2020 General Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Apr 2020 04:16
I expect 4 QBs, 1 RB, 6 WRs, 6 OTs, 3 edge, 3 DTs, 3 LBs, and 6 CBs to go in the 1st. Just my prediction on how things shake out.
Six CBs!??!?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Apr 2020 04:16
I expect 4 QBs, 1 RB, 6 WRs, 6 OTs, 3 edge, 3 DTs, 3 LBs, and 6 CBs to go in the 1st. Just my prediction on how things shake out.
QB - yep
RB - doubt any go
WR - 5-7
OT - yep + 1 IOL likely
DT - yep, but as many as 5 could sneak in
ER - 3-4
LB - I think all 4 top guys go
CB - this ones tough... as little as 2, but I can see where you get to 6
S - I think one or two go

Gun to my head...

QB - 4
WR - 6
OT - 6
IOL - 1
DT - 3
ER - 3
LB - 4
CB - 3
S - 2

Read More. Post Less.

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

Draft is also on abc again. I will probably switch between all of the networks.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Freewheelingutey wrote:
18 Apr 2020 09:58
Draft is also on abc again. I will probably switch between all of the networks.
There will be no difference between ESPN and NFLN this year. Sounds like ABC will largely use their College Football Analysts which is kind of interesting.
NFL Draft Schedule (April 23-25):
-- Thurs, April 23 (8-11:30 p.m. ET): NFL Draft, Rd 1 -- ABC, ESPN, NFL Network, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Radio
-- Fri, April 24 (7-11:30 p.m.): NFL Draft, Rds 2 and 3 -- ABC, ESPN, NFL Network, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Radio
-- Sat, April 25 (12-7 p.m.): NFL Draft, Rds 4–7 -- ABC, ESPN, NFL Network, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Radio

ESPN and NFL Network:
Trey Wingo will host all three days of ESPN's NFL Draft coverage for the fourth consecutive year, based in Bristol. Wingo will be joined remotely by ESPN analysts Mel Kiper Jr. (37th draft), Louis Riddick (sixth) and Booger McFarland (third). NFL Network host Rich Eisen (17th), Draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah (eighth) and Pro Football Hall of Famers Michael Irvin (Ninth) and Kurt Warner (10th) will also contribute remotely all three days. ESPN NFL host Suzy Kolber will conduct remote interviews with NFL draftees from an ESPN studio, and ESPN Senior NFL Insiders Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter will again be part of the three-day telecast, providing updates from their respective homes.

ABC:
Hosts Rece Davis, Jesse Palmer and Maria Taylor will lead ABC's unique prime-time presentation of the NFL Draft on April 23-24. Featuring NFL Draft analyst Todd McShay (12th draft, first commentating on all seven rounds) and college football analysts Kirk Herbstreit (third), Desmond Howard (third), David Pollack (third), and correspondent/feature reporter Tom Rinaldi, ABC will focus on storytelling and the journey draft prospects and their families have taken to get to the NFL. Davis, Palmer, Taylor and Rinaldi will be in-studio in Bristol.

McShay will join Wingo and the ESPN/NFL Network crew for Rounds 4-7 on Sat., April 25.

ESPN reporters will cover the NFL Draft virtually for ABC, ESPN, and NFL Network. Assignments include:
-- Josina Anderson (covering Vikings, Redskins, Browns, 49ers)
-- Jeff Darlington (Dolphins, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Chiefs)
-- Dan Graziano (Packers, Lions, Chargers, Panthers, Raiders)
-- Sal Paolantonio (Giants, Ravens, Eagles, Jets)
-- Mike Reiss (Patriots)
-- Dianna Russini (Titans, Bengals, Saints, Falcons)
-- Ed Werder (Broncos, Seahawks, Cowboys, Cardinals)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... n-espn-abc

Read More. Post Less.

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

Getting more excited by the day!! Can't wait to see what goodells, krafts and jones' basements look like..lol!
Gonna be weird with the no fans..early nfl years draft look..well with alot more coverage.
Hoping gutey doesn't have any later ted years moments and passes quality starters at positions of need..only to draft 2 cbs back to back tthat should have never been drafted that high..or drafted to play another position.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Are there any mock drafts on YouTube that have actual player clips?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
18 Apr 2020 13:25
Are there any mock drafts on YouTube that have actual player clips?
:)

Sweet, found one. Realizing I have never seen some of these guys.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

So last year going into the draft, we needed a starting S and a starting OG, while the rest of the needs were more about depth or development for a future need. As a result, we had a draft in which 8 players were selected. The starting S was selected in the first round and the starting OG was selected in the second round. Those two are the only two players from the draft that played at least 300 snaps (865, 964) from scrimmage. Only #12 pick Rashaan Gary got between 100 and 300, with the rest coming in below 100 snaps.

This year, as much as we want a RT of the future, a C of the future, a DL improvement, and a CB of the future, and maybe a RB of the future, I was thinking about what we actually have available in terms of starting jobs. Obviously, with the caveat that technically everyone is capable of losing their starting job or of earning a job they don't have... I think a top-3 WR is really the ONLY starting job available right now. The second ILB job is sort of a half as it's tough to consider that a "starting" job the way we run the D. Anyone could win a starting TE job out of our group, but the position is well-known to have less rookie impact AND this is a particularly weak draft class for it, making the acquisition of a starter at TE through the draft HIGHLY unlikely.

I say that primarily to point out that we shouldn't expect a HUGE impact from this year's draft class right away (especially without a regular offseason likely), and also to take some pressure off of the positional needs. Pretty much, as long as we take a WR in the top 65, we have a good chance at filling our starting line-up, and a rookie ILB is probably the only other position where the selected player has a good chance at making their presence known, unless as rookie CB wins the starting nickel role.

Agree? Disagree? Have I overlooked something?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Apr 2020 14:33
Agree? Disagree? Have I overlooked something?
I disagree with your assessment that we needed a starting OG going into last Draft. Lane Taylor and Billy Turner were the favorites to hold those jobs even after we drafted Jenkins, but he got a shot at it in camp and still lost out to Taylor. Injury gave him the job and he never looked back.

As far as this year, yeah, hard to argue, although I would add Nickel CB and DT to that list. I know we have options and have Lowry, but he doesn't fit in that spot. He is a DE, so the starting spot, ideally is the spot normally filled by Lancaster/Adams, etc. Also, that Hybrid S/LB guy currently is Raven Greene, but always a spot you could upgrade.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
18 Apr 2020 15:17
I disagree with your assessment that we needed a starting OG going into last Draft. Lane Taylor and Billy Turner were the favorites to hold those jobs even after we drafted Jenkins, but he got a shot at it in camp and still lost out to Taylor. Injury gave him the job and he never looked back.

As far as this year, yeah, hard to argue, although I would add Nickel CB and DT to that list. I know we have options and have Lowry, but he doesn't fit in that spot. He is a DE, so the starting spot, ideally is the spot normally filled by Lancaster/Adams, etc. Also, that Hybrid S/LB guy currently is Raven Greene, but always a spot you could upgrade.
Yeah, that's a good point about the OG. We DID have it filled; a lot of us just hated Taylor. I agree a bit about DT here, though unless we get one in the first round, I wouldn't expect a rookie starter; more likely a rotational player for that position. I'd rather sign Snacks Harrison on the cheap for now. And I agree that nickel could be open depending on who comes.

I am developing a small-sample-size theory that MLF does not like playing rookies unless it necessitates itself. Right now it's tough to tell with only one year of evidence. But giving Taylor the opening day job "because of experience" was a sign, and the overall snap counts of the rookie class last year are another. This year, I could see something similar happening with only maybe a WR cracking the majority of snaps barring a necessary injury replacement.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

In the past few days I've been researching RBs and so far i'm very underwhelmed. There's no bona-fide talents. There are some useful solid contributors for 2nd/3rd rounds but the depth is poor.

Where the Packers are concerned I expect us to look into drafting a RB in case contract discussions with Jones doesn't work out. The fact Dex Williams contributed very little last season does not help either. In our offensive system we will want a back who is a one cut and go type runner, someone who can get north/south quickly.

The bad news is (so far in my research) there are very few good backs who fit that mold. The best one I suppose is Jonathan Taylor but he has fumble issues, alot of wear on his tyres and I have questionmarks over his vision since the OL is great at making holes for him.

I can see us taking a flyer on Antonio Gibson but that's like doing the Ty Montgomery experiment all over again. I'm decidedly lukewarm on that idea.

Are there any RBs that might fit our offensive system I need to be made aware of?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I think Taylor is an absolute stud.

I get confused sometimes how Zeke Elliot becomes a consensus top 5 pick and Taylor might not go in the first.

Vision is elite, breaking tackles elite; blazing speed and acceleration, amazing size for that speed and agility, can jump through the roof. He’s been durable, productive, pass blocks well. He is no worse in the passing game when Zeke came out. Not saying Zeke isn’t good, but what is Taylor missing that he has? Looks better on paper to me.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Chilli wrote:
18 Apr 2020 16:41
Are there any RBs that might fit our offensive system I need to be made aware of?
Admittedly, this guy does do a little extra dancing when he should commit to a lane, but I am loving Eno Benjamin for his running/receiving ability. He really jumped out at me for his routes and explosiveness while trying to watch Brandon Ayiuk film of the Arizona St offense. He earned Football Outsiders' best metric for value added through the receiving game, and his running is good, too. Had he come out last year off his best season, he'd have been a Day Two type of player.

I also am thrilled with the prospect of Antonio Gibson which you are lukewarm about. The Ty Montgomery experiment was tricky because we drafted him to play WR, not RB, because his hands were questionable, his deep ball tracking was questionable, and his speed was sub-par for the position. Moving him to RB was giving him a chance to get into space after having failed to emerge as a WR threat. He was a return man and gadget that we tried to peg into a starting role.

Gibson has played more RB (though hasn't played much at all), is being asked to play RB, so his deep ball tracking doesn't come into play, and is SIGNIFICANTLY more athletic and explosive than TyMo. The fact that we TRIED TyMo shows how valuable a dynamic runner/receiver can be. The fact that TyMo failed is no reason to avoid trying again. If you draft a raw talent in the 3rd or 4th round at any position, the failure of that talent to develop and play out doesn't mean that you should avoid all raw talent again.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Just want to make sure it is very clear I want to boisterously state I am in the don’t draft a QB club.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Chilli wrote:
Ke'Shaun Vaughn is also the type of back who fits a one-cut system, but he had a rough final season and didn't flash at the allstar game, either. I liked him for us after 2018, but he feels more mediocre now--like his explosiveness was sapped. He was supposed to be a real speedster, but "only" ran a 4.51 (I know that's plenty for a RB, but it was below expectations for him) and had underwhelming jumps. Check out his 2018 tape, though, and he looks like a more explosive straight line rusher with experience and patience running the outside zone

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

BF004 wrote:
18 Apr 2020 17:10
I think Taylor is an absolute stud.

I get confused sometimes how Zeke Elliot becomes a consensus top 5 pick and Taylor might not go in the first.

Vision is elite, breaking tackles elite; blazing speed and acceleration, amazing size for that speed and agility, can jump through the roof. He’s been durable, productive, pass blocks well. He is no worse in the passing game when Zeke came out. Not saying Zeke isn’t good, but what is Taylor missing that he has? Looks better on paper to me.
I can see why you think that. He does show alot of good stuff on tape. I'm a little more reserved and i'm not quite ready to anoint him as an elite back. I will need to watch the tape again to see if what you're saying matches the tape and that my initial concerns are overblown.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Apr 2020 17:14
Chilli wrote:
Admittedly, this guy does do a little extra dancing when he should commit to a lane, but I am loving Eno Benjamin for his running/receiving ability. He really jumped out at me for his routes and explosiveness while trying to watch Brandon Ayiuk film of the Arizona St offense. He earned Football Outsiders' best metric for value added through the receiving game, and his running is good, too. Had he come out last year off his best season, he'd have been a Day Two type of player.

I also am thrilled with the prospect of Antonio Gibson which you are lukewarm about. The Ty Montgomery experiment was tricky because we drafted him to play WR, not RB, because his hands were questionable, his deep ball tracking was questionable, and his speed was sub-par for the position. Moving him to RB was giving him a chance to get into space after having failed to emerge as a WR threat. He was a return man and gadget that we tried to peg into a starting role.

Gibson has played more RB (though hasn't played much at all), is being asked to play RB, so his deep ball tracking doesn't come into play, and is SIGNIFICANTLY more athletic and explosive than TyMo. The fact that we TRIED TyMo shows how valuable a dynamic runner/receiver can be. The fact that TyMo failed is no reason to avoid trying again. If you draft a raw talent in the 3rd or 4th round at any position, the failure of that talent to develop and play out doesn't mean that you should avoid all raw talent again.
I watched Eno Benjamin earlier today and I wasn't a fan. Initially I thought he lacked burst and playmaking ability. He's capable of working through traffic but he didn't have me going wow. I will watch the tape again to see if I missed anything.

I agree it is foolish for me to write off Gibson because of the Montgomery experiment. I liked Gibson running ability on tape and thought he was better as a running back than as a receiver. His speed is good and is capable of subtle feints to fool tacklers. There are things to work with here but he will be a project rather than an immediate contributor.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Apr 2020 17:24
Chilli wrote:
Ke'Shaun Vaughn is also the type of back who fits a one-cut system, but he had a rough final season and didn't flash at the allstar game, either. I liked him for us after 2018, but he feels more mediocre now--like his explosiveness was sapped. He was supposed to be a real speedster, but "only" ran a 4.51 (I know that's plenty for a RB, but it was below expectations for him) and had underwhelming jumps. Check out his 2018 tape, though, and he looks like a more explosive straight line rusher with experience and patience running the outside zone
I just finished watching Vaughn a short while ago and he does everything well to a good standard but like you said I was too underwhelmed by his speed. I think he will be a reliable contributor at NFL level at the very least. I'm not sure if he fits our offensive scheme though, initially he didn't strike me as a one cut runner. Now you said It I have to go back and watch the tape again, especially 2018.

James Robinson is someone I kinda like. Again like Vaughn his speed doesn't jump out but he does alot of things well, he will finds holes and get up the field in a hurry. He keeps it simple with minimal fuss. I think he is a better fit for our system but not sure if LaFleur wants a RB that lacks speed.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

Just continuing my RB research this morning.

Another name has cropped up that I feel could be a good fit for our offensive system. Darrynton Evans. He plays very naturally and has very good game speed. He has shown he can wait for holes to open up and he can cut in and quickly run up the field and he has enough shiftiness to work his way through traffic too. He has also shown he is capable of receiving passes and turning them into positive gains. He got tools that we can work with.

He is somewhat similar size to Aaron Jones but he's not as stocky - he's a little thin framed. That leads me to having concerns about his ability to run through the middle and to play physical when needed. Other than that there's alot to like about his game.

Shanahan likes his RBs to have speed and I have to assume that LaFleur is of the same mind. Jones was perfect for him and we drafted D.Williams because he previously shown he is capable of making a cut and getting up to speed quickly. Whether LaFleur wants his RB bigger I don't know?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Polk ended up running a 4.28, a blazing time. Having Herock clock it and tape it provides credibility to the NFL, as Herock said he shot the video in a way that teams can time the run themselves. (His son, Shaun, is a Cleveland Browns scout and said he timed it at 4.3 off video, which is still extremely fast.)

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/police-rai ... 39999.html

For the players who weren’t among the 337 invited to the NFL scouting combine, becoming one of the 255 players selected will be increasingly difficult because of a lack of verified medical records, measurements and the traditional pro day workouts.

“A lot of these guys will slip through the cracks,” said former NFL scout Richard Shelton, “which is unfortunate.”

the cracks will be even wider this year, and Gm's and scouts will have to rely on every note they wrote watching and getting film on last years college games, a lot of the small school guys are bound to be over looked.