Pettine out - New DC is Joe Barry

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

texas wrote:
04 Feb 2021 03:11
Rant incoming. I thought of another name I would like. Jim Schwartz. I know he just announced he was going to take 2021 off but maybe that's just because nobody gave him any offers.

Anyway, I was thinking today about how angry I am that we keep losing the big games and how pathetic we are because of it. I'm tired of always sitting on the sidelines watching some random collection of assholes catch fire for a year out of nowhere and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl instead of us. Hate to say it, but I finally figured out what the feeling I had was, and it is distinctly the same feeling I had a few times in my college days whenever some other dude would go home with whatever girl I was hitting on at the time. Didn't happen often but man was that the worst feeling. And that's what repeatedly losing in the NFCCG feels like.

We deserve it more than these random clowns who come from obscurity, have one good year, and then go back to sucking. Antoine Winfield Jr. doesn't deserve jack &%$@. Suh, Brown, Gronk, and Brady are all just leeches who want to be like LeBron and go make a super team in Florida, and it's not right. Devin White's a good player but $%@# him. I'm rooting for KC purely because I'm a sore loser and I'm not going to apologize for that. I hope Mahomes beats the &%$@ out of them and denies Bruce Arians a ring again. He did nothing but choose to coach in a warm, sunny locale with no state income taxes.

So, because of this, I want a defense that is more than just tough- I want one that does anything it takes to win, including cheating or bounties or targeting or holding on every play or whatever. I'm tired of being humiliated. We've had a stigma of being "soft" for close to 8 years now and it's time to get rid of that.

You know how Detroit finally became somewhat respectable in the early 2010s? They signed a bunch of thugs and that's who I want. And the architect of that was Jim Schwartz, who almost got into a fight with Jim Harbaugh during a postgame handshake. That's the kind of spirit we need in Titletown. I want guys who would be in prison if not for the good influence that football brings. First person I'd call is Vontaze because he knows what it takes to be a jackass. And then draft some guys who are willing to take dives like that no-talent hack 5th string WR did against Kevin King on the scam PI call.

It's time to quit $%@# around with being family friendly and get some guys who know how to win by any means necessary.
No thank you, leave the jimmy the weasel in the cold.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I don't want thugs. I want confident, aggressive and talented players who are playing with passion and aggression.

You don't have to be a thug to do that. Adrian Amos, Z Smith, Kenny Clark, Jaire Alexander all have proven you don't have to be a thug to be an incredible defensive player.

15 yard penalties are killers too.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
04 Feb 2021 07:25
I don't want thugs. I want confident, aggressive and talented players who are playing with passion and aggression.

You don't have to be a thug to do that. Adrian Amos, Z Smith, Kenny Clark, Jaire Alexander all have proven you don't have to be a thug to be an incredible defensive player.

15 yard penalties are killers too.
just look how thugs end up, losers, they try and intimidate there way to victory and always end up facing tons of adversity, no one likes a bully, all they do is paint a picture on there back and everyone ends up ganging up to stop them, I hated it when it was allowed during Forrest Greggs tenure, Charles Martin was thought to be a fool, and he was for getting kicked out of the game and hurt the team for getting a penalty, it was the same with NO and Greg Allen, and look at the repurcushons that caused, no thanks, we need all the draft picks we can get, we don't need the team penalized cause we think goony football is the way to go.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I want a team full of players who hit like thugs, but are disciplined as a Navy SEAL team, and humble and unselfish as monks to take a hometown discount despite their All-Pro talent and Herculean physique, make decisions smartly as MIT rocket scientists, are pastor-like great community leaders, and greater teammates than Paw Patrol.

C'mon Gutey, that's all I ask! ;)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
04 Feb 2021 08:59
I want a team full of players who hit like thugs, but are disciplined as a Navy SEAL team, and humble and unselfish as monks to take a hometown discount despite their All-Pro talent and Herculean physique, make decisions smartly as MIT rocket scientists, are pastor-like great community leaders, and greater teammates than Paw Patrol.

C'mon Gutey, that's all I ask! ;)
I'VE BEEN SAYING FOR YEARS!!!! It's so obvious this is what we need and yet the Packers continually sit on their hands.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

texas wrote:
04 Feb 2021 03:11
Rant incoming. I thought of another name I would like. Jim Schwartz. I know he just announced he was going to take 2021 off but maybe that's just because nobody gave him any offers.

