Defensive Coordinator Potential Candidates

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I should know better, but a 60+ year old doesn't usually seem to be adrenalized enough to lead our defense. I want a guy who can jack up any under-performing squad AND be creative in blitz/coverage packages.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I feel bad for him but pretty sure that was Al Harris' secondary unit that got shredded last night by this Packers offense. He, as the defensive pass game coordinator, had no answers. Guys running free all night.

Sure, MLF runs a great scheme and he's a tough opponent draw, but that performance from Harris' unit should quell any talk of him taking over for Barry, if Joe is even replaced.

Again, love me some Al Harris but he's just not ready to be the guy...yet. JMO

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Joe Barry is returning next year. Get used to it.

The question is which Joe Barry? The bend-dont-break-but-but-give-up-the-TD-anyway Joe Barry? Or the more aggressive Barry that we have seen vs the Vikings, Bears, Cowboys and before then, the Lions?

I have no problem if he has learned to be more aggressive and to be more unpredictable and to let the guys play to their strengths.

I also had no problem with the last 6 minutes of the game. The cowboys were going to get consolation points, that is all.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TheSkeptic wrote:
15 Jan 2024 07:26
Joe Barry is returning next year. Get used to it.

The question is which Joe Barry? The bend-dont-break-but-but-give-up-the-TD-anyway Joe Barry? Or the more aggressive Barry that we have seen vs the Vikings, Bears, Cowboys and before then, the Lions?

I have no problem if he has learned to be more aggressive and to be more unpredictable and to let the guys play to their strengths.

I also had no problem with the last 6 minutes of the game. The cowboys were going to get consolation points, that is all.
Returning, maybe... but as DC?
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Opening drive, quay walker covering Ceedee on 3&8, threw it too early and too hard, should have been an easy 20 yard gain.

That stuff just needs to stop.

We can get a lot of coordinators who get us these highs, I want one who will more consistently not have so many lows.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Might want to start preparing yourselves for some of the same candidate debates next year, folks...

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
16 Jan 2024 11:42
Might want to start preparing yourselves for some of the same candidate debates next year, folks...

Spun very carefully to really mean, we are glad we did not make a change in-season. The only way I can see Joe Barry back is if it is in more of a senior advisory capacity.

Read More. Post Less.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

NCF wrote:
16 Jan 2024 11:44
APB wrote:
16 Jan 2024 11:42

Spun very carefully to really mean, we are glad we did not make a change in-season. The only way I can see Joe Barry back is if it is in more of a senior advisory capacity.
This is my hope. I think Barry is a decent guy. I think he does know defense and how to scheme. I think he gets lost in the games sometimes. They have been playing well. But it's a wash rinse, repeat. Take most of the season to get it together and then seemingly do well for a stretch and I hope they don't this year, but when it really counts, falter.

I've said all year, we have the horses to be dominant and I still think we do. I didn't like all the hate towards the guy earlier in the year. I don't think that stuff is warranted for a guy that by all appearances is a good man, and is working hard. The product wasn't good enough much of the time and trust me I was frustrated and would like to see a new DC next year regardless. But frustration shouldn't lead to the more hateful stuff that was being said by a lot, not necessarily in here, but it was out there quite a bit.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
15 Jan 2024 08:20
Opening drive, quay walker covering Ceedee on 3&8, threw it too early and too hard, should have been an easy 20 yard gain.

That stuff just needs to stop.

We can get a lot of coordinators who get us these highs, I want one who will more consistently not have so many lows.
:aok:
Last edited by Yoop on 16 Jan 2024 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

You guys are funny. If the defense plays even “decent” against San Fran…Barry is def back. That’s Lafleurs buddy. He doesn’t wanna change the scheme up or work with someone else. Time to come back to reality.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Let’s all just expect Barry back next year.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Jan 2024 06:54
why? I ask because we have seen the good and the bad from the guy and most of it has been BAD, we saw how well his defense performed for 3 quarters against Dallas, then the intensity seemed to get dialed back and the Cowboys scored 3 TD's

when he dials up pass rush the secondary does OK, in fact at times very good, but once we lack pressure on the QB the coverage can't hold up.

basically we get rick rolled, opposing offenses take advantage of empty short zones, it draws down a safety or both and then we get beat deep.

I just want to say again, in 2 high safety zone it is easier to scheme mis matches, such as the all hated ILB's on WR's, ya can only have so many DB's on the field, situational football seems to be a foreign language to Joe Barry :idn:

I think you may be right, Lafleur may keep him on, but there are better DC that will be available.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Jan 2024 06:54
Last 3 games looking way better for him.

At the same time, he's done this every year. Turn it on the last few weeks. Bring him back, think he'll learn and improve and carry what's been working. Nope, by week 8, back to playing super off, bend don't break, multiple 200+ yard rushers.

What's that definition of insanity?

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

A couple of things:

Saying a man should be fired is not hating on him. Sometimes the best thing that can happen to a man's career is to get fired. But it is even better to learn your lesson and straighten up before you get fired.

I think we can take everyone on the Cowboys staff off the list of potential candidates.

BB is not coming to GB to be DC

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Seems Barry will be DC next year unless there is a total collapse of the D in SF. And the collapse needs to be scheme, not things like missed tackles. He still had a couple not so great schemes (dropping Kenny into coverage) against Dallas, but got away with it.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah at this point I feel like Barry probably returns; MLF seems very happy with how the defense is playing.

I could mayyybe see a little twist in the offseason where Matt keeps the job open for interviews and includes Barry, or Barry gets some kind of promotion to a consultant role or whatever.

But in all likelihood, I think Barry stays on as DC.
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

It's not that he and Barry are "buddies" IMO; I don't think friendship is a priority to Matt at DC.

I think the priority for Matt is subordination. I get the sense that Matt will not like the idea of a DC that will expect autonomy (what pretty much all DCs expect when hired by an O-minded head coach).

MLF would get visibly unhappy with Mike Pettine at times in Years 1-2, yelling at him on the sidelines, but Pettine would not change anything. Under Barry, LaFleur gets involved when it's not performing up to par, and they make lots of in-season changes, no doubt to MLF's liking.

I don't think MLF is ready to surrender full control of the defense to a DC, and I think there are few DCs that want to go somewhere that will not give them full control over it.

But yeah, gird up your loins for more Barry.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

If MLF wont turn the reins lose for a quality DC then we can expect the same crap we get with Joe Barry for most games we'll play.

we saw Sunday what we can expect when our offense gets a lead, passive resistance, he allowed the pass rush to dial it back and our secondary got roasted, and thats rinse and repeat of most games under Joe Barry.

I hope these last few games and any going forward this year is not the determining factor on the future of Joe Barry, rather he's graded on the over all season.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
17 Jan 2024 09:00
It's not that he and Barry are "buddies" IMO; I don't think friendship is a priority to Matt at DC.

I think the priority for Matt is subordination. I get the sense that Matt will not like the idea of a DC that will expect autonomy (what pretty much all DCs expect when hired by an O-minded head coach).

MLF would get visibly unhappy with Mike Pettine at times in Years 1-2, yelling at him on the sidelines, but Pettine would not change anything. Under Barry, LaFleur gets involved when it's not performing up to par, and they make lots of in-season changes, no doubt to MLF's liking.

I don't think MLF is ready to surrender full control of the defense to a DC, and I think there are few DCs that want to go somewhere that will not give them full control over it.

But yeah, gird up your loins for more Barry.
Is it that or is Barry not implementing the vision LaFleur has for the defense? There has definitely been a change in defensive philosophy the last 4 weeks.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheSkeptic wrote:
15 Jan 2024 07:26

I can see this, but it’s so so frustrating because, like, it was a really obvious shift that everyone was crowing about for several weeks and months and he refused to change.

So if things changed, and it really was that simple, the question is WHY/HOW DID WE DO WHAT WE DID FOR SO LONG?!?

It’s almost like his success of late is a glaring indictment of how poorly he used our resources earlier in the year