General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

go pak go wrote:
13 Nov 2020 10:30
My goodness.

Vitale, Deguara, and not Lovett all had major injuries at that position the last two years.
Not enough Neanderthal in those legs. Got to start DNA screening the prospects. :ambulance:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
13 Nov 2020 10:34
NCF wrote:
13 Nov 2020 09:57
BSA wrote:
13 Nov 2020 09:48

that's a bigger bummer than many fans realize. Packers drafted Deguarra to handle that flex role and it was such an important job, they grabbed John Lovett as a back up- just in case. Sternberger will have to assume some of those duties going forward
I actually didn't think much of Sterny for that role, but that might work. I expect LaFleur will use Marcedes, too, but I think between those two, you don't quite have the flexibility that you did with the other two.
I don't think Lewis moves well enough for the Hback role honestly. You have to be pretty quick to so you can ensure you can block a guy in open field.
That was my point. And Sterny isn't really strong enough. So you can't play that traditional H-Back role. You have to do something similar, but different where Lewis is a clear blocker and Sterny a clear receiver. The 2-way guys are gone unless you want to move Tonyan to that role and play one of the others as the true TE.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Demovsky just said that Lovett has only played 45 snaps, 8.3% of offense. Not a huge loss. Probably a bigger loss on ST where he is the leading tackler.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

And now Paul Hornung is dead. F'in 2020.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
13 Nov 2020 11:25
And now Paul Hornung is dead. F'in 2020.
Crazy.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Is anyone else concerned about Davante's injury? Rodgers' presser made it sound like it was maybe more significant than people thought and that we was playing through a lot. Something to monitor this week.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
16 Nov 2020 07:05
Is anyone else concerned about Davante's injury? Rodgers' presser made it sound like it was maybe more significant than people thought and that we was playing through a lot. Something to monitor this week.
Yes. I am very concerned about it. To me, it sounds like it is a chronic thing that will be with him the rest of the year.

I really hope I am wrong on that.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
16 Nov 2020 07:34
paco wrote:
Yes. I am very concerned about it. To me, it sounds like it is a chronic thing that will be with him the rest of the year.

Didn't he come back in to snag a TD? I would be worried if he hadn't come back.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
16 Nov 2020 08:40
Shoot me now!

Scratch that, just fire Pettine.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Nov 2020 09:47
go pak go wrote:
paco wrote:

That is the only thing that makes me feel a little better. But who knows what pain he was playing through. And you know doctors. Wait and see I guess. But if he's out or hobbled, we need Lazard back.
RIP JustJeff

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Nov 2020 09:50
BF004 wrote:
Shoot me now!

I'm mentioned before, would the Packers move to a 4-3 defense next year under a new D-coordinator?
I personally would love to see it. Think they have the personal to make it work.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
16 Nov 2020 09:58
Pckfn23 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

That is the only thing that makes me feel a little better. But who knows what pain he was playing through. And you know doctors. Wait and see I guess. But if he's out or hobbled, we need Lazard back.
It's not that he didn't play. But it's more that he didn't really run when we had him out there. It felt he was more than a decoy.

He had a great leap. But I thought he was limping on the sideline and I don't recall seeing him get up to speed at all after his "injury". Add to that the Rodgers comments....I don't care if he necessarily suits up. We need him to be effective and his usual Adams self.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The loss against the Vikings, the lower stakes of the 49ers being a backup squad, and the underwhelming performance against the Jags has us on a bit of a 3-week emotional low in terms of hopes for this team.

But I'll say a few things:
1) We have seen this team perform toward its ceiling this year and can't ignore the possibilities
2) We're the #1 seed in the conference if the season ended today
3) MOST people expected 10-12 wins from this team, not 13-14
4) Our OLine has done a nearly unprecedented amount of musical chairs and shuffling this season

All this is to say that I understand the sense of negativity following such an underwhelming stretch. But I just don't see a lot of reason to change expectations for this team, and I see plenty of possibility to re-gain "that fun feel" we talked about earlier this season; that team hasn't disappeared.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
16 Nov 2020 09:58
Pckfn23 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

We definitely need Lazard back! Know ankle injures I don't believe it is too concerning, since he was able to come back. It may hurt like hell, but the strength for cuts is the biggest detriment. I assume since he came back that he still had that strength.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Christo wrote:
16 Nov 2020 10:00
Pckfn23 wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Shoot me now!

I'm mentioned before, would the Packers move to a 4-3 defense next year under a new D-coordinator?
I personally would love to see it. Think they have the personal to make it work.
I think scheme is irrelevant for the most part. Personally I am starting to think a 4-3 brings some advantages when it comes to subpackages, but all in all, it doesn't matter much because the subpackages are the majority play.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Nov 2020 10:17
The loss against the Vikings, the lower stakes of the 49ers being a backup squad, and the underwhelming performance against the Jags has us on a bit of a 3-week emotional low in terms of hopes for this team.

But I'll say a few things:
1) We have seen this team perform toward its ceiling this year and can't ignore the possibilities
2) We're the #1 seed in the conference if the season ended today
3) MOST people expected 10-12 wins from this team, not 13-14
4) Our OLine has done a nearly unprecedented amount of musical chairs and shuffling this season

All this is to say that I understand the sense of negativity following such an underwhelming stretch. But I just don't see a lot of reason to change expectations for this team, and I see plenty of possibility to re-gain "that fun feel" we talked about earlier this season; that team hasn't disappeared.
Add to that other position groups being banged up like RB, ILB, and DBs. Also Kenny Clark getting hit with the injury bug. He finally had his first good game after coming back.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Nov 2020 11:16
Christo wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Shoot me now!

I think scheme is irrelevant for the most part. Personally I am starting to think a 4-3 brings some advantages when it comes to subpackages, but all in all, it doesn't matter much because the subpackages are the majority play.
I guess we'll never know as long as Pettine is there.
Maybe my biggest gripe about him is, he seems to play his favorites over guys who are playing better.
I have nothing against Kirksey, I like him, but he's going to take way too much playing time from Martin as long as Pettine is
D-coach. I heard Martin only got 16 or 17 snaps yesterday, that's crazy stupid.
And I really don't buy into the excuse, he's not very experienced. The Pack has plenty of guys who have the experience and still keep making mistakes, and they're still on the field. The name Savage comes to mind. Again, he let the receiver blow past him and the only reason it wasn't a TD is the wind held up the throw.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Christo wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Shoot me now!

It would hurt us short term to switch to a 4-3. Preston Smith doesn’t really fit anywhere in that defense. Maybe strong-side backer but it’s still not a great fit. Then you have Kirksey and Kamal who both probably make the most sense in the middle. They don’t have a true weak side backer either. I guess as things stand Kirksey would be best there and Martin inside.

Gary just dropped a lot of weight he would have to put back on to play with his hand in the dirt. I do think that’s his best fit. I think Z is better suited for a 4-3 as well. Clark can play in any defense. The rest of the interior guys are pretty average in any defense.

I’ve always hated the 3-4. I’ve been saying for years it’s a gimmick defense that takes a lot of resources to make it exceptional. Now that teams force so much nickel I think it’s way too small in the front 6 where you have these athletic but smaller pass rushers compared to the heavier defensive ends in a 4-3.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Earlier today I watched Rodgers' post game presser and he wouldn't elaborate on Davente's injury. I really hope it isn't something to be concerned about... :pray: