Green Bay Packers @ Arizona Cardinals - Thursday 7:20 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

wallyuwl wrote:
26 Oct 2021 18:00
With all the players and even coaches not able to participate Thursday, should MLF just treat it like a preseason game?
No.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
26 Oct 2021 17:55
Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Oct 2021 17:44
paco wrote:
26 Oct 2021 17:36
No but many reports leaning that way. They won't make a move until the last minute. Won't surprise me either way.
Is the deadline for activation Wednesday or Saturday?
My understanding is they can bring him back literally at any time. I would expect the announcement tomorrow. And we have room with two players on Covid list.
I know the Packers like to keep things hush hush, but you'd think they'd want MVS to have at least one practice before playing, right? Like, I dunno. I'm not ready to get my hopes up for an MVS return, let alone a successful, crisp performance in which he and Rodgers connect and he doesn't reinjure his hamstring.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
26 Oct 2021 14:12
APB wrote:
26 Oct 2021 13:52
Any tweets/coverage on what Bahk is doing this week?

I mean, I remember this past summer there were several informed posters insisting the recovery time for an ACL injury wasn't what it used to be. Well here we are, 10 mo (and counting) later and he still hasn't been activated. Either this medical staff truly is cripplingly safe when it comes to medical decisions or ACL injuries actually do take upwards of 10-12 mo recovery time.
I think @YoHoChecko was the loudest voice in all of that. He's not wrong. A couple of things have worked against a speedier recovery. First, the need to free up his roster spot early in the season meant staying on PUP rather than an active roster spot. There probably is some conservatism there, too, but generally, I think they felt he needed another couple of weeks to a month before playing NFL football and it was easier with roster constraints to just rule him out the first 6. The second thing is the schedule. Coming back to practice, we should have never expected him to be rushed onto the field with one week of practice. Next game, short week on the road... that doesn't make sense, either. I think if this game were on Sunday he would be playing. I will be shocked if he isn't in the starting line-up in Kansas City.
Yup, that was me, big time. I consistently said I'd be shocked if he missed more than 3 games and when he started hopping on the side of practice, I started gloating about it.

:thwap:

I do agree with NCF that the schedule isn't ideal, but if he was able to practice last week, he should be active this week, regardless of whether we had the short week, no live reps game right after. So if he misses it, then I'm even more wronger again.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Oct 2021 18:26
go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
My understanding is they can bring him back literally at any time. I would expect the announcement tomorrow. And we have room with two players on Covid list.
I know the Packers like to keep things hush hush, but you'd think they'd want MVS to have at least one practice before playing, right? Like, I dunno. I'm not ready to get my hopes up for an MVS return, let alone a successful, crisp performance in which he and Rodgers connect and he doesn't reinjure his hamstring.
According to previous conversation, there isn’t much in the way of “practice” happening this week anyway due to the short week and implementation of advanced COVID protocols. I suppose I can get behind them keeping their intentions hidden in that case.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
26 Oct 2021 18:29
According to previous conversation, there isn’t much in the way of “practice” happening this week anyway due to the short week and implementation of advanced COVID protocols. I suppose I can get behind them keeping their intentions hidden in that case.
Yeah, I was considering that. And to me that's a reason not to PLAY him, more so than not to announce early. So either way you read it... like "he should at least get a walkthrough before playing" or "he shouldn't play without live reps" I'm not ready to get my hopes up.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
NCF wrote:
APB wrote:
26 Oct 2021 13:52
Any tweets/coverage on what Bahk is doing this week?

I mean, I remember this past summer there were several informed posters insisting the recovery time for an ACL injury wasn't what it used to be. Well here we are, 10 mo (and counting) later and he still hasn't been activated. Either this medical staff truly is cripplingly safe when it comes to medical decisions or ACL injuries actually do take upwards of 10-12 mo recovery time.
I think @YoHoChecko was the loudest voice in all of that. He's not wrong. A couple of things have worked against a speedier recovery. First, the need to free up his roster spot early in the season meant staying on PUP rather than an active roster spot. There probably is some conservatism there, too, but generally, I think they felt he needed another couple of weeks to a month before playing NFL football and it was easier with roster constraints to just rule him out the first 6. The second thing is the schedule. Coming back to practice, we should have never expected him to be rushed onto the field with one week of practice. Next game, short week on the road... that doesn't make sense, either. I think if this game were on Sunday he would be playing. I will be shocked if he isn't in the starting line-up in Kansas City.
Yup, that was me, big time. I consistently said I'd be shocked if he missed more than 3 games and when he started hopping on the side of practice, I started gloating about it.

I do agree with NCF that the schedule isn't ideal, but if he was able to practice last week, he should be active this week, regardless of whether we had the short week, no live reps game right after. So if he misses it, then I'm even more wronger again.
In your defense, I do think it is more the overly cautious Packer training staff that is holding him up. I also think you were right in your previous assertion in the general sense of recovery time being reduced. Packers gonna Packers though.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

MVS doesn’t have a single season in the NFL with over 700 yards receiving, and that’s with playing in an offense that puts their best corner and maybe someone else on Adams every play, and then looks to cover Aaron Jones next.

