Packers @ Bears GDT: Sunday Sep 10th, 3:25pm CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Packers by 100

Bout GD Time
26%
This is way too early for a GDT
4%
Where is the Here's Johnny Thread
12%
Packers by 100
12%
Jordan Love
16%
Still hate you BF
8%
LFGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!
22%

Total votes: 50

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

wallyuwl wrote:
08 Sep 2023 21:14
Watson has not proven anything yet. I was hard on him last year. He deserved it. This year he is proving fragile again. Track/speed guys get a lot of muscle injuries. That is what Watson is as of now.
He scored 9 TDs as a rookie. It's fine to say he has a lot to prove in terms of availability and consistency and rising to be a WR1 in this league.

But to say he has not proven anything yet is simply a lie. He's proven that he is a dynamic playmaker with a nose for the end zone. That's not nothing.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

williewasgreat wrote:
08 Sep 2023 17:12
Yoop wrote:
08 Sep 2023 15:32
where playing the Chicago Bears, now I know "any given Sunday" and upsets happen, but again this is the Chicago Bears, and we've had a lease on the life of the Chicago Bears forever, bring on our running attack and kiss these cubbies good night :lol:
Sorry Yoop, but I was a teacher in the Chicago area in the 1980s. The Bears owned us during those awful years and I had to live with their insufferable fans, many of whom were my students.
I lived west of Chicago in St. Charles from 1970 till 88, and like you had to deal with the unruly Bares fans, high lighted by our drafting of Mandarich, and that 85 SB shuffle, my co workers rubbed it in every chance they got, owning the Bears as we have this last decade has been my sweet revenge :)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Sep 2023 23:49
wallyuwl wrote:
Watson has not proven anything yet. I was hard on him last year. He deserved it. This year he is proving fragile again. Track/speed guys get a lot of muscle injuries. That is what Watson is as of now.
He scored 9 TDs as a rookie. It's fine to say he has a lot to prove in terms of availability and consistency and rising to be a WR1 in this league.

But to say he has not proven anything yet is simply a lie. He's proven that he is a dynamic playmaker with a nose for the end zone. That's not nothing.
I don't get all this angst with WAtson so quickly, it is quite common for players like him to pull hammys or Groin pulls early in camp, I think it's a bit early to label him as some sort of chronic injury player.

when healthy WAtson dominated, I expect he'll do so again this season

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
09 Sep 2023 07:35
YoHoChecko wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

I don't get all this angst with WAtson so quickly, it is quite common for players like him to pull hammys or Groin pulls early in camp, I think it's a bit early to label him as some sort of chronic injury player.

For a young player like him to keep having hammy issues is concerning. I don't care how fast and dynamic you are you can't help your team in street clothes on the sidelines. Let's hope the others step up...

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I'm hoping our offense this year looks similar to the Lions offense. Heavy dose of running with a nice 50/50 split of run/pass ratio. Our receivers seem similar to the Lions as well as the o-lines. If Love plays like Goff we have a chance to really surprise people and be in the mix come playoff time. Hoping that Musgrave & Reed play as mature in the regular season as they seemed to be in the preseason.

This year is going to be fun watching, no real expectations, just watch the young guys develop. I really believe that Love sitting for 3 years will once again prove to the NFL that our formula for raising QBs is the best model.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

packman114 wrote:
09 Sep 2023 09:21
I'm hoping our offense this year looks similar to the Lions offense. Heavy dose of running with a nice 50/50 split of run/pass ratio. Our receivers seem similar to the Lions as well as the o-lines. If Love plays like Goff we have a chance to really surprise people and be in the mix come playoff time. Hoping that Musgrave & Reed play as mature in the regular season as they seemed to be in the preseason.

This year is going to be fun watching, no real expectations, just watch the young guys develop. I really believe that Love sitting for 3 years will once again prove to the NFL that our formula for raising QBs is the best model.
The Lions that just toughed out 14 whole points against a middle-of-the-road defense missing their best player (and a top rotational D-lineman next to him)?

I want to look nothing like that.

But yes, I do want to see a good running game and a plan to make it as easy as possible for our first-time starting QB

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pugger wrote:
09 Sep 2023 08:51
For a young player like him to keep having hammy issues is concerning. I don't care how fast and dynamic you are you can't help your team in street clothes on the sidelines. Let's hope the others step up...
With 3 of the 6 WRs on the roster nursing hamstring injuries during the week leading up to practice (Wicks was limited in a return from his, up to healthy; Doubs missed half the week and then was limited in his return; Watson was out), it may say a lot more about our training staff than it does about our players.

