Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
02 Jan 2024 09:20
Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Jan 2024 22:43
Jordan Love's deep ball improvement is by far his most striking difference.

He really struggled on the deep balls the first half of the season. Now he is deadly accurate with them. If this proves sustainable or continues improvement....this dude will be absolutely insane.
how do you know that it was a accuracy issue? he didn't in a few games gain deep ball accuracy, nah, again, if a QB is unsure where the receiver will be, the pitch point is always in doubt, that is a fact jack :lol: plus most passes over 20 yrds are thrown to a designated spot, it's up to the receiver to be there, true not every deep ball was perfect, some of it is obviously Love being off target, he was also throwing more hard to catch passes at shorter distance earlier, I think what we are seeing mostly is chemistry building with receivers as well as receivers running better routes :idn:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I agree. I do think Love is throwing better deep passes, namely that he is just letting it rip rather than trying to "aim" it or put touch on those passes, but I also think there were a number of other factors that made the passes look inaccurate (e.g. chemistry with the WRs, execution by WRs, technique work by Love not relating to his arm, etc) when he did not actually lack the ability to make that throw accurately.

We saw him drop the football in the bucket several times during preseason (that fan-favorite drill Rodgers was so good at) too many times for me to believe that his accuracy was the problem.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
02 Jan 2024 12:48
go pak go wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Jan 2024 22:43

He really struggled on the deep balls the first half of the season. Now he is deadly accurate with them. If this proves sustainable or continues improvement....this dude will be absolutely insane.
how do you know that it was a accuracy issue? he didn't in a few games gain deep ball accuracy, nah, again, if a QB is unsure where the receiver will be, the pitch point is always in doubt, that is a fact jack :lol: plus most passes over 20 yrds are thrown to a designated spot, it's up to the receiver to be there, true not every deep ball was perfect, some of it is obviously Love being off target, he was also throwing more hard to catch passes at shorter distance earlier, I think what we are seeing mostly is chemistry building with receivers as well as receivers running better routes :idn:
The one thing I am super impressed and proud of Love is his ability to build chemistry with such a variety of players.

Love is elevating his receiver's play. Each receiver is having success with Love.

3 2nd rounders
1 3rd rounder
1 4th rounder
1 4th rounder
1 7th rounder who got claimed and on the Psquad
1 UDFA

All are having incredible success. All are selfless and supporting each other and all sucked at one or multiple points in the season (except Reed) but they just kept carrying on. It's so cool to see.

All of them
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
02 Jan 2024 13:07
I agree. I do think Love is throwing better deep passes, namely that he is just letting it rip rather than trying to "aim" it or put touch on those passes, but I also think there were a number of other factors that made the passes look inaccurate (e.g. chemistry with the WRs, execution by WRs, technique work by Love not relating to his arm, etc) when he did not actually lack the ability to make that throw accurately.

We saw him drop the football in the bucket several times during preseason (that fan-favorite drill Rodgers was so good at) too many times for me to believe that his accuracy was the problem.
thats not just a fan favorite drill, cripes I watched Bart Starr doing the tire drill for hours when I was a kid

also there is no such thing as Touch on passes over 40 yrds, this touch pass stuff is restricted to shorter passes, aiming is a required process when passing the ball, sorry, I never quite bought in to that touch pass and aiming over just letting it rip kind of talk :idn:

I can't remember any of our QB's not being thrilled when the team gave them a quality receiver, what we are seeing between Love and all these young receivers is something I doubt any of us has seen in the past, baptism under fire for all, I think it's natural for a rookie to be super happy for another rookie who plays well too.

we all Love what is going on here, you'd have to be deaf, dumb or blind not to, however as ya'll recall I half heartedly expected this, if the QB plays well we know first year receivers can get er done, some even do very well, I think Musgrave and Kraft sorta break the mold as normal rookie TE's, however scheme them right and they can do well too

I still believe had Barry used more aggressive schemes and this team is already play off bound with a 12 win season :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
02 Jan 2024 13:09
Yoop wrote:
02 Jan 2024 12:48
go pak go wrote:

The one thing I am super impressed and proud of Love is his ability to build chemistry with such a variety of players.

Love is elevating his receiver's play. Each receiver is having success with Love.

