2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
30 Jan 2023 16:51
bull, you have almost zero to go on concerning what Love will be able to do, and the knowledge that Rodgers is a hell of a lot better then what you saw him do last year, we know that Rodger physically only has a season or two left, but also that physical ability is only part of the requirements to be a good QB, point is that Love has more unanswered question concerning the future then Rodgers.
You mistake "Rodgers vs. Love" as the entirety of the Rodgers decision, like someone who misses a whole forrest while fixated on a single tree.

There is more than one way we can be fine without Rodgers. Love panning out is just one way; he is not the only hope of it.

More pertinently, as I said and you IGNORED (because you have nothing), holding onto Rodgers will make it harder to get a good QB after him, not easier:
Labrev wrote:
30 Jan 2023 16:07
If anything, holding onto Rodgers makes a smooth transition LESS likely....

(1) If we get rid of Love, which we will kind of have to if we keep Rodgers, then we will have no replacement plan in 2023 and likely have to use one of our high draft picks on one rather than something that will help Rodgers win this year, which takes away from your plan to win with Rodgers if we just get him more help.

... or we can forgo drafting a replacement QB and only pick guys who will help this year, and then draft a QB in 2024 who we will have to throw into action whether they're ready or not.

(2) We are less likely to find a good QB in the future if we pass up on the draft picks we are offered for Rodgers in a trade, because those draft picks can be used to find the QB (if Love is not the guy) while also keeping our existing draft picks which we can use to build a good supporting cast around the QB and ensure his success.

(3) We are less likely to find a good QB in the future if we have less money to spend due to the cap hits of keeping Rodgers's contract on the books; that money can be used to buy a new starting QB (if Love is not the guy) while also allowing us to resign good players on the roster to give the QB1 a good supporting cast
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
30 Jan 2023 17:30
BF004 wrote:
30 Jan 2023 16:30
Just a point being, no way shape or form is Geno Smith better, not even in the same ball park.

Aging is real, not going to deny that, but 2023 looking, it still isn't close.
No way, shape, or form where Smith is better. Huh.

I think one "way," "shape," or "form" in which a player could be objectively considered better than another:
superior statistical production.

Can Smith be better that way than Rodgers?? Hmm.....
https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/ ... yards/DESC

Well, will ya look at that. By literally every single passing metric this past season, Smith performed better than Rodgers! And here I was told there is no way, shape, or form he could be better. :oops:
One guy won and MVP 12 months ago, they other guy signed for less than Kevin King got 8 months ago.
How meaningless is that statement, considering the second guy ended up having more of a case to be named MVP this year than the first guy?

Smith enters 2023 the QB who was most recently better as a starter for a full season than Rodgers. "Isn't close," not even ball park... :rotf:
If you choose to live in a simplistic world view where Geno Smith is better than Aaron Rodgers, because of stats, without context, experience, history, consensus, logic, and thought. Then carry on.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Smith was a better QB than Rodgers last year.

Smith will be 33 in 2023-2024. Rodgers will be 40. If given a choice for 2023, I'd take Smith over Rodgers.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
30 Jan 2023 17:35
If you choose to live in a simplistic world view where Geno Smith is better than Aaron Rodgers, because of stats, without context, experience, history, consensus, logic, and thought. Then carry on.

:rotf:

The one who didn't put "thought" into this is you, CF004 (Casual Fan 004). Your stance basically just boils down to "Geno Smith?!? No way can that guy ever be better than the great Aaron Rodgers, pfft!!"

You know who looks less like Aaron Rodgers than Geno Smith? ........... Aaron Rodgers.
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

This is like that time they had a "Nick Barnett or Brian Urlacher" debate I remember at Footballs Future forum.

Bears fans couldn't fathom anyone saying Barnett was better than the great(!) Brian Urlacher, and obviously in their overall careers Urlacher was a far better player, but the debate was about the better player at that time, at the tail end of Urlacher's career when he was much older and had become ineffective, while Barnett was still playing solid 'ball.

So fans of every other team were like, we'd rather have Nick Barnett, and Bears fans' NPC programming malfunctioned. They were just like, "abblob blboblb lbolblbo lbobllbol no no NO NO NOOOOOO this poll's been comrpomised by Packerz Homerz!! :( "
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
30 Jan 2023 18:06
This is like that time they had a "Nick Barnett or Brian Urlacher" debate I remember at Footballs Future forum.

Bears fans couldn't fathom anyone saying Barnett was better than the great(!) Brian Urlacher, and obviously in their overall careers Urlacher was a far better player, but the debate was about the better player at that time, at the tail end of Urlacher's career when he was much older and had become ineffective, while Barnett was still playing solid 'ball.

So fans of every other team were like, we'd rather have Nick Barnett, and Bears fans' NPC programming malfunctioned. They were just like, "abblob blboblb lbolblbo lbobllbol no no NO NO NOOOOOO this poll's been comrpomised by Packerz Homerz!! :( "
oh no, not that comparison again :thwap: :lol:

thing is we don't want Rodge to tackle TE's, or interrupt the life style of RB's, just, you know, throw the ball :lol:
A trade to the jets seems almost inevitable at this juncture if ya believe the tabloids, He and Hackett will take the Jets to the promised land, it gets spread on pretty thick, lots of candy, I saw 2 firsts from one N Y paper, thats tempting.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Well you gentlemen have yourself a fair night then. You are certainly welcome to your own opinions. I may not respect said opinion in the future, but you are welcome to it.

That is assuming I respected it before. 8-)

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
30 Jan 2023 17:42

Smith will be 33 in 2023-2024. Rodgers will be 40. If given a choice for 2023, I'd take Smith over Rodgers.
Geno Smith had a better 2022. Aaron Rodgers has had by far the better career.

I'd rather take neither as the Packers QB in 2023...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

My value estimate for Rodgers is a 1st and next year 2nd.

The median value consensus I am hearing from scouts and GM's is 1st plus an additional pick. (usually a this year 3rd or so)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
30 Jan 2023 16:38
Labrev wrote:
30 Jan 2023 16:17
That's the irony of all this. If anything, the ones who want to move on from Rodgers actually appraise the risk involved way better than the ones who just want to hold onto him come hell or high-water.
For me, it comes down what can we do to realistically win a Super Bowl next year.

Given our unsigned contracts, our cap room, our draft picks. I frankly don't see a clear, plausible path. Need to pick up a DeVondre Campbell-esque scrap heap FA who turns all-pro, get borderline rookie of the years on both sides of the ball. Luck into health on the OL, luck into finding a competent kicker, hope for spontaneous organic growth on defense with our same lame DC, and hope for drastic improvement improvement and health from Watson and Doubs and big time rookie help (don't think we can afford Lazard or Tonyan).

I just don't think the odds of trying that are worth the downside. That big 2024 cap hit from Aaron, not even getting to see Love on his rookie contract. Basically having to pay Love like a starter, with no cap room, or start over at QB come 2024-2025.

Does seem to me like the path to most likely be competing again within the next 5 years is right the cap and accumulate some picks, and see what we need to do at QB, be it Love or taking another stab in a few years.
Let's get back to this.

What can the Packers realistically do in 2023.

Try to resign these guys:
Amos - Anything under $5.7 Million for 2023 will be cap free because of voids. 2 years max
Lowry - Anything under $2 Million for 2023 will be cap free because of voids. 1 year only
Reed - $1.5 Million in voids if we do not resign. Do it, multiple years.

That leaves us with $25 million over the cap at least. They could max restructure Bakhtiari, Jones, and Clark to get under, but I am not sure what that would look like and it would push money way out making for a worse cap situation in 2025-2026. Cutting Bakhtiari would gain $5.8 million in cap space. Cutting Aaron Jones saves $10.4 million. Smith and Douglas could be cut for a combined $3.3 million. A Gary extension could help with his $11 million cap hit in 2023. If they don't believe in Savage they could trade him and save $7.9 million.

Besides internal improvement, rookie help, and bottom of the bargain basement gems, this team is not improving in 2023. It does not make a heck of a lot of sense to hold onto Aaron Rodgers in 2023.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Jan 2023 19:00
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

Not that he'd be my first choice, but I wouldn't hate having Geno at QB. He took a Seattle team that was in a rebuilding/transitional state to the playoffs. He probably doesn't lose to Washington, or last-place-defense Detroit (he put up 45 against them, or QB1 couldn't top 21 with our season depending on it).

NYJ will offer multiple draft picks for Rodgers, to do for their turn-key offense what Smith just did for SEA against all expectations.

But I would sooner see what we have in Love. Smith has shown he can start all season and be good, which makes him "safer" than Love, but you are getting at most 5-6 more good years. Rodgers, more like 2, give or take 1. If Love is good, you have your guy for 12-15 years. A few years guaranteed (not really) of good play from Smith, and even fewer from Rodgers, is not good enough not to take a shot on Love.
—Magneto

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

So fickle.

Aaron Rodgers is the best to ever do it.
2 seasons ago he was back to back mvp
he then had the worst receiving group in the league, a broker thumb, makeshift oline.

Packers management just need to do a better job in team building and get him some help.

Man Rodgers with Metcalf, Lockett, Fant - Superbowl.

When packers invested in offense this team was record setting. Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Cobb, Finley, Jones.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Rodgers with any other offense in the league is a superbowl.

This packers team without Rodgers - we saw Love's only start - god help us.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
30 Jan 2023 19:27
Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Jan 2023 19:00
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

Not that he'd be my first choice, but I wouldn't hate having Geno at QB. He took a Seattle team that was in a rebuilding/transitional state to the playoffs.
I would not stake much in counting on Geno Smith having finally found it in his 9th season. It is possible sure, but probably not likely.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

What some are forgetting is Pete Carroll is a champion coach. He maximized Russ Wilson until Russ didn’t want to play his style, and he’s maximizing geno with “his style”. His style is running the ball, aggressive defense, strong belief, eternal optimism.

Geno comes to Green Bay and he loses all of that. He gets a passive defense, a coach who has no offensive identity to play through, and etc etc

Geno doesn’t work in GB. It looks like Geno with the Jets.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Nah Geno can play. He was a good talent coming outta college, he just needed a situation like what Love (and Rodgers before him) had, but the Jets (who have NEVER developed a good QB of their own!!) threw him into action before he was ready and it was a setback.

But he kept grinding and worked himself into a Top-10 QB (statistically, not in mere opinion) of 2022.

To a lesser extent, same was true of Blaine Gabbert. Amazing talent, but Jacksonville threw him out there as a raw rookie and his growth was stunted. He kept grinding and managed to work himself up to a serviceable backup, just imagine how differently the story would have gone if he had been developed properly.

Although yes, Seattle does a better job playing complimentary football than we do, but another reason why I think we should yeet Rodgers is to see how much of that problem is due to him running the McC*rthy offense.
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

bud fox wrote:
30 Jan 2023 19:54
Wanna bet?

We will have the opportunity to test this theory soon.
—Magneto

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Labrev wrote:
30 Jan 2023 20:44
bud fox wrote:
Wanna bet?

We will have the opportunity to test this theory soon.
No we won't lol Rodgers is retiring a packer.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Labrev wrote:
30 Jan 2023 20:38
Nah Geno can play. He was a good talent coming outta college, he just needed a situation like what Love (and Rodgers before him) had, but the Jets (who have NEVER developed a good QB of their own!!) threw him into action before he was ready and it was a setback.

But he kept grinding and worked himself into a Top-10 QB (statistically, not in mere opinion) of 2022.

To a lesser extent, same was true of Blaine Gabbert. Amazing talent, but Jacksonville threw him out there as a raw rookie and his growth was stunted. He kept grinding and managed to work himself up to a serviceable backup, just imagine how differently the story would have gone if he had been developed properly.

Although yes, Seattle does a better job playing complimentary football than we do, but another reason why I think we should yeet Rodgers is to see how much of that problem is due to him running the McC*rthy offense.
Any QB would thrive in Seattle. They are stacked with pass catchers.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:

This packers team without Rodgers - we saw Love's only start - god help us.
I saw Aaron Rodgers vs the Lions this year. I think I can handle just about any QB performance at this point.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.