General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
16 Aug 2021 18:04
Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Aug 2021 14:49
go pak go wrote:
16 Aug 2021 14:27

There is that.

But then because he played SO well you gotta be like, "we can't let this guy play for another team"
Ya, I totally get that thought process. I am not holding my breath that he will be healthy for 16 games and produce as a true #2 after being in the league for 6 years (7 if you count the COVID year).
And we don't need that right? Like we are sooo deep this year and that is awesome! We have a rich history of WRs getting hurt but this year, we can suffer 2 or even 3 injuries and feel confident going into the following week.
I don't know, I think I have been hearing for years how that is exactly what we need ;).
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
16 Aug 2021 18:39
lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Aug 2021 18:28
go pak go wrote:
16 Aug 2021 18:04

And we don't need that right? Like we are sooo deep this year and that is awesome! We have a rich history of WRs getting hurt but this year, we can suffer 2 or even 3 injuries and feel confident going into the following week.

We wanted a deep roster at the WR position like the Bucs had last year.

Now we got it.
Do not compare this to the Buccs.
We are superior to the Bucs at every position on offense except right tackle, WR #2 and WR #3.
Yeah but those WR2 and WR3 spots more than make up the gap. Although I will say Funchess is a wildcard and has no discernible ceiling yet (could even be a top 5 WR for all we know). He had talent coming out of college and has yet to have a competent passing QB throwing him the ball.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Rodgers was the best of any quarterback in the NFL over the last five years. Remember how insane Carson Wentz was in 2017 when he led the Eagles to their Super Bowl? That was the fourth-best mark of any quarterback over the last five years.

No. 3 was Mahomes in 2020. No. 2 was Rodgers back in 2016. No. 1 was Rodgers in 2020.

He was absolutely operating with laser-like precision. 80% of his throws were catchable, the highest rate of any quarterback over the last five years with at least 25 of these 20+ yard third down attempts.

Gotta give credit to GPG, he's right, keeping anyone that can simply catch the ball and suit up each Sunday is a step in the right direction, these two snips are from a article thats shows how and why we improved in 2020 compared to 2019, and why it will be harder this year is long , but worth reading, would be great if we could keep all our receivers healthy for a change.

It’s not enough that the Packers haven’t brought on talent at the wide receiver position… what they have at the position hasn’t been healthy. The last three seasons in games lost to injury, the Packers receivers ranked:

2020: 29th
2019: 26th
2018: 26th

They’ve had the most injured wide receiver corps in the NFL. Watching Rodgers deliver that MVP performance last season with the fourth-most injured wide receiver corps was just extraordinary.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-se ... 53898.html

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Think this is draft picks? Or is this a Josh Jackson for Yiadom straight up trade?

The Packers were linked to trading Jackson to the Broncos in 2020 for Yiadom in a straight up trade.
image.png
image.png (204.72 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

https://www.bigblueview.com/2021/7/24/2 ... aac-yiadom
The New York Giants churned and churned and churned their cornerback depth chart during training camp a season ago. They finally acquired Isaac Yiadom from the Denver Broncos for a seventh-round draft choice.

Yiadom was serviceable for the Giants last season, but the signing of Adoree’ Jackson showed that the organization wanted better.

Let’s discuss Yiadom as we finish this year’s profiles of the 90 players who are about to report to training camp.
The basics

Height: 6-foot-1
Weight: 190
Position: Cornerback
Experience: 3
Contract: One-year, $1.07 million | Guaranteed: $100,000 | 2021 cap hit: $1.07 million
Career to date

Yiadom was a third-round pick by the Denver Broncos in 2018. He started just nine of the 29 games in which he played, and after two seasons had fallen out of the favor. The Giants, desperate to find anyone who could adequately play cornerback opposite James Bradberry, acquired him in exchange for a seventh-round pick.

Yiadom played in 16 games for the Giants, starting 10. He took over the job from Corey Ballentine, lost it to Ryan Lewis, then regained it. When Yiadom was playing, the Giants played a heavy amount of zone coverage. In 92 man coverage snaps, Yiadom had a 38.8 Pro Football Focus grade. That’s 104th out of 137 qualifying cornerbacks. In zone coverage, Yiadom’s 56.8 PFF grades was 105th. So, the grade was better in zone — but that did not push him up the rankings.