3 2nd rounders
1 3rd rounder
1 4th rounder
1 4th rounder
1 UDFA

All are having incredible success. All are selfless and supporting each other and all sucked at one or multiple points in the season (except Reed) but they just kept carrying on. It's so cool to see.

All of them
the play of Love and these receivers is the high light of this season for me, to bad Watson has hammyitis, if he can get that right, and these others have a 2nd year jump, wow, this could end up as potent a offense as there is next year :aok:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:

3 2nd rounders
1 3rd rounder
1 4th rounder
1 4th rounder
1 UDFA

All of them
I was thinking of something related to this recently.

Say Davante Adams has had it with the Raiders and he wants out this off-season.

Does Gutekunst pursue him? Does Adams even want to come here and compete for touches with this ascending group on hand? How much and what type impact would adding a veteran alpha dog stud have on this young, ascending group of WRs/TEs?

Interesting to consider...
Spoiler
...although I know I, for one, would embrace his return.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

APB wrote:
02 Jan 2024 16:14
go pak go wrote:

3 2nd rounders
1 3rd rounder
1 4th rounder
1 4th rounder
1 UDFA

All of them
I was thinking of something related to this recently.

Say Davante Adams has had it with the Raiders and he wants out this off-season.

Does Gutekunst pursue him? Does Adams even want to come here and compete for touches with this ascending group on hand? How much and what type impact would adding a veteran alpha dog stud have on this young, ascending group of WRs/TEs?

Interesting to consider...
Spoiler
...although I know I, for one, would embrace his return.
As much as I would like to see Davante come home, I also don't want anything to disrupt the chemistry these guys are building. Bringing in an All-Pro would really shake things up. :dunno:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Yeah, I have never seen anything like this WR corps. It is like they are all good. They all also have bad moments from time to time or missed catches, and you probably wouldn't say that any of them are the level of Davante yet or DJ Moore, but every one of them is like a #2 or borderline #1 WR in this league.

Just when I think Watson is the top threat, Reed comes along. Then I think Reed is probably our #1, but Wicks separates himself. Then I go with Wicks (after all, the advanced analytics also say him), but Malik Heath takes over for a few games. Ok so it's Heath now, he's the #1. And then we called up Bo Melton who had the most yards of any WR this season... Meanwhile Doubs is leading the team in TDs.

Ideally we just keep these 7 guys for the next decade and Love continues to just spread it around equally. That's like the dream offense. The opposite of what Rodgers would do. No single guy that the other team can just double and shut us down. In fact we have 2 starting offenses worth of talented guys. Keep spreading it around, then none of them can get too gaudy of a statistical resume, and then we can afford to re-sign them all.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

texas wrote:
02 Jan 2024 17:09
Yeah, I have never seen anything like this WR corps. It is like they are all good. They all also have bad moments from time to time or missed catches, and you probably wouldn't say that any of them are the level of Davante yet or DJ Moore, but every one of them is like a #2 or borderline #1 WR in this league.

Just when I think Watson is the top threat, Reed comes along. Then I think Reed is probably our #1, but Wicks separates himself. Then I go with Wicks (after all, the advanced analytics also say him), but Malik Heath takes over for a few games. Ok so it's Heath now, he's the #1. And then we called up Bo Melton who had the most yards of any WR this season... Meanwhile Doubs is leading the team in TDs.

Ideally we just keep these 7 guys for the next decade and Love continues to just spread it around equally. That's like the dream offense. The opposite of what Rodgers would do. No single guy that the other team can just double and shut us down. In fact we have 2 starting offenses worth of talented guys. Keep spreading it around, then none of them can get too gaudy of a statistical resume, and then we can afford to re-sign them all.
If LaCoach doesn't mess this thing up we could have the "Greatest Show on Turf V2+" to marvel at ............ where the + leverages the talent of Musgrave and Kraft. Oh how awesome it would be to get a few Dorsey Evans-like years out of Aaron Jones still.

When it's an all or nothing / elimination game like next Sunday (January 7th) ............ I can see Jordan Love running the ball if necessary as well.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 02 Jan 2024 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

My ideal for the WR room is and has always been a diversity of skills, each player's skill-set complementing the others', and I could care less if any are proven all-pro or pro-bowl players, which is why I never had the same angst over the 2018-2021 groups that some here did.

