49ers @ Packers - NFCD Playoff GDT - 1/22 - 7:15 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
20 Jan 2022 08:12
BF004 wrote:
20 Jan 2022 07:57
Can’t believe how hard it is find people who wanna go tailgate for a few hours then come home and watch the game on TV. I need some new friends.
Come pick me up.
I have a better deal, come pick me up (only 45 min. from NCF) AND find a babysitter for my boys!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Jan 2022 08:14
NCF wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Can’t believe how hard it is find people who wanna go tailgate for a few hours then come home and watch the game on TV. I need some new friends.
Come pick me up.
I have a better deal, come pick me up (only 45 min. from NCF) AND find a babysitter for my boys!
NCF's kid can babysit =)

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Come pick me up.
Me too. Only a 16 hr one-way trip away…

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I did the standing room only tickets for the Steelers game, it was nice. We never even made it up to where we were supposed to go. Just kept standing on the 2nd level area for like 3-30 minutes at a time till security told us to find our seats. Had about 50th row, 30 yard line to 30 yard line viewing the entire game. :lol:

Don't yell at me [mention]Bogey[/mention]

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

An opposing fan analysis of the Saturday matchup. This guy is pretty well respected on the 49er forum site I’ve been perusing this week.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

APB wrote:
20 Jan 2022 10:32
An opposing fan analysis of the Saturday matchup. This guy is pretty well respected on the 49er forum site I’ve been perusing this week.

The one thing I chuckled at was when he said "I can guarantee that Jimmy G won't make the same mistake" Uhhh you sure about that?

It was good analysis though.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:

So basically ten minutes to say "If Kenny Clark wrecks their OL again, they have no chance; but if Kenny Clark is unable to wreck their OL, they can run it on us."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Jan 2022 10:56
APB wrote:

video removed
So basically ten minutes to say "If Kenny Clark wrecks their OL again, they have no chance; but if Kenny Clark is unable to wreck their OL, they can run it on us."
:lol: :)

Pretty much. Kenny was rag-dolling Mack left and right. If KC brings his man game again, as he does consistently, their hopes for run dominance will be dashed.

I also thought it cute this guy brought several clips from the 2019 match-up. Different coaching, different philosophy, different players…no matter, let’s roll that film again!! I suppose I get it but with an abundance of fresh tape from THIS YEAR I’d have thought there would be plenty of examples to use rather than harkening back to footage from yesteryear.

I have found their fan base to just instinctively think they’re gonna road grade us based on 2019. It’s funny, really. The “30th ranked run defense” stat is gobbled up like it’s Jell-O shots at a teen house party. The “soft” narrative is also still widely assumed. I tried to push back on that some but there was no hope…we’re soft. Always have been, always will be. :lol:

I really can’t wait for this weekend.

It looks as though my travels this week will extend into Saturday so I’ll have to find a local bar somewhere to cheer them on. I’ll either be in Pittsburgh, Houston, or somewhere in between as I ferry a helicopter cross-country back to its Texas home.

Wherever I end up, I’ll be geared up, cheered up, and beered up! :beer2: :banana:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
20 Jan 2022 11:20
I have found their fan base to just instinctively think they’re gonna road grade us based on 2019. It’s funny, really. The “30th ranked run defense” stat is gobbled up like it’s Jell-O shots at a teen house party. The “soft” narrative is also still widely assumed. I tried to push back on that some but there was no hope…we’re soft. Always have been, always will be.
There's a weird thing I remember here from the late Manning, early Rodgers days...

I forget who, but someone was talking about how difficult it is to be a great defense when you have a great QB and how it stems from two angles:
  • First, opposing teams KNOW they have to score against great QBs, so they will use more tricks, deception, and take more chances (be it deep shots or going for it on 4th down) in a "nothing to lose" mentality
  • Second, and more interesting, is the potential for defensive psychology to be impacted by the knowledge that you have a QB that can bail you out. It's so rare to FEEL the urgency of making a stop or creating a shutout; and how you can get leaders and motivators all you want, but over time, the fact that you can get away with worse play and win leads to worse play

I always think of that when people talk about teams being "soft" who have great QB play. That maybe that killer instinct on the defensive side of the ball is just that much more difficult to maintain, even for well-paid, highly motivated professional athletes.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Jan 2022 11:25
Second, and more interesting, is the potential for defensive psychology to be impacted by the knowledge that you have a QB that can bail you out. It's so rare to FEEL the urgency of making a stop or creating a shutout; and how you can get leaders and motivators all you want, but over time, the fact that you can get away with worse play and win leads to worse play
This describes 2011, IMO. Going 15-1 did us no favors. I think a few more regular season losses would have shined a brighter light on the fact that the defense wasn't playing good enough.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Might be no news, but certainly not good news.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
20 Jan 2022 12:13

Not sure on Bakhtiari since he did practice yesterday. MVS not practicing is not encouraging.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
20 Jan 2022 12:13
MVS is certainly news; no practice so far this week at all.

Bakh, who knows. Tough to tell what's load management and rest versus what's a hiccup. Hopefully the fluid buildup hasn't made a return.

Maybe it'll even out and Bosa misses the game, anyway :|

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I wonder if they would let MVS go on no practice (if he is able). Considering he is clearly the #4 WR with Cobb back in the mix, I am not sure if that would make it more likely or less likely that he goes. Like, if the ask is running 10-15 deep routes during the course of the game, I don't see a reason to hesitate if he is physically able.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

What are the odds Bak and Nijman swap series? MLF has talked about how continuity is important. But if Bak's only problem is getting winded, how do you keep him out for the whole game (if it comes to that)?
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
20 Jan 2022 12:33
What are the odds Bak and Nijman swap series? MLF has talked about how continuity is important. But if Bak's only problem is getting winded, how do you keep him out for the whole game (if it comes to that)?
Yeah, I'm intrigued by this. Obviously, OL work is about teamwork and knowing the guys next to you really helps. Intuitively, and according to the coaches, continuity is an issue.

But as 23 has pointed out throughout the year, and others have agreed, we have had no continuity on the OL with players moving around, in, and out of the lineup. JRJ should be pretty familiar with Nijman by now, and is getting reps with Bakh. Switching throughout the game may be as much on how JRJ is feeling about mentally making the appropriate adjustments as it would have to do with Nijman and Bakh themselves.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I wonder if the temps the last 2 days had anything to do with MVS being out both days.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Jan 2022 13:03
I wonder if the temps the last 2 days had anything to do with MVS being out both days.
I considered that, too. Probably takes a lot to loosen a back up for that kind of weather.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
20 Jan 2022 13:21
Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Jan 2022 13:03
I considered that, too. Probably takes a lot to loosen a back up for that kind of weather.
So long as the cortisone is warmed and available come Saturday night….