Anyway, I was thinking today about how angry I am that we keep losing the big games and how pathetic we are because of it. I'm tired of always sitting on the sidelines watching some random collection of assholes catch fire for a year out of nowhere and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl instead of us. Hate to say it, but I finally figured out what the feeling I had was, and it is distinctly the same feeling I had a few times in my college days whenever some other dude would go home with whatever girl I was hitting on at the time. Didn't happen often but man was that the worst feeling. And that's what repeatedly losing in the NFCCG feels like.

We deserve it more than these random clowns who come from obscurity, have one good year, and then go back to sucking. Antoine Winfield Jr. doesn't deserve jack &%$@. Suh, Brown, Gronk, and Brady are all just leeches who want to be like LeBron and go make a super team in Florida, and it's not right. Devin White's a good player but $%@# him. I'm rooting for KC purely because I'm a sore loser and I'm not going to apologize for that. I hope Mahomes beats the &%$@ out of them and denies Bruce Arians a ring again. He did nothing but choose to coach in a warm, sunny locale with no state income taxes.

So, because of this, I want a defense that is more than just tough- I want one that does anything it takes to win, including cheating or bounties or targeting or holding on every play or whatever. I'm tired of being humiliated. We've had a stigma of being "soft" for close to 8 years now and it's time to get rid of that.

You know how Detroit finally became somewhat respectable in the early 2010s? They signed a bunch of thugs and that's who I want. And the architect of that was Jim Schwartz, who almost got into a fight with Jim Harbaugh during a postgame handshake. That's the kind of spirit we need in Titletown. I want guys who would be in prison if not for the good influence that football brings. First person I'd call is Vontaze because he knows what it takes to be a jackass. And then draft some guys who are willing to take dives like that no-talent hack 5th string WR did against Kevin King on the scam PI call.

It's time to quit $%@# around with being family friendly and get some guys who know how to win by any means necessary.
I get what you're saying here but I don't think criminals are what we need per se. The crux of the problem that you describe IMO is that the team takes on the persona of their best/longest tenured players. I don't think "Zen" is a desirable quality for an NFL defense. That's why we need a Woodson-type personality to counter-balance. That 2010 defense was so well rounded. Woodson the vocal leader with Clay as the "enforcer" type. We need to somehow replicate that chemistry.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I dont want thugs but I swear if I see these players on defense stare at other players making tackles and not get in on it Im going to lose my mind. These guys need to have the mindset of rallying to the ball drilled into them. Too many times these guys just stand around and watch and the ball carrier gets forward for another yard or two or even slips the tackle.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, Schwartz is basically the correct mindset taken to a point of actually being bad/counter-productive. We can do better.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Feb 2021 16:37
I dont want thugs but I swear if I see these players on defense stare at other players making tackles and not get in on it Im going to lose my mind. These guys need to have the mindset of rallying to the ball drilled into them. Too many times these guys just stand around and watch and the ball carrier gets forward for another yard or two or even slips the tackle.
I also want a defense that dictates rather than reacts to what is happening out on the gridiron.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Ok I hear all of your arguments. I still want actual criminals. CMIII was always kind of goofy. I don't really want goofy. Woodson owns a wine company. I'd rather have Johnny Jolly-style players who own a purple drank or lean company in Houston's 5th ward. Ndamukong Suh qualifies because although he's not a criminal, he's a piece of &%$@.

The feared Ravens defense of the 2000s literally had a murderer at ILB and look how that worked out for them. 2 SBs and not only was he a legend himself, he shared his secrets with younger ILBs and now they're always good at the position in Baltimore.
Yeah but they're all sitting at home while the likes of Antoine Winfield Jr and Sean Murphy-Bunting are playing for a title. There is a quality our guys, however skilled technically they are, don't have. I just get the feeling that if the 2013 LOB would have started to get blown out at SF last year, they wouldn't have looked shellshocked like our defensive blue chips did, they would have started swinging punches instead.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

texas wrote:
05 Feb 2021 01:11
Ok I hear all of your arguments. I still want actual criminals. CMIII was always kind of goofy. I don't really want goofy. Woodson owns a wine company. I'd rather have Johnny Jolly-style players who own a purple drank or lean company in Houston's 5th ward. Ndamukong Suh qualifies because although he's not a criminal, he's a piece of &%$@.

The feared Ravens defense of the 2000s literally had a murderer at ILB and look how that worked out for them. 2 SBs and not only was he a legend himself, he shared his secrets with younger ILBs and now they're always good at the position in Baltimore.
Yeah but they're all sitting at home while the likes of Antoine Winfield Jr and Sean Murphy-Bunting are playing for a title. There is a quality our guys, however skilled technically they are, don't have. I just get the feeling that if the 2013 LOB would have started to get blown out at SF last year, they wouldn't have looked shellshocked like our defensive blue chips did, they would have started swinging punches instead.
We said the same thing about the 2009 Packers defense after they got blown out in AZ. Even though they had stars, they didn't have that "killer instinct" until they did the following year.

Our defense would have been lauded for having the "killer instinct" if our offense would have just done its job in the 4th quarter and caught the 2 pt. conversion and found the endzone at least once out of 3 attempts.

But I will agree with our lack of aggression. That has been a very frustrating thing. I don't want Kevin King back for the very reason that he watched Darnell Savage make a tackle vs Carolina rather than help him out and aid in the tackle. We need 11 hats on the ball at all times.

And I loved Johnny Jollly. But Jolly also cost us huge in 2009 vs the Vikes at home by picking a personal foul call on a 3rd down we stopped them on and led to a MN score. Jolly also then hurt us by dealing codeine and we then found ourselves without a Dlinemen indefinitely. We won a SB with Jolly suspended. We gave up over 50 points in a playoff game with Jolly in the lineup.
Yoop wrote:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Every team needs to exchange a rivals FG with a TD when their average DT, keeps a drive alive with a personal foul walking off the field. And there's nothing like hole created by multiple failures of the leagues drug protocols that says next man up when you are trying to build a stable team.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Cdragon wrote:
05 Feb 2021 06:00
Every team needs to exchange a rivals FG with a TD when their average DT, keeps a drive alive with a personal foul walking off the field. And there's nothing like hole created by multiple failures of the leagues drug protocols that says next man up when you are trying to build a stable team.
The problems with thugs is not only the stupid personal fouls. Such players are typically lazy in the off season, going out and partying and skipping the trip to the gym in the morning because they are hung over. Almost never are such players going to be in the film room watching their probable opponents on the opposing team for next weeks game. Plus then the refs are more likely to throw the flag on a teammate who is not a thug but was a quarter second late.

The Packer are not in the SB because of any lack of intensity on the part of the D. Their offseason has begun because of the O. And the O failed because Bak got hurt. Because Jones did not get the block he needed and Rodgers did not get the time he needed and because the O had to be adjusted to give help to the OT's.

The Packers did not draft an OT high in the last 3 drafts and they did not resign Bulaga (Bulaga had an injury ridden 2020 season) and it bit them. Just supposing that instead of drafting Josh Jackson, a couple of years ago, they had drafted Brian O'Neill.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
05 Feb 2021 07:28
Cdragon wrote:
05 Feb 2021 06:00
The problems with thugs is not only the stupid personal fouls. Such players are typically lazy in the off season, going out and partying and skipping the trip to the gym in the morning because they are hung over. Almost never are such players going to be in the film room watching their probable opponents on the opposing team for next weeks game. Plus then the refs are more likely to throw the flag on a teammate who is not a thug but was a quarter second late.

The Packer are not in the SB because of any lack of intensity on the part of the D. Their offseason has begun because of the O. And the O failed because Bak got hurt. Because Jones did not get the block he needed and Rodgers did not get the time he needed and because the O had to be adjusted to give help to the OT's.

The Packers did not draft an OT high in the last 3 drafts and they did not resign Bulaga (Bulaga had an injury ridden 2020 season) and it bit them. Just supposing that instead of drafting Josh Jackson, a couple of years ago, they had drafted Brian O'Neill.
great post.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

NCF wrote:
05 Feb 2021 12:34
Cool with *Leonhard and Evero. Barry, though...
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2021 12:39
Cool with *Leonhard and Evero. Barry, though...
Same thoughts.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Was hoping we wouldn't pick until next week. Very important decision, smart play is to sleep on it a few nights.

I'm all aboard the Leonard train!!!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
05 Feb 2021 12:56
Was hoping we wouldn't pick until next week. Very important decision, smart play is to sleep on it a few nights.
I figured they would wait until after the SuperBowl and possibly reach out to candidates on the TB/KC coaching staffs. There are a few potential candidates I would be interested in bringing in from that Bowles staff in Tampa (namely: Larry Foote and Kacy Rodgers). But maybe we're not interested.
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Surprised Leonard is actually getting serious interest.
Yoop wrote: