Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Nice EZ pick to keep duh bares from getting back into it. Definitely want them to get used to losing.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Cdragon wrote:
26 Oct 2020 21:21
Nice EZ pick to keep duh bares from getting back into it. Definitely want them to get used to losing.
Including tonight, they'll lose 3 straight and 4 of their next 5.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yeah bears getting exposed
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

If they get slapped around like this in the next 2 weeks I could see the vikes taking them to edge before we stomp them.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Cdragon wrote:
26 Oct 2020 21:46
If they get slapped around like this in the next 2 weeks I could see the vikes taking them to edge before we stomp them.
It'll be interesting to see what becomes of the Vikings. I was on the "they're garbage in 2020" train all offseason, as hard as anyone, but even I think they're more talented than 1-5. I still see the Bears as a likely 6- or 7-seed given the number of wins they've banked and some easy matchups down the stretch, but you're right that if the Vikings' young secondary shows any improvement, the Bears-Vikings games could be as close as the Bears-Lions matchup.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Are they going to give Trub one more shot?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Did anybody else catch that bit late in the game where the announcers were talking about when they chatted with Foles he brought up how Nagy wants to call plays that just don’t have time to develop and Foles has to tell him that there just isn’t time for it?

That was a low key savage comment by Foles haha

Foles degrades him in interviews and screams at him on the sidelines, I knew there was a reason I always like Foles!!!

That said, I’ve always said Nagy wants to run his vision and doesn’t consider the players and type of team he actually has. It’s why with that defense, he never commits to running the ball.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Oct 2020 22:31
Did anybody else catch that bit late in the game where the announcers were talking about when they chatted with Foles he brought up how Nagy wants to call plays that just don’t have time to develop and Foles has to tell him that there just isn’t time for it?

That was a low key savage comment by Foles haha

Foles degrades him in interviews and screams at him on the sidelines, I knew there was a reason I always like Foles!!!

That said, I’ve always said Nagy wants to run his vision and doesn’t consider the players and type of team he actually has. It’s why with that defense, he never commits to running the ball.
Has to honor his own genius. :rotf:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

“[W]e’ve got to get stuff figured out,” Bears coach Matt Nagy told reporters after the game regarding the offense. “It’s not good enough and to be outscored by your defense obviously is unacceptable, too. So, that part’s frustrating. . . . I don’t ever remember having our own defense score more than our offense. That’s hard to do. So, that part I don’t like, and that bothers me.”

This was in fact their whole strategy back in the Rex the wonder dog and Kyle Orton days. Get a score from the D or STs. Get one drive out of the Offense. Give the O at least one ball on the opponants side of the field. Win the game 17 - 10.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

How is it that franchises just can't seem to ever shake their identity?

Like the Bears are known as a defensive team and always have a great defense. No matter how much they invest in the offense. I mean they are all in on offense and they suck.

Whereas the Packers invest so heavily on the defense and yet they are always an offensive team.

Like how do identities form and why can't franchises make the other side of the ball effective even when they invest so heavily into them?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
27 Oct 2020 08:12

Like the Bears are known as a defensive team and always have a great defense. No matter how much they invest in the offense. I mean they are all in on offense and they suck.

Whereas the Packers invest so heavily on the defense and yet they are always an offensive team.

Like how do identities form and why can't franchises make the other side of the ball effective even when they invest so heavily into them?
I was just thinking about this, too, with our ST performance the other day. We always have a decent, respectable place kicker, but outside of that, you literally like nothing about our ST and it has been that way for a long, long time.

Read More. Post Less.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:

That is strange. Take the Packers ability to find QBs over the years and other teams always looking to find just one. Take the Bears and they're history of middle linebackers.
Same applies to other sports. Take the Mets as a example. They have always been able to find pitchers, yet they struggle to find and keep hitters. Usually end up paying big money in free agency for them.
Best guess is scouting and passing on traits and knowledge over the years to future scouts in the organization.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

NCF wrote:
27 Oct 2020 08:26
go pak go wrote:

I was just thinking about this, too, with our ST performance the other day. We always have a decent, respectable place kicker, but outside of that, you literally like nothing about our ST and it has been that way for a long, long time.
They haven't had a really good ST coach since Nolan Cromwell.
It's as if the ST are an afterthought. I've told friends for years, the LSU Tigers recruit some of the best athletes in the country, but very seldom recruited top notch QBs, or even middle of the road QBs. Even going back to the Matt Flynn days. He was in and out of the starting line-up in his senior year until about week 5 if I remember correctly. And yet, they always had outstanding receivers pretty much every year.
Look what happens when they get a guy like Burrows to go with all of those studs on both sides of the ball.
Last edited by Christo on 27 Oct 2020 08:47, edited 1 time in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Packers are the current NFC 1-seed

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Oct 2020 08:45
Yeah I was thinking how a tie breaker would work if the Packers and Seahawks both won out. I honestly I have no clue because we would have the same conference record and same record vs common opponents. It would likely come down to point differential or something. If it is strength of schedule, we likely would get it because the NFC West plays the NFC East and AFC East. However, they also have good records in the NFC West.

But the 9ers and Vikings do present a rare "common opponent" game. One we need to win just to keep pace and the other win could very well give us the tie breaker advantage.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

We will likely know who the front runner is for the top seed at the end of November. The Bucs and Seahawks have the meat of their schedule in November.

My hope is win these next two in the next 10 days could set us up to have a real shot with a 2 game advantage going into December on that top seed. If we have that advantage, I really like our chances with our December schedule.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
27 Oct 2020 09:08
YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Oct 2020 08:45
Yeah I was thinking how a tie breaker would work if the Packers and Seahawks both won out. I honestly I have no clue because we would have the same conference record and same record vs common opponents. It would likely come down to point differential or something. If it is strength of schedule, we likely would get it because the NFC West plays the NFC East and AFC East. However, they also have good records in the NFC West.

But the 9ers and Vikings do present a rare "common opponent" game. One we need to win just to keep pace and the other win could very well give us the tie breaker advantage.
It's a bit too early for me to think about "were we to win out" because I think there are far too many wins and losses along the way.

I'm just saying current, right now, season ends today, Packers are in the 1-slot, which is nice.

I think the Seahawks are not as good as their record. They have the weakest strength of victory (ours is weak, theirs is atrocious). I think they'll lose a few more games. I think we'll lose a couple more games. So right now I don't even know who I'd be looking at for tie-breakers.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think the Bucs are really set up nicely honestly. They have the guaranteed tie breaker over us and it looks like they are starting to gel as a unit.

It's just really hard to overtake a team when in the standings when they have a direct tie breaker of head to head. Best thing for us is the Bucs lose to New Orleans again here in a couple weeks. Similar to us rooting that SF didn't win that division last year.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

It will go to common games.

SEA
ATL - W
MIN - W
SF
PHI
SF

GB
MIN - W
ATL - W
MIN
SF
PHI

Looks like we have the slightly easier path.

Assuming we tie there, it goes to strength of victory.

As of now, we are 0.313, they are 0.281. Kind of surprised we are ahead with MN, Houston and ATL in the books already. Although they have MN and ATL as well, and Dallas and then no so impressive NE and MIA. No real quality wins for Seattle to this point.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

We play the Eagles. Not Dallas.
Yoop wrote: