Packers Bengals. First pre season game of the year

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
11 Aug 2023 23:42
Your view is love will be good - limited evidence.
Other view is love will be bad - limited evidence.
That's literally not what I said at all

I said that Love is the unquestioned leader of this team and that he did nothing to change that tonight.

And I said that Sean Clifford is the rookie backup; and he did nothing to change that tonight.

And I said that all this talk about Clifford pushing Love or looking like the better player is bs agenda-driven narratives lingering about things that have nothing to do with these players or tonight's performances. And I also said it's happening all over the internet, not primarily here.

And finally, I said that this whole conversation is stupid, so I guess on that point, you're right that I have a bad take, since I'm participating in it by calling it out.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Aug 2023 23:48
bud fox wrote:

, you're right that I have a bad take,
Exactly
8-)

I agree in that today changed nothing, Love will be the starter.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Clifford absolutely looked better tonight. Better accuracy, better pocket oresence, better reads, better zip, and better mojo.
No, he isn't pushing Love. Love will have at least this season, and maybe next season, to prove he is or is not a long term starter. The Packers invested a lot into him and are going to provide every opportunity for their investment to show up.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Above is exactly what [mention]YoHoChecko[/mention] is talking about. Simply agenda driven nonsense. Clifford and Love looked good in their respective roles.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

wallyuwl wrote:
12 Aug 2023 00:12
Clifford absolutely looked better tonight. Better accuracy, better pocket oresence, better reads, better zip, and better mojo.
No, he isn't pushing Love. Love will have at least this season, and maybe next season, to prove he is or is not a long term starter. The Packers invested a lot into him and are going to provide every opportunity for their investment to show up.
Agree but I think he won't be starting next season.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

wallyuwl wrote:
12 Aug 2023 00:12
I didn't think I'd see the day when [mention]wallyuwl[/mention] confesses to like a Packers draft pick. :shock:

Enjoy your crush on Clifford's nice balls while it lasts. ;)

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
11 Aug 2023 19:24
texas wrote:
11 Aug 2023 18:14
Damn, I don't remember the last time I saw our starter miss a throw that badly
Last December. But yes. Love had two poor throws on his first series.

What? No, Love's 3rd down incomplete was worse than this.

Sometimes I'm down for blind hype and homerism, but not today.

I will say though, Rodgers' deep ball the last 5 years has been garbage, and Love -> Watson, even though it was batted down by the DB at the last second, was just as good as anything Rodgers could come up with in the MLF era at that distance.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Also, no thanks, I am taking Love over Clifford easily, going into the season. Not even close. Every year like half the rookies show flashes of Favre, and by that I mean they throw it hard into triple coverage. Then they can say they "showed some spark" but in reality all they did was go out there, not understand any of the offense, and turn the ball over a few times. In a meaningless preseason game we can say they showed that they have a lot of talent, but in the regular season that type of performance will get real old, real fast.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Why are we talking about QB's?

Looks to me like the Packers found their 3rd RB for this season and rotational RB for next season. And it wasn't just that long run, he looked great on several other runs.

Anyone know if Davis is OK? That hit he took looked brutal.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Love looked tighter then a banjo string, nerves, the miss to Musgrave, the decision to go deep to Watson when he had a wide open receiver crossing that would have produced a first down was reminiscent of the QB he just replaced, who people here hate for doing that stuff :rotf: but he settled down on his second possession, and looked much better.

with the way Clifford played ( loose as though he had nothing to lose, and doesn't) there are bound to be whispers of a QB battle, a QB controversy, but to me thats all it is, I expect Love to be more settled next week, that was a big stage for him last night, he waited 3 years for it, starting tentative should have been expected.

Wilson seems like a bruiser RB, and quick rather then fast, if the goal is to run more we may keep him and Goodson, and roll with 4 RB's, a FB a 3 TE's. as long as Musgrave is healthy it'll be hard to take him off the field.

