Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

When we are trying to sign our own guys, I have zero interest in bringing in people who have high cap hits. Especially when it costs us draft compensation.

We can't afford that and I would rather find a way to keep guys like Bak or Aaron Jones over guys on other teams.

I like Quinnen Williams because his cap hit is lower than Dean Lowry yet is incredibly more valuable and higher potential than Dean Lowry.

But it's also why we won't get him. I'm guessing he goes for at least a 1 and a 2 from teams like us.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
27 Oct 2020 12:22
When we are trying to sign our own guys, I have zero interest in bringing in people who have high cap hits. Especially when it costs us draft compensation.

We can't afford that and I would rather find a way to keep guys like Bak or Aaron Jones over guys on other teams.

I like Quinnen Williams because his cap hit is lower than Dean Lowry yet is incredibly more valuable and higher potential than Dean Lowry.

But it's also why we won't get him. I'm guessing he goes for at least a 1 and a 2 from teams like us.
I do agree with everything you said, but I would just say that if you can spend a 1 or 2 and get a gurantee, it’s often worth it. Cap hit under Lowry and great player? A one or two maybe a great deal.

I fully agree about paying who we have before we look outside at expensive high quality vets tho.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

You hate to see it.

:lol:

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pass rush! Get after the QB!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Oct 2020 09:45
NCF wrote:
27 Oct 2020 09:39
YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Oct 2020 09:36
I like our chances on the road on a Thursday night against SF more than I did entering the season, but less than I did a month ago, but more than I did a week ago.
Quit flip-flopping and just get on board. A big win is coming.
:rotf:

But honestly, it's a lot less about us than them for me. I like our team. I think the 49ers are less scary as an NFL team than they are to us. But the matchups, the coaching relationships, the specifics of these two teams facing off--they still aren't incredibly favorable to us. That may be changing some, hence the flip-flopping.
Until the Packers can show they can handle the speed the 49ers have on defense, they're going to be second bananas.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

There are some bad teams winning football games.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Though I recall him making very little right now. Wouldn’t have hated adding him.

Quinnen Williams, Michael Gallup best two options for us given cap numbers, Gallup for cheap next year too.

Both would need significant draft capital to get.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
27 Oct 2020 16:11

Though I recall him making very little right now. Wouldn’t have hated adding him.

Quinnen Williams, Michael Gallup best two options for us given cap numbers, Gallup for cheap next year too.

Gallup would be an excellent addition. He’s a very good player but I would expect they want a high pick for him being a young player who’s talented. Probably a 2nd it they’re gonna at least want a 3rd considering that’s where they took him.

Again Quinnen Williams is going to take a lot to acquire and we don’t have many assets worth trading outside of picks.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Oct 2020 16:57
BF004 wrote:
27 Oct 2020 16:11

Gallup would be an excellent addition. He’s a very good player but I would expect they want a high pick for him being a young player who’s talented. Probably a 2nd it they’re gonna at least want a 3rd considering that’s where they took him.

Again Quinnen Williams is going to take a lot to acquire and we don’t have many assets worth trading outside of picks.
Didn’t know Gallup was on the block, I like him a lot too.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I don’t think he is, yet-ish, but drafting Lamb and signing Cooper, makes sense if they get good return.

No reason to trade a good player with another cheap year of for anything small, prolly not even a 3rd. But possible. He is very good, but I would be opposed to moving a 2nd for him.

Williams would have ~3.5 years of very very reasonable control, so with his ceiling, that is legit worth a high pick.

If he is legit on the market, I would not be opposed to making a big move for him. Helps us today, helps us in the future, doesn’t kill our cap this year or next, just statistically likely to be better than a late 1st rounder next year.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Gallup is really the first WR trade option I think makes sense for us. And honestly could make sense for DAL too as he won't get a contract extension.

So let's look at it from Dallas's perspective:

Gallup won't be resigned in 2022 and will be a Free Agent. Likely a mid-level free agent as he is currently a #3 option on a bad team. He had over 1,000 yards last year but he won't be close to that this year and likely won't next year. So Dallas is likely looking at a 4th/5th comp pick for him in the 2023 draft.

For 2020, Gallup is worthless to the Cowboys as they are likely done. Yes they can win the division, but they are at a lot of losses with a bad backup quarterback and really bad 3rd string quarterback.

So Dallas has to ask themselves if getting a 3rd or even 4th round pick in the 2021 draft is higher value then letting him play in 2021 and getting a 4th/5th round comp pick in the 2023 draft.

The fact they dumped Griffen for a conditional 6th means to me they are done for this year or they just hate Griffen. Gallup has produced nothing this year and would look like he doesn't fit. I think it makes sense for Dallas to move on from Gallup.
Last edited by go pak go on 27 Oct 2020 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
27 Oct 2020 17:23
Gallup is really the first WR trade option I think makes sense for us. And honestly could make sense for DAL too as he won't get a contract extension.
Gallup is in line to get double digit money. If Robby Anderson got 2 years 20 million Gallup will get that as well. I don’t think we can afford paying that much so it essentially is a one and a half year trade for likely a 2nd round pick.

I think logically the best thing to do is to build a time machine, not be a retard, not waste draft picks last season and get a WR to develop this season so you have one long term in a rookie deal who doesn’t suck.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Oct 2020 17:29
go pak go wrote:
Gallup is in line to get double digit money. If Robby Anderson got 2 years 20 million Gallup will get that as well. I don’t think we can afford paying that much so it essentially is a one and a half year trade for likely a 2nd round pick.

I think logically the best thing to do is to build a time machine, not be a #$%!@&, not waste draft picks last season and get a WR to develop this season so you have one long term in a rookie deal who doesn’t suck.
Yeah I wouldn't want to give up more than a Day 3 pick for Gallup.

Emmanuel Sanders in my mind. Last year, the 49ers traded their 3rd and 4th for Sanders and a 5th. I think Gallup is a better prospect then Sanders so he would likely be more expensive. I don't know if I could do that. I would maybe consider a 3. But likely not. We still have the unknown of what MVS and EQ can be as #3's and #4's once Lazard comes back.
Yoop wrote:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
27 Oct 2020 17:33
lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Oct 2020 17:29
go pak go wrote:

I think logically the best thing to do is to build a time machine, not be a #$%!@&, not waste draft picks last season and get a WR to develop this season so you have one long term in a rookie deal who doesn’t suck.
Yeah I wouldn't want to give up more than a Day 3 pick for Gallup.

Emmanuel Sanders in my mind. Last year, the 49ers traded their 3rd and 4th for Sanders and a 5th. I think Gallup is a better prospect then Sanders so he would likely be more expensive. I don't know if I could do that. I would maybe consider a 3. But likely not. We still have the unknown of what MVS and EQ can be as #3's and #4's once Lazard comes back.
If we want a SB push, I like the idea of trading for a 24-year-old with 1 1/2 cheap rookie years left much better than spending picks on a half-year rental older vet. 2022 may spike up massively.

Would be kinda silly for Dallas to trade him tho, but who knows with Jerry...

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

If the Cowboys were in any other division, they might trade Gallup and call this season a wrap. But they're like 2 wins from first place as it is, haha

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I am all-in for Gallup.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Anybody interested in Sean Lee? Coming off the IR and on a prove it deal has to be real cheap.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Cdragon wrote:
27 Oct 2020 20:06
Anybody interested in Sean Lee? Coming off the IR and on a prove it deal has to be real cheap.
Absolutely not. Lee is always hurt and is 32. Hard pass. Ill take the young and developing Barnes and Martin instead. I wouldnt trade the wrinkled up pokemon cards I had as a child somewhere in my attic for Lee.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Not at all, Barnes and Martin both look real and we got our own oft-injured vet in Kirksey returning off IR soon.

Pretty much just DL or WR for me.