Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So usual Packers trade deadline so far.

Bucs add people, Seahawks add people, 49ers add people, Saints add people, even the Lions are adding pieces.

Packers have someone test positive for COVID and the whole RB room might not be able to play next game.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

We have all read this book before. We will watch these teams add and beg as fans for someone, but it won't happen. Prove me wrong Gutey!
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
02 Nov 2020 12:00
We have all read this book before. We will watch these teams add and beg as fans for someone, but it won't happen. Prove me wrong Gutey!

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
02 Nov 2020 11:58

Bucs add people, Seahawks add people, 49ers add people, Saints add people, even the Lions are adding pieces.

Packers have someone test positive for COVID and the whole RB room might not be able to play next game.
Y’all don’t want to believe me when I tell you. This front office is perfectly fine as long as they make the playoffs so they can justify raising ticket prices. If they win a super bowl that’s an added bonus but it is not their goal.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

lupedafiasco wrote:
02 Nov 2020 12:15
BF004 wrote:

Y’all don’t want to believe me when I tell you. This front office is perfectly fine as long as they make the playoffs so they can justify raising ticket prices. If they win a super bowl that’s an added bonus but it is not their goal.
Not sure that's entirely fair. They probably won't sacrifice being a long term contender to win a Super Bowl. Doesn't mean no one is trying to win it. Just not at all costs. Same argument as always. Would you rather be in the playoffs every year with a shot at winning it all, or would you rather have a slightly better shot at winning it all once every 10 years and be out of the playoffs 5+ of the other years?
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I'm not real gung-ho on a trade, tbh. Offense is fine. Defense is not, but the issue there won't be solved by what we can reasonably expect to acquire right now... unless we trade for a better coach.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
02 Nov 2020 12:32
I'm not real gung-ho on a trade, tbh. Offense is fine. Defense is not, but the issue there won't be solved by what we can reasonably expect to acquire right now... unless we trade for a better coach.
I am in the same boat.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I think with all the creative ways to manipulate the cap we are seeing from teams that it is becoming a myth that you need to totally sacrifice the future in order to stack talent and try to win now. About the only team I see that tried to load up and failed miserably and now sucks is the Jags. Seahawks, Eagles, Saints, rams, chiefs etc year after year add a piece or two and never really bottom out. Good orgs can tear it down and build it back pretty quickly as long as the QB is in place.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
02 Nov 2020 12:26
lupedafiasco wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Not sure that's entirely fair. They probably won't sacrifice being a long term contender to win a Super Bowl. Doesn't mean no one is trying to win it. Just not at all costs. Same argument as always. Would you rather be in the playoffs every year with a shot at winning it all, or would you rather have a slightly better shot at winning it all once every 10 years and be out of the playoffs 5+ of the other years?
Not a single move made today to my knowledge was for anything more than a 5th.

And I’m not a advocate of sending a 1st or 2nd round pick or getting guys with large contracts.

But there’s moves to be made for cheap that can help. Small incremental improvements are still improvements.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

So what are these cheap moves that would propel this team to greatness?

What are these creative ways to manipulate the cap?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Nov 2020 14:23

Trade for Marvin Jones with a 6th and sign Brandon Mebane.

For next offseason, we could punt on the contracts of Kirksey, Wagner, and Preston to save about $16 million. Could extend Davante and prolly add another 5-7 million. And the big one, could always convert Aaron’s salary to bonus and maybe add up to 20 million. That having a rookie on a cheap contract idea will be worthless if he doesn’t play till year 4 and we have 40 million in dead money that year, lol.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Javon "Mr. Punchy" Wims was suspended 2 games. No word that the Bears are releasing him yet. Which they should.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
02 Nov 2020 14:28
Pckfn23 wrote:

Trade for Marvin Jones with a 6th and sign Brandon Mebane.

For next offseason, we could punt on the contracts of Kirksey, Wagner, and Preston to save about $16 million. Could extend Davante and prolly add another 5-7 million. And the big one, could always convert Aaron’s salary to bonus and maybe add up to 20 million. That having a rookie on a cheap contract idea will be worthless if he doesn’t play till year 4 and we have 40 million in dead money that year, lol.
:clap: :aok:

Personally would rather see Wynn active.

Jones would be great, but that is assuming the Lions actually want to trade him.

Kirksey, Wagner, P Smith, all probably good cuts. Provided we resign Bakhtiari. That right there may eat up all that savings. I would be for it.

Not sure we save a heck of a lot resigning Adams. He is going to want $20 million per at least and a SIZABLE signing bonus. That would be tough to work out and still be much under $16 million.

If we convert Rodgers' 2021 salary to bonus and prorate it, we are saving $7 million. Probably not a bad thing, given the fact that he is getting that money anyway.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
David Njoku would be huge. The way LaFleur uses the TE's so creatively, that element of speed could be special.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

John Ross is another that would probably be cheap. Is he a good WR? Probably not. But, a change of scenery may benefit him and we do now know, pretty unequivocally that MVS is a bad receiver, so it is probably worth a shot.

Read More. Post Less.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

NCF wrote:
02 Nov 2020 14:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
David Njoku would be huge. The way LaFleur uses the TE's so creatively, that element of speed could be special.
This is my number 1. Would love to have him.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

paco wrote:
02 Nov 2020 12:26
lupedafiasco wrote:
BF004 wrote:

It isn't fair. I have no interest in seeing the Packers spend draft picks on players like Zack Ertz or Will Fuller for 9 or 8 games when so many contracts are up after this season. So the Saints and Bucs add players, they're not looking for the long term. They've put all of they're chips in for this season.
They should add players.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

All those moves make a ton of sense. I'm still all about will fuller. He isn't breaking us this season. If this team believes they are missing that one piece to get this O to be unstoppable he is the option. Mvs sucks... Lets just admit that. He is nothing and that isnt changing. Fuller is good. Like real good. Adams fuller and lazard is nice with the Tes rising and jones back soon. KC won a superbowl being deadly on O.

I'm still for getting help on the dl. Actually I'm now in the fire MP camp but thats another story. Get fuller. And this team is better on d bc unlike Sunday another wr not named adams has a good game.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

NCF wrote:
02 Nov 2020 14:48
John Ross is another that would probably be cheap. Is he a good WR? Probably not. But, a change of scenery may benefit him and we do now know, pretty unequivocally that MVS is a bad receiver, so it is probably worth a shot.
I've been on the John Ross bandwagon for a week or so. Should be cheap, he can run, don't know if he can catch. But MVS has been disappearing again, shades of last season.
I didn't see all of the game yesterday, but was MVS even targeted? To lazy to look up the stats.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I feel like the NFL is trying to help us win some of these games coming up.

Go beat up a beat up SF team, let Jacksonville come to the cold.

Hard not to be a little excited sitting at 7-2.