Round 1 (26) - Jordan Love, QB Utah State

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:17
TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:47
Serious question though:

Would Rodgers be a better mentor than Favre?

If we're honest with ourselves, I don't think so. We're bias as fans go, but rumor or not... I just do not see Rodgers in that role at all.
Someone asked AR how he would feel if GB takes a QB and he said he'd treat that kid a hell of lot better than Favre did to him.
Favre bullying Rodgers made Rodgers motivated and tougher. We should thank Favre for that.
Rodgers was a top prospect that slid down the board btw, Jordan Love is a guy who had a bad year in the mountain west.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Captain_Ben wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:10
So y’all have any info on the player or are we gonna sit here and pout all night? I hope he outplays Aaron- for the sake of the team. The QB position has held us back for consecutive years.

It's tough because we weren't prepared; those of us who love the draft process didn't pay a lot of attention to the QBs this year.

Look, Love has amazing arm talent. His final season stunk this year. He lost his coaching staff, his top 3 WRs, his RB, and some OL, I think. Total team turnover from one year to the next. And he struggled with his decision making and his accuracy fell and his INTs spiked.

But he can REALLY throw. Not dumb or anything, either. I don't think he'll be a turnover problem in a stable environment, which we hope to provide for him.

But my understanding of him as a player is from some highlights and draftnik write-ups, because why would I bother watching Jordan Love as a Packers prospect? Even though I had said I was open to drafting a QB and joked about making a mock with that to see how people would react but someone on the board beat me to the punch... I still didn't consider it a major possibility because I thought these guys would be gone by then.

As the info becomes available, we'll learn about him. I'm hoping it's like Greg Jennings; when he was drafted, everyone said "WHO?" Then we looked at the scouting reports and the stats and the highlights and we got pretty excited.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Raptorman wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:18
Wow, guys. Way to draft an impact player for this year. Now if he works out 3-4 years from now.............
right on cue

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheGreenMan wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:09
YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:05
TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:28

Favre, maybe. Rodgers, definitely made more and more sense to me as he fell from literally the top of the draft. You weren't wanting a QB going into that draft until he was smack dab right in front of you. Love wasn't in front of anyone but Gute.

Dude was at least 10 rows back.
The rumors are that the Colts were trying to come up to get him and we moved instead.

Plenty of people thought he was a very high-level prospect. He's been compared by many to Mahomes. It's perfectly fine to hate the pick, but don't act like he isn't a high caliber player with incredible arm talent. He's a pure talent prospect. The player is not the problem here.
Nowhere am I saying Love isn't talented. Purely from the circumstances... this wasn't even in the discussion. Not even with any of the media or draft heads. As Rodgers continued to fall and fall, everyone was talking the Packers up possibly taking him. Or should take him. Talent on the coaching staff and rosters, were just completely different.
Remember BF had been doing his "am I going to retire?" game for 3 or 4 years. The team won the division in 2004 but was clearly declining (2005 was 4-12 with BF throwing 30 picks by trying to do it himself because of lack of other talent). It made sense to draft AR, he was a great prospect whose only major criticism was holding the ball high. Love is not the prospect AR was, not even close. I just don't get this.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:11
YoHoChecko wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:28

Favre, maybe. Rodgers, definitely made more and more sense to me as he fell from literally the top of the draft. You weren't wanting a QB going into that draft until he was smack dab right in front of you. Love wasn't in front of anyone but Gute.

Dude was at least 10 rows back.
The rumors are that the Colts were trying to come up to get him and we moved instead.

Plenty of people thought he was a very high-level prospect. He's been compared by many to Mahomes. It's perfectly fine to hate the pick, but don't act like he isn't a high caliber player with incredible arm talent. He's a pure talent prospect. The player is not the problem here.
Spoken very well, thank you. Look, I don't even like the pick and also hated the fact that a trade up was required. Everyone is focusing on this tiny window of 2, 3, 4, 5 years, when we very well could be having this exact same argument a decade and a half from now if this works out. Rodgers is 35 and Love is 20. Father time is undefeated. Sooner or later, time is going to run out on Aaron. At least this way, a decision can be made on our terms... just as it was with Rodgers.

I don't have a crystal ball and I don't know how this will work out neatly for everyone... it probably won't, but I am very confused how no one can acknowledge the benefits if this hits.
Because the model shows it doesn't win Super Bowls. I don't care if Jordan Love is great. People say you need an elite quarterback to win it all.

I say you need a good young and cheap quarterback with an elite team to win it all.

Brady is the exception. But even Brady was paid far less than other QBs so they could get resources to build the rest of the team. And Manning was a fluke. Nothing more about it.

In the new CBA, teams to win the Super Bowl:

2011 - Eli Manning. Fluke. And it was the first year of the CBA. Roster setting under the new rules weren't in place yet.
2012 - Joe Flacco. Before he signed his deal. Team was great. Ravens forced to sign huge Flacco contract. They fell ever since.
2013 - Russel Wilson - cheap rookie contract
2014 - Brady (against Wilson)
2015 - Manning (but they won despite Manning. That Broncos team was ridiculous). They played against a QB on his cheap rookie deal
2016 - Brady
2017 - Rookie deal quarterback. Backup quarterback
2018 - Brady
2019 - Cheap quarterback on rookie deal.

No other quarterback besides Brady won that wasn't on a cheap rookie deal or cheap 2nd deal. Manning is the only one but Manning walked into the Broncos where they were stacked with years of top 5 picks and then mortgaged their future to go all in and it worked.

I don't hate the player. But even as great a ride as the Saints had with Brees or we had with Rodgers...we have the same to show for it. One total ring in what...15 years?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:23
TheGreenMan wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Nowhere am I saying Love isn't talented. Purely from the circumstances... this wasn't even in the discussion. Not even with any of the media or draft heads. As Rodgers continued to fall and fall, everyone was talking the Packers up possibly taking him. Or should take him. Talent on the coaching staff and rosters, were just completely different.
Remember BF had been doing his "am I going to retire?" game for 3 or 4 years. The team won the division in 2004 but was clearly declining (2005 was 4-12 with BF throwing 30 picks by trying to do it himself because of lack of other talent). It made sense to draft AR, he was a great prospect whose only major criticism was holding the ball high. Love is not the prospect AR was, not even close. I just don't get this.
I mean let's be real here. Rodgers was not good last year. There were times he was very good yes. But there were stretches he was our clear weak link and the Packers won despite of Rodgers. If Rodgers trajectory stays the same...Jordan Love could seriously be fighting for playing time by 2021.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

wallyuwl wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Correct. Hence why I don't understand the Rodgers draft comparison. The team wasn't going anywhere, Favre playing his retirement games. You could see the light at the end of the tunnel, in terms of a QB change coming for the future. I don't think anybody is there yet with Rodgers. Especially considering what Gute was all about last year.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Love:
"Packers took a chance on me; outside opinions don't really matter. I'm here to work"

"Haven't had the chance to talk to Aaron yet, but I know I'll be able to learn a lot from Aaron... I'll be able to pick his brain and develop my game and learn as much as I can from him"

some dad stuff

"It's been a pretty crazy process; Had an hour-long zoom conference with the coaching staff, breaking down plays, had a good conversation that let them have the confidence to pick me"

"I'm a playmaker; always ready to make plays. Whatever is needed. I have a really good arm and I have a lot of confidence in that. I'm just going to come in here and work and continue to improve my game"

compared this to redshirting when he arrived at college

"Obviously the interceptions went up. I was forcing balls and trying to do too much. I should have been more willing to check down and live to see another day."

"I have to learn everything--from the ins-and-outs of the playbook I'll be in to reading defenses and my mechanics as a QB. I'll do everything I can to be able to master that; I've got a lot to learn, though"

"I was just hoping to make it... and figure out how it'll work once I get there. This is a good situation to be in; not getting thrown out and being able to learn from one of the best"

"I don't know much [about Wisconsin]. I'm ready for [the snow]. I'm here in Utah, but I'm sure it'll be a lot colder up there."

"I model my game after any QB I can watch around the league. There's a wide range of QBs and I'm trying to take bits and pieces from everywhere."

Says he's been told he'll wear #10, not sure if it's set in stone.

First experience with the Packers staff was at the combine (even though they were at his LSU game--didn't approach him there)

#1 trait about himself: "Playmaker"

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

depending on what Guty can get Rodgers in the 2nd round, Shenault maybe, then I can forgive this QB pick some, I'am sure Rodgers had a feeling this might happen, and as long as he still gets a decent prospect he probably doesn't care, other wise who wouldn't be pissed in his shoes.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:34
depending on what Guty can get Rodgers in the 2nd round, Shenault maybe, then I can forgive this QB pick some, I'am sure Rodgers had a feeling this might happen, and as long as he still gets a decent prospect he probably doesn't care, other wise who wouldn't be pissed in his shoes.
Gutey hates rodgers. I imagine we go Kicker round 2.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
Yeah, if Shenault falls to 62, which seems possible but not probable, that would be a cool pick-up that mayme makes people feel better.

Interesting to see where Mims and Pittman go. I still hate Claypool at 62 but not quite as much.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

My evaluation on Love. Big arm. Size and athleticism is what you want. Accuracy right now IMO is just average. Decision making is HORRIBLE. No one can convince me otherwise. Hes got everything you want except for whats in between the ears. This was Gutey "the move." This is like what TT did to get Rodgers and what Wolf did to get Favre. Both questionable moves and both worked out. If anything Love is like Favre. Rodgers was seen in some cases as the best QB in the class that fell because teams werent in need of QBs. Favre fell because he was a small school guy with a party attitude. Love is a small school guy who hasnt played any elite competition ever. Maybe the best teams hes played was either Michigan St or Boise St and he struggled. There is going to be a crazy jump for him in terms of talent and game speed and for a guy who struggles in his decision making... Its just dumb.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:38
Yoop wrote:
Yeah, if Shenault falls to 62, which seems possible but not probable, that would be a cool pick-up that mayme makes people feel better.

Interesting to see where Mims and Pittman go. I still hate Claypool at 62 but not quite as much.
I got Shenault to us in round two in paco's competiton. If we can grab him I think it might take a little bit of the sting away.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

NCF wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:11
YoHoChecko wrote:

Spoken very well, thank you. Look, I don't even like the pick and also hated the fact that a trade up was required. Everyone is focusing on this tiny window of 2, 3, 4, 5 years, when we very well could be having this exact same argument a decade and a half from now if this works out. Rodgers is 35 and Love is 20. Father time is undefeated. Sooner or later, time is going to run out on Aaron. At least this way, a decision can be made on our terms... just as it was with Rodgers.

I don't have a crystal ball and I don't know how this will work out neatly for everyone... it probably won't, but I am very confused how no one can acknowledge the benefits if this hits.
:aok: If Gutey hits on this one, we will have another decade plus of elite QB play.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

So this Love fella has pretty much an identical prospect Card as olé DeShone Kizer. Someone else Gutey missed on.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:38
Yoop wrote:

I was hoping we'd move up for Ayuik, and I have my doubts that Shenault will last to 62, those two really fit what I think we want to do on offense, this draft didn't fall well for us, Reager went a little sooner hten I thought he'd go, still taking this QB is a drag.

we do have a window with Rodgers, and we also have one with guys like Jones and Bahk, Clark, King, my point is this team is expensive to keep intact now, at some point ya have to take a shot, man up, or you'll be hemorging your talent faster then you can replace it, taking Love sets that back, just as it did taking Gary last year ( I know I'am being redundent) these moves don't help us now, and by the time they do some of these players will be gone.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:26
wallyuwl wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:

I mean let's be real here. Rodgers was not good last year. There were times he was very good yes. But there were stretches he was our clear weak link and the Packers won despite of Rodgers. If Rodgers trajectory stays the same...Jordan Love could seriously be fighting for playing time by 2021.
Brand new offense. Literal &%$@ around him outside of Adams and Jones and Adams missed time. Jimmy Graham? Lazard? MVS? Kumerow? Rodgers was destined to struggle. Looks like it will be much of the same this season. Possible addition by subtraction with the loss of Graham. Couldnt be any worse at the position. Richard Rogers was better than him, another Gutey Blunder. How was ROdgers to compete with the 49ers who have a better coach and system, better overall weapons around him, and a way better defense? He carried the team as much as he could with what he had, which isnt much different than most of his career post 2010. Its always been Rodgers carrying this team up against juggernauts in the NFC that are better.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

What makes me sick is the niners were close to a ring and they used the draft to get BETTER. Gotta great WR and DL prospect for their system.

Vikings, nipping on our heels...got BETTER after losing diggs.

Packers...shot their QB a bird and didn’t improve at all on day one of the draft for the 2020 season.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

At first it appeared Aiyuk, Reager, Jefferson, or Murray might drop to the Packers. Then boom they all started coming off the board. In the meantime the QBs were falling. Gutey believes Love has the capabilities of becoming a good starting QB. So he jumped up and snatched him.

It’s just the way the board went in the first round. I never liked Queen. Was hoping for a miracle Murray would be available. When I saw that the Packers had traded up, I figured they were going to take a QB.
Last edited by Foosball on 24 Apr 2020 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Love is the answer…