Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
21 Jul 2022 09:14
Yoop wrote:
21 Jul 2022 09:04
name every receiver we've had since 2013 that ranked top 30? we've had Adams and one season of Tonyan, maybe onewith MVS ( doubtful actually) and top 30 is gracious, probably top 40.
Nelson, Cobb, Jones, & Adams. 2013-2016 were still pretty good. 2017-Present, not so much.
Yoop is a veritable Rodgers Excuse Machine. 14 years as a starter at the most impactful position in football, and for 13 of those years, someone else than Rodgers blew it. Not even once could he have done anything better... Everyone else should be held accountable, he should be automatically pardoned.

I sure hope I'll someday find a wife that will similarly blame any lack of success of mine on ANYTHING else but on me. :lol:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Just wait until Aaron Rodgers breaks Brett Favre's record for playoff losses. Would enjoy seeing that posted as Press-Gazette and Journal-Sentinel sports page headlines.

RODGERS BREAKS ANOTHER FAVRE RECORD

The pressure's really on to run the table now.

:hide:

Comments/Remarks? Questions? Prognostications?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
21 Jul 2022 10:07
Comments/Remarks?
Take your pills.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
21 Jul 2022 10:13
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Comments/Remarks?
Take your pills.
I was new to football in the last years of Favre, so am I wrong at recalling that Favre didn't have an excuse for every playoff loss like AR seems to have? I think there were years he didn't have the best coaching or the best WR corps in the league, but I don't remember there being a "yoop" in his corner, who would not place even a milligram of accountability on Favre. There were fervent Favre fans, but even they called bad throws bad throws.

Even tho Favre had bad games in some of the losses, he sure was loved and revered, as is Rodgers. I just don't think AR needs the excuses. He's a fantastic QB, a generational talent. No one blames the playoff losses all on him. Many just wish he had better games at a few crucial moments.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

In actual Packers News, here's Sal breaking the news that we have signed Sal!

TE Sal Cannella

Must be the first time ever the Packers have signed a 34th round pick :rotf:

SI.com:
GREEN BAY, Wis. – The Green Bay Packers signed one of the four players they worked out this week but it wasn’t receiver John Brown.

Instead, according to a team source, they signed tight end Sal Cannella, who recently was selected to the all-USFL team.

Listed by the New Orleans Breakers as 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds, he ranked sixth overall and first among tight ends in the USFL with 34 receptions, which he turned into 368 yards and two touchdowns.

Cannella played at Auburn from 2017 through 2019 and caught 25 passes during those three seasons. He went undrafted and unsigned in 2020. He was selected in the 34th round of the USFL Draft.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
21 Jul 2022 09:26
NCF wrote:
21 Jul 2022 09:14
Yoop wrote:
21 Jul 2022 09:04
name every receiver we've had since 2013 that ranked top 30? we've had Adams and one season of Tonyan, maybe onewith MVS ( doubtful actually) and top 30 is gracious, probably top 40.
Nelson, Cobb, Jones, & Adams. 2013-2016 were still pretty good. 2017-Present, not so much.
Yoop is a veritable Rodgers Excuse Machine. 14 years as a starter at the most impactful position in football, and for 13 of those years, someone else than Rodgers blew it. Not even once could he have done anything better... Everyone else should be held accountable, he should be automatically pardoned.

I sure hope I'll someday find a wife that will similarly blame any lack of success of mine on ANYTHING else but on me. :lol:
only because he's the first blamed around here for not winning PO games, and all you people do is defend the receivers and blame Rodgers every time one is open Rodgers didn't see, and it was the same with Favre, who actually did blow it big time in PO losses, again whether you care to believe it or not, I don't care, Rodgers has needed more help then he's been given, and has played well enough for us to have won a lot of PO games we've lost.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
21 Jul 2022 10:35
NCF wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Comments/Remarks?
Take your pills.
I was new to football in the last years of Favre, so am I wrong at recalling that Favre didn't have an excuse for every playoff loss like AR seems to have? I think there were years he didn't have the best coaching or the best WR corps in the league, but I don't remember there being a "yoop" in his corner, who would not place even a milligram of accountability on Favre. There were fervent Favre fans, but even they called bad throws bad throws.

Even tho Favre had bad games in some of the losses, he sure was loved and revered, as is Rodgers. I just don't think AR needs the excuses. He's a fantastic QB, a generational talent. No one blames the playoff losses all on him. Many just wish he had better games at a few crucial moments.
you call me out for defending a couple QB's that are and will be remembered as two of the very best we've ever had, I defend these people because I know how difficult it is to be a great NFL QB , you and the other dweebs here look for any excuse to expose any fault they've had, as though others don't have short comings, people just like you hated Favre in the end just as they do Rodgers and blame him for every loss.

I called out Favre and also Rodgers, what I wont do is cave to opinions from people like you.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

It would be one thing if Rodgers actually had good games in our losses and the team still lost, then you could rationally object to people placing a lot of blame on him. But no, his performance in these games has been subpar even for lesser QBs, so objecting to the blame placed on him is bizarre.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Nobody here is saying Rodgers is 100% to blame for any given loss; it's a team sport. We know this.

Yet the reality is, the QB position has outsized importance and has more of a hand in losses (and wins, by the way) than any other.

If anyone is guilty of not appreciating this, it would be the Rodgers Defense Force.
—Magneto

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
20 Jul 2022 17:19
Acrobat wrote:
20 Jul 2022 11:22
Yoop wrote:
20 Jul 2022 10:43

It wasn't just Collins or the defenses, we couldn't over come cover two coverage, we didn't have a running attack,so pass rushers didn't have to worry about us running, no short up tempo schemes, Rodgers had to sit and wait for the deep routes to open, which they rarely did, and the Giants pass rush was to good, he had to scramble or take the sack, we had a one dimensional offense.
Right, but you could argue that 2 of the Giants' TD's may not have happened if we had one of the best safeties in Packers history back there. Could have completely changed the course of that game and not forced the Packers to be so one dimensional in the 2nd half.
we had the 32nd ranked defense in the league, even the all pro Nick Collins couldn't fix that.

We won 15 games on the strength of our deep strike passing attack, I don't know what the ranking of ST's was that year ( probably at best average) the defense sucked and we didn't run the ball, our team was considered over rated and 1 dimensional.
My point is that with Nick Collins, we wouldn't have had a historically bad defense. It obviously was not going to be top 5 (pretty sure I stated that already) but it wasn't going to be number 32. And it most likely would have been good enough to keep the Giants well under what they put up at Lambeau in the Divisional Round and would have given us a much better chance to win even with some of the offensive gaffes.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

salmar80 wrote:
21 Jul 2022 10:40
In actual Packers News, here's Sal breaking the news that we have signed Sal!

TE Sal Cannella

Must be the first time ever the Packers have signed a 34th round pick :rotf:

SI.com:
GREEN BAY, Wis. – The Green Bay Packers signed one of the four players they worked out this week but it wasn’t receiver John Brown.

Instead, according to a team source, they signed tight end Sal Cannella, who recently was selected to the all-USFL team.

Listed by the New Orleans Breakers as 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds, he ranked sixth overall and first among tight ends in the USFL with 34 receptions, which he turned into 368 yards and two touchdowns.

Cannella played at Auburn from 2017 through 2019 and caught 25 passes during those three seasons. He went undrafted and unsigned in 2020. He was selected in the 34th round of the USFL Draft.
Change Canella to Manella and he has the best name in sports.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
21 Jul 2022 10:58
salmar80 wrote:
21 Jul 2022 10:35
NCF wrote:

Take your pills.

you call me out for defending a couple QB's that are and will be remembered as two of the very best we've ever had, I defend these people because I know how difficult it is to be a great NFL QB , you and the other dweebs here look for any excuse to expose any fault they've had, as though others don't have short comings, people just like you hated Favre in the end just as they do Rodgers and blame him for every loss.

I called out Favre and also Rodgers, what I wont do is cave to opinions from people like you.
Funnily your attitude reminds me of Superman.

How Superman gets credit for every life he saves by using his awesome superpowers, like spectacularly saving a few hundred lives on a falling airplane, and looking real cool doing it. While millions of people just quietly die of hunger and disease elsewhere, and it's someone else's fault. As if Superman could not have impacted THOSE ones... :lol:

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Yoop wrote:
21 Jul 2022 08:49
last years SF loss should make this obvious to all, we had a great defense and lost because we ran out of skill position players, go ahead and blame it on one missed pass to Lazard, Lewis fumble or any other issue ( sucky ST's) that tend to happen in every game, ya overcome short comings like that when ya have more then just a couple good receivers, specially when one of em is your RB.
I tend to agree with this. I understand the desire to have an offense that is built to run the ball in cold weather. But it couldn't have hurt to have a WR besides Adams that could get some separation. My impression of Lazard has always been that he has good hands but isn't very good at getting open. Too many of his highlights are Rodgers threading a tiny needle, which is extra hard to do in subzero temps.

I'm starting to believe that the teams most likely to win Super Bowls are those which are void of any obvious weaknesses to be exploited. It's not as much about having one or two position groups that are dominant forces (sure it helps), but just don't have any group that sucks. Our WR corps sucked and we paid the price.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
21 Jul 2022 11:19
Nobody here is saying Rodgers is 100% to blame for any given loss; it's a team sport. We know this.

Yet the reality is, the QB position has outsized importance and has more of a hand in losses (and wins, by the way) than any other.

If anyone is guilty of not appreciating this, it would be the Rodgers Defense Force.
Rodgers can't throw and also run down and catch his passes, why don't you actually rewatch our 2021 loss, 5 or 6 dropped passes, Rodgers can't run the routes for these jag receivers, he can't block for Oliners who can't, yet all I here from YOU and others is how Rodgers missed a open Lazard, or took a sack, or any number of mis cues that happen to every other QB on a weekly basis.

I hope I'am around for post Rodgers, if you think you have something to whine about now, just what, it aint going to get better, what the Packers have are a bunch of spoiled fans, I actually was hoping we'd trade him, I may not be around long enough to hear all the wailing

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rodgers plays tight in playoff games. Lafleur also tightens up and his brain doesn’t work as well. The rest of the team senses that and doesn’t play as well. Rodgers is an all time great talent, but also his personality isn’t best for team sports.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Captain_Ben wrote:
21 Jul 2022 11:36
Yoop wrote:
21 Jul 2022 08:49
last years SF loss should make this obvious to all, we had a great defense and lost because we ran out of skill position players, go ahead and blame it on one missed pass to Lazard, Lewis fumble or any other issue ( sucky ST's) that tend to happen in every game, ya overcome short comings like that when ya have more then just a couple good receivers, specially when one of em is your RB.
I tend to agree with this. I understand the desire to have an offense that is built to run the ball in cold weather. But it couldn't have hurt to have a WR besides Adams that could get some separation. My impression of Lazard has always been that he has good hands but isn't very good at getting open. Too many of his highlights are Rodgers threading a tiny needle, which is extra hard to do in subzero temps.

I'm starting to believe that the teams most likely to win Super Bowls are those which are void of any obvious weaknesses to be exploited. It's not as much about having one or two position groups that are dominant forces (sure it helps), but just don't have any group that sucks. Our WR corps sucked and we paid the price.
yep, unless you have about 3 skill position players that a DC has to game plan to stop, the good ones you do have will be blanketed with double coverage, it actually does become a numbers thing, most teams play nickel or dime against us, thats 5 DB's to our Adams, Jones and the jags, sure we can blame Rodgers for being selective, but theres a reason for that, he doesn't fully trust the others to do there part.

several years back when the stooges where rookies it seemed obvious that Rodgers wouldn't throw to them even when they where open, probably because they didn't run the route right, it's been my impression ever since that Rodgers would rather sacrifice the season to get rid of mCcarthy and send a message to Gute that he didn't like his method of fixing the WR position, Guty's next move was to draft Love's replacement versus taking one of the top receivers in the class, he sure showed Rodgers who's boss, the results are two lost PO games, Adams leaving and Guty now scrambling finally trying to fix the WR position, now I may be wrong about this, and most here will say I am, but thats how it appeared to me.

I agree, ya can't have glaring weakness and expect to win PO games, one of the easiest things to control is the passing game imo, if ya have a great QB it seems imperative that you provide him with a stable of capable receivers, and keep and refresh them every couple years, for anyone to think you can keep a great defense together year after year hasn't been paying attention, it just doesn't work out that way in most situations, players leave for the molla after first contract, it's now the way the NFL is.
it does NO good to have a silver plated shinny pistola if ya have no bullets to shoot :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Jul 2022 11:48
Rodgers plays tight in playoff games. Lafleur also tightens up and his brain doesn’t work as well. The rest of the team senses that and doesn’t play as well. Rodgers is an all time great talent, but also his personality isn’t best for team sports.
well it's the GM's fault then for not trading him, urrrrr
reality is that most teams play conservative in big games because a mistake often decides who wins, does Rodgers become ultra conservative? possibly at times, depending on the flow of the game, lis go rewatch 2021, he didn't seem over conservative then, and look at all the tight windows he threw through to Adams, IMO he's conservative throwing to receivers he doesn't trust.

go rewatch games when he Had a better group of receivers, I've heard every complaint with Rodgers, when held up to scrutiny most are not so accurate.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I don't get the "can't expect to be perfect" line for that 9ers game.

You could use that if you are blaming the defense in allowing the 9ers to get into FG range to win at the end because they played fantastic up to that point.

I can also use that line when defending Rodgers overthrow to Jennings in the 09 Cardinals PO loss because he was fantastic up to that point.

But to use the line of "nobody is perfect" in a game where the offense scores one TD early and essentially has zero production after that minus a broken play.....that line doesn't fit. Because at that point it's just not a good game.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
21 Jul 2022 11:39
Labrev wrote:

Rodgers can't throw and also run down and catch his passes, why don't you actually rewatch our 2021 loss, 5 or 6 dropped passes, Rodgers can't run the routes for these jag receivers, he can't block for Oliners who can't, yet all I here from YOU and others is how Rodgers missed a open Lazard, or took a sack, or any number of mis cues that happen to every other QB on a weekly basis.

I hope I'am around for post Rodgers, if you think you have something to whine about now, just what, it aint going to get better, what the Packers have are a bunch of spoiled fans, I actually was hoping we'd trade him, I may not be around long enough to hear all the wailing
I have such a slam-dunk response to this but now it's getting to feel a bit excessive. :oops:
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
21 Jul 2022 12:29
Yoop wrote:
21 Jul 2022 11:39
Labrev wrote:

[/quote/]

I have such a slam-dunk response to this but now it's getting to feel a bit excessive. :oops:
[/quote/]

whats excessive is blaming Rodgers for every PO loss, It's ignorant to say the importance of his position requires him to play perfect on every play, but thats what you and other here do, all to defend the ignorant bs thats went on here at the WR position for half a freaking decade

laugh now, cry later.