Do we even want Rodgers back?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Do we want Rodgers back?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 35

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jan 2022 08:59
Pugger wrote:
25 Jan 2022 08:57

I suspect the reason we didn't excoriate Love after the Chief's game is because we didn't expect him to do much.
I take it you haven't ventured on this forum much after the Chiefs game?
I'm an old lady. I can't remember that far back. :lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
25 Jan 2022 09:35
Ha ha, and we are back to the bad play = bad game = bad forever thing! :rotf:

I totally agree and don't think Rodgers has been bad in the playoffs in general. But also agree that he hasn't taken advantage of certain opportunities in the playoffs when he's had them, on certain drives. AKA the "clutch moments". But I also can't say that he's overall worse at them until we compare every other QB in those situations and how they did.

Just can't happen and won't. Do I wish Rodgers had been better in moments? Yep. Was he horrible as a playoff QB? Nope. Is what it is and was what it was. I'm still of the mindset he's gone and I am ready to move on.

Ok, paco mini-rant over.
RIP JustJeff

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

If you are the “not so special teams” coordinator and you see Debo Samuels back ready to receive the kick off, wouldn’t you make sure your kicker kicked it in the end zone or at least squib kick it?

If you’re the HC and see Debo back to field the kick, wouldn’t you instruct your “not so special teams” coordinator to make sure you kick it in the end zone or squib it?

Was anyone on the sideline paying attention?
Love is the answer…

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Foosball wrote:
25 Jan 2022 09:56
If you are the “not so special teams” coordinator and you see Debo Samuels back ready to receive the kick off, wouldn’t you make sure your kicker kicked it in the end zone or at least squib kick it?

If you’re the HC and see Debo back to field the kick, wouldn’t you instruct your “not so special teams” coordinator to make sure you kick it in the end zone or squib it?

Was anyone on the sideline paying attention?
I think they still try to trust in the game-plan and think their guys will cover like they are supposed to. Not sure why after the way this year went.

Unless because of the cold and winds Crosby was having a hard time doing in consistently. But based on what I've seen this year, Crosby still can do it easily in normal conditions.
RIP JustJeff

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Foosball wrote:
24 Jan 2022 20:01
Does anyone know the drop dead date for when Rodgers would need to be traded?

Just wondering how long we have to put up with the drama.
Didn't bother to see when it ends, but since trading doesn't start until March 16th, we can check later.

https://operations.nfl.com/gameday/nfl- ... nfl-dates/

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Half Empty wrote:
25 Jan 2022 11:00
Foosball wrote:

Didn't bother to see when it ends, but since trading doesn't start until March 16th, we can check later.

Without identifying the exact date, we can just understand that the deadline for 2022 season would be the trade deadline. A lot of practical matters would dictate a much sooner internal deadline, but I would say before The Draft, if not earlier.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
25 Jan 2022 11:05
Half Empty wrote:
25 Jan 2022 11:00
Foosball wrote:

Without identifying the exact date, we can just understand that the deadline for 2022 season would be the trade deadline. A lot of practical matters would dictate a much sooner internal deadline, but I would say before The Draft, if not earlier.
I have a hard time seeing this not happening around league meeting time, if not before. Could be something that's delayed to be announced until draft day. But definitely not happening after the draft.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Other than the 9 people on this forum that voted to keep #12 on the roster in 2022, I have yet to find anyone who wants #12 to come back. Most are basically fed up with #12's drama acts.
The Pack Will Be Back!
The Freakin' Pack Will Be Back!
The Pack Will Be Freakin' Back!
We've waited 11 years (and counting) since 2010. Prior to that we waited 14 years between 1996 and 2010. Prior to that we waited 29 years between 1967 and 1996. Prior to that we waited 17 years between 1944 and 1961. Been sold out for 60+ years. Go Pack Go!

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
25 Jan 2022 13:02
Other than the 9 people on this forum that voted to keep #12 on the roster in 2022, I have yet to find anyone who wants #12 to come back. Most are basically fed up with #12's drama acts.
The Pack Will Be Back!
The Freakin' Pack Will Be Back!
The Pack Will Be Freakin' Back!
We've waited 11 years (and counting) since 2010. Prior to that we waited 14 years between 1996 and 2010. Prior to that we waited 29 years between 1967 and 1996. Prior to that we waited 17 years between 1944 and 1961. Been sold out for 60+ years. Go Pack Go!
I would welcome him back. Under the right circumstances (which won't occur).
RIP JustJeff

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

I've seen enough capologists say that even if he plays for free, we're in serious trouble. What are the 'right circumstances'?

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jan 2022 05:29
Raptorman wrote:
24 Jan 2022 22:27
go pak go wrote:
24 Jan 2022 19:43
From my perspective, the Packers had the best defense of the weekend and Rodgers couldn't get it done. That's all that matters. Not some numbers on a spreadsheet showing PPG to prove a point.

The defense showed up when they needed to show up.
You do know the other team has a defense as well? But I wouldn't blame this game on the Defense or Rodgers. I'd blame it on special, or in this case, "Not-so-special" teams. They are the ones that really blew the game. In the playoffs, one bad mistake can cost you the game, and a blocked kick that turns into a TD is a killer in a game like this. I'd go so far to say one play cost the game for the Packers.
I mean anyone can see that and say that. I have no problem saying the STs blew this game. Like duh....the STs allowed a KR to the 50 (setting up a 49ers FG), the STs had our FG blocked, and the STs had a punt blocked.

Like we all watched the game. We all know how historically bad and unforgiveable that is. We have all talked about the historic level of poor STs all season. We all wanted Drayton to be fired weeks ago.

But we also watched a game where the offense got one drive. If you can't expect your MVP to give you even 14 points (2 TDs) (even against a 3rd ranked defense)....then don't have an MVP on your team because it's a waste of resources.

Absolutely, unequivocally it is a disappointment that the league's MVP could not even produce two TD drives. The expectation with a top offense, even against a great defense, is 24 points. And so often the offense in big playoff games since the SB win has come short of that number. That is a massive disappointment.

And I'm not just pointing at the QB here. I'm pointing at the "veteran" who fumbled the ball. I'm pointing at the star RB who had an apparent clear lane to the EZ but saw ghosts and did the stupidest run after the catch I have ever seen.

I saw stupidity and choking from our most solid and trusted players now 2 years in a row on the biggest stage (Adams dropping an easy TD last year).

That's why I keep saying I look at every player and coach on the GB Packers, for the exception of everyone on the defense not named Kevin King, as absolute losers. I can't get that out of my head. They are just as much losers and choke artists as Coach Dennis Green and Gary Anderson. People that Packers fans love to make fun of.

When the game was on the line, Jimmy G stepped up and got his team into FG range. When the game has been on the line the last two years, Rodgers can't move the chains. These are just the facts that honest Packers fans have to deal with. And it is very hard to swallow.

But yes. I'm getting a little sick of the excuses for Rodgers "not having a top defense" and then changing the narrative to STs blowing it for him. Is it wrong for me to expect the MVP to help elevate and improve the odds of winning for his teammates rather than always wring your hands for the other way around?

If Jordan Love put on this performance last Sunday, he would be getting murdered right now. How do I know? Because literally the exact same thing happened this year vs the Chiefs. Love played a great Chiefs defense (seriously one of the best in the league in the 2nd half of the season), our defense played great and dropped an INT and the STs blew the game. And yet the large narrative is Love could only produce one TD drive; which is a valid point! But that same point needs to then be used here.
Well, a third-ranked defense is ranked 3rd for a reason. But you are right, maybe the great Aaron Rodgers isn't as great as Packer fans have been exclaiming all these years and it has taken this long for you all to see it. But then maybe it's on the play caller the last two years. Of course, if the ball was spread around more,.......................but whose fault is that? The play-callers or the QB's?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Half Empty wrote:
25 Jan 2022 13:08
I've seen enough capologists say that even if he plays for free, we're in serious trouble. What are the 'right circumstances'?
He makes some concessions to help with the cap and not kill us later on either. Not going to be a ton of help this year, but there can be some. I think its around $24-25M regardless of what they do. I need some answers on cap stuff before I can do the math on what him coming back could and should look like (in my eyes).

But if he's expecting to do another huge deal that hurts us now and later (cap-wise) and sign Davante to whatever he wants, and keep all his friends so he's comfortable; then no, I don't want him back.

We won't know what he's requesting if he's traded. It probably lands somewhere in the middle and I still think he ends up playing elsewhere.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Raptorman wrote:
25 Jan 2022 13:42
go pak go wrote:
25 Jan 2022 05:29
Raptorman wrote:
24 Jan 2022 22:27

You do know the other team has a defense as well? But I wouldn't blame this game on the Defense or Rodgers. I'd blame it on special, or in this case, "Not-so-special" teams. They are the ones that really blew the game. In the playoffs, one bad mistake can cost you the game, and a blocked kick that turns into a TD is a killer in a game like this. I'd go so far to say one play cost the game for the Packers.
I mean anyone can see that and say that. I have no problem saying the STs blew this game. Like duh....the STs allowed a KR to the 50 (setting up a 49ers FG), the STs had our FG blocked, and the STs had a punt blocked.

Like we all watched the game. We all know how historically bad and unforgiveable that is. We have all talked about the historic level of poor STs all season. We all wanted Drayton to be fired weeks ago.

But we also watched a game where the offense got one drive. If you can't expect your MVP to give you even 14 points (2 TDs) (even against a 3rd ranked defense)....then don't have an MVP on your team because it's a waste of resources.

Absolutely, unequivocally it is a disappointment that the league's MVP could not even produce two TD drives. The expectation with a top offense, even against a great defense, is 24 points. And so often the offense in big playoff games since the SB win has come short of that number. That is a massive disappointment.

And I'm not just pointing at the QB here. I'm pointing at the "veteran" who fumbled the ball. I'm pointing at the star RB who had an apparent clear lane to the EZ but saw ghosts and did the stupidest run after the catch I have ever seen.

I saw stupidity and choking from our most solid and trusted players now 2 years in a row on the biggest stage (Adams dropping an easy TD last year).

That's why I keep saying I look at every player and coach on the GB Packers, for the exception of everyone on the defense not named Kevin King, as absolute losers. I can't get that out of my head. They are just as much losers and choke artists as Coach Dennis Green and Gary Anderson. People that Packers fans love to make fun of.

When the game was on the line, Jimmy G stepped up and got his team into FG range. When the game has been on the line the last two years, Rodgers can't move the chains. These are just the facts that honest Packers fans have to deal with. And it is very hard to swallow.

But yes. I'm getting a little sick of the excuses for Rodgers "not having a top defense" and then changing the narrative to STs blowing it for him. Is it wrong for me to expect the MVP to help elevate and improve the odds of winning for his teammates rather than always wring your hands for the other way around?

If Jordan Love put on this performance last Sunday, he would be getting murdered right now. How do I know? Because literally the exact same thing happened this year vs the Chiefs. Love played a great Chiefs defense (seriously one of the best in the league in the 2nd half of the season), our defense played great and dropped an INT and the STs blew the game. And yet the large narrative is Love could only produce one TD drive; which is a valid point! But that same point needs to then be used here.
Well, a third-ranked defense is ranked 3rd for a reason. But you are right, maybe the great Aaron Rodgers isn't as great as Packer fans have been exclaiming all these years and it has taken this long for you all to see it. But then maybe it's on the play caller the last two years. Of course, if the ball was spread around more,.......................but whose fault is that? The play-callers or the QB's?
There is no question in my mind that Rodgers is one of the best QBs I've ever seen. But he ain't perfect. For some reason his approach to these playoff games seems different than in regular season games. He appears cautious and tentative, like he's trying too hard not to lose. He also gets tunnel vision when things break down and goes to his favorite target even if Adams isn't open and ignores or just doesn't see other options. It is rather maddening. But without him were we even in the postseason to begin with? :|
Last edited by Pugger on 25 Jan 2022 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Now that I've cooled down a bit, I can see a scenario where I would be OK with bringing Rodgers back for one more year.

If they can delay the rebuild for one more year, then I could be down with one more try.

What's important is that the D would have to be kept almost entirely intact. Bring back Rasul and DeVondre for sure. You can maybe get rid of one of the Smiths, but not both.

For one reason or another, Rodgers simply cannot get it done in the playoffs when it's all on the line. So if we are to go all the way with him, we need a defense that will not bend AND not break and scores from time to time, basically replicating the Manning in Denver model because Rodgers is that unreliable in the postseason.

Love also looks like he could maybe use another full year of development, although I kind of feel like he has had enough time that I would throw him into the deep end next season take my lumps with him and then decide if he has shown well enough. Still, another year to get him ready is kind of a plus.

If not, I would bid him farewell and blow it up. I'm like 99% in favor of going that direction, 1% trying to go the Denver Manning route.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I don't think it is feasible to bring him back for just 1 more year. We either need to extend him 2-3 more years after next year or trade him. That's probably the 2 most likely outcomes.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
25 Jan 2022 14:02
Now that I've cooled down a bit, I can see a scenario where I would be OK with bringing Rodgers back for one more year.
I don't think I will ever be calm.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Saying Rodgers can't get it done in the playoffs is strange when he has won a sb and a sb mvp.

That is literally getting it done.

In the last 2 playoff games he has been better than the opposing QB. Also it's the playoffs - they are playing the best of the best.

If Jimmy G had 4 tds I would understand the notion that Rodgers choked.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

I think what upsets a lot of us is that he got it done once. He didn't get it done a bunch of times.