Our current guys have more raw talent than the 2018-2022 groups, but they lack a true star #1 WR like an Adams. None of them is a week-in, week-out "workhorse" (if you will) WR1.

Yet it still works more than fine, because they all bring something valuable to the table. There is nothing you lack at WR between the collective: speed, size, releases, etc. Somebody in the group can give you whatever you need at the position. It's 2011 Lite.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
02 Jan 2024 18:21
Our current guys have more raw talent than the 2018-2022 groups, but they lack a true star #1 WR like an Adams. None of them is a week-in, week-out "workhorse" (if you will) WR1.

Yet it still works more than fine, because they all bring something valuable to the table. There is nothing you lack at WR between the collective: speed, size, releases, etc. Somebody in the group can give you whatever you need at the position. It's 2011 Lite.
It's worth noting that in a collective group of first and second year players, we don't yet know if we have any week-in, week-out workhorses in the group come future seasons

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Jan 2024 20:26
Labrev wrote:

It's worth noting that in a collective group of first and second year players, we don't yet know if we have any week-in, week-out workhorses in the group come future seasons
I could see Wicks eventually becoming that guy; he's got a lot of Adams to his game. Watson too maybe, the sky is the limit for him, but he needs to refine his game a lot and stay healthy. Or even Musgrave, a TE with that kind of athleticism can in effect be a #1 receiver.
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
02 Jan 2024 21:34
YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Jan 2024 20:26
Labrev wrote:

I could see Wicks eventually becoming that guy; he's got a lot of Adams to his game. Watson too maybe, the sky is the limit for him, but he needs to refine his game a lot and stay healthy. Or even Musgrave, a TE with that kind of athleticism can in effect be a #1 receiver.
I could see all 3 happening. Watson's hammy problems worry me. But I would add Reed to the list of probable true stars. He has a lot more speed and open field running ability than most slot receivers. He is a mismatch against any slot CB. The Packers could very well have Pro Bowl players at both WR positions, Slot Receiver and TE next season. Plus another 3 players, Kraft, Doubs and Melton that would start on most teams.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

TheSkeptic wrote:
03 Jan 2024 02:10
I could see all 3 happening. Watson's hammy problems worry me. But I would add Reed to the list of probable true stars. He has a lot more speed and open field running ability than most slot receivers. He is a mismatch against any slot CB. The Packers could very well have Pro Bowl players at both WR positions, Slot Receiver and TE next season. Plus another 3 players, Kraft, Doubs and Melton that would start on most teams.
I Love Wicks, and Reed going forward. I worry about Watson. I am not sure I don't like Kraft over Musgrave at this point. Time will tell. I love both of them on the field in some sets going forward, as I have mentioned before.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So how much is it Love being awesome and making quick decisions compared to the offensive line blocking and being assingment sure better?

I would venture it is a combination of both.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jan 2024 09:41
So how much is it Love being awesome and making quick decisions compared to the offensive line blocking and being assingment sure better?

I would venture it is a combination of both.
100% both, but you can see he is reading things quick and letting it fly with more confidence. The blitz is still getting there at times (as it always will) like the first play below, but he is more decisive.

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

MY_TAKE wrote:
03 Jan 2024 06:46
TheSkeptic wrote:
03 Jan 2024 02:10
I Love Wicks, and Reed going forward. I worry about Watson. I am not sure I don't like Kraft over Musgrave at this point. Time will tell. I love both of them on the field in some sets going forward, as I have mentioned before.
I have felt all along Wicks is going to become a #1. Hes in the mold of the Adams and Keenan Allen's of the world. He might not be a dominant athlete but he knows how to get open and make plays. He doesnt need to be a downfield burner. If he can develop his late hands and improve just a little more on his release and routes he will take off next season.

I think with Watson you just have to bake into each seasons equation that he is going to miss time. Hes just one of those guys.

I liked Musgrave a lot but I also felt he was the most boom or bust TE. Hes so athletic and big but he plays small. Kraft has always played big. He can exploit smaller defenders trying to tackle him. You can do a lot of concepts getting Musgrave to stretch the defense while getting Kraft underneath and in space. I think they will work well together.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »