Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I'd like to see Love get some protection in the pocket so he gets to settle in a little, right now his interior passing, the over the middle stuff people seem to adore hasn't been that good, poor placement on some passes and almost zero touch, bullets mostly.

young QB's will always struggle when they are not given time to make there reads, our OL is Loves worst opponent

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Our OL pass protection was tops in the league until week 4. Love has about 1-2 pure misses each week, many of them to his left. Love's ADOT is still tops in the league for any QB over 20 attempts. He has shown some REALLY good things, but been inconsistent.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Oct 2023 14:50
Our OL pass protection was tops in the league until week 4. Love has about 1-2 pure misses each week, many of them to his left. Love's ADOT is still tops in the league for any QB over 20 attempts. He has shown some REALLY good things, but been inconsistent.
Completely spot on. Love will get better but he has been inconsistent. BTW, I really think he will be really good. He has shown plenty of ability already

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
according to the bunch at PFF, I give that site NO quarter any more, if you want to believe there grades fine, I question all there grades simply because they are wrong, I'am not blind.

we at best have been inconsistent, Love never knows where the free guy will come from or on what play, we suck at picking up stunts and Love has been unable most of the time at beating a blitzer, and as we know if ya don't burn them when they blitz or stunt, they will keep doing it.

yes I agree Love has to learn to pull that trigger, and not star down his receivers, read the progressions faster.

all the stuff we complained about Rodgers last year when pressure got in his head, and like last years Rodgers, Love needs to feel more comfortable in the pocket or this &%$@ will never improve.

and before you come back with some convoluted answer, know this, cheery picking grades wont expose what I just described, but all ya need to do is watch the games and watch Love, rarely will you see him composed in the pocket finding his 3rd read, usually that only happens after he scrambled, so please don't try and convince me that pass pro hasn't been a issue

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
04 Oct 2023 07:31
Pckfn23 wrote:
according to the bunch at PFF, I give that site NO quarter any more, if you want to believe there grades fine, I question all there grades simply because they are wrong, I'am not blind.
No, not just according to PFF, according to ESPN, FO, and others. Also according to the eye test for those first 3 games. I agree, PFF has become too unreliable to trust.
we at best have been inconsistent, Love never knows where the free guy will come from or on what play, we suck at picking up stunts and Love has been unable most of the time at beating a blitzer, and as we know if ya don't burn them when they blitz or stunt, they will keep doing it.
Not an accurate description for the first 3 games.
yes I agree Love has to learn to pull that trigger, and not star down his receivers, read the progressions faster.
It has nothing to do with staring down receivers or reading progressions. In the first 3 games he was reading his progressions well, getting it to the open man and generally doing all the cerebral things that you want a QB to do. His issues stemmed from some momentary lapses in his accuracy, especially when throwing left. Against the Lions, especially in the 1st half, Love wasn't taking the open man, something he had been doing in the previous 3 games.
all the stuff we complained about Rodgers last year when pressure got in his head, and like last years Rodgers, Love needs to feel more comfortable in the pocket or this &%$@ will never improve.
Not an issue for Love right now. He makes some inexperienced movements at times when he doesn't need to, but his issue, especially in the first 3 games was not pocket presence.
and before you come back with some convoluted answer, know this, cheery picking grades wont expose what I just described, but all ya need to do is watch the games and watch Love, rarely will you see him composed in the pocket finding his 3rd read, usually that only happens after he scrambled, so please don't try and convince me that pass pro hasn't been a issue
This just is just not accurate. Love was one of the least pressured QBs through 3 games and one of the most decisive. It is almost a complete 180 from the reality of the situation for both Love and the Offensive Line.

Now, let's talk week 4. Even during the first half I was seeing Love hold the ball too long. Without the All-22, it was hard to tell if it was him or no one getting out. After seeing review of the All-22, it seems in many cases Love was overlooking open guys, which was a departure from his first 3 games. While the line didn't do him any favors in week 4, he didn't do himself any either.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop what games have you been watching?

Our pass pro has been fantastic minus the 4th quarter in ATL and first half vs Detroit. Other than that, Chicago was downright ridiculously good and the Saints was pretty darned good as well.

Now our run blocking on the other hand has been quite poor.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
04 Oct 2023 09:53

Our pass pro has been fantastic minus the 4th quarter in ATL and first half vs Detroit. Other than that, Chicago was downright ridiculously good and the Saints was pretty darned good as well.

disagree, Love has faced a free rusher in every game, multiple times actually, only Chicago was he able to feel rush free and he performed, it doesn't take pressure on every snap to rattle a QB, specially Love, I watch him over throw, under throw and firing rockets that our receivers can't even begin to adjust to, I've seen him late to pull the trigger in every game we've played at times, just more obvious against Detroit.

again, I say it all the time, if a QB has to think about pressure it takes the focus off everything else, he will develop all sorts of bad habits, he will develop tunnel vision, he will hold the ball to long, abandon the pocket simply because he thinks the pressure is coming.

I tried to explain this last season because that to me is part of why Rodgers struggled last year, and I'am convinced it is what Love has dealt with this season often.

the biggest reason imo that NFL QB's fail is pass rush, it's kryptonite for any QB, specially young ones

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
04 Oct 2023 10:08
minus a look see did his production trail off? if not we should, then trade Gary for a 1st and maybe a 3rd. :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
04 Oct 2023 10:49
go pak go wrote:

disagree, Love has faced a free rusher in every game, multiple times actually, only Chicago was he able to feel rush free and he performed, it doesn't take pressure on every snap to rattle a QB, specially Love, I watch him over throw, under throw and firing rockets that our receivers can't even begin to adjust to, I've seen him late to pull the trigger in every game we've played at times, just more obvious against Detroit.

again, I say it all the time, if a QB has to think about pressure it takes the focus off everything else, he will develop all sorts of bad habits, he will develop tunnel vision, he will hold the ball to long, abandon the pocket simply because he thinks the pressure is coming.

I tried to explain this last season because that to me is part of why Rodgers struggled last year, and I'am convinced it is what Love has dealt with this season often.

the biggest reason imo that NFL QB's fail is pass rush, it's kryptonite for any QB, specially young ones
Your expectations on QB play is the lowest of the low and your expectations of WR and OL play is the highest of the high.

And that is fine. But I am starting to understand that your viewpoint is to have a JAG quarterback surrounded by elite talent. It is a way to build a team, but it is largely different than what most of the NFL tries to do.

You love the San Francisco model.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
04 Oct 2023 10:56
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Your expectations on QB play is the lowest of the low and your expectations of WR and OL play is the highest of the high.

And that is fine. But I am starting to understand that your viewpoint is to have a JAG quarterback surrounded by elite talent. It is a way to build a team, but it is largely different than what most of the NFL tries to do.

see I consider myself as a realest, after years of watching young QB's struggle and fail, the biggest reason is pass rush, just look at the QB's that have problems, typically it's because of poor pass pro, Chicago is such a great example to use, they've went through a 100 QB's and never seem to understand why, and that was who we where for the most part of the 70's and 80's, we blame all those QB's when half the time they where running for there lives.
the more a player has to think while playing this game, the bigger chance that they will fail at the task, so when they have to worry where the rusher will come from, common sense tells me the harder it will be for them to succeed, and that to me is what I've seen most of the time with Love this year, we have to improve our OL, either with better health or a trade, or in the next draft.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
04 Oct 2023 10:52
if not we should, then trade Gary for a 1st and maybe a 3rd. :idn:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
04 Oct 2023 10:56
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

That and live within reality and realistic expectations. The offensive line was great pass blocking those first 3 weeks. That isn't even up for debate. Were they absolutely perfect? No, no line ever is. It's up to the QB to navigate that and Love did. His deficiencies in games 1-3 were not due to pressure. That is simply not reality. Here are 4 videos to start off with that will help, for those that want to watch and learn:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
04 Oct 2023 11:17
Yoop wrote:
I'll have some of whatever Yoop is smoking. That's gotta be some good &%$@.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
04 Oct 2023 12:39
BF004 wrote:
04 Oct 2023 11:17
Yoop wrote:
I'll have some of whatever Yoop is smoking. That's gotta be some good &%$@.
haha, new that would get a rise out of people, :lol: just looking at the finances, If Gregory is still the Dog he was for the cowbells, why not take him at 14 mil. per over Gary who will want 25 mil., plus we now have LVN, Brooks and Wooden.

But mostly I just wanted to stir the pot :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Bears at Commanders this Thursday.

Bears have a mini-bye after. Seeing some chatter that Eberflus is out with a loss.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

BF004 wrote:
04 Oct 2023 15:30
Bears at Commanders this Thursday.

Bears have a mini-bye after. Seeing some chatter that Eberflus is out with a loss.
They've never dumped a coach in season. First time for everything. Maybe they can get a few wins and let their pick tumble a bit. :munch:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

According to one of the Andy Herman episodes today (can't remember which one), NY Jets are the only team whose OL is getting less movement in the run game than GB. Breece is getting screwed. Dillon too.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
04 Oct 2023 20:29
According to one of the Andy Herman episodes today (can't remember which one), NY Jets are the only team whose OL is getting less movement in the run game than GB. Breece is getting screwed. Dillon too.
Hall does have 210 yards on 32 carries.