I think the most disappointing part of last nights game was spectrum cable feed and the one sided announcers from Cinnci and the NFL net channel, pure suckage all around.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I've watched the Wooden dropped INT like 6 times. It's so funny.

A rookie DL pushes upfield, reads the screen, and legit turns and runs a route. He's looking like a RB going for a screen pass, arms outstretched to cradle the ball in. And then reminds us why he plays defense, let alone lineman.

What a great play and hilarious drop. But maybe I'm biased because I've been on the Wooden Train (yeah, I heard it) since OTAs

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

First off I'd say Bungles announcers were very fair to both sides in the actual game calls. Coach and player interviews were naturally skewed to their side. They've still got tickets to sell.

Anybody remember Brian Brohm? There was all this talk about him supplanting AR as a rook. Love is the man. He had a good quarter. Clifford had a good night for a rookie. Gives me a little hope we might move him for something one day.

I want to see Wilson against better competition. Can he sit back and let the play develop in front of him against 1st or 2nd team Ds.

Glad to see we are playing some starters so maybe we'll come out sharp the first game this year.

Overall you couldn't have much of a better start to the season.

Go Pack Go!

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Aug 2023 10:25
I've watched the Wooden dropped INT like 6 times. It's so funny.

A rookie DL pushes upfield, reads the screen, and legit turns and runs a route. He's looking like a RB going for a screen pass, arms outstretched to cradle the ball in. And then reminds us why he plays defense, let alone lineman.

What a great play and hilarious drop. But maybe I'm biased because I've been on the Wooden Train (yeah, I heard it) since OTAs
Wished he had just set it up like a volleyball since there we some Packers just beyond the play who could have picked it off.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BF004 wrote:
11 Aug 2023 20:54
Mr. Crosby, there is a Mr Gutekunst on line 2
Probably but it was nice to see kickoffs going into the endzone last night...

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

bud fox wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Aug 2023 22:57
The conversation online (here and elsewhere) around Love/Clifford is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

And it is definitely the same people who thought Sean Clifford was such a dumb draft pick that Gutey should be publicly flogged that are trying to say Clifford is pushing or going to push Jordan Love to be the starter. Like I said, some here, most elsewhere.

Just absolute dumb stuff there. Completely discrediting takes. It's tribal narrative stuff completely void of football analysis

Love is the unquestioned leader of this team. Clifford is the smart guy drafted to be a career backup with stints of starting throughout his career as long as he puts in the work on his footwork to improve his accuracy and consistency from college. There's no controversy here. They both played their roles tonight, and showed that they can be what is asked of them, and showed that they both are young and learning (and they did it against very different caliber defenders).

Love came out and completed 7 of 10 passes with a TD and no turnovers and a near miss on a beautiful deep ball. When you have a 1st round pick, carefully developed, with the full backing of the entire team, great team energy around the whole offseason carried into the game atmosphere, and he comes out and does his job, there is no cause for questioning his place. And when the backup comes out and looks surprisingly good against backups, but still throws a couple INTs, there's no cause for screaming to elevate him.

All of those takes are narrative-driven by opinions on things that have nothing to do with those guys, mostly Gutey and Rodgers. So please stop the wild agenda-driven chatter. We should be pleased that our 5th round rookie looks like a good pick because we need a backup QB.

Other than that, fun stuff tonight!

I have heard of some of these guys like Emanuel Wilson or K. Banks, but I didn't bother listening; guess I have to listen now.

Some things I noticed:

- Wicks and Musgrave blocked the bejeezus out of their guys on the short Goodson TD. We love to see it.
- Already mentioned dozens of times in the thread, but whew! Valentine!!
- Rasheed Walker got time at both LT and RT and looked good on the highlight plays. I'll be interested to see what the real film crunchers see from him. I hope the Caleb Jones injury isn't too serious.
- All the talk of needing veteran wide receivers but the WR room looks awesome and deep while the TE room is the shallowest pool in light of Deguara and Davis being banged up (and Davis significantly)
- Related to the above, I wouldn't be surprised if we keep Pearson at FB instead of a 4th TE--which is wild since rookie TEs struggle and two of our top 3 are rookies. Musgrave looks like the hands-down TE1, though, so maybe he's an exception.

I didn't hear or see almost anything about any safeties. That isn't necessarily horrible because if they were awful I'd see more complaints (aside from @NCF mentioning that they were looking rough all around, so maybe people just didn't wanna talk about it, haha)
Bad take.

Clifford at some point will start this season but he isn't pushing Love.

If Love is bad there is every chance clifford could start a game this year.

Tonight Love Love was not pressured at all by a non blitzing 2nd team and his scripted plays were to the flat, an out, bad deep ball, bad mid ball, roll-out and a hanging pass in the end zone which was terribly played.

This is also with a short field because the Packers decided to go all out and blitz in first game of preseason which was kinda nuts to watch.

Tonight didn't change any opinions for the lovers or the haters.
I hope there aren't true haters of Love. How can we tell what we have in him with the limited evidence so far? For me as long as he improves every week and shows he belongs I don't know what more we can ask. Having a good QB but crap around him won't save the day. Just ask Broncos fans.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

I didn't watch a lot of the last quarter (I was watching the Crew). Did McGough play? If so, how did he look?

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Aug 2023 22:57
The conversation online (here and elsewhere) around Love/Clifford is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

And it is definitely the same people who thought Sean Clifford was such a dumb draft pick that Gutey should be publicly flogged that are trying to say Clifford is pushing or going to push Jordan Love to be the starter. Like I said, some here, most elsewhere.

Just absolute dumb stuff there. Completely discrediting takes. It's tribal narrative stuff completely void of football analysis

Love is the unquestioned leader of this team. Clifford is the smart guy drafted to be a career backup with stints of starting throughout his career as long as he puts in the work on his footwork to improve his accuracy and consistency from college. There's no controversy here. They both played their roles tonight, and showed that they can be what is asked of them, and showed that they both are young and learning (and they did it against very different caliber defenders).
Yes, because we all know that a QB drafted in the 5th round or later can never expect to be more than a career backup. God, I just can't think of any QB drafted after the 5th round who ended up having a memorable career.

Seriously though, I agree that there is not a controversy. This is Love's job to lose. That being said, I think just about everyone liked what they saw out of Cliff last night (minus the pick 6). So I hope Clifford continues to impress, because it is only going to motivate Love even more.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Captain_Ben wrote:
12 Aug 2023 13:18
Yes, because we all know that a QB drafted in the 5th round or later can never expect to be more than a career backup. God, I just can't think of any QB drafted after the 5th round who ended up having a memorable career.

Seriously though, I agree that there is not a controversy. This is Love's job to lose. That being said, I think just about everyone liked what they saw out of Cliff last night (minus the pick 6). So I hope Clifford continues to impress, because it is only going to motivate Love even more.

As time progresses, if Clifford should develop as some sort of elite talent, we have the luxury of choice. So far.
It's not about what Clifford could be at some point. It's about what Clifford clearly is and what Love clearly is right now.

Like you said; there is no controversy... no looking over the shoulder... no pushing the starter. Love is the starting QB and team leader playing for his next big contract this year trying to show that he can be The Guy worthy of that contract.

Clifford is a longshot rookie 5th rounder playing to show he can stay in the league and tasked with holding the clipboard and being a smart, passionate hard-working member of the QB room. No matter what happens with either throughout their careers, what they are to this Packers team this year is written in stone barring a brutal injury to Love.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
12 Aug 2023 11:50
I didn't watch a lot of the last quarter (I was watching the Crew). Did McGough play? If so, how did he look?
Fantastic. Yould could definitely tell he watched his video before handing off to Wilson on the 80 yard run.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.