Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
12 Oct 2023 12:47
APB wrote:
12 Oct 2023 07:35
CWIMM wrote:
12 Oct 2023 07:26

True, but they don't have to trade for Watson to achieve that. They can just select Marvin Harrison Jr. in next year's draft.

Especially as it's still a huge question mark if Watson will ever develop into an elite WR.
I believe Chicago owns their R1 pick next year. The "can't miss" WRs will be long gone by the time pick 33 is called.
so then you expect Carolina to win the owl? did I miss something here? :lol:

safe to say Carolina will pick shortly after the Minny's of the Midway :lol: so there should be a tier one receiver available to them. :idn:
True Tier ones rarely ever last after pick 20. Most never after pick 10.

The best pick Carolina can have is 33
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
12 Oct 2023 12:49
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

I believe Chicago owns their R1 pick next year. The "can't miss" WRs will be long gone by the time pick 33 is called.

safe to say Carolina will pick shortly after the Minny's of the Midway :lol: so there should be a tier one receiver available to them. :idn:

funny, we ended up nailing ours after, now I know I missed something, did Carolina trade away the first next year.

again top tier tend to be the most ready to do well at this level, but obviously thats not always true

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
12 Oct 2023 12:53
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

funny, we ended up nailing ours after, now I know I missed something, did Carolina trade away the first next year.

again top tier tend to be the most ready to do well at this level, but obviously thats not always true
Read posts and you will find the answer. Read the post you responded to APB specifically and you will find your answer.

Just read posts.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
12 Oct 2023 12:56
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Read posts and you will find the answer. Read the post you responded to APB specifically and you will find your answer.

Just read posts.
I believe Chicago owns their R1 pick next year.

just killed you to say that huh, first thing I did was ask if I missed something

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
12 Oct 2023 13:12
go pak go wrote:
12 Oct 2023 12:56
Yoop wrote:

Just read posts.
I believe Chicago owns their R1 pick next year.

just killed you to say that huh, first thing I did was ask if I missed something
That wasn’t very nice of him. Stay strong Yoop
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I just love Steve Smith. Loved him as a player. Love him as an analyst. Love him for his honesty and willingness to speak his truth.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
12 Oct 2023 18:49
I just love Steve Smith. Loved him as a player. Love him as an analyst. Love him for his honesty and willingness to speak his truth.

Agreed. I love watching him on the NFLN. Honestly I think the NFLN does a really good job with game broadcasting. They seem to try new things and not the old way of broadcasting.

And Steve Smith is such a great asset to that. Their pre-game, halftime and post-game are just on a another level compared to the Network Television broadcasts. (I'm looking at you FOX)
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Steve Smith is a true alpha. Just call a bitch a bitch and go on about your day. It’s hard to do that now a days without other betas defending other betas.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

APB wrote:
go pak go wrote:
12 Oct 2023 07:38
If they only they had a first round draft pick

Image.
You're right, I forgot the Panthers traded away next year's first round pick to the Bears. That's one more reason they won't be buyers at the trade deadline though.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

not sure if others saw this, I know it was talked about some, Peters did get a fine for the horse collar TD saving tackle, imo Watson should have been awarded the TD, course my bias and that we probably/may have won the game sticks out like a sore thumb, short so I brought all of it.

Marcus Peters is fined $13,378

Raiders defensive back Marcus Peters will surely consider the $13,378 money well spent.

That was the price of the fine for pulling Packers receiver Christian Watson down from behind with a horse-collar tackle, as Watson was heading for the end zone on what would have been a long touchdown that would have given his team a 17-10 lead.

Peters drew a foul for the maneuver, which moved the ball from the six to the three for Green Bay. After the game, Raiders coach Josh McDaniels praised Peters for making a "really smart play."

The Packers did not score a touchdown, settling instead for a field goal. And the final score was 17-13, Raiders.

There's a separate question as to whether it would be smart for the league to make it clear that, in such situations, a touchdown will be awarded. The horse-collar tackle entails very real safety risks; that's why it was prohibited nearly 20 years ago.

Does the NFL want teams to tell defensive players than, when all else fails, pull the offensive player down by the back of his collar, even if it results in a broken leg?

It's unclear whether the league will prioritize this subject for offseason discussions regarding potential rule changes. If the league truly cares about player safety, it will at least have the conversation. If the league's concern for keeping players safe is just lip service and/or window dressing, it won't be raised at all.

That's the ultimate litmus test, frankly, as to whether the league truly cares about safety — or whether the league simply pretends to care because it would be bad for business not to.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

To me, that wasn’t a horse collar. When it was introduced as a penalty, it had the element where players where bending the torso back and then hanging their weight off and landing on the runners legs and ankles pinning them underneath.

Peters didn’t do that. To me, it was just a tackle.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
15 Oct 2023 13:56
To me, that wasn’t a horse collar. When it was introduced as a penalty, it had the element where players where bending the torso back and then hanging their weight off and landing on the runners legs and ankles pinning them underneath.

Peters didn’t do that. To me, it was just a tackle.
well to me the rule states Horse collar because the shoulder pads resemble a horse harness,( I know, quite obvious) so when Peters grabs the shoulder pad like that it has the ability to snap the neck, Peters swung Watson 360 degrees holding that collar, gonna get called every time, and in that situation shouldn't be allowed to prevent a TD, we just lost a game because of it.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

By rule it was a horse collar tackle. It came about because of TO getting dragged down and rolled up on from behind by the tackler. But the rule is you can't grab inside of back of jersey opening or inside of shoulderpad and pull (no rolling up on legs required).

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I know it was by the rule, it they put the rule in for a specific set of circumstances that was causing injuries. I still remember Roy Williams breaking Terrell’s leg and that bringing about the rule

But it is my opinion, what happened to Watson was just a tackle without the dangerous part. As it had been up until 05 or 6 whatever it was that brought about the rule.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TO didn't get rolled up on:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Oct 2023 20:40
TO didn't get rolled up on:
But he did grab and drop his weight and drag him down from behind, which is not what happened to Watson.

Regardless, if they start awarding TDs because they deem it so, though none was scored. I’ll happily leave this game for the fantasy players and gamblers to enjoy. I’ll be done.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Awarding TDs would be silly, agreed.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Yoop wrote:
15 Oct 2023 09:13
not sure if others saw this, I know it was talked about some, Peters did get a fine for the horse collar TD saving tackle, imo Watson should have been awarded the TD, course my bias and that we probably/may have won the game sticks out like a sore thumb, short so I brought all of it.

Raiders defensive back Marcus Peters will surely consider the $13,378 money well spent.

That was the price of the fine for pulling Packers receiver Christian Watson down from behind with a horse-collar tackle, as Watson was heading for the end zone on what would have been a long touchdown that would have given his team a 17-10 lead.

Peters drew a foul for the maneuver, which moved the ball from the six to the three for Green Bay. After the game, Raiders coach Josh McDaniels praised Peters for making a "really smart play."

The Packers did not score a touchdown, settling instead for a field goal. And the final score was 17-13, Raiders.

There's a separate question as to whether it would be smart for the league to make it clear that, in such situations, a touchdown will be awarded. The horse-collar tackle entails very real safety risks; that's why it was prohibited nearly 20 years ago.

Does the NFL want teams to tell defensive players than, when all else fails, pull the offensive player down by the back of his collar, even if it results in a broken leg?

It's unclear whether the league will prioritize this subject for offseason discussions regarding potential rule changes. If the league truly cares about player safety, it will at least have the conversation. If the league's concern for keeping players safe is just lip service and/or window dressing, it won't be raised at all.

That's the ultimate litmus test, frankly, as to whether the league truly cares about safety — or whether the league simply pretends to care because it would be bad for business not to.
I definitely don't want the league to award a touchdown in those situations either. The Packers had four downs to score from the three yard line but didn't get it done. That's solely on them.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CWIMM wrote:
16 Oct 2023 05:16
Yoop wrote:
15 Oct 2023 09:13

I definitely don't want the league to award a touchdown in those situations either. The Packers had four downs to score from the three yard line but didn't get it done. That's solely on them.
I do for the simple reason that Watson most likely scores minus that tackle.

another change I want is to stop the pushing the runner/QB on short yardage runs, just as with the tackle, alternative actions lead to the result, something wrong should never benefit those doing it.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

I hope Jordan evolves into a Justin Herbert clone. I really like Herbert's poise. Both wear #10.