I wouldn’t expect that same person to save us just coming off injury while being the top person a defense needs to pay attention to.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Oct 2021 18:36
MVS doesn’t have a single season in the NFL with over 700 yards receiving, and that’s with playing in an offense that puts their best corner and maybe someone else on Adams every play, and then looks to cover Aaron Jones next.

I wouldn’t expect that same person to save us just coming off injury while being the top person a defense needs to pay attention to.
Not saying MVS is an All Pro talent, and his worst ability is availability, but maybe some of this is AR focusing on Adams so much?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
26 Oct 2021 18:33
YoHoChecko wrote:
NCF wrote:

In your defense, I do think it is more the overly cautious Packer training staff that is holding him up. I also think you were right in your previous assertion in the general sense of recovery time being reduced. Packers gonna Packers though.
Not sure about the TL for other 300+ lb men, but I think the timeline for someone of Bahks weight and size may be longer than someone 180ish pounds.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
26 Oct 2021 18:38
Drj820 wrote:
26 Oct 2021 18:36

Not saying MVS is an All Pro talent, and his worst ability is availability, but maybe some of this is AR focusing on Adams so much?
I don’t really think so. MVS has given us hope of late, but most of his career he has been a one trick pony (go route), and he really only caught about 50% of the balls thrown to him even if they were perfect balls and hit him in the hands.

Then for whatever reason all year long he and Rodgers just can’t seem to get on the same page.

Im not saying he won’t help us Thursday, just saying I wouldn’t expect a guy who already had trouble connecting with Rodgers to save us. Especially when the guy hasn’t practiced in over a month and will be getting more attention from the D than he has ever gotten in his career.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Oct 2021 18:42
Im not saying he won’t help us Thursday, just saying I wouldn’t expect a guy who already had trouble connecting with Rodgers to save us. Especially when the guy hasn’t practiced in over a month and will be getting more attention from the D than he has ever gotten in his career.
That's how he helps us. The Cardinals will be forced to pay attention to the fast guy who is a big play threat more than if he isn't there. He helps immensely by being an NFL #2/3 instead of an NFL #4/5 in terms of how teams gameplan. MVS' contribution to the team will always be more than his catches.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Oct 2021 18:26
go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
See. You should go the go pak go approach.

Have super high expectations going into the game (like Gary getting 3+ sacks) and then get super pissed and emotional during the game and make emotionally charged and sarcastic comments because the player didn't meet your expectations 1 quarter into the game.

I bet MVS is minimum 150 yards and 2 TDs.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

paco wrote:
26 Oct 2021 17:20
MLF said Gray will call the defensive plays.
I think this is the right move. LaFleur calls some wicked plays on O, and you don't wanna take a strength away. He can still give input on D.

As far as to treating this as a pre-season game, hell no! Embrace being the underdog! :box: This would definitely be a bonus win, but crazier things have happened.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The DL will need to show some rush lane discipline this week or Murray will chew them up with his scrambling.

So does GB assign a spy to Murray? And if so, who?

It would seem Campbell may be too valuable in his coverage and run stop role. Jaylon would be left holding Kyler’s jock. Playing a third safety seems the most logical but with all those weapons, dedicating a defender to Murray frees up someone else.

So what’s a DC to do?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
26 Oct 2021 20:54
The DL will need to show some rush lane discipline this week or Murray will chew them up with his scrambling.

It would seem Campbell may be too valuable in his coverage and run stop role. Jaylon would be left holding Kyler’s jock. Playing a third safety seems the most logical but with all those weapons, dedicating a defender to Murray frees up someone else.

So what’s a DC to do?
I play it normal and count on emphasizing those rush lanes and discipline. If I'm forced to adjust, I suppose I could ask a safety to spy, but to be honest, we don't really have a guy with the right skillset for that--the super fast hybrid linebacker type. Black isn't the right kind of athlete. If Vernon Scott had been healthy and playing, he might be an option to chip in, but he hasn't, so... yeah, don't ask people to do something they probably can't. Put it on the guys whose jobs it is to do their jobs and finish.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
26 Oct 2021 20:54

So what’s a DC to do?
The best defense is a a good offense. I hope we play to play some keep away. We don’t need adams bc we don’t need shots down the field. What we need is cobb to convert on third and shorts when he runs a 5 yard slant route. Then, we get right back to running the rock. This is the one game they can let the play clock hit almost 0 everytime and I will see it as sound strategy. I wouldn’t mind the entire first half having about 5 total drives to it from both teams combined. Then, after we take about 9 minutes to put up 6...maybe they come out on offense cold and never able to get in a rythym due to sitting on the pine for so long.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Prediction. I'll drink far too much during this game.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Without Lazard and Adams this might be the game where we run, run and run. The jet sweep is another option for us. TBH I'll be surprised if we win this one. We are just too beat up on both sides of the ball. I just hope nobody else gets hurt Thursday nite.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Would love to see them run the ball and a lot more jet motion. But now I'm worried about Dillon fumbling. Hope he has slept with a football all week.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

packman114 wrote:
27 Oct 2021 06:43
Would love to see them run the ball and a lot more jet motion. But now I'm worried about Dillon fumbling. Hope he has slept with a football all week.
I think he will be fine. Good thing to get out of your system before a game like this.

Read More. Post Less.