General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BSA wrote:
09 Nov 2020 09:43
News trickled out this weekend that GB was involved in trade talks for Will Fuller AND for DT/NT Dalvin Tomlinson of the NYGs
I think that's illuminating on several levels. Glad they tried to upgrade at WR and on DL- and was interesting to note that both players are young and approaching FA in 2021. It tells us either GB was OK with lower cost rentals OR that they wanted/needed the ability to structure the 2021 contacts $$ to make it all work. So far as we know, the Packers did not go after any players with set cap numbers for 2021

Its also interesting to note that they went for an NT/DT type over a 3-tech type. That suggests they aren't comfy subbing Lancaster for Clark...and Clark is still counted on for too many snaps. Pettine wants to rotate him more, but the dropoff to Lancaster is pretty steep.
That's too bad we couldn't get a deal done. At least they tried... :|

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pugger wrote:
09 Nov 2020 13:03
BSA wrote:
09 Nov 2020 09:43
News trickled out this weekend that GB was involved in trade talks for Will Fuller AND for DT/NT Dalvin Tomlinson of the NYGs
I think that's illuminating on several levels. Glad they tried to upgrade at WR and on DL- and was interesting to note that both players are young and approaching FA in 2021. It tells us either GB was OK with lower cost rentals OR that they wanted/needed the ability to structure the 2021 contacts $$ to make it all work. So far as we know, the Packers did not go after any players with set cap numbers for 2021

Its also interesting to note that they went for an NT/DT type over a 3-tech type. That suggests they aren't comfy subbing Lancaster for Clark...and Clark is still counted on for too many snaps. Pettine wants to rotate him more, but the dropoff to Lancaster is pretty steep.
That's too bad we couldn't get a deal done. At least they tried... :|
It's impossible to know how serious these trade attempts really were, but Gutey is smart in leaking that they're trying (if he's leaking, could be the agents as well). As opposed to TT who didn't try or at least didn't give any indication of it.

I mean, I like a GM who tries to improve the team through all means, but has a cool enough head not to take bad value deals.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

BF004 wrote:
09 Nov 2020 14:12
Stop this, Russell Wilson was anointed the MVP award after week one. All of the experts said so, are you saying they're wrong?

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Pugger wrote:
07 Nov 2020 13:19
APB wrote:
07 Nov 2020 06:42
Labrev wrote:
06 Nov 2020 22:18
I don't think King gets paid. Not like *PAIDt* paid...
I agree. I think he signs a mid-level contract somewhere, maybe even with us. His play is decent but not top level. His availability is highly suspect. With cap shortages reportedly on the horizon league wide next year, I think he takes something short-term and modest and looks to cash in once the COVID-19 impact is over.
He's not a bad player but what good is he if he can't stay on the field?
Same can be said about Todd Gurley, and the Falcons threw 5 1/5 million his way. And while King has had injuries, most of them are the nagging types that cause him to miss a few games during the year. Nothing like Gurley's knee. He's played OK this year, he's no way near the player he used to be.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Christo wrote:
09 Nov 2020 14:36
Pugger wrote:
07 Nov 2020 13:19
APB wrote:
07 Nov 2020 06:42

I agree. I think he signs a mid-level contract somewhere, maybe even with us. His play is decent but not top level. His availability is highly suspect. With cap shortages reportedly on the horizon league wide next year, I think he takes something short-term and modest and looks to cash in once the COVID-19 impact is over.
He's not a bad player but what good is he if he can't stay on the field?
Same can be said about Todd Gurley, and the Falcons threw 5 1/5 million his way. And while King has had injuries, most of them are the nagging types that cause him to miss a few games during the year. Nothing like Gurley's knee. He's played OK this year, he's no way near the player he used to be.
Yeah, King's injury history does drop his avg/yr only a little, but he won't be able to ask for the top guarantees of a 100% health record guy. It's gonna be tough to afford him, and I hate it because King has become a more and more dependable CB when he's on the field and is a great match vs bigger WRs.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Christo wrote:
09 Nov 2020 14:26
BF004 wrote:
09 Nov 2020 14:12
Stop this, Russell Wilson was anointed the MVP award after week one. All of the experts said so, are you saying they're wrong?
we been propagandized :rotf:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

3 types of mistruths, lies, damned lies, and statistics. :lol:

Although I am flattered by that, breaking it down 3 of the 5 games that are in the top 11 are Vikings x2 and the 49ers who wasn't an NFL team when we played them. Maybe Minnesota is definitely better than their 3-5 record, but there 49ers were not.