MLF acknowledged as much in his presser yesterday

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
09 Sep 2023 08:51
Yoop wrote:
09 Sep 2023 07:35
YoHoChecko wrote:

we are the worst team in the league for Hamstring injuries, at least right now according to this article from SI, so maybe it's not just a WAtson issue, though this is two yrs straight he's had early season ham issues, same with Doubs I think.
Hopefully Matt is right and Watkins continues with a quick recovery.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/pac ... hamstrings

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

The parts you say about play making are true enough. Easy to agree with that. But the availability is a big deal. Here’s hoping that his two injuries in 18 games is not going to be a trend.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

packman114 wrote:

Lion running game features many looks from the OLine. Packer running game might not be as diverse, but still good.

Lion passing game is about play-action. That’s half of what keeps Goff so clean. Our passing game (and running game too) is about similar looks with a variety of motion, to keep the defense guessing. That’s why it is suited for young QBs who are still growing in their ability.

Lions WR group has St. Brown. But I’m not convinced their other guys are special. They look good because Goff is doing well. Our WR group has more talent overall but hasn’t had as many opportunities in their youth to show what they can do.

Packers WILL be in the playoff mix.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Sep 2023 09:48
packman114 wrote:

The Lions that just toughed out 14 whole points against a middle-of-the-road defense missing their best player (and a top rotational D-lineman next to him)?

But yes, I do want to see a good running game and a plan to make it as easy as possible for our first-time starting QB
Man YoHo, it was the first game and both offenses looked sketchy. I did say "similar" and was talking about concepts. I think Ben Johnson is playing to Goff's strengths by staying committed to the run. I believe that is MLFs preference but with Rodgers he never got to use his true offense. I'm hoping he does now and that will help Love develop into a pro-bowl QB.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

packman114 wrote:
09 Sep 2023 13:20
YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Sep 2023 09:48
packman114 wrote:

Man YoHo, it was the first game and both offenses looked sketchy. I did say "similar" and was talking about concepts. I think Ben Johnson is playing to Goff's strengths by staying committed to the run. I believe that is MLFs preference but with Rodgers he never got to use his true offense. I'm hoping he does now and that will help Love develop into a pro-bowl QB.
I still need to be convinced that LaCoach's "true" offense will be anything special. Just sayin'.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
09 Sep 2023 14:56
I still need to be convinced that LaCoach's "true" offense will be anything special. Just sayin'.
Well MLF's hybrid offense was by far the best Aaron Rodgers has done since 2011, so I'm not sure why there's so much skepticism and credit given to the QB, given that MLF has coached many QBs to their career bests.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Sep 2023 17:01
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Well MLF's hybrid offense was by far the best Aaron Rodgers has done since 2011, so I'm not sure why there's so much skepticism and credit given to the QB, given that MLF has coached many QBs to their career bests.
I'll believe it when I see it YoHo. 3/5ths of our offensive line may not have what it takes either. Admittedly crafty play calling could shut down my skepticism. Would be cool to see some kickoffs and punts run back for TDs! Gotta maintain field position. How about some forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, and interceptions? I sure hope Jaire is ready to play like the All-Pro that he is. High hopes for Valentine as well. :woohoo:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

YoHoChecko wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:
I stand corrected. He has proven some things. He has proven he is fast. He has also proven he has suspect hands and is injury prone.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Sep 2023 17:01
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
This.

If Love doesn’t play well under MLF, it would be a digression to the mean!
:-)

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Another angle to consider. If Love doesn't play well under LaCoach then there must be something wrong with LaCoach. Gutey too.
I'd assume the recent 13-3 records and playoff losses were one offs. Disappointing one offs. Like when Kaepernick came into the Frozen Tundra in 2013.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

wallyuwl wrote:
09 Sep 2023 19:11
YoHoChecko wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:
I stand corrected. He has proven some things. He has proven he is fast. He has also proven he has suspect hands and is injury prone.
Sure. Ok.

As a rookie, he basically matched or exceeded MVS' career high to compare him to another 6'4 mid-4.3 speed WR we're familiar with, especially when considering the rushing yards and TDs (80 for 2).

That's as a rookie. If he doesn't grow at all, he's already proven that he's an NFL caliber big play guy; that would be a massive disappointment if he doesn't grow it all, but if his floor is MVS' ceiling, he has proven something.
image.png
image.png (12.16 KiB) Viewed 280 times

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Sep 2023 23:50
wallyuwl wrote:
09 Sep 2023 19:11
YoHoChecko wrote:

Sure. Ok.

As a rookie, he basically matched or exceeded MVS' career high to compare him to another 6'4 mid-4.3 speed WR we're familiar with, especially when considering the rushing yards and TDs (80 for 2).

That's as a rookie. If he doesn't grow at all, he's already proven that he's an NFL caliber big play guy; that would be a massive disappointment if he doesn't grow it all, but if his floor is MVS' ceiling, he has proven something.

image.png
Watson's catch rate was also 10% higher. 62.1 to 51.9.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
3 TD's in 1 game does not prove anything? You think that was a fluke???

How about this? Are these all flukes? Is he playing soft or playing hard?