Yiadom ended up playing 633 defensive snaps (58 percent). He compiled a less-than-acceptable 120.1 passer rating against, with 46 tackles, five passes defensed and a forced fumble. Not terrible production considering the price for him was a seventh-round pick, but probably not what the Giants want to go forward with as a starting cornerback.
2021 outlook

Considering the number of players the Giants brought in at cornerback, including a high-priced free agent and two draft picks, Yiadom would seem to be a bubble player entering training camp.

He appears to understand that. Yiadom was on the final year of his rookie contract, but took a pay cut that lowered his cap hit from $2.183 million to $1.07 million this season. That is a more manageable number for a backup, and could improve Yiadom’s chance to stick around.

I had Yiadom missing out in my post-minicamp 53-man roster projection, but I might reconsider that. Backups with special teams ability and a good amount of playing experience can be important, and Yiadom has both.

The one thing Yiadom does not give the Giants is the ability to play a heavy amount of man coverage when he is on the field. We will see if that costs him a roster spot.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I liked Yiadom a lot as a prospect, but I tend not to like these reclamation projects that much if we have to give up something for it. Does he play STs?
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
17 Aug 2021 12:49
I liked Yiadom a lot as a prospect, but I tend not to like these reclamation projects that much if we have to give up something for it. Does he play STs?
That was my first thought and my bet is yes.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
17 Aug 2021 12:49
From 2019:
Yiadom saw significant snaps during the first two weeks of the season with Devontae Harris out, and now the 23-year-old has bumped Harris from the starting role. The Boston College product has 20 tackles (17 solo) on the season but has yet to register a sack or interception while primarily playing special teams.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/p ... aac-yiadom

Also, from the article that gpg brought:
Backups with special teams ability and a good amount of playing experience can be important, and Yiadom has both.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Word is they are also re-signing Dolegala, so another reduction will be required.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So Love is going to likely not practice tomorrow then?

Damnit Nijman.
Yoop wrote:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

from Warren Sharp

"In 2019, the Packers gained only 320 first downs but attempted 203 third downs. In 2020, the Packers gained 358 first downs and attempted only 180 third downs. That’s a significant shift. The Packers also led the NFL in third down conversion rate (if you include the playoffs), converting 51% of their 3rd downs into 1st downs.

When we talk specifically about third downs, Rodgers was dynamite deep in 2020, and this unfortunately is more likely to regress.
How good was he in 2020?

Rodgers was the best of any quarterback in the NFL over the last five years. Remember how insane Carson Wentz was in 2017 when he led the Eagles to their Super Bowl? That was the fourth-best mark of any quarterback over the last five years.

No. 3 was Mahomes in 2020. No. 2 was Rodgers back in 2016. No. 1 was Rodgers in 2020.

He was absolutely operating with laser-like precision. 80% of his throws were catchable, the highest rate of any quarterback over the last five years with at least 25 of these 20+ yard third down attempts.

Just compare year-over-year for Rodgers on third down throws 20+ air yards:

2019: +0.22 EPA/att, 9.3 YPA, 30% success, 61% catchable rate
2020: 1.23 EPA/att, 19.8 YPA, 50% success, 80% catchable rate

He was operating last year on another planet when trying to go deep on third downs."
IT. IS. TIME

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

NCF wrote:
17 Aug 2021 15:13

Word is they are also re-signing Dolegala, so another reduction will be required.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

SO Nauta is done for the whole year now? What happened to him? He was sort of dark horsey to have impact to me. Probably too slow to play in the league, but a good college player at UGA that made plays.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Aug 2021 10:25
SO Nauta is done for the whole year now? What happened to him? He was sort of dark horsey to have impact to me. Probably too slow to play in the league, but a good college player at UGA that made plays.
Not necessarily gone for year, I think the rules to return from IR are still pretty lenient. Nauta was waived/injured so if no team claims him off waivers, he'll go on our IR.

I think he was trained to be an off-roster backup in case Marcedes gets hurt. Can't really carry two blocking TEs.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

salmar80 wrote:
18 Aug 2021 12:41
Drj820 wrote:
18 Aug 2021 10:25
Not necessarily gone for year, I think the rules to return from IR are still pretty lenient. Nauta was waived/injured so if no team claims him off waivers, he'll go on our IR.

I think he was trained to be an off-roster backup in case Marcedes gets hurt. Can't really carry two blocking TEs.
Not lenient if you go on IR before Week 1. It is a season-ending sentence. The only way around it is to get him to IR until healthy, release him, wait 3 weeks (or the mandatory waiting period) and then re-sign him.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Sounds like #Claygate is over.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

That’s so funny

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions: