2020 General Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

How does everyone plan on watching the draft?

ESPN, NFLN, some YouTube channel? Other?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
17 Apr 2020 07:27

Don't know, has anything changed? Still the same days, times, format for picks? I wouldn't doubt I bring up some coverage on the computer so I can have that side by side with twitter and of course Packers-Huddle.com!
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I bounce from nfln to espn and back with commercials, and stay with one or the other when it's close to our pick, with Ted you could expect a DL in the first or 2nd.

to me this seems like a very good draft class, not just in round one, rounds 2 and 3 should be very interesting to, OL, WR class seems stocked well into the 3rd round, same with 2 down lbers, so we should be able to fill some weak spots.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

This is a very bad TE class though.

Word is, if Sternberger were in this draft class, he would be the top TE on the board.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Gut feeling we go with some combination of RB/WR/OL in the first 3 rounds.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Apr 2020 09:33
Gut feeling we go with some combination of RB/WR/OL in the first 3 rounds.

I would be very okay with this. I would then like to sign a vet DT *Snacks Harrison* to supplement our Dline.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, that makes total sense; not only are scouts and GMs not getting the exposure to gauge each other's interest, but the media is getting much less exposure to those guys, as well. I think it's gonna be wild

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Apr 2020 10:09
Yeah, that makes total sense; not only are scouts and GMs not getting the exposure to gauge each other's interest, but the media is getting much less exposure to those guys, as well. I think it's gonna be wild
Let's get some bolder predictions, then!!

:aok:

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
I think the bigger thing that Jeremiah said is that the GMs/Scouts aren't around each other to form a consensus. Besides maybe Pro Days, I don't think the GMs/Scouts are too limited in their exposure.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
17 Apr 2020 10:13
YoHoChecko wrote:
Let's get some bolder predictions, then!!

:aok:
I feel like I noticed this last year too. I think it has a lot to do with Mike Mayock. He was actually really good and also really connected. People would deviate from him, but then everyone would kind of eventually drift back in his direction. Now we have a lot of uniformed voices and a lot of groupthink going on.

I’m excited for this, still working through my WR rankings hard, but with this news, more likely to just rank em as I see em without a ton of regard for their overall ranks.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Also, that McGinn rankings are also kind of worthless. Just a hand full scouts ranking guys. I would imagine most are packer scouts given McGinns background. 25 GMs could just vastly disagree with those rankings.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
17 Apr 2020 10:27
Also, that McGinn rankings are also kind of worthless. Just a hand full scouts ranking guys. I would imagine most are packer scouts given McGinns background. 25 GMs could just vastly disagree with those rankings.
don't know why you would think McGinn is so limited to just Packer scouts, the guy has been doing this for 40 years, everyone knows who Bob McGinn is, I bet he's made a 1000 phones calls in the last 3 months, and his mock drafts of years past where always pretty close, so he knows or at least use to know what most GM's where thinking and the players they would want to take, I doubt thats changed to much.

this year could be different, right, but again, if this draft goes off old school, where GM have mostly just college game film to make there decision, then I would value McGinns grades even more.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Who is Bob McGinn?

:hide:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
17 Apr 2020 11:14
BF004 wrote:
17 Apr 2020 10:27
don't know why you would think McGinn is so limited to just Packer scouts, the guy has been doing this for 40 years, everyone knows who Bob McGinn is, I bet he's made a 1000 phones calls in the last 3 months, and his mock drafts of years past where always pretty close, so he knows or at least use to know what most GM's where thinking and the players they would want to take, I doubt thats changed to much.

this year could be different, right, but again, if this draft goes off old school, where GM have mostly just college game film to make there decision, then I would value McGinns grades even more.
I definitely don't think it's limited to Packers scouts, either; it's easy to make ties. I went to one combine in 2005 and had I stayed in the circles, I easily would have had Packers, Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, Redskins, and Colts contacts I could reach out to with simple questions.

But it IS a very small sample size of 17 people which is likely to be less representative in a world in which opinions are less uniform and less consolidated than in the past. It's not that they're useless; direct information is always good. It's just that they still may not be representative of reality.

For instance, I guessed that Lynn Bowden finished with 3 points in his standings due to one scout ranking him 4th, rather than 3 scouts ranking him 6th. That's speculation. But you can easily see how one of 17 scouts being ultra high on a prospect would have little to no impact on how the draft actually plays out. Also, since most scouts are regionally based, I felt like that WR sample may have been biased toward the southeast and big-12ish areas. But that also might be my prior biases impacting my view of their rankings.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If we went top 3 picks to offense. Not sure why PFF hates Dobbins in round 2.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
17 Apr 2020 08:17

Word is, if Sternberger were in this draft class, he would be the top TE on the board.
I am still not sold on Sternberger. With a better #2 WR on the field than what we had in '19, Sternberger might prove to be the guy....maybe! :bkw:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
17 Apr 2020 20:15
go pak go wrote:
17 Apr 2020 08:17

I am still not sold on Sternberger. With a better #2 WR on the field than what we had in '19, Sternberger might prove to be the guy....maybe! :bkw:
I mean there's no reason to be "sold" on Sternberger, but there's also no reason to think he needs to be replaced by another rookie, particularly in a weak draft at the position. Sterny's still a 3rd round pick with promising receiving tape, some good blocking development in limited year one snaps, and a year under his belt.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
17 Apr 2020 07:27

AFN unfortunately.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I expect 4 QBs, 1 RB, 6 WRs, 6 OTs, 3 edge, 3 DTs, 3 LBs, and 6 CBs to go in the 1st. Just my prediction on how things shake out.
Cancelled by the forum elites.