Joe Barry reportedly to be hired as DC

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 May 2021 11:39
Also worth noting that Summers was playing ahead of Martin :idn:
Yeah I thought that was a BIG story.

I had the suspicion that people were overestimating Martin's potential role far too much.

Yes he has power on his hits. But that dude played terrible last year. Some of the worst LB we have seen and that is saying a lot. He can't find the ball or the right hole to save his life. And when he did, he still didn't close.

He absolutely has potential. But the dude was so off last year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
26 May 2021 11:41
YoHoChecko wrote:
26 May 2021 11:39
Also worth noting that Summers was playing ahead of Martin :idn:
Yeah I thought that was a BIG story.

I had the suspicion that people were overestimating Martin's potential role far too much.

Yes he has power on his hits. But that dude played terrible last year. Some of the worst LB we have seen and that is saying a lot. He can't find the ball or the right hole to save his life. And when he did, he still didn't close.

He absolutely has potential. But the dude was so off last year.
Yeah, and for what it's worth, Ty Summers is an absolutely outstanding player aside from the fact that he cannot finish a tackle to save his life, which just happens to be the most important part of his job.

But every time he's on the field, he winds up in the right spot to make plays. He just whiffs. So if the tackling can be improved (which seems like the sort of skill that should be improvable) then maybe he puts it together and becomes not-a-liability. But getting the reps now, in the non-tackle period, won't tell anyone much.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Joe Barry speaking to the press in a few minutes.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
26 May 2021 12:54
Is it good having Krys Barnes and Kamal Martin in there?

JB: We also have Summers and OB in there

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 May 2021 13:02
NCF wrote:
26 May 2021 12:54
Is it good having Krys Barnes and Kamal Martin in there?

JB: We also have Summers and OB in there
I thought that was interesting, too. What if Barry actually could pull some talent from Burks? Would be really be something from nothing.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

On nickel/star:

In Los Angeles, Jalen (Ramsey) part-timed it in there depending on the game plan and expect it to be the same here. It's really vital, but we have a lot of guys we're going to rep in there.

Gray does a great job of teaching the philosophy, so that'll help players prepare to slide in for that unique position by knowing exactly what's asked of them.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Looking to find the sweet spot for players to be as big as possible while still able to move, run, be fast....

specified Kenny Clark and Preston (question was about Kenny Clark, Barry added Preston unless I misheard)

Says they both look fantastic, perfect, wonderful, great; they've put the work in

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

On maximizing snaps for the 3 OLBs:

Up front you have a rotation; you can't have enough pass rushers. All three are exciting. We'll have 2 on the field, all 3 on the field; we'll move them around. All 3 are in a great place; look great, have been working their butts off out of the building; great to have them here

Also mentioned they'll see who emerges as the 4th.

Asked about 3-DL, 1 LB schemes last year:

Have to see who your personnel is, but we will implement as many different personnel groups as they can. League has become a personnel-driven league; offenses have really done that and there are no rules that defense can't do the same thing.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Missed some large chunks of the presser because the Blue Angel jets are doing their Naval Academy graduation air show above my house at the moment

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Jerry Gray...

who's the best for the star?

We've got 4 or 5 guys and are rolling them through; by the season, we think we'll have honed in on one or two guys.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Kirk Oviwhatever same thing...

asked about ILBs Krys and Kamaal in terms of rookie minicamps and getting on-field time, immediately added that Summers, too, though not a rookie, would have really benefitted from the second-year time on the field.

Summers is officially now my offseason player to watch for unexpected improvement

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Oren Burks officially back at ILB

backhanded compliment of the year: "he's great at learning and he's great on the practice field."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Says each ILB is being asked to focus on one or two areas of improvement, specifically; focus on learning the defense and on one or two things they've pointed out. Once they get there, then they'll work on improving other things. But trying to do it all at once won't get it done.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Mike Smith, OLB coach, seems once-again blown away with how good Gary looks after an offseason of hard work "in ridiculous shape"

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Delonte Scott back at OLB again after being tried at DL, which makes sense to me, at least

Mike Smith calls him "my rookie" since he doesn't have anyone else new in the room

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

from SI

The Trend

“All right, here’s the issue with defenses in the league: Between quarterback runs and play-action passes, they’re getting shredded. You’ve even had teams that can’t run the ball have a lot of success with play-action passes. To combat it, some defenses have brought an extra guy in the box and gone with smaller linebackers who can run.

But I think it’s going to go the other way now. You’re going to see more big people up front—300-plus pounders—to stop the run. It will be as if teams will say, ‘Prove to us that you can run against our front four before we bring down an extra guy.’ Tampa did it last year. Look at what the Chiefs are doing now. They got Jaran Reed this offseason and they’re going to play him and [Derrick] Nnadi at defensive tackle. Both of them are 325, 330ish. And Chris Jones at 315 is going to play defensive end. This is why Baltimore and Pittsburgh are always good. Same approach. And those bigs up front will allow flexibility in the back seven to stop whatever it is the defense has to stop. Quarterback runs. Speed sweeps. Play-action passes. It’s going to allow more versatility in defensive game plans. Big teams will have more versatility and the small, fast defenses won’t have the same luxury."
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
06 Jul 2021 10:55
from SI

The Trend

“All right, here’s the issue with defenses in the league: Between quarterback runs and play-action passes, they’re getting shredded. You’ve even had teams that can’t run the ball have a lot of success with play-action passes. To combat it, some defenses have brought an extra guy in the box and gone with smaller linebackers who can run.

But I think it’s going to go the other way now. You’re going to see more big people up front—300-plus pounders—to stop the run. It will be as if teams will say, ‘Prove to us that you can run against our front four before we bring down an extra guy.’ Tampa did it last year. Look at what the Chiefs are doing now. They got Jaran Reed this offseason and they’re going to play him and [Derrick] Nnadi at defensive tackle. Both of them are 325, 330ish. And Chris Jones at 315 is going to play defensive end. This is why Baltimore and Pittsburgh are always good. Same approach. And those bigs up front will allow flexibility in the back seven to stop whatever it is the defense has to stop. Quarterback runs. Speed sweeps. Play-action passes. It’s going to allow more versatility in defensive game plans. Big teams will have more versatility and the small, fast defenses won’t have the same luxury."
Ok, worth noting here though that the Steelers routinely field 3-4 DEs in the 280 range, which we often consider undersized for iDL

But yes, I like the idea of big players up front rather than extra players up front.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

1. PITTSBURGH STEELERS
The Steelers are coming off one of the best pass-rushing seasons we’ve seen since 2006, generating pressure on a whopping 45.1% of their pass-rushing snaps over the regular season.

It was a well-rounded effort, with Defensive Player of the Year hopeful T.J. Watt leading the way with 73 total pressures (third in the NFL) and both Stephon Tuitt (71 pressures) and Cameron Heyward (62 pressures) not far behind that mark. Having three of the top 10 pressure producers on the same defense is a remarkable feat, particularly considering Pittsburgh lost starting edge defender Bud Dupree midway through the season.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020 ... h-rankings

I brought this a while back when we talked about getting pressure inside versus just from the edge, imo when ya get pressure inside it also helps edge rushers, as I'am sure it did with TJ WAtt, and also with Z Smith 2 year4s ago with us, Clark forces offenses to double him which leaves Z singled up, he was the pressure champ that season, we need Keke or one of the other to take the next step.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

I don't know about the historical trend for the Steelers, but they are listed at 294, 294, 304 across the front according to Ourlads

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

Joe Barry had some big DL in front of his LBs in LA too - Brockers was listed at 322, Robinson at 304, Aaron Donald the lightweight at 285

The interesting thing to me is the idea of actually playing more often with 3 DL instead of just 2. GB finished last year with about 2100 snaps on the DL where you'd be closer to 3000 snaps if you played 3 DL all the time. By comparison, the Rams played 2600 snaps at DL in 2020
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
06 Jul 2021 11:29
I don't know about the historical trend for the Steelers, but they are listed at 294, 294, 304 across the front according to Ourlads

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

Joe Barry had some big DL in front of his LBs in LA too - Brockers was listed at 322, Robinson at 304, Aaron Donald the lightweight at 285

The interesting thing to me is the idea of actually playing more often with 3 DL instead of just 2. GB finished last year with about 2100 snaps on the DL where you'd be closer to 3000 snaps if you played 3 DL all the time. By comparison, the Rams played 2600 snaps at DL in 2020
Yes, this is what I want. 3 DL much much more often. The 2 DL nickel package bums me out.