Black Monday - Coaching Changes

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
01 Feb 2023 17:58
Wilson was an opportunistic QB. When he had the LOB and BeastMode, he often had short fields to work. Without them, he probably didn’t have that nearly as much.

If I needed to pick a QB who could make a long drive happen more than any, maybe I’d pick Rodgers over Wilson. Probably so, without hesitation. But Wilson had an uncanny ability to capitalize on turnovers and splash plays. He had the WRs to do it. And yet his OLine was poor some of those years too. He still carried his team.
His legs saved his hide more often than anything else. Trying to sack that guy was as hard a catching a cricket with one hand. He may not be as nimble as he once was.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Ejiro Evero has joined the Panthers as their new DC under Frank Reich.

All the hand wringing over him going to Minnesota was all for naught.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

APB wrote:
05 Feb 2023 16:30
minny has crappy talent/contracts on defense; he was not gonna hitch his wagon to that sinking ship.
Evero took the fat paycheck in Carolina and can shoot for the HC spot again in 2024 if he wants.
Plus, Carolina is a better place to live
IT. IS. TIME

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BSA wrote:
05 Feb 2023 16:46
APB wrote:
minny has crappy talent/contracts on defense; he was not gonna hitch his wagon to that sinking ship.
Evero took the fat paycheck in Carolina and can shoot for the HC spot again in 2024 if he wants.
Yes on all counts. :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

APB wrote:
Well thank $%@#. :mrgreen:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BSA wrote:
05 Feb 2023 16:46
APB wrote:
This time next year we will see if he was worth it. At least in MN he only had one way to go. :rotf:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Even more reason to hate the Vikings
Report: Brian Flores accepts Vikings defensive coordinator job
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-brian-f ... 20265.html

On the plus side, this means that they won't be filling that position with a top candidate who we should fear.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Brian flores is a very good defensive coach. Good hire.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Flores got screwed by Miami, the owner tried to force him to tank games for f sake, Brian refused and lost his job, hurrah for Brian, this league is losing it's integrity enough as it is, and didn't Miami have to forfeit a draft pick?

whatever, I think the Vikes are seeing talent decline, Harrison also had a low 70 grade at safety with Amos, so they will need to add some talent, Flores isn't walking into a prime situation.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2023 18:21
Flores got screwed by Miami, the owner tried to force him to tank games for f sake, Brian refused and lost his job, hurrah for Brian, this league is losing it's integrity enough as it is, and didn't Miami have to forfeit a draft pick?

whatever, I think the Vikes are seeing talent decline, Harrison also had a low 70 grade at safety with Amos, so they will need to add some talent, Flores isn't walking into a prime situation.
Talent decline? You would be surprised what a good coach can do with the current talent on a team. Of course if you paid any attention to NFL history you would know this.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Raptorman wrote:
06 Feb 2023 18:26
Yoop wrote:

Talent decline? You would be surprised what a good coach can do with the current talent on a team. Of course if you paid any attention to NFL history you would know this.
I think compared to some of the Zimmer defenses of recent memory vs last season, the betting money is on this defense not being very good. Sure, they can turn it around, but on paper it does seem like they have a lot of work to do.

Read More. Post Less.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

NCF wrote:
06 Feb 2023 18:31
Raptorman wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I think compared to some of the Zimmer defenses of recent memory vs last season, the betting money is on this defense not being very good. Sure, they can turn it around, but on paper it does seem like they have a lot of work to do.
Fun history lesson. Every starting Packer on the 1961 Championship team except one was on the team when Lombardi took over in 1959. The only new starter not on the team in 1959 was Willie Wood. It's not necessarily the players but how they are coached. Now, I'm not saying Flores is Lomrdiesuqe, but, you never know what you have until a new coach gets a hold of them. Flores took the Dolphins from 32 to 6th in Defense in two years. Now, I don't expect that kind of jump in the first year. But even a jump to the mid-teens would make a hell of a difference.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Brian seems like a good hire for them but they don't have much talent to work with, and he doesn't overly scare me tbh.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Raptorman wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Shame on you yoop, you’ve never paid any attention to NFL history?

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BF004 wrote:
06 Feb 2023 20:08
Raptorman wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Shame on you yoop, you’ve never paid any attention to NFL history?
Oh, I don't blame Yoop. Too many people never pay attention to how good coaches can get more out of a group of players than others. It's why some are more successful in Coordinator positions and less so as head coaches. Norv Turner comes to mind. Good OC, &%$@ HC. Some people just are not head coach material. Zimmer is the same. Was a good DC, but not so good as a head coach. There are others.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Flores has never been an NFL DC.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
06 Feb 2023 18:05
Press X to doubt. He got to do a 15 year ride along with Bill Belichick. We really don't know if he is good or not.

All of these guys who are assistant coaches on the same side of the ball as their guru HCs aren't really tested. Same thing with Bieniemy and Leftwich, although in Leftwich's case we have some game tape of him being allowed to run things without Arians and it isn't pretty. So Bieniemy and Flores could be good I suppose. We'll see about it.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Raptorman wrote:
06 Feb 2023 19:18
NCF wrote:
06 Feb 2023 18:31
Raptorman wrote:

Fun history lesson. Every starting Packer on the 1961 Championship team except one was on the team when Lombardi took over in 1959. The only new starter not on the team in 1959 was Willie Wood. It's not necessarily the players but how they are coached. Now, I'm not saying Flores is Lomrdiesuqe, but, you never know what you have until a new coach gets a hold of them. Flores took the Dolphins from 32 to 6th in Defense in two years. Now, I don't expect that kind of jump in the first year. But even a jump to the mid-teens would make a hell of a difference.
I do agree with your point on coaching. It is really important. Good coaching can elevate average talent to be something greater. I also want to point out how important Willie Wood was to the Packer's defense. He was the best safety I have ever seen. He either made or assisted on a majority of tackles made during his great years. His play allowed the rest of the defense to play more loose and take more chances. He was an amazing player! Now back to your regularly scheduled forum discussions.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

texas wrote:
07 Feb 2023 00:23
Drj820 wrote:
06 Feb 2023 18:05
Press X to doubt. He got to do a 15 year ride along with Bill Belichick. We really don't know if he is good or not.

All of these guys who are assistant coaches on the same side of the ball as their guru HCs aren't really tested. Same thing with Bieniemy and Leftwich, although in Leftwich's case we have some game tape of him being allowed to run things without Arians and it isn't pretty. So Bieniemy and Flores could be good I suppose. We'll see about it.
I’m basing my opinion of him as a defensive coach on the high praise of Bill B, Tomlin, and how good the fins D looked when he was HC.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
Yoop wrote:

ya talent decline, it's not as though I'am the only person to mention this, every sports person is, go read.

and I simply used Harrison as a example and backed it up with his recent PFF grade, one of the very best safety's in the league years back has declined a lot the last couple seasons, as has our Amos, gesus get over your defensive attitude, and a coach is only as good as the talent level allows him to be, these are history lessons I learned before you where old enough to shave for god sakes, do you think we'd know who Vince Lombardi is if he didn't inherit a talent laden roster, sure maybe, but it took talent for Vince to be a household name, no chicken, no chicken soup.