JJ Watt

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
16 Feb 2021 12:29
NCF wrote:
16 Feb 2021 12:03
I remember being upset with a lot of these.

Marshawn Lynch was a biggie. Tony Gonzalez hurt. Even Will Fuller hurt a little. But yeah, Moss for a 4th was hard to beat.
Didn't we offer a 4th but the Raiders took the Patriot's 4th instead?
I think the Patroits upped there offer to a 3rd, Ted felt he made a fair offer and figured it would escallate into a bidding war and he'd have to give a 2nd, the length of the contract is up to the player, and Moss wanted to play with Farve big time, so I don't think length of contract was the deciding factor in the Moss situation.

Ted did this sort of thing with other FA interest like Lynch, Gonzo, and who was that safety we missed out on, urrrrr, my memory is getting really bad, but I remember being upset cause we didn't get him either, Ted cared so much about his draft picks he let really good players slide by, Moss is probably the worst one.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Feb 2021 13:16
TheGreenMan wrote:
16 Feb 2021 13:13
Lynch, from the group of guys mentioned, was the only one that really bummed me out.

Honestly, I get more bummed out lately about this team letting our guys go and seeing them flourish elsewhere. And we've got a handful of those on D.
Blunder draft picks. HHCD forced out Hyde. Randall and Rollins forced out Hayward. None of those picks finished out their rookie deals and both DBs went to the pro bowl after leaving. Poor decisions by TT.
Hyde was never better then HHCD and Hayward sucked in man coverage, never beat out Tramon Williams, thats why they where traded, Hayward went to a team that plays cover 2, same with Hyde, Capers used more single high man coverage, watch how good King becomes in a zone scheme, lis, if he was still a 2nd year player with Berry probably using the cover 2 zone I think he'd be a much better corner for us.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Yoop wrote:
16 Feb 2021 14:02
lupedafiasco wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
Lynch, from the group of guys mentioned, was the only one that really bummed me out.

Honestly, I get more bummed out lately about this team letting our guys go and seeing them flourish elsewhere. And we've got a handful of those on D.
Blunder draft picks. HHCD forced out Hyde. Randall and Rollins forced out Hayward. None of those picks finished out their rookie deals and both DBs went to the pro bowl after leaving. Poor decisions by TT.
Hyde was never better then HHCD and Hayward sucked in man coverage, never beat out Tramon Williams, thats why they where traded, Hayward went to a team that plays cover 2, same with Hyde, Capers used more single high man coverage, watch how good King becomes in a zone scheme, lis, if he was still a 2nd year player with Berry probably using the cover 2 zone I think he'd be a much better corner for us.
My opinion is Hyde is light years better than Clinton-Dix. C-D being a first round pick probably forced the Packers to keep him over Hyde.
Hyde played well for the Packers and has done the same with the Bills. The same can't be said for Clinton-Dix. The Pack traded him, Washington let him walk. The Cowboys found out he was nothing. Unless I'm mistaken, nobody picked him up last year. If someone did, he hardly saw the field.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Christo wrote:
16 Feb 2021 14:38
Unless I'm mistaken, nobody picked him up last year. If someone did, he hardly saw the field.
A little bit of both.
On April 7, 2020, the Dallas Cowboys signed Clinton-Dix to a one-year, $3.75 million contract that includes $2.25 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $1.25 million. He reunited with new Cowboys' head coach Mike McCarthy, who also held the same position with the Green Bay Packers. He was expected to be named one of the starters at safety and replace the recent free agent loss of Jeff Heath, but he was passed on the depth chart by Darian Thompson during training camp. Even though his contract included $2.25 million guaranteed in earnings, he was released one week before the start of the regular season on September 3, 2020.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
16 Feb 2021 14:50
Christo wrote:
16 Feb 2021 14:38
Unless I'm mistaken, nobody picked him up last year. If someone did, he hardly saw the field.
A little bit of both.
On April 7, 2020, the Dallas Cowboys signed Clinton-Dix to a one-year, $3.75 million contract that includes $2.25 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $1.25 million. He reunited with new Cowboys' head coach Mike McCarthy, who also held the same position with the Green Bay Packers. He was expected to be named one of the starters at safety and replace the recent free agent loss of Jeff Heath, but he was passed on the depth chart by Darian Thompson during training camp. Even though his contract included $2.25 million guaranteed in earnings, he was released one week before the start of the regular season on September 3, 2020.
I think where confusing ( maybe I'am) ability and desire, Dix showed in his first month of pro ball that he was better then Hyde, better instincts, and better in coverage, I wish I could remember who the TE was that was burning Burnett, Hyde, Capers put Dix on him man up and that was the end for that TE, plus Dix was a pick magnet, right place, right time, say what ya will about degree of difficulty, however he still made those picks, and either led or was 2nd on the team in tackles every season, that he has not played up to his ability imo is a mental thing, we saw that change happen his last 1.5 years with us, that doesn't mean he wasn't good his first 2.5 years with us.
lots of very good players lack heart and burn out quick, course the stats wont measure that, fans got on Dix as soon as Ted drafted him, we wanted Mosely, or Shaizer, once they where gone Dix was the obvious choice, probaly would have fit better as a SS, but we already had a good one with Barnett, after Dix's 2nd season PFF and others thought Burny andf Dix where the top 5 safety duo's in the league.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I see a large contract for JJ. Probably something like 4 years 76-82mil.
Love is the answer…

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Foosball wrote:
16 Feb 2021 15:22
Surely not from a team paying other players to help JJ be in position to win a Súper bowl
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Foosball wrote:
If he is looking for that kind of a payday he's gonna have a hard time finding a playoff contender. Most of the best teams from last year don't have a lot of cap space.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:

Don’t do drugs kids.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Foosball wrote:
I can’t remember if it was spotrac or OTC that placed his market value at 14.5. I estimated it will probably be 15 million with a low year one cap hit, high in the second year, and his third as a painful but possible get out year.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Foosball wrote:
If that happens, I see a GM losing his job in the not too distant future.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If JJs only goal was to make 18-20m per year and lose he could have just stayed in Houston.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Feb 2021 17:23
If JJs only goal was to make 18-20m per year and lose he could have just stayed in Houston.
He had one year left on his deal. Non guaranteed. It was a mutual parting. They are in rebuild mode and Watt at 32 didn't want to be part of that, and I suspect that the Texans didn't want to give him a new deal either.

Additionally, he was pretty vocal about not liking the culture of the locker room. The Texans are a mess.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Feb 2021 17:23
He doesn’t want to lose. There are 5-6 teams competing for an all decade player. One will come up with an offer he can’t refuse.
Love is the answer…

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Well A) JJ wasn’t gunna get 18-20 in Houston. B) JJ was released, wasn’t necessarily his option to stay in Houston C) with this offseason and COVID, no one is going to give him 18-20.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Feb 2021 15:52
Yoop wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Don’t do drugs kids.

get serious, both Hayward and Hyde had a good season for there new teams and have been average ever sense, real funny grunt.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
16 Feb 2021 18:36
lupedafiasco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Don’t do drugs kids.

get serious, both Hayward and Hyde had a good season for there new teams and have been average ever sense, real funny grunt.
:roll: :thwap: :idn:

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/c ... ecade-2020

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/06 ... ty-tandem/

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Don’t do drugs kids.

Proof that yoop can travel through multiple dimensions but at the cost of mixing up his realities.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

BF004 wrote:
16 Feb 2021 18:26
Well A) JJ wasn’t gunna get 18-20 in Houston. B) JJ was released, wasn’t necessarily his option to stay in Houston C) with this offseason and COVID, no one is going to give him 18-20.
Watt asked to be released.
Love is the answer…

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
16 Feb 2021 20:47
Yoop wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Don’t do drugs kids.

:roll: :thwap: :idn:

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/c ... ecade-2020

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/06 ... ty-tandem/
I looked it up, Hayward had two very good season, Hyde, one, nice try. you guys went hog wild over a couple season in a scheme that fit both better,

Lupe: Damereous Randall has as good of stats as Hyde, you slam all Teds draft picks using hindsight and a stat sheet as though that makes you smart or something.