Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
17 Jun 2022 19:40
go pak go wrote:
17 Jun 2022 16:21
Surprised to see this.

image.png
What the what?!!! Why release him now?

If I were to wildly speculate, I'd say maybe he was not progressing enough? Or maybe he wants a legit shot as a #2 somewhere else?
Drj820 wrote:
17 Jun 2022 18:22
Dang i guess the team thinks Love is better than Benkert
You don't say!
Requesting an opportunity to go grab a true backup spot may be a good possibility.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

BF004 wrote:
17 Jun 2022 11:40
Drj820 wrote:
17 Jun 2022 10:04
To the crowd that takes Aaron for granted and hates on him whenever he isn’t perfect...i always say...”you would hate to see the on field product without him”
I just hate this comment and ones like it. Why is it 'hating on him' to make an objective observation?

Why can't one say Aaron made a bad read or a bad throw on one specific play?
No problem with that but the problem is that people often say Rodgers did something poor when it was a receiver or oline.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Drj820 wrote:
Benkart probably looking better than Love so need to clean out the competition ... might bring in a kicker as third option to compete with Love.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
17 Jun 2022 20:35
BF004 wrote:
17 Jun 2022 11:40
Drj820 wrote:
17 Jun 2022 10:04
To the crowd that takes Aaron for granted and hates on him whenever he isn’t perfect...i always say...”you would hate to see the on field product without him”
I just hate this comment and ones like it. Why is it 'hating on him' to make an objective observation?

Why can't one say Aaron made a bad read or a bad throw on one specific play?
No problem with that but the problem is that people often say Rodgers did something poor when it was a receiver or oline.
I’ve missed you bud!!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
17 Jun 2022 20:36
Drj820 wrote:
Benkart probably looking better than Love so need to clean out the competition ... might bring in a kicker as third option to compete with Love.
Honestly probably so

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

IMO it is because the Packers are not keeping 3 QB's no matter how well Benkert plays in the preseason. And someone would claim him so there is no way he makes it to the PS.

The Packers are not willing to lose a young backup Olineman or one of their new WR's just to keep a 3rd QB. If Rodgers and Love both get hurt the season is over anyway.

Therefore, do him a favor and let him compete on a team where he can win a backup position.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

[quote=TheSkeptic post_id=97519 time=1655535939 user_id=87]
IMO it is because the Packers are not keeping 3 QB's no matter how well Benkert plays in the preseason. And someone would claim him so there is no way he makes it to the PS.

The Packers are not willing to lose a young backup Olineman or one of their new WR's just to keep a 3rd QB. If Rodgers and Love both get hurt the season is over anyway.

Therefore, do him a favor and let him compete on a team where he can win a backup position.
Benkert is simply a non entity as far as nfl qbs go. He does not matter in any shape or form. Swing a dead cat and u will hit the next Benkert. Next.

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

IMO, the Packers probably feel that Benkert isn't good enough to make another teams active roster so they could bring him back anytime necessary even from another teams practice squad.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Interesting comparison.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
18 Jun 2022 02:05

Regardless you want 3 arms for camp just for drills purposes.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:

imo thats not the reason a team keeps 3 QB's, I get the point of not losing a player to do it, but ya keep the 3rd one cause ya like what ya see and want to develop and protect that players future on the team, from others who like what they see as well and would like nothing more then to poach him for nothing. :lol:

obviously they didn't like Benkert enough to do that, but he could be back, we'll be bringing in someone.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Danny Etling is that 3rd arm at the moment.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
27 Jun 2022 17:37
TheSkeptic wrote:

imo thats not the reason a team keeps 3 QB's, I get the point of not losing a player to do it, but ya keep the 3rd one cause ya like what ya see and want to develop and protect that players future on the team, from others who like what they see as well and would like nothing more then to poach him for nothing. :lol:

obviously they didn't like Benkert enough to do that, but he could be back, we'll be bringing in someone.
Benkert talked about the release and sounds like Gute told him straight blank he won't make the 53 and the Packers wanted to respect his chances at making another 53 and decided to cut him now than in late August.

Benkert was pretty proud of how the Packers handled it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jun 2022 17:56
Yoop wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

Benkert talked about the release and sounds like Gute told him straight blank he won't make the 53 and the Packers wanted to respect his chances at making another 53 and decided to cut him now than in late August.

We will reap some good karma for that. Sounds much better than how we have handled some personnel decisions in the past, per reports. Good job org. Good luck Benky

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Jun 2022 18:38
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

We will reap some good karma for that. Sounds much better than how we have handled some personnel decisions in the past, per reports. Good job org. Good luck Benky
Good Lord! Was his nickname Benky? We hardly knew u Benky. God's speed.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

thanks, that slipped my mind, I think we've let others go early in the past for the same reason, great PR, why keep a player around who wont make this team, but could make another if given time to prove himself.

I still think the NFL as a whole screws themselves by not grooming more QB, if I was in charge every team would get a free roster spot just to do that, most important position in the game, yet your penalized for grooming them, that seems so cart before the horse thinking,

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Jun 2022 19:31
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

thanks, that slipped my mind, I think we've let others go early in the past for the same reason, great PR, why keep a player around who wont make this team, but could make another if given time to prove himself.

I still think the NFL as a whole screws themselves by not grooming more QB, if I was in charge every team would get a free roster spot just to do that, most important position in the game, yet your penalized for grooming them, that seems so cart before the horse thinking,
Most of the nfl knows if a guy needs 3+ years to be “groomed” it is very rare that he would every be anything more than “not awful” at the position, and organizations know they need better than that to win Super Bowls. It’s a waste of time and resources to keep everyone with a pulse around in hopes they can become a star Qb In 4 years time

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Did Gutey get permission from the drama king to release #6? :munch:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Jun 2022 19:51
Yoop wrote:
27 Jun 2022 19:31
go pak go wrote:

Most of the nfl knows if a guy needs 3+ years to be “groomed” it is very rare that he would every be anything more than “not awful” at the position, and organizations know they need better than that to win Super Bowls. It’s a waste of time and resources to keep everyone with a pulse around in hopes they can become a star Qb In 4 years time
I just brought a list of about 20 QB's that took over 5 years to become a top 10 QB, many of the bust are the result of shattered confidence because they where forced into prime time to early, look at Foles, average, then got hot, won a SB, it is almost impossible to see a star coming, specially at that position, so no I don't agree that most teams can tell exactly how good a QB can be , was it a waste of resources to groom Rodgers for 3 years? was Thompson even at that point convinced he had a star in Rodgers, obviously not, he used a high pick on Brohm and a late one on another as insurance, it's why I defend Love when people say he's a bust, he may end up being one, most are, but there is no way anyone can be sure of that at this point

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
27 Jun 2022 21:05
Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Did Gutey get permission from the drama king to release #6? :munch:
obviously, I'd think Gute has learned his lesson and realizes who wears the pants around here :rotf: