Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2023 13:19
Labrev wrote:
09 Mar 2023 12:58
Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2023 12:21

Fans wont accept that :kaboom: , If Love wasn't ready to take this team to the PO's and beyond then dumping Rodgers was obviously a mistake, besides we are probably going to have to ea ea eat that 60 million mega bucks just to get rid of him :thwap:
WTF?? This is so dumb!!! :thwap: That's like saying it was a mistake to trade Favre and go with Rodgers, because he was an unknown and didn't take this team to the playoffs, and we would have gotten 2 sure-thing good years from Favre.

>'but u don't know Love will be Rodgers, ololo!"

Doesn't matter. It's still the same stupid logic.
ya know what was dumb, giving Rodgers a 120 mil. the off season of 2018 when he still had 2 years left on his existing contract, that was just as dumb as giving him 150 mil. last year at this time, yet no belly aching from fans at all in 2018 and not much last year, I think I was the only one to !@#$ a bitch about in 2018

no way I'd have done that either year, no way, and now I have to listen to belly achers like you now, you call me a Taliban and the rest of your vile BS when I've been the logical person through out all of this, specially so if we end up eating all the dead money anyway

again I only care about winning right now, I never cross bridges till I get to them, your so wrapped up in tomorrow you've pissed all over today, and if Love bust ( hope not) there will be a lot more changes a year or two from now, Murphy, Gute, Lafleur's jobs depend on Love

I bet you where one of the people that cheered when Ted made Rodgers the richest players in the NFL back in 2012, or whenever that was
Woah woah wait. Who here suggested that you were a member of the Taliban?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Jets have now said that it’s up to Rodgers. The details have been worked out.

I say that Guty has done well, on the condition that Rodgers is a Jet in the coming days. I hardly care what compensation the Packers get. (They only got a 4th for Favre.) I think it’ll probably be a 2nd and whatever they get for next year. But the 1st would mean that the Pack eat a LOT of Rodgers’ contract for 2023. That’s why expecting a 1st is probably unrealistic. Maybe a conditional 3rd next year that might become a 1st. But no 1st this year.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
09 Mar 2023 13:48

I say that Guty has done well, on the condition that Rodgers is a Jet in the coming days. I hardly care what compensation the Packers get. (They only got a 4th for Favre.) I think it’ll probably be a 2nd and whatever they get for next year. But the 1st would mean that the Pack eat a LOT of Rodgers’ contract for 2023. That’s why expecting a 1st is probably unrealistic. Maybe a conditional 3rd next year that might become a 1st. But no 1st this year.
Guty won't get a "job well done" grade simply because a player isn't on his team. That's too low of bar. I could do that.

What will be viewed as a job well done is Guty playing the cards close to his chest enough to make the Jets think we won't budge for nothing but also keep Rodgers and the Jets interested enough to make this deal happen. It's really tough to do. Yet it's supposed to be tough because of the position Gute put the Packers in on this situation to begin with.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
ya know what was dumb, giving Rodgers a 120 mil. the off season of 2018 when he still had 2 years left on his existing contract, that was just as dumb as giving him 150 mil. last year at this time,
I thought you didn't understand why people complain about his contract. So why was it dumb if the amount of money he gets doesn't matter?

and now I have to listen to belly achers like you now,
Good. I have to listen to his stans blowing smoke up my ass by denying facts and basic reality to cover for him.

Even where it makes no sense to from the standpoint of their own mindless Rodgers worship; e.g. rather than acknowledge Rodgers's bread and butter is off-script plays, they could easily point out that he is arguably the best to have ever done it with Houdini-like evasive ability and those highlight reel plays were worth it, instead they treat it like an insult, knee-jerk deny it, and then write fan-fiction about how Rodgers was actually a guy who preferred to throw darts from the pocket.