Although at the same time, we have faced the 2nd hardest FPI based strength of schedule in the league to date. It is 31st the remaining of the year. So perhaps some validity to that as well. But whatever :P

FPI Rankings for your viewing pleasure: https://www.espn.com/nfl/fpi

Packers are 6 and FYI Jaguars are 31

Bucs 3
Saints 4

49ers 9
Vikingsx2 11

Falcons 18
Texans 23
Lions 28

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I used to think our 2nd half of the season was going to be a cake walk.

But then I was like, we got Indy and Tennessee who are top 7 teams in the AFC.
We got the Bears twice which is a top 8 team in the NFC.
We got the Panthers who are a dangerous team when they come to play.
We got the Eagles who still took it to the 49ers when the 49ers had their players and are still leading their division.

It's not completely cupcake.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yeah, Tennessee, Indy, Chicago x2, and the Eagles. Thems are some decent defenses there for sure.

Rodgers better get 12 TD's against Jacksonville, Carolina and Detroit if he wants to stay in the MVP hunt. ;)

On the contrary though, looking at pretty much all of those teams, does anyone beside CMac and Henry scare you? Henry might get 40 carries for 275 against us.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
10 Nov 2020 10:38
Yeah, Tennessee, Indy, Chicago x2, and the Eagles. Thems are some decent defenses there for sure.

Rodgers better get 12 TD's against Jacksonville, Carolina and Detroit if he wants to stay in the MVP hunt. ;)

On the contrary though, looking at pretty much all of those teams, does anyone beside CMac and Henry scare you? Henry might get 40 carries for 275 against us.
If we don't get into the top 8 defense for yards and top 12 defense for points by the end of the year, I think it will be very disappointing. These offense are not offenses that will blow you away. The expectation now should be holding teams under17 points for home games and 24 points for road games.

Although I will leave the caveat that if we blow teams out, there is potential for garbage time points. For instance, our win last week would have looked tremendously better if Samual and Holman didn't screw up their coverage and the refs didn't throw a flag on the Samuals sack.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Per Andy Herman, Oren Burks now has back to back games of having positive games. :censored: :eekout:
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Few random thoughts

Incredible job by Stenavich, Hackett and LaFleur fighting through the personnel turnovers and injuries and musical chairs to somehow make this the best group in football.

I don’t think it’s likely we don’t resign Bak; but perhaps more likely than it was 2 weeks ago.

If we somehow decide to just rock with Turner at LT next year, do you think he would demand and increased salary? Similar to what Jason Peters did this year? If so or a possible chance, that should probably play into the Bak decision as well.

I don’t know how we haven’t talked more about Lucas Patrick and forcing his way onto the field this season, usually at the expense of Wagner, then also big props to Turner for winning that RT job early over Wagner and forcing Jenkins back to LG and then playing above average LT.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, incredible job by all involved. I felt like regression at OL was inevitable after the bang-on job that Campen had done for years. I did notice an uptick in penalties from the unit last year. But Stenavich has been great.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
10 Nov 2020 11:15
Per Andy Herman, Oren Burks now has back to back games of having positive games. :censored: :eekout:
I thought that he had played well on ST's all season??????

I think (hope I'am right) that the defense is just now starting to actually jell up, imo it really does take a defensive player to perform on auto pilot longer then offensive players and if you have to think as a defender post snap, well your already late to dinner, so to speak, isn't that what we've been seeing much of the time?

I'am really impressed with this OL coach and the players, Turner has really played well at both Tackle spots and Jenkins can play anywhere, I hope we can get bakh back.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Alexander earned the Packers' first-half defensive MVP award in a landslide victory. Now in his third year, Alexander has become a true shutdown corner, capable of taking away an entire side of the field and forcing the quarterback to all but ignore a top target. Over eight games and 260 coverage snaps, Alexander has allowed just 16 catches, per PFF. Half of his total tackles have been considered stops (24 tackles, 12 stops). Alexander is the top-rated cornerback entering Week 10 at PFF.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-4- ... 10863.html

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
10 Nov 2020 20:14
Alexander earned the Packers' first-half defensive MVP award in a landslide victory. Now in his third year, Alexander has become a true shutdown corner, capable of taking away an entire side of the field and forcing the quarterback to all but ignore a top target. Over eight games and 260 coverage snaps, Alexander has allowed just 16 catches, per PFF. Half of his total tackles have been considered stops (24 tackles, 12 stops). Alexander is the top-rated cornerback entering Week 10 at PFF.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-4- ... 10863.html
What about the other Packers cornerback(s)? How do they rate?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

heres the top 25 according to PFF.
Jaire #1
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankings-t ... nfl-season

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top- ... ings-2020/
Jaire #3

couldn't find stats for players after top 25, only Jaire was rated top 25, it might still be to soon for PFF and the others to grade and rate all positional players.