2024 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Biggest Need

QB
No votes
RB
11%
WR
No votes
TE
No votes
OL
15%
DL
4%
EDGE
6%
LB
19%
CB
18%
S
26%

Total votes: 72

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Yoop wrote:
25 Nov 2023 13:44
no way I'am giving a 8 year vet a 3rd contract that makes him the richest LT in the league with a 65 mil guarantee, another situation where drafting defense supersedes common sense, to me it was to pacify Rodgers, the ol rule seems stringent, never give out 3rd contracts for big molla, another case where it comes back to bite ya, people act like LT's are QB's, they aint, and ya don't need the best in the league to do well :dunno:
1. Pretty much agree.

2. Therefore, who are you and what have you done with Yoop? :)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Half Empty wrote:
25 Nov 2023 14:25
Yoop wrote:
no way I'am giving a 8 year vet a 3rd contract that makes him the richest LT in the league with a 65 mil guarantee, another situation where drafting defense supersedes common sense, to me it was to pacify Rodgers, the ol rule seems stringent, never give out 3rd contracts for big molla, another case where it comes back to bite ya, people act like LT's are QB's, they aint, and ya don't need the best in the league to do well :dunno:
1. Pretty much agree.

haha
whatever happened to let em go a year early rather then a year late? people went bat sh t crazy about keeping Rodgers yet wont bat a eye to keep a aging broken LT who's future hangs on another operation, cut the chord, use the first pick on the best LT available and be done with this insanity :idn:

most wanted to trade Rodgers to garner draft value, why not Bakhtiari?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

About to call you guys out on revisionist history, but I was actually pretty stocked how negative/cautious the news of his extension was.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=371

Read More. Post Less.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Yoop wrote:
25 Nov 2023 14:53
Half Empty wrote:
Yoop wrote:
1. Pretty much agree.

haha
whatever happened to let em go a year early rather then a year late? people went bat sh t crazy about keeping Rodgers yet wont bat a eye to keep a aging broken LT who's future hangs on another operation, cut the chord, use the first pick on the best LT available and be done with this insanity :idn:

I don't think that most have a problem with trading him. The problem is what team would take him and give up anything worthwhile?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Half Empty wrote:
26 Nov 2023 08:39
Yoop wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

1. Pretty much agree.

haha

I don't think that most have a problem with trading him. The problem is what team would take him and give up anything worthwhile?
my point was prior to giving him his last contract, I remember being so so about it, he was the best LT in the league, and I signed off on it, that still doesn't mean it was the right thing to do, I'am not paid to make those kinds of decisions, and I remember a lot of fans not wanting to do it.

thing is if there is any one position where guys play 12 years it's OL, I think that was obviously a consideration, just goes to show though that older vets can have problems rehabbing injuries, so the golden rule is to not offer 3rd contracts, rather, trade them when there still under contract prior.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 Nov 2023 08:51
Half Empty wrote:
Yoop wrote:

haha

thing is if there is any one position where guys play 12 years it's OL, I think that was obviously a consideration, just goes to show though that older vets can have problems rehabbing injuries, so the golden rule is to not offer 3rd contracts, rather, trade them when there still under contract prior.
David Bakhtiari is an outlier. Not the rule.

I don't think he will be a good case to point in the future and be like "see! this is why you don't sign 29 year olds to a third contract!"

It was just honest to goodness horrible and rotten luck.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
26 Nov 2023 08:54
Yoop wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

I don't think he will be a good case to point in the future and be like "see! this is why you don't sign 29 year olds to a third contract!"

I'm not generally in favor of 3rd contracts for quickness/speed -dependent positions (unless the player's name is Woodson), but elite OLs' prime lasts into their 30s. With Bak, we simply had god-awful luck in many ways.

And I'm 100% sure that had we let Bak go or traded him, Yoop woulda blown a fuse and been like "AR's gonna get killed, he has no time to throw, we're wasting our last chance with him!". The theory of getting the best LT in game to shore up pass pro for a QB who can no longer escape like before was sound. This time Lady Fortuna just decided to fart in our general direction. :|

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

go pak go wrote:

And that’s all it is. There’s no reason to dissect it anymore. Just rotten luck for everyone involved. There’s nothing else to rub from this situation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
26 Nov 2023 09:29
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I'm not generally in favor of 3rd contracts for quickness/speed -dependent positions (unless the player's name is Woodson), but elite OLs' prime lasts into their 30s. With Bak, we simply had god-awful luck in many ways.

And I'm 100% sure that had we let Bak go or traded him, Yoop woulda blown a fuse and been like "AR's gonna get killed, he has no time to throw, we're wasting our last chance with him!". The theory of getting the best LT in game to shore up pass pro for a QB who can no longer escape like before was sound. This time Lady Fortuna just decided to fart in our general direction. :|
I doubt that :nono: :lol: I would have been fine trading Bakh, it's possible we could have gotten 1 first maybe two for him, and I've been on record for years here saying ya don't need all pro tackles, hell ya don't need all pros at any position, people get all out of sorts over having the best guy here or there, the only position that gets that type response from me is QB.

just surprising that all the talk of trading a year early versus a year late doesn't apply to Bakhtiari :idn:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Bak was completely deserving of his contract. You don’t trade away tackles of his caliber. Let’s be fair when criticizing the organization. Pushing money out on his deal? That was stupid. The initial contract he got he was deserving of. Just really unlucky he tore his ACL and can’t recover from it. Considering the amount of setbacks we should have never pushed money out on it IMO.

Weird yoop has complained most of this season about how bad the protection has been for Love and now does t want an all pro LT.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Nov 2023 21:16
Bak was completely deserving of his contract. You don’t trade away tackles of his caliber. Let’s be fair when criticizing the organization. Pushing money out on his deal? That was stupid. The initial contract he got he was deserving of. Just really unlucky he tore his ACL and can’t recover from it. Considering the amount of setbacks we should have never pushed money out on it IMO.

Weird yoop has complained most of this season about how bad the protection has been for Love and now does t want an all pro LT.
Yeah I really thought it made the most sense to send a package deal to NYJ with Rodgers and Bak.

I get the thought process of trying to set up Love for success....but I wanted him traded in March/April and I still stand by that today.

That being said, I don't think he has much trade value any loner.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

yes, any value he had in trade is long gone. There was thought, although cautious thought, after another year and surgery things were cleaned up. He showed he was still elite by just stepping in late season, no practice really or games and still looked like an all pro.

Now he's shown again the knee is an issue and will probably always ben an issue and there is significant money owed that comes along with him. A team will sign him i'm sure just to see, because if he can just play on Sundays he's worth it. But they aren't going to give up picks, and take on that money just to see.

I know why they kept him and I know why they moved the money around and it makes pretty good sense. But what happened is, one of the top 3 tackles in the game today got a pretty normal injury that everyone comes back from in about 10-15 months without much issue and it turned into a career stopping injury 3 years later and running. Without that injury, i have no doubt Bakhtiari is protecting Jordan for at least 3 seasons at an extremely high level. Would have been money well spent.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:

simply put Lupe, ya don't need all pro type LT's to win, they just need to be better then what we've seen to often in Bakhtiari's absence, same at RT, Toms is doing well, and he's not all pro, or even Pro bowl, ya don't need all pro players to win

easy to say signing Bakh to that 3rd contract, ( for more then any previous OL man) was smart money, after all the best are hard to replace, I've never heard of a better time to move on from a player then that, LT's are not QB's and I don't care who thinks they should be ranked like that, they are easier to find, and ya don't need a all pro to do that job.

It was the same with Devonta Adams, again give me a couple with slightly less talent then he and it's still and possibly even a better situation.

we held onto both toooooo long, we could have gotten better trade value, and replaced both and been better off, the opinion of trading or getting rid of a player a year early rather then a year late has merit
Last edited by Yoop on 27 Nov 2023 06:45, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 06:33
lupedafiasco wrote:

simply put Lupe, ya don't need all pro type LT's to win, they just need to be better then what we've seen to often in Bakhtiari's absence, same at RT, Toms is doing well, and he's not all pro, or even Pro bowl, ya don't need all pro players to win
I'll be looking forward to your next post bemoaning the O-Line for their failure to open running lanes for Jones/Dillon and criticizing Gute for not providing better O-Line talent.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
27 Nov 2023 06:40
Yoop wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

I'll be looking forward to your next post bemoaning the O-Line for their failure to open running lanes for Jones/Dillon and criticizing Gute for not providing better O-Line talent.
come on, we could have bought a whole OL for what we'll be paying Bakhtiari.

we payed a guy kazzillions, mostly because of some ol fabled nonsense that the blind side has to be completely secured in a age where defenses bring there best from the front side or the middle, while we patch work the rest of the OL because we don't have money to pay for better blockers at the other 4 positions :idn:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

A LT who has been incredibly durable on a HOF trajectory who was still in his 20’s, yeah, super easy resign. You’d hope it could have been for less, but it was necessary.

Everyone talks about SF and Phillys OL’s and they keep bringing back guys like Trent Williams and Jason Kelce. Brilliant!!! We do it and get back injury luck, boy was that stupid. Everyone should have seen it, I was smart about it the whole time.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

So your alternative to prove that it is easy to get OL is to give Zach Tom as the example? Who just so happens to be the best or 2nd best OL draft pick since....David Bakhtiari?

OL is not easy to get right. The Packers are one of the best in the league to do it but even we can only really point to Tom and Jenkins as being successful picks in the last 9 years.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Nov 2023 07:40
Yoop wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

So your alternative to prove that it is easy to get OL is to give Zach Tom as the example? Who just so happens to be the best or 2nd best OL draft pick since....David Bakhtiari?

OL is not easy to get right. The Packers are one of the best in the league to do it but even we can only really point to Tom and Jenkins as being successful picks in the last 9 years.
maybe because most picks are mid to late rounders, Jenkins was a hit as a 2nd rounder, Myers looked good as a rookie, and basically what we've looked for with ol is pass pro ability, in that we've usually been good enough, and ya don't need to draft high to get them, however to get one good at both run and pass blocking then the odds vastly improve picking high, even then they don't have to be top 5 in the league,

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 08:04
go pak go wrote:
27 Nov 2023 07:40
Yoop wrote:

maybe because most picks are mid to late rounders, Jenkins was a hit as a 2nd rounder, Myers looked good as a rookie, and basically what we've looked for with ol is pass pro ability, in that we've usually been good enough, and ya don't need to draft high to get them, however to get one good at both run and pass blocking then the odds vastly improve picking high, even then they don't have to be top 5 in the league,
You do realize TT's and Gutey's knack of finding later round OL has enabled them to invest in other positions like WR?

If we had drafted OL with success rate of most teams, we would've had to invest waaaaay more high picks on especially OTs.

A QB who doesn't have 2.5 secs to throw, is never going to utilize your dream WR to his fullest.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."