I consciously decided to bellyache even harder than I probably otherwise would have just to spite Rodgers stans.

again I only care about winning right now, I never cross bridges till I get to them, your so wrapped up in tomorrow you've pissed all over today, and if Love bust ( hope not) there will be a lot more changes a year or two from now, Murphy, Gute, Lafleur's jobs depend on Love
Yes, I am proactive, cool-headed, and (more importantly) visionary.... while you are short-sighted, high-strung, and reactive.

This is the real crux of our different opinions, not the ageist stuff about how :favre: "you damn kids just don't understand!"
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
09 Mar 2023 13:48

I am not worried about the compensation for him either. A 2nd would be fine by me. I want him off the books as we aren't winning it all with him in 2023 and beyond and we aren't winning it all with Love in 2023.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:04
Yoop wrote:
ya know what was dumb, giving Rodgers a 120 mil. the off season of 2018 when he still had 2 years left on his existing contract, that was just as dumb as giving him 150 mil. last year at this time,
I thought you didn't understand why people complain about his contract. So why was it dumb if the amount of money he gets doesn't matter?

and now I have to listen to belly achers like you now,
Good. I have to listen to his stans blowing smoke up my ass by denying facts and basic reality to cover for him.

Even where it makes no sense to from the standpoint of their own mindless Rodgers worship; e.g. rather than acknowledge Rodgers's bread and butter is off-script plays, they could easily point out that he is arguably the best to have ever done it with Houdini-like evasive ability and those highlight reel plays were worth it, instead they treat it like an insult, knee-jerk deny it, and then write fan-fiction about how Rodgers was actually a guy who preferred to throw darts from the pocket.

I consciously decided to bellyache even harder than I probably otherwise would have just to spite Rodgers stans.

Yes, I am proactive and (more importantly) visionary, while you are short-sighted and reactive; this is the crux of our different opinions.
wtf does stans mean, you talk in riddles.

where was your vision in 2018? thats when we should have traded Rodgers, instead we gave him shut up money and continued to dump money into a defense versus giving him some receiver talent, your not a visionary, every thing you spout depends on hind sight, and like others defend everything Guty does.

I can do it to, Drafting Love is why we are at these cross roads in the first place, giving Rodgers so much guaranteed money last year magnifies the problem, as does sitting Love another year, since 2017 it's been one mistake after another from this FO, and now we'll be eating the dead cap and probably getting a 2nd round pick for a QB that in all likelihood will take the Jets to the PO's, thats a lot more accurate description of not only hindsight but also our future.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I want him gone too, but not getting a 1 in a world where QBs get what they get is just massive mismanagement and a fumble of resources.

But anyways, where can I read where the jets and packers have agreed to terms? And everyone’s just waiting on 12
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:28
I am not worried about the compensation for him either. A 2nd would be fine by me. I want him off the books as we aren't winning it all with him in 2023 and beyond and we aren't winning it all with Love in 2023.
And what is your take on the view that Watson & Co. will be one season better and Rodgers still is a recent double MVP who might have had just a bad season with his thumb? Did u see something fundamental that makes you believe he‘s done skillwise?

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:38
I want him gone too, but not getting a 1 in a world where QBs get what they get is just massive mismanagement and a fumble of resources.
So lets say you are the GM of GB right now and the Jets do not give you a 1st. Do you cancel off the whole thing and take back eccentric Aaron that will be pi**ed at you? I guess I mean: when the Packers went this far, arent they bound to let the deal go thru?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

German_Panzer wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:40
And what is your take on the view that Watson & Co. will be one season better
Yes, they will be, but I don't expect them to become Pro Bowlers yet.
Rodgers still is a recent double MVP who might have had just a bad season with his thumb? Did u see something fundamental that makes you believe he‘s done skillwise?
Bracketed by 3 mediocre seasons. The thumb hindered, but there were issues with his game that had nothing to do with the thumb. Unless he reinvents himself, which I don't think he does in Green Bay, he will never be a top 5 QB again. He could be with another team as it will force that on him.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Well I for one AM concerned about compensation.

If there’s no first round pick, the past year has to be seen as catastrophic for the team’s future relative to what could have been.

Losing Davante. The Rodgers contact. The decline in compensation. Just big mistakes. All rewarded with our first losing season in quite some time.

Doesn’t mean I don’t have faith in the team/org or that I don’t understand and respect the complicated nature of these decisions. But I personally and many many people who are realistic, smart, informed football minds had this opinion in advance; not in hindsight. So it was a path that could have been taken.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

German_Panzer wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:43
Drj820 wrote:
So lets say you are the GM of GB right now and the Jets do not give you a 1st. Do you cancel off the whole thing and take back eccentric Aaron that will be pi**ed at you? I guess I mean: when the Packers went this far, arent they bound to let the deal go thru?
This is just waters for the big fish. Who is the shark, who is the minnow. As bad as we may be ready to part with Rodgers, the Jets are DESPERATE for a qb. Desperate for Rodgers. The fan base already thinks it’s happening. They believe!

Gutey must parlay that desperation into a 1. He must. If not, he got ate in the deep waters.

Here’s what I want:

Jets 13 overall and a 5 while we give Rodgers and a 3.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:47
Well I for one AM concerned about compensation.

If there’s no first round pick, the past year has to be seen as catastrophic for the team’s future relative to what could have been.

Losing Davante. The Rodgers contact. The decline in compensation. Just big mistakes. All rewarded with our first losing season in quite some time.

Doesn’t mean I don’t have faith in the team/org or that I don’t understand and respect the complicated nature of these decisions. But I personally and many many people who are realistic, smart, informed football minds had this opinion in advance; not in hindsight. So it was a path that could have been taken.
I think 2022 is already a mistake regardless of compensation for Rodgers. They tried to wind it back a 3rd time and it blew up. That was a mistake. The receiver situation was a mistake several years in the making and the solutions didn't pan out for 2022. Without Adams, Rodgers couldn't function at a high level. Both should have been dealt last offseason. 1 Year too late.

I view compensation for Rodgers as a separate issue. His cap situation only gets more complicated the longer he is on the team. Our chances a Super Bowl with him going forward are not good. You want to get something for him, but it isn't a deal breaker if it isn't a 1st in 2023. I wouldn't see that as a mistake. The only way it would be a mistake is if we could have gotten a 1st and didn't, which is something we will never know.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 09 Mar 2023 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:36
where was your vision in 2018? thats when we should have traded Rodgers, instead we gave him shut up money and continued to dump money into a defense versus giving him some receiver talent, your not a visionary, every thing you spout depends on hind sight, and like others defend everything Guty does.
Oh c'mon, have all of you forgotten already? I was *the guy* driving the anti-Mac bandwagon in 2018, much like today with Rodgers.

The vision back then was simple, get a new coach who will bring our offense to the modern day, and help Rodgers transition to a style of play that will age well, basically to get someone like LaFleur.

I forgot what my draft vision was, although I may be able to find my mocks on the old site, but I remember wanting us to beef up our Front Seven. Devin Bush was my #1 draft day target if memory servers, but I also had a mock draft with us taking Gary in Round 1 months before the draft.

BTW you didn't explain this:
Labrev wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:04
Yoop wrote:
:o
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

German_Panzer wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:40
Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:28
And what is your take on the view that Watson & Co. will be one season better and Rodgers still is a recent double MVP who might have had just a bad season with his thumb? Did u see something fundamental that makes you believe he‘s done skillwise?
I don't buy the thumb excuse because most of his issues were decision based. Also, if the thumb were truly an issue, you would have expected to see marked accuracy improvement prior to the injury and late in the season when they took away the wrapping...I didn't see any of that.

As for hoping the "sh*tty supporting cast markedly improves" argument...I was told last year that we had the worst receiving corps in league history and our offensive line was swiss cheese. If that is truly the case, 8 games of experience from Watson and another year removed from the surgery is a LOT to stake a bet on that this offense is going to explode in 2023 with largely the same players as 2022 (minus Rodgers's two most trusted WR weapons)

Yeah I'm ready to move on.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Nah. Rodgers compensation is not distracted from past mistakes. I know I could be veering toward a sunk cost fallacy, but the truth is that part of the job is fixing mistakes with shrewd moves moving forward.

And look, the packers have the asset. Yes they want to move on. But do you know how easy it us to present the jets with the alternatives?

You don’t want to give up a first to pay Rodgers $100 million over two years? You’re welcome to give up two 1sts for the right to pay Lamar Jackson $250 million 5 years. You’re welcome to go into the season with Jimmy G and sell your fan base on that.

We don’t have a cap induced deadline. We don’t have a bonus induced deadline. We can hold out until the draft and Rodgers can expand his talks with other potential suitors. The Jets can take that risk or not. We can take that risk or not.

But giving up an asset at a discount just to be done in a hurry? Not an acceptable outcome

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:49
German_Panzer wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:43
Drj820 wrote:
This is just waters for the big fish. Who is the shark, who is the minnow. As bad as we may be ready to part with Rodgers, the Jets are DESPERATE for a qb. Desperate for Rodgers. The fan base already thinks it’s happening. They believe!

Gutey must parlay that desperation into a 1. He must. If not, he got ate in the deep waters.

Here’s what I want:

Jets 13 overall and a 5 while we give Rodgers and a 3.

One might also add that the Jets' first-round pick is worthless to them when another good player, even one as good as Sauce or Quinnen, is not gonna do them much good without a viable starting QB.

At 13, they are not in good position to take the more pro-ready QB options in this draft. And they do not really having the luxury of time to sit a raw QB or to play them and go through a few seasons of growing pains, because the rest of the roster is ready to compete right now, and another couple losing seasons could cost the coach and/or GM their jobs. As for their owner, the jersey and ticket sales alone will make it well worth #13 overall, even if they miss the playoffs.

Lastly, Jets are not that great at drafting in the first place, least of all at the one position they absolutely need to fix: QB.
Last edited by Labrev on 09 Mar 2023 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Mar 2023 15:19
Nah. Rodgers compensation is not distracted from past mistakes. I know I could be veering toward a sunk cost fallacy, but the truth is that part of the job is fixing mistakes with shrewd moves moving forward.

And look, the packers have the asset. Yes they want to move on. But do you know how easy it us to present the jets with the alternatives?

You don’t want to give up a first to pay Rodgers $100 million over two years? You’re welcome to give up two 1sts for the right to pay Lamar Jackson $250 million 5 years. You’re welcome to go into the season with Jimmy G and sell your fan base on that.

We don’t have a cap induced deadline. We don’t have a bonus induced deadline. We can hold out until the draft and Rodgers can expand his talks with other potential suitors. The Jets can take that risk or not. We can take that risk or not.

But giving up an asset at a discount just to be done in a hurry? Not an acceptable outcome
I agree with this too. I would set reasonable demands from the Jets, what that is, could be 'Its pick 13 and its a conditional pick next year', we aren't asking for the farm, but that is reasonable and we will not budge, let us know when you finally agree to it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Mar 2023 15:19
There is no way we would ever know this happened or is happening. I think a 1st is likely, but again, I wouldn't be angry/depressed if it doesn't happen exactly like that. I also don't think the Jets are as desperate as they are made out to be.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 15:22
There is no way we would ever know this happened or is happening. I think a 1st is likely, but again, I wouldn't be angry/depressed if it doesn't happen exactly like that. I also don't think the Jets are as desperate as they are made out to be.
Their OWNER by all accounts wants Rodgers. Car was the fallback plan. Already gone. You think the GM and coach aren’t desperate to deliver? You think they don’t have a MANDATE to deliver? They absolutely do. Woody Johnson isn’t gonna get embarrassed standing in front of the press saying he will take extraordinary measures to acquire QB only to sign Jimmy G