General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

That's crazy.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I mean Bak, Linsely and Elgton already set that bar, but predicting Turner, Wagner or Patrick to be performing at this level 4-5 months ago, you would have been laughed off the forum.

Lest us not forget Lane Taylor won a starting role essentially over Patrick and Wagner.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
12 Nov 2020 14:11
I mean Bak, Linsely and Elgton already set that bar, but predicting Turner, Wagner or Patrick to be performing at this level 4-5 months ago, you would have been laughed off the forum.

Lest us not forget Lane Taylor won a starting role essentially over Patrick and Wagner.
I think we would be fools to not bring back Taylor again. He said he wants to play football and we know he loves the GB area. Makes no sense to let him walk.

But yeah Billy Turner is really making lupe look stupid. :lol:
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
12 Nov 2020 14:38
BF004 wrote:

I think we would be fools to not bring back Taylor again. He said he wants to play football and we know he loves the GB area. Makes no sense to let him walk.

I 100% agree on Taylor. Doubt it would cost more than vet minimum, just such a low risk. He has won TC starting gigs over Elgton, Patrick and Wagner the last 2 years.

Elgton and LG, Patrick at C, Taylor at RG, then got Runyon and Hansen competing next year, probably another draft pick. That would be a very competent interior for about as cheap as you can get.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
12 Nov 2020 14:43
go pak go wrote:
12 Nov 2020 14:38
BF004 wrote:

I 100% agree on Taylor. Doubt it would cost more than vet minimum, just such a low risk. He has won TC starting gigs over Elgton, Patrick and Wagner the last 2 years.

Elgton and LG, Patrick at C, Taylor at RG, then got Runyon and Hansen competing next year, probably another draft pick. That would be a very competent interior for about as cheap as you can get.
I agree. I think our team is ready for our 2021 interior. And if we somehow win the SB this year, I think it may be worth a shot to move from Bak. Save the money and try Turner at LT, keep Wagner and then draft a Tackle high in hopes either or Turner is the answer at LT.

I think winning the :lombardi: would make the decision a lot easier to use 2021 as a soft rebuild for one more crack at 2022 and 2023. Otherwise it just puts so much pressure on us if we try and retain this year's current crop of FAs.

And I am all in on Aaron Jones. We need to keep him.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

nice little article on OL zone blocking changes the last few years and the increased need for better blocking TE's, we are among 4 teams using the split zone blocking scheme of pulling the TE across on mis direction runs.

I think where all having fun watching Jones and our RB's gashing defenses, heres a little bit on mis direction and split zone blocking concept, short vid is informative.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/check-the- ... 06018.html

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

One comment on the OL and their fantastic performance
The MLF offense gets guys open quickly and AR has been getting the ball out faster than ever. A part of that is all the WR screens, that skews his time-to-throw stats. But overall, this offense doesn't necessarily need the OL who can protect for 7 seconds like we had in the past. That makes it soooo much easier on the OTs to handle the rushers and easier for guys like Jenkins to handle spot duty

So the question is: Will this style of offense influence how much Gute is willing to pay Bak ?
Bak has publicly signaled isn't willing to entertain hometown discounts
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
12 Nov 2020 17:21
The MLF offense gets guys open quickly and AR has been getting the ball out faster than ever. A part of that is all the WR screens, that skews his time-to-throw stats. But overall, this offense doesn't necessarily need the OL who can protect for 7 seconds like we had in the past. That makes it soooo much easier on the OTs to handle the rushers and easier for guys like Jenkins to handle spot duty

So the question is: Will this style of offense influence how much Gute is willing to pay Bak ?
I have been thinking about that a lot too.

I am leaning more and more that Aaron Jones is more important than Bak and our decisions should go that way.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:

Also to clarify, the lack of pressures and sacks could be attributed to getting the ball quicker. Absolutely.

But the win rate % is based on if an OL can hold their opponent in pass protection for 2.5 seconds or longer. So getting the ball out quick does not impact this stat.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

This is a good video of comparing Turner vs Bak.

Spoiler. Turner is not as good as Bak. :lol:

Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
12 Nov 2020 19:45
BSA wrote:

Also to clarify, the lack of pressures and sacks could be attributed to getting the ball quicker. Absolutely.

But the win rate % is based on if an OL can hold their opponent in pass protection for 2.5 seconds or longer. So getting the ball out quick does not impact this stat.
I think the key point is that after that initial 2.5 sec, Turner is less able to hold his blocks, and while Aaron is getting the ball out faster, obviously thats not a 100% on every pass play, also, PFF grades on strength of opponent, so we'd have to see who Bak and Turner have faced individually to form a more valid opinion, one thing of note is that more focus should now go towards run blocking ability versus just great pass pro as that has now taken on a higher priority then in years past.

just look at the teams our defense struggles against, all have dynamic RB's and great run blocking OL's, I'd like to keep Jones (obviously) but also both Bak and Turner.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Yoop wrote:
13 Nov 2020 09:05
I'd like to keep Jones (obviously) but also both Bak and Turner.
Then the running will game can be called Bakman - Turner Overdrive...Taking Care of Business and You ain't seen Nothin Yet
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
13 Nov 2020 09:05
go pak go wrote:
12 Nov 2020 19:45
BSA wrote:

I think the key point is that after that initial 2.5 sec, Turner is less able to hold his blocks, and while Aaron is getting the ball out faster, obviously thats not a 100% on every pass play, also, PFF grades on strength of opponent, so we'd have to see who Bak and Turner have faced individually to form a more valid opinion, one thing of note is that more focus should now go towards run blocking ability versus just great pass pro as that has now taken on a higher priority then in years past.

just look at the teams our defense struggles against, all have dynamic RB's and great run blocking OL's, I'd like to keep Jones (obviously) but also both Bak and Turner.
Yeah. I think you're spot on. I think our priority of FA signings is:

1. Jones
2. Bak
3. Linsley
4. King

I have King at 4 mainly due to availability. If you can't play, you aren't worth the money. Doesn't make sense to pay Kevin King so we can wring our hands over Josh Jackson still getting DPI calls.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

No FB, again.

Read More. Post Less.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

NCF wrote:
13 Nov 2020 09:45
No FB, again.
that's a bigger bummer than many fans realize. Packers drafted Deguarra to handle that flex role and it was such an important job, they grabbed John Lovett as a back up- just in case. Sternberger will have to assume some of those duties going forward
IT. IS. TIME

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BSA wrote:
13 Nov 2020 09:48
NCF wrote:
No FB, again.
that's a bigger bummer than many fans realize. Packers drafted Deguarra to handle that flex role and it was such an important job, they grabbed John Lovett as a back up- just in case. Sternberger will have to assume some of those duties going forward
I actually didn't think much of Sterny for that role, but that might work. I expect LaFleur will use Marcedes, too, but I think between those two, you don't quite have the flexibility that you did with the other two.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

My goodness.

Vitale, Deguara, and not Lovett all had major injuries at that position the last two years.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
13 Nov 2020 09:57
BSA wrote:
13 Nov 2020 09:48
NCF wrote:
No FB, again.
I actually didn't think much of Sterny for that role, but that might work. I expect LaFleur will use Marcedes, too, but I think between those two, you don't quite have the flexibility that you did with the other two.
I don't think Lewis moves well enough for the Hback role honestly. You have to be pretty quick to so you can ensure you can block a guy in open field.
Yoop wrote: