lazard, to his credit, does all the little things he possibly can to minimize that gap.
That is all about potential. Funchess has played 6 seasons. His potential has been met, he is who he is. Lazard has played 3. We have potentially not seen him meet his potential. God-given talent only takes a player so far. While Lazard doesn't have anything "special," he doesn't haven't any glaring deficiencies.

Take a look at DaVante Adams. What physical traits does he possession that make him special and did he learn those or where they God Given?

Funchess within our 6 WRs to make the roster is fine with me. He had a good preseason game. Saying he is a far superior receiver isn't.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 16 Aug 2021 16:41, edited 2 times in total.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

from The Athletic

WR Devin Funchess:
Funchess was so hyped up when he came out of the tunnel before the game that you’d think it was the Super Bowl. He had just as much reason to be amped — he was playing in his first game since Week 1 of the 2019 season. After breaking his collarbone with the Colts and missing the rest of the ’19 season then opting out of last season because of COVID-19, Funchess certainly looked like he still belongs, posting team highs of six catches and 70 receiving yards. In fact, the highlights of the night might’ve come from Funchess, who corralled a slightly off-target pass from Jordan Love over the middle with one hand while falling to the ground for a gain of 15 yards. Five wide receivers are locks to make the 53-man roster — Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb and Amari Rodgers — and Funchess made a convincing first case for the sixth and likely final spot in the room with Juwann Winfree and Equanimeous St. Brown sidelined with injuries.
IT. IS. TIME

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Aug 2021 16:31
NCF wrote:
16 Aug 2021 16:24
Pckfn23 wrote:

That is all about potential. Funchess has played 6 seasons. His potential has been met, he is who he is. Lazard has played 3. We have potentially not seen him meet his potential. God-given talent only takes a player so far. While Lazard doesn't have anything "special," he doesn't haven't any glaring deficiencies.

Take a look at DaVante Adams. What physical traits does he possession that make him special and did he learn those or where they God Given?

Funchess within our 6 WRs to make the roster is fine with me. He had a good preseason game. Saying he is a far superior receiver isn't.
Surely you see how the ceiling was always higher for Adams than a guy like Lazard right? Adams, while not having elite straight line speed, is one of the quickest guys in the league in terms of getting off the LOS and getting into breaks.

Lazard is big and close to the opposite of twitchy and quick.

I don’t want to use hyperbole when I say this so i am trying to be close to factual...Adams is probably close to one million times more athletic than Allen Lazard.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Aug 2021 16:31
Funchess has played 6 seasons. His potential has been met, he is who he is.
Who is he ? :)
Is he the vet WR the Colts signed for $ 10 Million or is he the vet WR that some Packer fans don't think is good enough to make the 53 ?
I think that's part of why Gute gave him an extended look vs Houston, he wants to learn more. If he's "worth" $10 M, then he's a steal for what GB is paying him, ($1.8M) which translates to the 81st ranked WR by annual pay.
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Aug 2021 14:49
go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
There is that.

Ya, I totally get that thought process. I am not holding my breath that he will be healthy for 16 games and produce as a true #2 after being in the league for 6 years (7 if you count the COVID year).
And we don't need that right? Like we are sooo deep this year and that is awesome! We have a rich history of WRs getting hurt but this year, we can suffer 2 or even 3 injuries and feel confident going into the following week.

We wanted a deep roster at the WR position like the Bucs had last year.

Now we got it.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
16 Aug 2021 18:04
Pckfn23 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

There is that.

And we don't need that right? Like we are sooo deep this year and that is awesome! We have a rich history of WRs getting hurt but this year, we can suffer 2 or even 3 injuries and feel confident going into the following week.

Now we got it.
Do not compare this to the Buccs.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Aug 2021 18:28
go pak go wrote:
16 Aug 2021 18:04
Pckfn23 wrote:

Now we got it.
Do not compare this to the Buccs.
We are superior to the Bucs at every position on offense except right tackle, WR #2 and WR #3.
Yoop wrote: