Week 17 Games

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Raptorman wrote:
03 Jan 2023 20:50
So if the 5 minutes came from the NFL, it didn't come from the front office.

Joe Buck, ESPN maintain NFL told network players had 5 minutes to warm up following Damar Hamlin's injury
They said they’re going to give five minutes of a warmup to these players to get ready," Buck told The Post by phone.

ESPN, the broadcast home of "Monday Night Football" since 2006, said it reported on the air what it was told in real time.

In an interview with the New York Post, Buck said the information about the game resuming came from ESPN's rules expert John Parry, who was in direct communication with the league.

"There was constant communication in real time between ESPN and league and game officials," ESPN said in a statement. "As a result of that, we reported what we were told in the moment and immediately updated fans as new information was learned. This was an unprecedented, rapidly evolving circumstance. All night long, we refrained from speculation."
One of them is full of &%$@. My money is on the NFL.

Notice Vincent’s use of words. He keeps referencing “commissioner’s office”…

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Just asking, why would John Parry be in direct contact with the league?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
03 Jan 2023 21:20
One of them is full of &%$@.
I don't even think we have to go that far. It could be as simple as some crossed up communication going around during a hectic time. It could be very plausible that both are 100% right that the NFL never considered 5 minutes, but ESPN heard 5 minutes some somewhere they believed was the league.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Jan 2023 21:28
APB wrote:
I don't even think we have to go that far. It could be as simple as some crossed up communication going around during a hectic time. It could be very plausible that both are 100% right that the NFL never considered 5 minutes, but ESPN heard 5 minutes some somewhere they believed was the league.
I don’t think you give John Parry, Joe Buck and the entire broadcast team enough credit. I don’t think it’s even fathomable Joe Buck makes that report - multiple times - unless they’ve confirmed it. I’m sure their initial response was the same as the rest of us - a big fat “seriously”??

Now, I don’t doubt that word from “the league” came from some mid-level underling show-must-go-on type who was not part of NFL senior leadership decision making. I’d guess he was the league's “first responder” of sort and once senior leaders got involved it was shut down immediately. That doesn’t negate guidance was received from a representative of the league, though, and reportedly passed along through Parry which was then subsequently broadcast on national television by Joe Buck.

From the comments section:
It is a bad look for the very image conscious NFL. It gives the appearance that the NFL was more about the game and money than the player, which is most likely true. While that will offend the NFL and they would deny it with their dying breath, you know that they care more about a multi billion dollar industry than a player.
I think that rings very true. Harsh, but true.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
03 Jan 2023 21:42
Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Jan 2023 21:28
APB wrote:
I don’t think you give John Parry, Joe Buck and the entire broadcast team enough credit. I don’t think it’s even fathomable Joe Buck makes that report - multiple times - unless they’ve confirmed it. I’m sure their initial response was the same as the rest of us - a big fat “seriously”??

Now, I don’t doubt that word from “the league” came from some mid-level underling show-must-go-on type who was not part of NFL senior leadership decision making. I’d guess he was the leagues “first responder” of sort and once senior leaders got involved it was shut down immediately. That doesn’t negate guidance was received from a representative of the league, though, and reportedly passed along through Parry which was then subsequently broadcast on national television by Joe Buck.
I could go with that too, seems plausible. No one needs to be lying, just a bad situation at a hectic time.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

So does DRJ get off the hook for a jump to conclusion comment that the NFL reacted poorly in not cancelling the game for over a hour after the incident, then tried to defer blame in any direction it would stick besides there lap, people are so hell bent on defending a league that has shown they value the dollar over player safety at every cross road, and this was just another example.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

APB wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
03 Jan 2023 20:50
So if the 5 minutes came from the NFL, it didn't come from the front office.

Joe Buck, ESPN maintain NFL told network players had 5 minutes to warm up following Damar Hamlin's injury
They said they’re going to give five minutes of a warmup to these players to get ready," Buck told The Post by phone.

ESPN, the broadcast home of "Monday Night Football" since 2006, said it reported on the air what it was told in real time.

In an interview with the New York Post, Buck said the information about the game resuming came from ESPN's rules expert John Parry, who was in direct communication with the league.

"There was constant communication in real time between ESPN and league and game officials," ESPN said in a statement. "As a result of that, we reported what we were told in the moment and immediately updated fans as new information was learned. This was an unprecedented, rapidly evolving circumstance. All night long, we refrained from speculation."
One of them is full of &%$@. My money is on the NFL.

Notice Vincent’s use of words. He keeps referencing “commissioner’s office”…
Both can be true. A local NFL person could have told them the standard line that they would be given 5 minutes not knowing the severity of the situation. I'll chalk it up to poor communications on the NFL part. Who was talking to the network may not have been the same people talking to the refs and coaches.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
03 Jan 2023 23:10
So does DRJ get off the hook for a jump to conclusion comment that the NFL reacted poorly in not cancelling the game for over a hour after the incident, then tried to defer blame in any direction it would stick besides there lap, people are so hell bent on defending a league that has shown they value the dollar over player safety at every cross road, and this was just another example.
Go back and read his post. He blamed the commissioner right off the bat. I highly doubt that he would have made a decision on 5 minutes. That would have been left to underlings.

My bet is that someone at the network asked, and someone at the NFL told them "what would normally" happen. 5 minutes to get ready. While not understanding the condition of the player on the field. But then that would be speculation on my part. My bet is no one ever comes up with who told the network 5 minutes.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Raptorman wrote:
04 Jan 2023 01:40
Yoop wrote:
Go back and read his post. He blamed the commissioner right off the bat. I highly doubt that he would have made a decision on 5 minutes. That would have been left to underlings.

My bet is that someone at the network asked, and someone at the NFL told them "what would normally" happen. 5 minutes to get ready. While not understanding the condition of the player on the field. But then that would be speculation on my part. My bet is no one ever comes up with who told the network 5 minutes.
I’m surprised to see you so ferociously defending “the man”. The head official, any staff from NFL, etc all represent the “nfl” and anyone representing the NFL falls under Goodells leadership. It’s just like when a player isn’t prepared, the head coach is held accountable.

Next hilarious thing is how some believe every carefully crafted statement from the league when they are trying to weasel out of a PR disaster.

Some of you guys picked a fight with me over a nothing burger, because you defend the shield blindly at every turn. If an announcer for a game said the league is giving the teams 5 minutes, I should be able to form an opinion off that statement. You act like he was on the field for 30 seconds. It was over 10 minutes, obviously plenty of time for the league to communicate next steps to Buck or the teams. If the announcer turned out wrong, that’s on them. It’s not like Joe buck is “social media speculation” like i was accused of getting my info from.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
Yoop wrote:

No Rapter, right now you are spreading more speculation then DRJ did with his simple observation that Goodell was poking the pooch, seriously the NFL fumbled the PR part, then sat on there hands for over a hr before cancelling the game, come on man.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
04 Jan 2023 05:37
Raptorman wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I’m surprised to see you so ferociously defending “the man”. The head official, any staff from NFL, etc all represent the “nfl” and anyone representing the NFL falls under Goodells leadership. It’s just like when a player isn’t prepared, the head coach is held accountable.

Next hilarious thing is how some believe every carefully crafted statement from the league when they are trying to weasel out of a PR disaster.

Some of you guys picked a fight with me over a nothing burger, because you defend the shield blindly at every turn. If an announcer for a game said the league is giving the teams 5 minutes, I should be able to form an opinion off that statement. You act like he was on the field for 30 seconds. It was over 10 minutes, obviously plenty of time for the league to communicate next steps to Buck or the teams. If the announcer turned out wrong, that’s on them. It’s not like Joe buck is “social media speculation” like i was accused of getting my info from.
thing is, all of the league and Goodell defenders here dislike how the league operates just as much as we do, they got upset because you made a statement prior to exposure of all the facts, that your comment turned out pretty accurate has given them red butt, watch your back :rotf:

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

All of this speculation sounds like much ado about nothing. I think it time to put it to rest.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Drj820 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Not defending anyone. But do tell us, How you know that the "man" is responsible for the 5-minute call. What source do you have that he made that call that night?

One thing I hate more than anything is people making up crap about incidents. And you made up crap to push an anti-Goodall agenda. You have no proof he made the 5 minute call, yet you singled him out.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

williewasgreat wrote:
04 Jan 2023 09:06
All of this speculation sounds like much ado about nothing. I think it time to put it to rest.
yep, it always was much ado about nothing, the angst though to me is why didn't the league post pone the game after 15 to 20 minutes, Hamlin is laying there in obvious cardiac arrest, and the league is sending mixed messages instead of specific info.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
04 Jan 2023 07:33
Raptorman wrote:
Yoop wrote:

No Rapter, right now you are spreading more speculation then DRJ did with his simple observation that Goodell was poking the pooch, seriously the NFL fumbled the PR part, then sat on there hands for over a hr before cancelling the game, come on man.
I do believe I gave a scenario. I didn't call out anyone by name, and I called my out thought process as speculation. Maybe the NFL was more concerned with the player on the field than making sure fans knew what was going on. But that couldn't be, could it? That's not a possible scenario that even entered your head.

In the aviation community, we have a rule when &%$@ hit the fan. Aviate, navigate and communicate. Notice which one comes last. Because sometimes communication is the least of your worries.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
04 Jan 2023 09:52
Drj820 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:

Not defending anyone. But do tell us, How you know that the "man" is responsible for the 5-minute call. What source do you have that he made that call that night?

One thing I hate more than anything is people making up crap about incidents. And you made up crap to push an anti-Goodall agenda. You have no proof he made the 5 minute call, yet you singled him out.
you know what I don't get Raptor is your defense of Goodell, what has he done that you approve of? seriously Goodell has to be one of the most over paid baboons thats ever watered down this league, instead of fighting on line betting on games, he promoted it, betting invites corruption, and under the table fixing of games, you complain about officiating, and rightly so, if you don't think they've been attempting to control the outcome of games and the point spread you'd be in a small minority of the football fans I know, Good-all by his own folly is ruining the brand by bowing to the all mighty dollar, and that seems a pretty accurate description for why the nfl waited so long to finally cancel that game, you can be sure if up to them it would have restarted as soon as that Ambulance left, they waited over a hour to finally pull the plug.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
04 Jan 2023 10:10
Raptorman wrote:
04 Jan 2023 09:52
Drj820 wrote:

you know what I don't get Raptor is your defense of Goodell, what has he done that you approve of? seriously Goodell has to be one of the most over paid baboons thats ever watered down this league, instead of fighting on line betting on games, he promoted it, betting invites corruption, and under the table fixing of games, you complain about officiating, and rightly so, if you don't think they've been attempting to control the outcome of games and the point spread you'd be in a small minority of the football fans I know, Good-all by his own folly is ruining the brand by bowing to the all mighty dollar, and that seems a pretty accurate description for why the nfl waited so long to finally cancel that game, you can be sure if up to them it would have restarted as soon as that Ambulance left, they waited over a hour to finally pull the plug.
Get over it. What did he do in this case? Bring the evidence. Not speculation. And if the NFL is so concerned with the all-mighty dollar on the game, why hasn't it been rescheduled?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah I didn't weigh in on the previous discussion because while true that Joe Buck's words were at the time unverified hearsay, there was also reason to believe he was not talking out of his ass. More pertinently, his statements were also consistent with how the NFL (like all big business) operates. 'Could have gone either way, Wait And See is never a bad approach.

I don't rail on Goodell because it doesn't matter who is commissioner; the way this business is set up ensures it will always be dirty and corrupt. It's a glorified cartel.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pretty obvious why Goodell would be implicated in the situation. He’s the commissioner of the league. Like I said, it’s just like a HC of the team. Does the HC ever fumble twice in a game??? No, but if the RB fumbles and the team loses…the coach is held accountable for the loss.

Carrying water for Goodell is nauseating
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur