Packers @ 49ers - Week 1 Preseason GDT - 8/12 - 7:30 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Number of Kicks Packers Have Blocked

21%
No votes
14%
No votes
4+
14%
BEARS STILL SUCK
50%

Total votes: 14

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Aug 2022 13:35
Interesting take from Andy.

Agree? Disagree?

Don’t really disagree.

I almost wonder if he has the wrong Slaton/Slayton on there

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Aug 2022 07:04
I do agree with Skeptic that the best thing for Love is just to play. He needs to fail and pick himself back up. All QBs must go through this. I would have played him all 4 qtrs on Friday.
I thought the same thing myself. They should have played him the entire game. I guess he’s used to playing with the 2nd team and Etling with the 3rd but he just needs the reps.

As Kampman used to say there’s no substitute for game reps. I’ve always felt if you have a QB sitting more than a year you’re doing more harm than good. Obviously it worked out for Rodgers but they need to play.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Aug 2022 10:30
Drj820 wrote:
I do agree with Skeptic that the best thing for Love is just to play. He needs to fail and pick himself back up. All QBs must go through this. I would have played him all 4 qtrs on Friday.
I thought the same thing myself. They should have played him the entire game. I guess he’s used to playing with the 2nd team and Etling with the 3rd but he just needs the reps.

As Kampman used to say there’s no substitute for game reps. I’ve always felt if you have a QB sitting more than a year you’re doing more harm than good. Obviously it worked out for Rodgers but they need to play.
not really, does it matter how long a QB sits if when he does play the game is still obviously to fast for him, confidence isn't built, it's destroyed, ask Kampman about that, confidence is a key component for personal success in any endeavor, whether it's playing QB in the NFL, driving a race car, or simply operating a punch press, the number one reason rookie and young QB's fail is baptism under fire, playing to soon.

Love played enough that he has a weeks worth of film to digest, more playing time the other night complicates that, keeping it simple, with smaller doses is the formula for success.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Aug 2022 10:30
Drj820 wrote:

I had the same thought, but ended up dismissing it. I don't like even QB2 playing behind the deeeep backups at OL. One mix up by a camp body, and Love could take an unnecessary hit. Also, vanilla scheme reps with guys who aren't making the team aren't as good as the early snaps with guys who will actually be on the team.

I do hope LaFleur gives him a bit longer in the next game. Maybe 3 quarters.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Definitely was not indecisive.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Aug 2022 12:28

Definitely was not indecisive.
No, just inaccurate.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Love's best play of the game ended up in an incompletion.

The play where he rolled to his left, set his feet and threw a zinger to Doubs 12 yards down the field was a beautiful play. Doubs just dropped it.

Definitely has a ways to go, but there absolutely improvement in his game. So that is good to see.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

go pak go wrote:
14 Aug 2022 14:25

The play where he rolled to his left, set his feet and threw a zinger to Doubs 12 yards down the field was a beautiful play. Doubs just dropped it.

Definitely has a ways to go, but there absolutely improvement in his game. So that is good to see.
I really like how good he's looked throwing on a rollout. I really liked the one he got batted, rolling right. That was a heroic defensive play that stopped it, but he reset and fired fast.

That game works. That's the clear strength of Russel Wilson's game and it was the clear strength of Joe Montana's game (the Catch was off a rollout throw). Always has been a strong throw in #12's arsenal.

The building blocks are there. I mean, how much worse is his accuracy and decision making than early Matt Stafford? We do have some pretty seriously absurd expectations in that department coming from #12. Lets face it, whoever it is, the next starter is going to throw waaaaay more interceptions than #12.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Waldo wrote:
14 Aug 2022 19:21
go pak go wrote:

I really like how good he's looked throwing on a rollout. I really liked the one he got batted, rolling right. That was a heroic defensive play that stopped it, but he reset and fired fast.

That game works. That's the clear strength of Russel Wilson's game and it was the clear strength of Joe Montana's game (the Catch was off a rollout throw). Always has been a strong throw in #12's arsenal.

The building blocks are there. I mean, how much worse is his accuracy and decision making than early Matt Stafford? We do have some pretty seriously absurd expectations in that department coming from #12. Lets face it, whoever it is, the next starter is going to throw waaaaay more interceptions than #12.
Stafford went 10-6 and won come back player of the year in his 3rd season.

Love has looked inaccurate and makes poor decisions.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

4 of his first 5 seasons he had a completion percentage under 60.

Love made a few poor decisions on Friday, namely the pass to Rodgers. His accuracy isn't yet decent NFL starter quality, but it was much improved from last year.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Waldo wrote:

Exactly!! We went from HOF QB to HOF QB but also from INT King to Anti-Int King! I fully expect our next QB to lie in the middle. That's why building the team with a better run game and stout defense is necessary. It all depends on Love's mindset if he is capable of being himself and not trying to be A-Rod II.

Personally I like seeing him use his mobility and he actually seems more accurate on the move than in the pocket.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Waldo wrote:
go pak go wrote:

yep, don't know why people use Rodgers as the bench mark for Loves success, thats extremely high line to reach.

I think some of the angst with Love has to do with not liking the pick, and dislike for the GM :dunno:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

When Love trusts himself and just let's her rip....he seems to play well. But you can tell he seems to be thinking. I'm not meaning just on decision making, but more about his actual throw. I think he tries to "touch" pass it too much.

Perhaps my bar is too low, but improvement is good to see. Excited to watch him again this week.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

go pak go wrote:
15 Aug 2022 08:48
When Love trusts himself and just let's her rip....he seems to play well. But you can tell he seems to be thinking. I'm not meaning just on decision making, but more about his actual throw. I think he tries to "touch" pass it too much.

Perhaps my bar is too low, but improvement is good to see. Excited to watch him again this week.
He isn't a natural player. It is like he looks at every play as a calculus problem and is trying to solve it after the snap. Whether the defense or his throwing mechanics.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
15 Aug 2022 11:58
go pak go wrote:

He isn't a natural player. It is like he looks at every play as a calculus problem and is trying to solve it after the snap. Whether the defense or his throwing mechanics.
serious??? you act as though it's easy to read a NFL defense pre snap, Love was getting the ball out at a 2.5 count, and was reading progressions, being decisive was his strong suit

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:

I’ve noticed this too. It doesn’t look natural to me.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Larry McCarron with a PS week 1 wrap-up:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Watched most of the Love throws again. I see a lot of progression. I also do not have a ton of concern with the accuracy, but more concern over situational football. I think as he settles in and sees more game reps he can work up to this, but whenever you are throwing in the middle of the field or any route really where the WR is facing the QB, you cannot miss high. If you are going to miss, miss low. If you think about Aaron Rodgers, he does miss throws, sometimes quite a bit, but they are always in the dirt. Rarely, if ever, do you see Rodgers miss high. Likewise, when you are throwing deep, don't miss short. I think Love is better here and, to be honest, Rodgers isn't particularly good in this area in comparison, but those are two areas I think if Love can improve situationally, the disaster plays go down a lot.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
16 Aug 2022 08:21
Watched most of the Love throws again. I see a lot of progression. I also do not have a ton of concern with the accuracy, but more concern over situational football. I think as he settles in and sees more game reps he can work up to this, but whenever you are throwing in the middle of the field or any route really where the WR is facing the QB, you cannot miss high. If you are going to miss, miss low. If you think about Aaron Rodgers, he does miss throws, sometimes quite a bit, but they are always in the dirt. Rarely, if ever, do you see Rodgers miss high. Likewise, when you are throwing deep, don't miss short. I think Love is better here and, to be honest, Rodgers isn't particularly good in this area in comparison, but those are two areas I think if Love can improve situationally, the disaster plays go down a lot.
Yup. I agree.

And I really hope my post isn't misconstrued as "isn't natural or doesn't have it".

I think he does have it. He just needs time. He has like 3 halves of preseason games, 1 full NFL game and one half of an NFL game.

I am excited to watch it again. But I too was overall not disappointed. I think we have something to be hopeful on here. At the least, I'm not shutting his door yet.
Yoop wrote: