Thanksgiving Postgame: Packers 29 Lions 22

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
25 Nov 2023 11:13
Labrev wrote:
24 Nov 2023 23:48
I think Preston Smith is better than he gets credit for by the armchair GM fans, but I also think Mike Whale goes a bit overboard in his love for him. He's playing good football, but defensive MVP is a bit excessive lol.
Okay re-watching the game. Preston Smith did get screwed from a box score standpoint.

The dude actually had two Forced Fumble Sacks and Fumble recoveries. Both were on 4th down so it didn't matter as much as they were called incomplete. But his stats for sure got taken away.
Perhaps, but iirc Wahle called Smith the defensive MVP since at least a week ago, so I think he means Preston is the MVP of the whole defense, which is kind of silly.

Wahle is very old school, which lends itself to some good critiques of the Packers under Gute/LaFleur, but whereas lots of folks on this board underrate some of these aging vets and athletic overachievers, I feel like Wahle tends to overrate them because of how highly he values attitude, craftiness, and savvy (basically, players like himself).

There is more of a role for those kinds of guys than the Madden GM contingent of our fans realize, but at the end of the day, playmakers and athletic freaks are the ones that set teams apart, IMO.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Nov 2023 11:25

Give him credit for speaking the truth. No way that Reed and Watson should've been that close. They weren't doing a rub at that spot. And Reed probably was more blind to the incoming pass than we can appreciate. That was very good hands!

It's just amazing that either Watson or his defender didn't accidentally deflect the ball away. One of those plays where you have to think that stuff is just going your way.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
24 Nov 2023 13:31
winning shuts down the tank talk, we looked like we where tanking when we traded Sully, we look like where tanking with some of these injury's, Alexander seems to play when he feels like it, his absence seems like a blessing though, in that Barry can't play his zones, and is forced to rely on pass rush to cover for the secondary youth.

Even Greg Olson said Barry is depending on the strongest aspect of his defense, and it's working, Olson had a strong Detroit bias, but he sure nailed that point
I hear you. But I didn't consider the Sul trade as tanking for a moment. There was something else. Either they thought Sul was a distraction or they saw the talent in Valentine, or maybe both. They had ample reason to let Sul go and get some value.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
24 Nov 2023 14:13
This against supposedly the best O-Line in the league!

That's roughly 18 pressures from the interior of the DLine! Maybe the best game that unit has had in a very long time.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Nov 2023 11:46
Yoop wrote:
winning shuts down the tank talk, we looked like we where tanking when we traded Sully, we look like where tanking with some of these injury's, Alexander seems to play when he feels like it, his absence seems like a blessing though, in that Barry can't play his zones, and is forced to rely on pass rush to cover for the secondary youth.

Even Greg Olson said Barry is depending on the strongest aspect of his defense, and it's working, Olson had a strong Detroit bias, but he sure nailed that point
I hear you. But I didn't consider the Sul trade as tanking for a moment. There was something else. Either they thought Sul was a distraction or they saw the talent in Valentine, or maybe both. They had ample reason to let Sul go and get some value.
I disagree except about a possible attitude issue, Scott there is no such thing in this league as having to many good CB's, and Douglas was playing his best.
imo the reason these rookies are looking good has to do with them not having to look good to long, all CB's can be beat in man coverage, great pass rush limits there exposure, Valentine has looked the best of all these rookies, Ballentine is often beat, but passes don't come his way because the QB has little time to exploit him, Nixon plays tight often and is very physical.
I see pretty good back up ability with these guys, not so much starter ability, :idn: if Barry goes back to prevent, and allows the pass rush to decline, you'll see these youngsters torched, jmo.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Foosball wrote:
24 Nov 2023 20:44
To me, I thought that Gutey was “tanking” the team with so many inexperienced players on offense. Not necessarily wanting the team to lose but ok if it happens in order to get higher draft picks.

It had nothing to do with LaFleur or the team. I always thought they were trying their hardest to win with what they had. Love certainly didn’t walk into the same situation that Rodgers had in his first year starting.

So my hats off to LaFleur and the team. And Jordan Love’s leadership and his ability to handle a pretty tough situation with class and an unshakeable confidence.
I suspect Gute wanted these young WRs to develop along with Love and it seems to be working. :)

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Labrev wrote:
24 Nov 2023 23:48
I think Preston Smith is better than he gets credit for by the armchair GM fans, but I also think Mike Whale goes a bit overboard in his love for him. He's playing good football, but defensive MVP is a bit excessive lol.
Perhaps Wahl is sensing Preston's leadership?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Wait... Is yoop saying that pass rush is the most important aspect of pass defense... Again? ;)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
25 Nov 2023 12:02
Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Nov 2023 11:46
Yoop wrote:

I disagree except about a possible attitude issue, Scott there is no such thing in this league as having to many good CB's, and Douglas was playing his best.
imo the reason these rookies are looking good has to do with them not having to look good to long, all CB's can be beat in man coverage, great pass rush limits there exposure, Valentine has looked the best of all these rookies, Ballentine is often beat, but passes don't come his way because the QB has little time to exploit him, Nixon plays tight often and is very physical.
I see pretty good back up ability with these guys, not so much starter ability, :idn: if Barry goes back to prevent, and allows the pass rush to decline, you'll see these youngsters torched, jmo.
I agree with your assessment that Sul was playing good ball. That is EXACTLY why I think there must've been a lockerroom issue. To say they needed to get Valentine more playing time might not make sense because they can fit four or even five CBs into the rotation (at least after Stokes returns). Valentine was likely to get playing time no matter what.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Beautiful scheme. 3 Packers take out the Hutch.

Can anyone help me post this?

MOD EDIT: There you go. Board software doesn't yet recognize x.com, but it works if you edit it to twitter.com
Last edited by Foosball on 26 Nov 2023 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
Love is the answer…

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

That was another thing that I was greatly pleased to see. We seemed much better prepared to keep Hutch at bay. Part of it no doubt is Tom was 100% this time, whereas he was banged-up in the last one, and Walker also played better, but they seemed to bring help more and get the ball out faster than last time.

Love's internal clock seemed much more synced up to the pressure around him, whereas we played our last game with them as if we were expecting these clean and lengthy pockets we had been enjoying in the first three weeks, and kudos to Matt & Co. for however much prep they did to get it right this time.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
26 Nov 2023 09:45
He's just going through the motions on this one. Time for big Nate to pick up his game for the stretch run.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Nov 2023 13:12
Wait... Is yoop saying that pass rush is the most important aspect of pass defense... Again? ;)
NO, I'am saying that Barry has little choice here, he has to bring heat because our coverage ability is limited, he finally woke up that when ya give a QB, almost any QB enough time, they will pick apart even the best of secondary's

there isn't a pass rush that can beat a hot QB and several good receivers unless they have a free rusher, that has to happen because of tight press coverage, which is doubtful for our youngsters including Valentine to do consistently. :)

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
26 Nov 2023 10:25
Pckfn23 wrote:
NO, I'am saying that Barry has little choice here, he has to bring heat because our coverage ability is limited, he finally woke up that when ya give a QB, almost any QB enough time, they will pick apart even the best of secondary's

there isn't a pass rush that can beat a hot QB and several good receivers unless they have a free rusher, that has to happen because of tight press coverage, which is doubtful for our youngsters including Valentine to do consistently. :)
They didn't blitz a ton, though, did they? I think this was the Front 4 just dominating individual match-ups for the most part.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
26 Nov 2023 10:59
Yoop wrote:
26 Nov 2023 10:25
Pckfn23 wrote:

They didn't blitz a ton, though, did they? I think this was the Front 4 just dominating individual match-ups for the most part.
someone said we brought 5 on 14% of our rushes, I havn't re watched to confirm that though, we also used a bigger 4 man rush group 3 DT's 1 DE, or 5 with base front, your right we didn't blitz much that I remember, but we stunted a few times.

concerning our youngsters in the secondary, imo this is invaluable experience, once we get a safety, and starting CB's Alex and Stokes our depth is vastly improved, minus quality depth and it's so hard to over come a injury against quality offenses jmo.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Bringing 5 on 14% of dropbacks is considered "blitzing little"
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
26 Nov 2023 11:46
Bringing 5 on 14% of dropbacks is considered "blitzing little"
we had 3 down lineman ( DT's on most plays it seemed) dropped Smith, or brought all 5, thats not blitzing, that simply a 5 man rush package.

we blitzed on Owens fumble recovery, we used the 5 man rush group and blitzed Walker, so we brought 6.

Barry should have been doing this stuff all season, now since he finally is people support keeping him :thwap: